Start by marking “The Spirit Keeper (The Spirit Keeper, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Spirit Keeper (The Spirit Keeper, #1)

The Spirit Keeper (The Spirit Keeper #1)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  244 ratings  ·  35 reviews
After her mother and grandparents die in a raging house fire, eleven-year-old Sarah Redbird ends up in the custody of her aunt and uncle. Six years later, Sarah discovers the fire may not have been an accident at all, but a deliberate act of revenge.

Sarah’s family has kept the truth of their Native American heritage secret her entire life, refusing to acknowledge where th
Published 2012 by Create Space

To ask other readers questions about The Spirit Keeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spirit Keeper

Dark Lover by J.R. WardLover Awakened by J.R. WardLover Eternal by J.R. WardLover Unbound by J.R. WardLover Revealed by J.R. Ward
Paranormal reads
273rd out of 855 books — 585 voters
The Mating by Nicky CharlesDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenAlien Species Intervention Books 1-3 by J.K. AccinniJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
Best Free eBooks
190th out of 537 books — 1,124 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda
First off, let me preface this by saying it appalls me to no end when an awesome and talented writer such as Melissa Garrett is not represented by an agent/publishing company and books like Snooki's are green lighted as soon as they're mentioned. That being said, I'm glad that there are self-publishing venues out there for writers to get their works out to the public, otherwise we wouldn't have this gem.

Also, for full disclosure, Melissa is an online friend of mine, both on Facebook and Twitter
Emlyn Chand
I'm always frightened to read books by my friends, which means usually I don't. I come in with the expectation that I'll hate them. Not because I don't believe in my friends--it's just that, well, I know what a picky reader I am.

Imagine my surprise and delight when I finally picked this gorgeous book off my shelf and decided to give it a go. Immediately, I was captivated by the beauty of Melissa Luznicky Garrett's prose. Who said anything about self-published? She has far more talent than many,
Farmers Wife
Melissa Luznicky Garrett does it again! I read the first draft of this book a couple years ago and loved it. Melissa was finally able to get back to working on it after completing PRECIPICE and TURNING POINT, both available in print and for kindle. Although, there were some major changes to the story it is both stronger and more intriguing. And, it sets up for book two in the series, 'The Seventh Tribe'.

Super excited to read the published version but I love being one of her beta readers! Great p
Trish
Meet Sarah Redbird, a seventeen-year-old who has lived with her aunt and uncle since losing her mother and grandparents in a fire several years earlier. She loves her best friend Priscilla almost as much as she despises Katie, the “mean girl” at school who leads the bullying of Sarah without ever getting caught.

Sarah’s life changes when another Native American family – a father and son – move in across the street. Although Adrian, the son, is both good-looking and charming, she is warned by her
Melissa has once again written another amazing read! The Spirit Keeper is the perfect beginning to what promises to be a new favorite series. Her writing is descriptive and engaging, the characters are personable and colorful, the story line is exciting, different and leaves you wanting more. By the time you reach the last page, you feel like you have a few new friends.
I really enjoyed Sarah's character. At 17, she has been living with her aunt and uncle after a fire took her mother and grandpa
MB Mulhall
I read a beta version of The Spirit Keeper and like Melissa's other work, it pulled me right in. I enjoyed the mystery surrounding Sarah and her past and her new neighbors. In a genre that is flooded with vampires and werewolves and fairies, The Spirit Keeper is a different twist on a fantasy/magic kind of book. I've always found Native American cultures to be interesting and a topic not often discussed in young adult literature. I'm glad to see it plays a part in this story.

The Spirit Keeper is
Pandora's Book
This is a book I took a chance on. It was available for free on the Kindle, so it wasn’t a huge risk…and it’s got a gorgeous cover, which doesn’t really have much to do with anything, except that it’s why I decided to read it.

So it was a small leap of faith, but it paid off pretty big, because The Spirit Keeper, by Melissa Luznicky Garrett, is a good book.

