Start by marking “The Book of Answers” as Want to Read:
The Book of Answers

The Book of Answers

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  26 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
A cripplingly funny satire about how politicians can manipulate us when we stop thinking for ourselves — and the great harm they can unleash using a book no one has read.

All that Patros Patranobis wants is to be left alone – to live his ordinary, unremarkable life with Rose, the woman he has not married, and Tippy, the son he has not fathered. But one day, he receives a my
Published (first published June 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Answers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Answers

Parrish Lantern
The day one receives a book which claims to have an answer to all the ills of this planet, should be a cause for celebration. Shouldn’t it?, and yet when Patros Patranobis is handed this package containing the book, he can’t get rid of it quick enough.
To be fair to Patros, he has spent all his adult life attempting to fly under the radar, to be an observer of his world, rather than some one who does. His way of dealing with problems is to push them to one side, so he sells the book to a dealer i
Mark Staniforth
May 03, 2012 Mark Staniforth rated it really liked it
CY Gopinath's 'The Book Of Answers', richly deserves its place on this year's Commonwealth Book Award shortlist.
No doubt, it is a strange and unusual book. It seems entirely fitting that it should arrive in a strange and unusual way: published with sub-continental rights only by HarperCollins last year, the author has taken it upon himself to reach a wider audience by self-publishing. It is fully available by the e-book platform Smashwords.
Not that such things unduly matter much when it comes to
Ara Variyar
Mar 31, 2016 Ara Variyar rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This is...an odd book.

There are no two ways about it. It's a book of contradictions in every way possible. The protagonist (the unfortunate recipient of the eponymous Book of Answers) is at once a man of profound courage and a spineless twit. It's a book that asks questions at a rate equivalent to the solutions it proffers. The writing style oscillates similarly with almost dizzying speed, between the poetic and the surreal.

In many ways, however, it's this contrariness which is perhaps most sui
Garry
May 19, 2012 Garry rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: lovers of quirky satirical comedy
In an near-future alternate-reality India, the Supreme Commander establishes a Ministry of Regrets whose function is to publicly apologise for the mistakes of the Government (of which there are many). It's only one of the myriad of bizarre elements to the story that fly at you thick and fast, and makes The Book of Answers experience an engaging one.

The Ministry of Regrets also reflects my thoughts about this review. After receiving a PDF copy directly from the author, for which I am extremely gr
Stefanie
Extended review on blog.
I was quite interested in the context of this novel because not only am I unfamiliar with Indian literature, but it also had a great underlying theme about certain political and social issues of today. In this comical novel, Patros inherits a book from his great-grandfather that holds the answers to all of the world’s problems. However, Patros is the ordinary, common man. He doesn’t care about the world’s problems, much less about how to fix them. So Patros doesn’t care w
Voicu Simandan
Oct 29, 2011 Voicu Simandan rated it it was amazing
'The Books of Answers' is of Orwellian proportions, bordering the absurd. It is a social satire, critical of contemporary Indian society with all its nastiness and corruption. With plenty of humour and an open eye for the minor details of every day life in India, Gopinath's books promises to be an engaging read.

A plethora of characters litter the novel and, apart from Patros Patranobis, we're also introduced to the corrupt police officer, the unscrupulous politician, the young rebel, and the goo
C.Y. Gopinath
Apr 29, 2012 C.Y. Gopinath rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
This book has been shortlisted for the 2012 Commonwealth Book Prize.
James Martin
James Martin marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
MELISSIA LENOX
MELISSIA LENOX rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Garima Dangi
Garima Dangi marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Divyaorg .
Divyaorg . rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Sameer
Sameer is currently reading it
Jan 15, 2016
T B
T B rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2015
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Fifi
Fifi marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Kumarpartho Talukdar
Kumarpartho Talukdar marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Natasja Loyens
Natasja Loyens marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Dita Yulistya
Dita Yulistya marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Karen Kwan
Karen Kwan marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Del
Del marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Mustafa
Mustafa rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2015
HSZ
HSZ rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2015
Trần Hà
Trần Hà marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
My newest novel, Hoyt’s War , is a sharply funny, dystopian satire about America’s descent into an idiocracy under a Trump-like president called Barry Codbag.

Trump himself apparently doesn't like it. I hope you read it soon, and share it with every sane American you know.

I never thought I could ever write a book. Being a journalist sometimes does that to you. But now I’m working on my fifth and s
More about C.Y. Gopinath...