Start by marking “The Inspector's Daughter (Rose McQuinn, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Inspector's Daughter (Rose McQuinn, #1)

The Inspector's Daughter (Rose McQuinn #1)

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Rose McQuinn returns to Edinburgh from the American wild west of 1895. Her baby has died while her husband Danny, working with the Pinkerton’s Detective Agency in Arizona goes missing. She has little time to grieve before she unwittingly takes on a new career by agreeing to investigate the strange behaviour of the husband of her childhood friend Alice. But what appears to ...more
Published (first published July 29th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Inspector's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Inspector's Daughter

Deanne
A good start with much of the book taken up with providing background to Rose's life, her experiences, her family etc.
There's the advantage of setting the book in Edinburgh, a place I want to visit, it's where my parents met. Love history and it's got lots of that.
Going to have to arrange a trip there.
Martina Lennon
I really enjoyed this new to me series. Incredibly easy to read. You never know what browsing your local library shelves does for your reading. By the way no I did not read this on a Kindle, just that goodreads did not have a hardback listing.
Linda Owen
Sweet, not too violent, main character is somewhat anachronistic, but it was an enjoyable bedtime read.
Cath
Finally read the first one in the series which has helped retrospectively to set the scene. Good read and a fairly pleasant way to to pass the time!

Rose returns home to Scotland after 10 years to discover how Edinburgh has been developed and society is moving on from the 19th century. This book sets the scene for how Rose becomes an investigator and starts life again after losing her husband and child.
C.L.
I loved this book . One of those English mysteries I just couldn't put down. Apparently from what I can tell not published in the states so it has been hard to find others by this writer. I've found several at used bookstores though.
Scott
Loved the Inspector Faro series. This one about his daughter and her detecting abilities is excellent as well. Alanna knight is a wonderful author. I have yet to find anything she has written that I have not thoroughly enjoyed.
Kt.
I read all of this series. Easy to follow. Like able characters. Good setting.
Anna
Not very good, managed to finish tough.
Tara Chevrestt
Free today.
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Bernice
Bernice marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Doreen
Doreen marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Eszter
Eszter marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Jeanie Rex
Jeanie Rex marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
  • Shadow of the Serpent (Inspector McLevy, #1)
  • The Poisonous Seed (A Frances Doughty Mystery, #1)
  • Goodnight Sweet Prince (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #1)
  • The Companion (Lizzie Martin, #1)
  • A Death in the Family
  • Face Down in the Marrow-Bone Pie (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #1)
  • What Alice Knew: A Most Curious Tale of Henry James & Jack the Ripper
  • A Dissection of Murder (Dr Dody McCleland, #1)
  • Gold Digger (A Klondike Mystery #1)
  • The Broken Token
  • To Shield the Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #1)
  • Get Out or Die (Aurelia Marcella, #1)
  • Driftnet
  • The Keeper of Secrets (Tobias Campion, #1)
  • The New Magdalen
  • Wine of Violence (Medieval Mystery, #1)
  • Midnight Fires (Mary Wollstonecraft, #1)
  • The Three Body Problem
aka Margaret Hope

Alanna Knight MBE has published more than sixty novels (including sixteen in the acclaimed Inspector Faro series, and seven featuring his daughter Rose McQuinn), as well as non-fiction, true crime and several books on Robert Louis Stevenson, numerous short stories and two plays since her award-winning first book ‘Legend of the Loch’ in 1969. A founding member and Honorary Presiden
More about Alanna Knight...

Rose McQuinn (8 books)
  • Dangerous Pursuits (Rose McQuinn, #2)
  • An Orkney Murder (Rose McQuinn, #3)
  • Ghost Walk (Rose McQuinn, #4)
  • Destroying Angel (Rose McQuinn, #5)
  • Quest for a Killer (Rose McQuinn, #6)
  • Deadly Legacy
  • The Balmoral Incident (Rose McQuinn series Book 8)
Enter Second Murderer (Inspector Faro, #1) An Orkney Murder (Rose McQuinn, #3) Blood Line (Inspector Faro, #2) Dangerous Pursuits (Rose McQuinn, #2) A Quiet Death (Inspector Faro, #5)