Start by marking “After the Bomb” as Want to Read:
After the Bomb

After the Bomb (After the Bomb #1)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Found this retro classic in the back of my oldest son's closet! Scholastic: 1985.
Published March 1st 1985 by Scholastic Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about After the Bomb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After the Bomb

Elliot
By: Elliot.Garcia Auther: Gloria D. Miklowitz
This book is an audience grabbing novel; it has all the potential to make you want to hop out your chair violently. So this horrifying book is about a nuclear accident going off in the suburbs of Los Angeles and a boy named Phillip is viscously trying to locate his family after this great significant nuclear bombing.
Now if you’re a really big fan of survival/disaster books like zombie apocalypses and other interesting book similar to that, you will...more
Tracy Dishman
quick read and at a 4th grade level but still pretty decent..
Kurazaybo
I got this book secondhand and am very glad I discovered it. There's really nothing original about the premise (an atomic bomb is launched by accident and we follow a group of survivors) but it's evident that the author is well versed in young adult issues and thoughts. The protagonist is Philip, a teenager who is always in second place after his older brother. Philip is the only hope of his family and has to confront his fears in order to save his mother. The story never veers far from credibil...more
Brigitte
Rick Bavera
Written back in the 1980s. This book brings back memories of how people were working toward getting rid of nuclear weapons.

That hasn't happened...they still exist. The book, though, is a good argument for getting rid of them.

Meg McGregor
This book just terrified me. We have been living under the threat of nuclear annhilation for over 50 years. That by itself is enough to haunt me but what happened if a nuclear strike was an accident? Los Angeles is decimated by one such bomb and one family's heroic attempts to find each other and make sense of it all is what this book is about. A really really good look at the horror that might come upon us if we don't stop behaving like bullies and learn to live together.
Tina
I am sure I am supposed to be able to write something insiteful about this book, but all I can say is that it was a rather interesting take on one boys life right before and right after a nuclear bomb explodes over los angeles.

It was a little funny to read because you can definitely tell that it was written during a different time. I mean how many people call thier brother a "turkey" instead of an "ass" or something like that.

Over all a good quick read.
Art
Apr 19, 2010 Art rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Survival
Story about the fight betwen two brothers over a girl that relates to the actions of the US v. USSR during the cold war.
What will it be like to survive a Nuclear blast and the steps that are needed to survive.
Much like "Alas Babylon" and "Z is for Zechariah!" will Weaver book about Volcanie Ash covering state of Minnesota.
Aaron
After getting the book and realizing that it's really a kids book, there are some details that are not exactly appropriate for kids. Occasionally the book uses really simplistic terms to argue the case against nuclear power. As a dystopian novel, it is not near the top of my favorite books.
Trevor
Oh wow! Seeing these reviews totally takes me back to the 6th or 7th grade. This is one of my favorite assigned books ever, along with TKAMockingbird and 1984. I think this very book may be why I really enjoy apocalypse/plague/zombie fiction to this day.
Audrey
Oct 16, 2008 Audrey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: middle school ages
One of the few books that actually freaked me out! A great summertime read for the younger crowd or a weekend read for us older folks. Lends thought to what a young person might experience after a nuclear bomb.
Josie
Post-nuclear accident in suburgan Los Angeles. Outdated, but with some relevant stuff.

We have it in the SCCS library if you're intersted.
Audrey
Oct 16, 2008 Audrey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle school ages
Not quite as good as the first, but I couldn't resist the sequel. Definitely worth reading when you have some time to kill.
Adam
One of my favorite books as a teenager. I was obsessed with nuclear war.
They actually walk down my street in the book.
Hope
Had to re-read this book since I hadnt read it since middle school. Pretty good survival book
Kristin
This book scared the crap out of me when I read it in 7th grade.
Angela
Oldie (and shows it's age) but good disaster/survival story!
Erin Edwards
Enjoyable, but ended mid-action.
Daniel Evans
Almost believable.
Annelisa
Annelisa marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Nik
Nik marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Ekb
Ekb added it
Aug 16, 2014
Chuck
Chuck marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Dale
Dale marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Elle
Elle marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
With a relentless concern about contemporary issues and problems that affect teenagers, Gloria D. Miklowitz (USA, b. 1927) has examined such topics as rape, suicide, teen marriage, divorce, AIDS, sexual abuse, and racial prejudice in her novels. She's helped teen readers look at underground militias, vigilantism, religious cults, steroid use among high school athletes, and the effects of nuclear w...more
More about Gloria D. Miklowitz...
The War Between the Classes Masada: The Last Fortress Secrets in the House of Delgado Past Forgiving The Enemy Has a Face