Start by marking “After the Bomb” as Want to Read:
After the Bomb

After the Bomb (After the Bomb #1)

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  162 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Found this retro classic in the back of my oldest son's closet! Scholastic: 1985.
Published March 1st 1985 by Scholastic Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about After the Bomb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After the Bomb

Spider the Doof Warrior
Aug 08, 2015 Spider the Doof Warrior rated it really liked it
This book wasn't bad, but I think it's actually part of a series in which the other books WERE NOT WRITTEN!

Which means I don't get to find out what happened to everyone which is very upsetting. Basically Phillip feels out of place in his family until The Big One hits. A bomb strikes Los Angeles and he uses all the traits people don't understand in his family to save them.

This boy is tireless and amazing. His bother is sick, his mother is wounded, father is missing, the girl he loves who loves h
Spider the Doof Warrior
Good book but AUGH! Is there more?! Philip continues to be awesome, stubborn and brave as he goes out of his way to unite his family after an accidental nuclear strike from Russia. People try to tell him to stop being so stubborn, but without his bullheadedness, who knows what would have happened?

But dang it, what happened to his MOTHER?! AUGH!
Elliot
Oct 07, 2013 Elliot rated it it was amazing
By: Elliot.Garcia Auther: Gloria D. Miklowitz
This book is an audience grabbing novel; it has all the potential to make you want to hop out your chair violently. So this horrifying book is about a nuclear accident going off in the suburbs of Los Angeles and a boy named Phillip is viscously trying to locate his family after this great significant nuclear bombing.
Now if you’re a really big fan of survival/disaster books like zombie apocalypses and other interesting book similar to that, you will
Adam
Apr 01, 2009 Adam rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books as a teenager. I was obsessed with nuclear war.
They actually walk down my street in the book.
Tracy Dishman
Apr 27, 2014 Tracy Dishman rated it really liked it
quick read and at a 4th grade level but still pretty decent..
Kurazaybo
Apr 05, 2014 Kurazaybo rated it really liked it
I got this book secondhand and am very glad I discovered it. There's really nothing original about the premise (an atomic bomb is launched by accident and we follow a group of survivors) but it's evident that the author is well versed in young adult issues and thoughts. The protagonist is Philip, a teenager who is always in second place after his older brother. Philip is the only hope of his family and has to confront his fears in order to save his mother. The story never veers far from credibil ...more
Brigitte
Michael Tildsley
Mar 25, 2016 Michael Tildsley rated it liked it
A good effort by Miklowitz to illustrate what the world could look like after a nuclear bombing.

The young boy Phillip goes through quite a transformation of character in a short period of time. He starts out being the misunderstood and under appreciated by his family before the bomb drops. After it falls, he turns out to be their only hope.

As other reviewers have stated, you can tell this was meant to be part of a series that was never written. We don't get all the answers by the end of the boo
Meg McGregor
May 01, 2013 Meg McGregor rated it it was amazing
This book just terrified me. We have been living under the threat of nuclear annhilation for over 50 years. That by itself is enough to haunt me but what happened if a nuclear strike was an accident? Los Angeles is decimated by one such bomb and one family's heroic attempts to find each other and make sense of it all is what this book is about. A really really good look at the horror that might come upon us if we don't stop behaving like bullies and learn to live together.
Tina
Jan 03, 2008 Tina rated it liked it
Shelves: kidsbooks, fiction
I am sure I am supposed to be able to write something insiteful about this book, but all I can say is that it was a rather interesting take on one boys life right before and right after a nuclear bomb explodes over los angeles.

It was a little funny to read because you can definitely tell that it was written during a different time. I mean how many people call thier brother a "turkey" instead of an "ass" or something like that.

Over all a good quick read.
Aaron
Feb 21, 2013 Aaron rated it it was ok
Shelves: apocalyptic
After getting the book and realizing that it's really a kids book, there are some details that are not exactly appropriate for kids. Occasionally the book uses really simplistic terms to argue the case against nuclear power. As a dystopian novel, it is not near the top of my favorite books.
Trevor
Oct 06, 2007 Trevor rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen-lit-read
Oh wow! Seeing these reviews totally takes me back to the 6th or 7th grade. This is one of my favorite assigned books ever, along with TKAMockingbird and 1984. I think this very book may be why I really enjoy apocalypse/plague/zombie fiction to this day.
Rick Bavera
Written back in the 1980s. This book brings back memories of how people were working toward getting rid of nuclear weapons.

That hasn't happened...they still exist. The book, though, is a good argument for getting rid of them.

Audrey
Oct 16, 2008 Audrey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: middle school ages
One of the few books that actually freaked me out! A great summertime read for the younger crowd or a weekend read for us older folks. Lends thought to what a young person might experience after a nuclear bomb.
Leif  Adams
Kind of dumb. I like post-apocalyptic fiction, but this was a little book written for teen readers at the oldest. Interesting enough for me to finish, but just not that good.
Josie
Nov 14, 2008 Josie rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, ya, survival
Post-nuclear accident in suburgan Los Angeles. Outdated, but with some relevant stuff.

We have it in the SCCS library if you're intersted.
Audrey
Oct 16, 2008 Audrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle school ages
Not quite as good as the first, but I couldn't resist the sequel. Definitely worth reading when you have some time to kill.
Hope
Sep 25, 2012 Hope rated it really liked it
Had to re-read this book since I hadnt read it since middle school. Pretty good survival book
Kristin
Oct 09, 2008 Kristin rated it really liked it
This book scared the crap out of me when I read it in 7th grade.
Angela
Jan 16, 2011 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Oldie (and shows it's age) but good disaster/survival story!
Erin Edwards
Mar 17, 2011 Erin Edwards rated it liked it
Enjoyable, but ended mid-action.
Daniel Evans
Jul 30, 2009 Daniel Evans rated it really liked it
Almost believable.
Art
Apr 19, 2010 Art rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Survival
Story about the fight betwen two brothers over a girl that relates to the actions of the US v. USSR during the cold war.
What will it be like to survive a Nuclear blast and the steps that are needed to survive.
Much like "Alas Babylon" and "Z is for Zechariah!" will Weaver book about Volcanie Ash covering state of Minnesota.
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Jacoby
Jacoby rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Kristi
Kristi rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Darik
Darik marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Tony
Tony added it
Jun 08, 2016
Robbyn
Robbyn marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Fictionaltubers
Fictionaltubers rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2016
  • The Hopkins Manuscript
  • All Fools' Day
  • Neena Gathering
  • The Long Loud Silence
  • Plague (Plague 99, #1)
  • The Last Canadian
  • Who is Bugs Potter?
  • After Worlds Collide (When Worlds Collide, #2)
  • Nature's End
  • Empty World
  • Aftermath (Supernova Alpha, #1)
  • How Do Dinosaurs Play with Their Friends?
  • Antares Dawn (Antares #1)
  • The Kindling (Fire-us, #1)
  • Last Dance (Saturday Night, #2)
  • The Haunting of Grade Three
  • Best Short Stories of the Modern Age
  • Arnie the Darling Starling
With a relentless concern about contemporary issues and problems that affect teenagers, Gloria D. Miklowitz (USA, b. 1927) examined such topics as rape, suicide, teen marriage, divorce, AIDS, sexual abuse, and racial prejudice in her novels. She helped teen readers look at underground militias, vigilantism, religious cults, steroid use among high school athletes, and the effects of nuclear war. Sh ...more
More about Gloria D. Miklowitz...