The story centers around Sarah Redbird, who lives with her aunt and uncle after losing the rest of her family to a fire. Life isn’t great, but
Nykki
Nicole Barnes
I read almost everything I could put my hands on, therefore, I enjoy free selections from Amazon, it allow me to discover good books written by great authors such as Melissa Luzincky-Garrett that I discovered thanks to her free copy of The Spirit Keeper. I usually choose my free selections by titles and covers that catch my interest and then, I read the synopsis. And this is how I selected the Spirit Keeper and boy was that a good selection or what.
I was in this story from beginning to end. The
Abbie
(Actual rating - 1.5)

"The spirit keeper" didn't really catch my attention.
It was really slow, and didn't get interesting until near the end.

I thought some of the stuff Priscilla said was kind of funny, and i did feel sorry for Shyla, but apart from that, none of the characters stood out to me.

Sarah was a pretty average character. I didn't hate her, but i didn't like her, either.

The ending was quiet interesting, but by the time it came, i was just relieved that i was at the end.
Sam
I was slightly apprehensive about this title as the last book I read with native american themes was terrible. Thankfully this book was no disappointment! Well written with charming characters and a generally strong narrative, I'm glad I came across it.

PLOT: We follow the life of Sarah Redbird, seventeen and seemingly nothing special. Everything gets flipped around when new neighbours move in and a secret concerning her birth is revealed.

Although not much happens in the way of greater plot the
April Brown
What ages would I recommend it too? – Twelve and up.

Length? – A couple of day''s read.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Realistic Fantasy, place unknown.

Written approximately? – 2011.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? No.

Amy
At twenty-four years old I'm obviously too old for this book. My impression is that it is written for early-teens.
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I thought I would, it had a good write up so I gave it a go. The first half of the book is about a girl who is drooling over a senior in school, but she's forbidden to date him by her guardians. I think all this could have been condensed as I found it very laborious and only continued with the book because I hate leaving books unfinished.
The last c
Splash Of Our Worlds *Yiota*

I got this one for review after Emlyn Chand shared about it at Facebook. I haven't read many books with spirits so the title immediately caught my attention and after reading the summary i was sure i wanted to try it.

The Spirit Keeper is enjoyable and funny. It has an interesting story mixing, spirits, elements, magic, native american ideas and teenage life. The author gives more pages to the romance and the relationship between the characters in general, than the plot. Still it doesn't
V.L. Locey
More books! I just love chatting about books, don`t you??

Today we`ll be sipping coffee and passing some word of mouth about a wonderfully written YA novel called ‘The Spirit Keeper’ by Melissa Luznicky Garrett.

As y`all know, or should know by now, I have a great fondness for all things mythological. That includes the myths and legends of the Native Americans. This love of the Native American culture and stories was passed down to me by my mother, who read anything that had to do with Native Ame
Karen Pokras Toz
Sarah's aunt and uncle have a secret about Sarah's Native American past they've been keeping for many years. When a new family moves across the street, Sarah's family must reveal the secret in order to protect her from possible danger. At sixteen, Sarah does not know who to trust - she knows her aunt and uncle have her best interests at heart, but surely they are wrong about her new neighbor, Adrian - the first boy who has ever shown any interest in her. As the story unravels, we learn more abou ...more
Bridget
Meh....

A book with an interesting concept, just not very well-executed. The characters felt a little hollow, and the action a little forced. I really enjoyed most of the story line ( misfit finds out she has greater importance and/or will save the world) and wish I wanted to read the sequel, but it just wasn't interesting enough.
Lindy Lu Book Review
This was a quick read. I liked it! This was about a girl that wasn't raised in a reservation just as the rest of her family. She had no idea she belonged to a tribe but they had kicked her family out before she was born. She has her eyes opened to a new world she didn't know exisisted and her whole life changes at the drop of a hat.
Reyna Hawk
Other than romantic suspense, paranormal books are my next in line of being my favorite. I chose The Spirit Keepers because as I read the synopsis I thought it sounded very interesting and right up my alley. Well, I wasn't all wrong. Although, this book started off on a slow note it all began to unfold and the Spirit Keepers made their grand entrance. This is a really great YA book, which is usually a genre I tend to stay away from. However, I like this book and the author’s writing style. I rea ...more
Emily
I didn't finish it...

