Start by marking “Carnivorous Nights: On the Trail of the Tasmanian Tiger” as Want to Read:
Carnivorous Nights: On the Trail of the Tasmanian Tiger

Carnivorous Nights: On the Trail of the Tasmanian Tiger

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Packing an off-kilter sense of humor and keen scientific minds, Margaret Mittelbach and Michael Crewdson, along with renowned artist Alexis Rockman, take off on a postmodern safari. Their mission? Tracking down the elusive Tasmanian tiger. Tragically, this mysterious, striped predator was hunted into extinction in the early part of the twentieth century. Or was it?
Journey...more
Published April 11th 2006 by Villard (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Carnivorous Nights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carnivorous Nights

A Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertInto the Wild by Jon KrakauerInto Thin Air by Jon KrakauerIn a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson
Favourite Travel Books
229th out of 1,099 books — 2,124 voters
The Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniMemoirs of a Geisha by Arthur GoldenA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled HosseiniThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakLife of Pi by Yann Martel
Foreign Lands
255th out of 1,150 books — 1,153 voters

More lists with this book...

Daniel
When I started this book I thought I was really going to enjoy it, but then, after reading a bit and mulling on it, I changed my mind. There was one thing I couldn't get my head around, and that was the constant use of the first person plural (at least, I think that's what you call it). The authors, and there were two, would constantly refer to themselves as "we", which I guess is understandable, but it just didn't work. It felt like the queen was writing the damn thing, and it didn't just apply...more
Allison
As an American living in Australia who is interested in the native wildlife, I really enjoyed this book. It was a quirky mix of travelogue, information on Tasmanian fauna and flora, and an American perspective. Though it is packed with good information and has additional reading materials in the back, it is not an indexed authority on any subject. It is more the recording of three Americans traveling to Australia to learn more about the elusive and sadly probably extinct Tasmanian Tiger. As such...more
Michael Livingston
A kind of gonzo nature book, with a group of New Yorkers traipsing around Tassie getting high and trying to track down the Tasmanian tiger. It's filled with great characters, fun anecdotes and plenty of fascinating facts. The writing is clear and funny at times, but the collective first person pronoun style of narration ('we almost fell', 'we dreamed about Tassie devils' etc) grated a bit. It's ultimately a sad story, about the ways in which humans destroy the environment - the sections at the e...more
Cindy
I enjoyed this one despite the narrative choice of using the second person plural. It made the authors sound like conjoined twins - or was it the royal "we"? - it was a consistent irritant throughout the book. Luckily the trek around Tasmania was interesting as an introduction to some of the nifty places and critters of that island. We've planned it as part of our trip to Oz next month (me and my conjoined twin) and I made notes and got ideas on where to go when we get there. Wombats - Old growt...more
Charles
Altogether a fun and informative romp through Tasmania and mainland Australia in search of the extinct and quasi-mythical thylacine.

As other reviewers have noted, however, the narrative voice is rather irksome, and gives the impression that the two authors speak, think and live as a single unit. You begin to wonder if they ever take a break from each other. Also, Alexis Rockman, while a talented artist, is utterly insufferable as a human being. If ever there was a man high on himself, he would...more
Smellsofbikes
Good, very depressing book about a contemporary (fairly low-intensity) search for the Tasmanian Tiger. It discusses a number of other strange Tasmanian animals and spends a fair amount of time on the history of the tiger itself, and on sightings/evidence since 1936.
Sphinx Feathers
Well-described and interesting not only for its facts about the Tasmanian Tiger, but fascinating for its details about other wildlife and facts about Tasmania. This is a great example of what travel literature and nature literature should be.
Kat
As soon as I saw the cover of this book, I knew I had to read it - as a native Tasmanian I love reading books that have a familiar setting as they are sadly few and far between. Add the bonus of finding out more about one of Tasmania's icons, the Tasmanian Tiger and I was really looking forward to this.

