Start by marking “The Midwife's Legacy” as Want to Read:
The Midwife's Legacy

The Midwife's Legacy (Romancing America)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  130 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
An aged journal links the lives of four spirited women who battle outside elements, opposition, and all odds to aid new life into the world. Will the fight to find true love be just as hard?

Midwife and widow Adele Marley is content with an adopted daughter, a Wisconsin farm, and her role in the community. Is there room in her life for smitten banker Jerome Schmidt, a man u
Published June 1st 2012 by Barbour Books

To ask other readers questions about The Midwife's Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Midwife's Legacy

Abbie
Another great book in the Romancing America series. We start in the 1800’s and work our way to present day. The ladies in each story are midwifes and a special journal which is handed down to the next generation of midwifes is also a part of each story.

What I liked: This was a good book. I really liked how the stories where told. I found the subject of midwifery quite interesting. The romance was also good and left me wishing for more stories!

What I did not like: In the 2nd story about Polly I w
IrenesBookReviews
Jun 03, 2012 IrenesBookReviews rated it it was amazing
This is a book with four stories. They all are connected by a journal and all the stories center on being a midwife. I liked how the stories are set in a different time period yet they are all linked in some way. I thought each story was well written and could stand on its own.

One story, called A Mothers Cry, is about Adele Marley. She is a widow who keeps the baby of a mother who died during childbirth. I liked the town in Wisconsin that this was set in; it really made the story interesting.

Th
Valerie Comer
May 12, 2012 Valerie Comer rated it really liked it
Midwives have been around to assist birthing mothers for millenia, but their calling has come into the crossfire more than once during that time. Even now they’re not licensed to practice in many parts of North America.

The Midwife’s Legacy is the June release in the Romancing America novella collections released by Barbour, and follows a family tradition of midwifery through a handwritten journal handed down from one generation to the next. Not every generation is included in this anthology, as
Bonnie
Oct 15, 2012 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
This was my first e-book purchase at a bargain of $2.99. Still on until Oct. 30. This was a great read about 4 generations of women in one family who all have a calling to midwifery. These authors weave their stories together of women who were strong, had integrity, and sought to do their very best in serving women through their pregnancy, delivery and postpartum. Pioneers in midwifery and wanting to pass on what they had learned to the next generation. I love to sit back and relax reading books ...more
Kathryn
Jun 23, 2012 Kathryn rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
I read this book written by four authors because I met one of the authors, Jane Kirkpatrick, recently at the library and she mentioned the book. Jane wrote the first story and it like it. The other author's stories were just too much romance novel and not enough grit to the story. I could figure out the end within the first few pages.
Kate
Sep 29, 2014 Kate rated it really liked it
What a sweet collection of short stories! I love how the midwifery journal Adele began got passed down through the generations and was featured in each woman's story, giving the whole collection a cohesiveness that's sometimes hard to find in such a book.
I loved how Adele, Polly, Christiana, and Kendra each, in turn, learned to trust God's leading completely as they were performing their calling of being midwives. I loved learning that the term 'midwife' actually means 'with woman', and thinking
Janga
Apr 24, 2012 Janga rated it liked it
This is an anthology that includes four stories of women of different generations connected by family, vocation, and a journal in which they record observations and insights. “A Mother’s Cry” by Jane Kirkpatrick is the story of Adele Marley, a midwife and widow in the 1840s in Wisconsin Territory, who rears one of the babies she delivers as her own daughter after the mother dies and the father abandons the child. “The Midwife’s Apprentice” by Rhonda Gibson is the story of that child, Polly, who ...more
Paula-O
Apr 15, 2013 Paula-O rated it really liked it
This ia a book with 4 stories, first one by Jane Kirkpatrick, "The Midwife's Legacy"

Other writers were Rhonda Gibson, Pamela Griffin, Trish Perry..

The very first midwife starts a journal and it is handed down through the generations telling of the work "with women" that was done, the errors - the mystery- the happiness of a child being born..

Definition of Midwife means "With Woman" which certainly makes sense.

Adele helped a young woman with her first child and something went terribly wrong and t
Faye
Jul 14, 2012 Faye rated it really liked it
A lovely collection of novellas, with a midwife theme.

This collection as the cover and title implies is about midwives in the west, mid-1800's. Each story is a about a strong woman, with a certain grit about her, and a will to persevere.

Novellas are fun because you can pick them up, and read 'em in one sitting, and this set is no different. I really enjoyed how this set used snippets of a journal so that we could get a peek into what was going on in the main character's head.

As with other novell
Ashley
Sep 18, 2012 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Part of the Romancing America Series, this one is based in Oregon, written by Rhonda Gibson, Pamela Griffin, Jane Kirkpatrick & Trish Perry

One journal unites four generations.

Am aged journal links the lives of four spirited women who battle outside elements, opposition, and all odds to aid new life in the world. Will the fight to find true love be just as hard?

Ginger Solomon
Sep 13, 2012 Ginger Solomon rated it really liked it
"The Midwife's Legacy" by Rhonda Gibson, Pamela Griffin, Jane Kirkpatrick and Trish Perry is four novellas in one wonderful book. Midwifery is not an occupation I would want to make a career, though I have used the services of several and loved every minute of their devotion to me, their patient.