It felt really forced to me and I did try my hardest to read it but I wasn't drawn in. It sounded cool in the synopsis, I just felt too old to read this book and I'm only eighteen. The protagonist felt fake and as if they were paper fillers that had no real substance.
Anna Salamatin
This was a free book, I thought the cover was beautiful, I had not even heard of Melissa at this point. After reading this book, that I couldn't put down, I am a fan!
This is a story about Sarah Redbird. Growing up without her parents who were killed in a fire.
A school bully who never misses a chance to taunt Sarah about her Indian heritage, and she gets down right mean about it.
A new boy moves in across the street that sends her Aunt & Uncle into a tizzy.
Seems there is a secret, and it's tim
Victoria
Wow

I really like all the characters and the author. you all got to read this book it is awesome you will love it.
Abigail
Jun 04, 2013 Abigail added it
Shelves: ya-lit, books-1-12
this book was intruiging. i dont know much about native american culture, but the magic aspect of this book was almost like the creol voodoo. the main character was not only entertaining, but she was also very complex. in the story Garret does a superb job of making you root for the main character and the boy she likes because you want them to beat the odds. when you think about it, that's the point of the story: the uprising of the underdogs.
Jessie Harrell
This book was great. I loved the plot, the main character (Sarah) and the writing. This book pulled me in immediately and didn't let go. It was full of cool (although invented) Native American heritage, suspense, love, trust and friendship. Sarah seemed so real in her internal conflicts. I'll be looking forward to reading more of Melissa's work!
Nicole Hewitt
I really enjoyed this book. The Native American mythology that the author created is interesting and the characters are likeable. The romance in the story seems organic, not forced, which was refreshing compared to some of the other books I've read lately. I'm very interested to read the next book and find out where the story goes.
Keith
The book was okay and the story had some interesting points, I found the pacing to be moderate but I don't think I will be reading the next book, there just isn't enough to draw you into the next book. I mean sometimes this felt like reading a news article could have used more impactful wording and structure.
  ღ☆ღ  Brenda
Enjoyed this story very much.This is going to be an amazing series.Watching Sarah's and Adrian's love grow as well as Sarah's powers was exciting. If you like action,love,mystery and magic this is for you.Can't wait for the next book.
Cat
The main character is pretty irritating, which made me want to speed through the book. The plot is fairly interesting, at least.

Plot movement is a bit slow, but I suppose it moves naturally enough.
Kathi Olsen
A nice book about teens for mostly a teen audience. It's a pretty good story as it has a touch of romance, but controlled and clean and mixing with some Indian traditions and legends.
Chris Kanclerowicz
Very enjoyable. If you remotely like Native American mythology it's a great book. It's very easy to read, and the author definitely writes well.
  • The Charm (Olivia Hart and the Gifted Program, #1)
  • The Ghost in Me
  • Beast of Fire (Knights of White, #5)
  • 7 Folds of Winter
  • Snow White and Rose Red: The Curse of the Huntsman
  • Threads That Bind (Havoc Chronicles, #1)
  • The Devil's Daughter (Devil to Pay, #1)
  • The Grave Artist
  • The Keeper's Curse (The Keeper's Curse, #1)
  • Chained (Decorah Security #2)
  • Grandmaster's Legacy (Erotic Historical Suspense, Box Set)
  • WBI: Witches Bureau of Investigation
  • So Down I Fall (Broken Fins, #1)
  • The Wizard of Time (Wizard of Time, #1)
  • A Chance for Charity (The Immortal Ones, #1)
  • Wraith (Wraith, #1)
  • Surviving the Fog (Surviving the Fog #1)
  • Autumn in the City of Angels (The Autumn Series, #1)
Melissa Luznicky Garrett is an author of adult and young adult novels. She lives in upstate New York with her husband, three children, and numerous animals. Melissa is currently hard at work on her next project.

More about Melissa Luznicky Garrett...

The Spirit Keeper (2 books)
  • The Prophecy (The Spirit Keeper, #2)
Precipice Blood Type (Blood Type, #1) Turning Point The Prophecy (The Spirit Keeper, #2) Blood Draw (Blood Type, #2)