Strangely, the book is written in first person plural - which wouldn't have been so bad but for the references to things that 'we' did such as 'we dreamed' and 'we imagined'. In fact, it's so vagu...more
Amy
Mostly, I am just happy I am finally done. Yippeee. I read this as a read-aloud to my thylacine-obsessed daughter (9 y.o.) and it took a LONG time. (Even she was mystified by the use of the weird "royal We" thing that the authors' used ALWAYS even when describing THEIR nouns which can't be collective (dreams?))*

Anyway - mostly we read it for their journey through New Zealand to find out more about the thylacine - why they disappeared (or not) and the people that are still looking for them. Alon...more
Mike
Jul 20, 2008 Mike rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People looking to learn about the wildlife of tasmania.
I love the thylacine and looked forward to reading this book for quite sometime. Although first chapters were pretty exciting and interesting it started to get a bit dull toward the center and downright tedious at the end.

I agree with one of the other reviewers. It would have made an excellent long article in the New Yorker or something but it's 20 some chapters wear thin and become pretty formulaic.

1) We go to this place to look for the thylacine.

2) We meet a colorful character.

3) Weird things...more
Rose
Fascinating, and frequently humourous, search for Tasmanian Tiger. Insights into the staus and fate of many other Australian animals as well. Beautiful illustrations which Alexis Rockman made using various substances found on site.
Nitin
A nice book, with some excellent anecdotes and information which I can use for an upcoming trip to Australia - however, the authors' use of the royal pronoun "we" - sample: "we dreamed about..." is decidedly eccentric, at its best, and off-putting at its worst.
Heather
After becoming fascinated by the Tasmanian tiger, a creature presumed to be extinct, the authors and their artist friend head out on an expedition to try to find evidence of the continued existence of the tiger. Interviewing a host of eccentric figures and passionate environmentalists, the story of the tiger is ultimately tragic but still filled with hope. More than anything it turns an eye to the continued threat that much of Tasmania and areas like it face. It's a story of how destructive huma...more
Elizabeth
First, this book has a supremely awesome title. The story almost lives up to it. I appreciated the quirky humor and earnestness of the authors' obsession with the Tasmanian tigers. I run across a lot of nature kooks in Galapagos, so found it refreshing that the authors were able to express a love of wildlife and concern about extinction without heavy-handed moralizing. Also, the watercolors that illustrate this book are amazing for the simplicity through which they capture movement. That said, t...more
Victoria
This book was pretty interesting - it had some REALLY gross parts (like land leeches!!). The cloning part was very reminiscent of what was discussed in Richard Stone's Mammoth: The Resurrection Of An Ice Age Giant. All in all, this was a very fun and educational read. Although, it certainly didn't make me want to vacation in Tasmania. It was a little disheartening to learn about the path to the Tasmanian Tiger's extinction... but it was still a fun and fascinating read!
Elizabeth Desole
In the first few chapters I thought this will be a 5 star for sure. I loved the humor, the interesting factual information and the narrative pacing. After a while, I must admit that the cutesy humor began to wear on me-especially the things the artist said. Also somewhat annoying was that the co-authors wrote as one voice. "Last night we had a dream..." Really, you two had the same dream? Overall though, I really enjoyed it and learned a bunch about Tasmanian wildlife. Now I'm itching to read ab...more
Cindywho
Emily
I'm 3/4 of the way through and thought this was a lot of fun to read while on my recent camping trip. It is a search for a (thought to be extinct) creature and gives a lot of history about Australia, Tasmania, and the animals of that region with a funny writing style. Only complaint is that I didn't much like some of the 'characters' and the ever present pot smoking didn't do much to add to the book (for me.)
Lump
I have to admit it was pretty interesting from start to finish, but content-wise there isn't really much to this book. It comes off as something written as an assignment by someone who didn't take the class all too seriously. Well written as far as the use of the English language goes, and like I said I actually enjoyed it more or less, but I never really thought to myself "this was really worth the read."
Betony