I wanted to read this book because of that devotion. Each novella tells the story of one midwife as she struggles with difficulties, stress, and unreasonable expectations placed on women of her time peri
Marlene Moore
Mar 28, 2015 Marlene Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Midwife's Legacy

This is series of stories about the women of one family through the generations, that were Midwife's. Each story built on the previous generations experience. I loved how these stories were melded together. They were seamless and felt as if it was one story. Great read, I loved it!
Beth Pearson
Mar 25, 2014 Beth Pearson rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-clean
This is 4 short stories in one book. The 4th story was pretty much an open & shut one, but the other 3 had a bit more depth to them. It is really about the strength of women as much as it is a romance. I liked that all 4 stories were related yet very different from each other.
Martha
Aug 25, 2014 Martha rated it liked it
It was okay, there were some things that were a little unrealistic, but it was a novella set, so nice for that!
Barbara
Jan 12, 2016 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Interesting stories. Some held my attention more than others. Some were better authors than others.
Andrea Stoeckel
May 31, 2013 Andrea Stoeckel rated it it was amazing
This is the second in the Christian Historical Romance series "Romancing America" that I have read, and much like the furst, they are gently entertaining fast reads that draw you into four generations of midwives. The first story "births" the second as the daughter moves towards Ameruca's new frontier. The third a few generations removed find the midwifery lineage still strong as women are struggling for the vote. The last is about her great grandaughter, standing up to the powers that be to kee ...more
Lexie
Apr 03, 2015 Lexie rated it it was ok
this was boring. romances developed way to quick and there wasn't any depth
Kelly
Dec 13, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: jane-kirkpatrick
I adored this book. The first short story drew me into the characters, and I was not surprised as I am a Jane Kirkpatrick fan. I was disappointed when the story ended because I was not yet ready to say goodbye to the spirited characters. You can imagine my delight when each subsequent author progressed from the short story before and introduced me to a generational midwife's legacy as the title suggested. The progression to modern age from 1843 made this a fun, quick read that affirmed my respec ...more
Kelley
Jan 30, 2013 Kelley rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Four novellas by four authors in one book depicting multiple generations of midwives. The weakest story was "Birth of a Dream" by Pamela Griffin. The author seemed too concerned with showing her knowledge of the 1905 Lewis and Clark Exposition instead of telling a tale that unfolded more organically. The dialogue was stilted and did not ring completely true to the period. The other stories were good, albeit somewhat predictable and a little rushed.
Joan
Aug 01, 2012 Joan rated it it was ok
I ordered this book from Jane Kirkpatrick because I like her work--in fact, I had just finished her book about Hulda Klager and her lilacs. The book is written by four Christian women; Kirkpatrick's piece is the only one I really liked. The other authors were far below her in skill and interest. Let me just say that I would not purchase books by any of the other authors.
Mimi
Jul 22, 2013 Mimi rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013
A pleasant read about four generations of women (a couple of generations are skipped so it can go from the Westward migration to the present) - all midwives - and their journal. Sweet love stories and lots of birth stories and babies.

I do get frustrated that Christian fiction appears to always have stilted dialogue, large print, and low-quality paper.
Hope
Oct 04, 2012 Hope rated it really liked it
I really, really enjoyed this anthology! i especially loved the continuum from one generation to the next. A lovely story (or really 4 lovely stories) from start to finish.
I highly recommend this book for a quick, gentle read that will leave you smiling and content with the world when you are finished. :-)
~Hope
Hope
Jan 06, 2013 Hope rated it really liked it
~Hope
Pam
Mar 05, 2013 Pam rated it liked it
I picked up this book because Jane Kirkpatrick wrote one of the novella's in this book. The book has four different sections to it - all by different authors. Each section jumps forward a generation or two. Overall the book was enjoyable, but not super. I enjoyed Kirkpatrick's part the best.
Tash
Apr 20, 2012 Tash rated it really liked it
Reviewed for Booked Up . Stay tuned for the review to be posted on Booked Up's goodreads account and the Blog

Lucy Bilik
These are beautiful short stories of four varies generations of midwives from same family. It is inspiring, encouraging and just pleasure to read.
Dianne Moore
Sep 08, 2012 Dianne Moore rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
As usual Jane Kirkpatrick did am excellent job making history interesting. Will certainly continue to read her books.
Joan
Jan 24, 2013 Joan rated it really liked it
Four short stories about one families draw to midwifery from the 1800s to modern times. Very interesting.
Debbie
Jul 14, 2012 Debbie rated it really liked it
I loved the thread spun through generations of women in this family.
M.
M. marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Clean Fiction: Discussion of June 2014's Additional Group Read 2 4 Apr 18, 2014 08:19AM
  • Highland Crossings (Romancing America)
  • The Quakers of New Garden
  • Colonial Courtships
  • The Bartered Bride Collection
  • Central Park Rendezvous
  • Sundays in Fredericksburg
  • A Bride's Portrait of Dodge City, Kansas
  • Strong and Stubborn (Husbands for Hire, #3)
  • Cherry Blossom Capers
  • Rainbow's End
  • The Key on the Quilt (The Quilt Chronicles #1)
  • Marrying the Major (The Women of Swan's Nest, #4)
  • When Love Comes My Way
  • Something New (Plains City Bridesmaids #2)
  • Saving Gideon (Clover Ridge, #1)
  • Deep Trouble (Wild West Weddings #2)
  • Lily (Song of the River #1)
  • A Log Cabin Christmas Collection
Rhonda Gibson lives in New Mexico with her husband James. She has two children and three beautiful grandchildren. Reading is something she has enjoyed her whole life and writing stemmed from that love. When she isn’t writing or reading, she enjoys gardening, beading and playing with her dog, Sheba. She speaks at conferences and local writing groups. You can visit her at www.rhondagibson.net where ...more
More about Rhonda Gibson...

Romancing America (1 - 10 of 99 books)
  • Rainbow's End
  • Aloha Brides
  • Red Rock Weddings
  • Christmas at Barncastle Inn
  • A Riverwalk Christmas: Four Couples Find Love in Romantic San Antonio
  • Seaside Romance
  • Georgia Brides
  • Maple Notch Brides
  • Ohio Brides (Romancing America)
  • Cornhusker Dreams (Romancing America)

“story. “Then I accept.” 0 likes