Start by marking “Church of Irresistible Influence: Building Bridges Through Active Love” as Want to Read:
Church of Irresistible Influence: Building Bridges Through Active Love

Church of Irresistible Influence: Building Bridges Through Active Love

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  11 reviews
An inspiring description and story showing how a church can become an irresistible influence on its neighborhood, community, and world by building bridges over troubled waters to a dying culture through showing the love of God in action.
Published December 31st 2001 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published February 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Church of Irresistible Influence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Church of Irresistible Influence

M Christopher
I was extremely dubious when I started reading this book. Advice from a megachurch conservative pastor in Arkansas, oh, boy! What could he possibly have to say that would relate to the pastor of a tiny progressive church in Washington State? As it turns out, quite a bit. Only a few times did I find myself thinking, "Ok for a multi-staff church with lots of resources but that will never work HERE."

Indeed, Lewis seems to have a number of very sound ideas that are replicable in churches of any size...more
Tung
Lewis is the pastor of Fellowship Bible Church in Little Rock, a successful church by the world’s standards of attendance and income. But rather than simply maintain the status quo, Lewis and his leadership team decided that such statistics did not really measure whether the church was fulfilling its true purpose. Early on in this book, Lewis argues the point that “Contrary to much evidence, the church does not exist for the sake of the church. It exists for the sake of the world.” And with this...more
Seumas Macdonald
This book is a solid book, though not particularly deep. It's driven by the desire to see churches connect and engage with their local communities, and describes how one church and the churches around them did so. It's very much a 'here's a big idea, and how it worked, you do it' kind of book, but nonetheless it's good for all that. the stories, instead of being cringeworthy illustrations, were actually good illustrations of what the author was talking about.
Bruce assigned this book for the Vision Team to read. I read it yesterday on the plane coming home and was just filled with inspiration! It absolutely connected with me and spoke to my heart. I can't wait to meet with everyone tonight and discuss it and its application for our church!
Brent
A good companion volume to The Externally Focused Church. This author asks the question, "If your church would no longer exist would your community miss it?"
But I don't think this should be THE defining question that should set the course for a church's direction.
Matt Hartzell
Really enjoyed the concepts and principles detailed in the book. The success stories recorded here are worth the price of admission alone. This will be very helpful to you if you are interested in bridging the gap between the church and the world.
Mikkee
This is a refreshing book so far on the Church and the postmodern culture, and a reminder to what we are called to as Christians.

I highly recommend this book...it calls the Church to reach the world.
Scott Hayden
They went from Bible study to big church. They initiated small groups, with success. They reached a stage of maturity and asked, "Now what?" That's when things really got exciting.
Wayne Allen
If you ever want to read a book that will make you rethink the idea of a successful church, this is it..
Jamie
Good stories to give feet to vision. Not much depth. Worth reading for some ideas.
Joel VanBriggle
Great, practical insights!
Tony Villatoro
Tony Villatoro marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Jonathan Kelly
Jonathan Kelly marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Raising a Modern-Day Knight: A Father's Role in Guiding His Son to Authentic Manhood Rocking the Roles: Building a Win-Win Marriage The New Eve Michel, Michel Method or Madness?