I don't know where I heard about this book, but it was on a little scrap of paper to read and I finally did. I thought it was really interesting and entertaining. Each chapter started a little adventure into a different part or inhabitant of Tasmania. I would definitely have given it an extra star if it hadn't had, in my opinion, unnecessary bad language.
Nathan
The right ingredients are there, but they're boiled down into an unappetizing sludge. The characters have boring personalities, and their jokes were boring and their trip was boring and the boring secret of their boring trip is that they never get up close to the Tasmanian tiger. A bit of Steve Irwin-style schtick lightens the slog, but not much. Clumsy and insipid.
Blythe
Another book that should have been a long article. The subject matter is great, fresh and interesting (for being an extinct animal and all...), but all of the anecdotal meetings with people could have been summarized into interesting facts about the tiger instead of whole narrative chapters. To paraphrase my Uncle Rich paraphrasing Homer, BOOOO-RIIIING.
Jenny Gendel
Really got into it, but wished the authors hadn't used we for everything, either attributed it to one author or the other. I would have liked more of both of thier individual personalities. I did REALLY enjoy Alexis' artwork throughout the book. It beautiful, and I hope to see his work in person some day.
Karen
Just finished this as we reached Australia. A wonderful account of a party traveling to Australia to determine if the Tasmanian Tiger is truly extinct. I really learned alot about Australia from this book and it has made my trip that much better. A must for anyone interested in Australia or planning a trip.
Jacqueline Toce
It was fun to read about the biodiversity of Tasmania. I liked their travelogue also but like some of the other readers have commented here, it got a little tedious and repetitive in the the end and it was hard to push through the last few chapters. The artwork in the book is really nice.
Anne
Extremely enjoyable, highly recommended! Travel-slash-nature writing novel. Only 4 stars because of the authors' strange decision to meld themselves into one being and use the pronoun 'we' for everything, which was deeply strange and extremely distracting.
Janet Kellough
A really delightful account of a group of hapless Americans on the trail of the presumed extinct Tasmanian tiger. Lovely descriptions of Tasmania landscape and eccentrics as well as hilarious escapades of the authors' travelling companions.
Amy
I really enjoyed this book. It was entertaining as well as educational about the endangered wildlife of Tasmania. The only thing that bothered me was how it was written in first person plural! It definitely took some getting used to.
Carrie Clayton
If you have ever been to Tasmania you will love this book! If you have not been to Tasmania this book is a excellent way to learn a bit about the people, history, ecosytems and crazy ass animals that live at this beautiful place.
Mercedes
A quick, fun travelog/nature writing trip into the wilds of Tasmania. I learned about new (to me) critters, conservation efforts (or lack of, in some cases), and laughed a lot. A nice armchair travel jaunt.
  • Eels: An Exploration, from New Zealand to the Sargasso, of the World's Most Mysterious Fish
  • Golden Bats and Pink Pigeons: A Journey to the Flora and Fauna of a Unique Island
  • The Lady and the Panda: The True Adventures of the First American Explorer to Bring Back China's Most Exotic Animal
  • A Supremely Bad Idea: Three Mad Birders and Their Quest to See It All
  • The Bird: A Natural History of Who Birds Are, Where They Came From & How They Live
  • The Animal Manifesto: Six Reasons for Expanding Our Compassion Footprint
  • Kraken: The Curious, Exciting, and Slightly Disturbing Science of Squid
  • Throwim Way Leg: Tree-Kangaroos, Possums, and Penis Gourds
  • Dark Banquet: Blood and the Curious Lives of Blood-Feeding Creatures
  • Summer World: A Season of Bounty
  • The Rarest of the Rare: Vanishing Animals, Timeless Worlds
  • Adventures among Ants: A Global Safari with a Cast of Trillions
  • Feathers: The Evolution of a Natural Miracle
  • Where the Wild Things Were: Life, Death, and Ecological Wreckage in a Land of Vanishing Predators
  • Symbiotic Planet: A New Look at Evolution (Science Masters)
  • Listening to Whales: What the Orcas Have Taught Us
  • The Whale: In Search of the Giants of the Sea
  • Song for the Blue Ocean: Encounters Along the World's Coasts and Beneath the Seas
Wild New York: A Guide to the Wildlife, Wild Places and Natural Phenomena of New York City Roxy Paine: Bluff Fodor's CITYGUIDE New York, 2nd Edition: The Ultimate Sourcebook for City Dwellers (Fodor's Cityguides)