Start by marking “Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)” as Want to Read:
Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)

Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin #4)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,937 Ratings  ·  276 Reviews

After six months in London, Agatha Raisin returns to her beloved Cotswold village—and her dashing neighbor, James Lacey. Well, sort of. James might not be so interested in Agatha. But soon enough, Agatha becomes consumed by her other passion: crime-solving. A woman has been found dead in a lonely field nearby. Her name is Jessica Tartinck, a hiker who infuriated wealthy la

Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published August 1st 2000 by Books On Tape (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley, please sign up.

Hollyken3 . That's very true! He seems to only like her when she is acting like she doesn't like him, and he overreacts extremely when she even hints that she…moreThat's very true! He seems to only like her when she is acting like she doesn't like him, and he overreacts extremely when she even hints that she likes him.(less)

The Flooze
Oct 11, 2011 The Flooze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, my. Oh, my!

Another neat, fast-paced mystery centering on ghastly murders in an otherwise ideal setting. When a rambler (hiker) from a nearby town is found dead in a field, Agatha is called upon to dig up all the info she can.

Of course, investigations are far more exciting with James Lacey in tow. And how much more exciting still to go undercover with the chap - as a married couple!

Though the mystery has its fair share of plausible, unsettling suspects, the highlight of this tale is the in
Una Tiers
I'd forgotten how Charles Fraith came into the series. It was an interesting re-read looking at the characters.
Yvonne
Apr 18, 2015 Yvonne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m really liking these Agatha Raisin audios. They are relatively short and I can finish them in a week while I commute to and from work.

Agatha is still full of herself and it’s taking me a long time to warm up to her, but I’m finally coming around. LOL She sure is relentless in the pursuit of her handsome neighbor, James Lacey. Some of her decisions make me shake my head and other times I just want to shake her.

I find myself becoming more involved in the characters and their relationships then
Ellie
Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley by M.C. Beaton is fourth in Beaton's Agatha Raisin series. Agatha, a 50+ public relations' executive has retired from her London agency to live a quiet life in a small village and, hopefully, learn how to make friends and live peacefully with others.

In this mystery, Agatha (a very bright woman with an abrasive personality) has returned to do a stint of public relations' work. She succeeds at it brilliantly-but also falls back into all her old bad habits.
Sukhi
Jun 14, 2015 Sukhi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
What makes Agatha Raisin special? She's spunky. She's stubborn. She knows how to get results. As a woman who had to work her way to success, she also has a major chip on her shoulder when she comes face to face with the wealthy or "old rich." She doesn't take anyone's nonsense. She is a strong woman. She's also human and craves meaningful relationships. She makes a way to create these relationships with the residents of Carsely. At least that's what I thought of her before I picked up this book ...more
Ivonne Rovira
Jun 06, 2012 Ivonne Rovira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm unusual in that I like the aggressive Agatha Raisin more than the lazy, unambitious Hamish MacBeth. This one is as good as the others in the series -- although the first one, Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death, is the best.

I suspect I liked the first book best because James Lacey played so little a part of it. The biggest mystery in this book, as in all of the them, is what lively, clever Agatha sees in the priggish James Lacey. He's a snob and a pill. There are women who think they're no
Andrea
Nov 14, 2012 Andrea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I didn't think much of this mystery. The writing is poor, the characterisation rather flat and unnecessarily crude in places (I especially didn't appreciate the rape "joke").

The premise was intriguing: a group of hikers take it upon themselves to open up the Medieval rights of way, when one of them disappears. I found the discussion about the rights of way interesting, but it was just a plot point and not very much was said about it.

I love the illustration on the cover of this copy. Pity the con
Janet Martin
Oct 08, 2015 Janet Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Agatha, adored Penelope Keith's performance. Fast and fun.
Gerry
Feb 17, 2014 Gerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Nice quiet pursuit. Rambling never leads to murder,' says constable Bill Wong to Agatha Raisin when he learns that she has taken the hobby up on her return from a stressful time working in London. He should have known better because only 13 pages later a rambler is found dead and, not surprisingly, the comment is, 'Someone has murdered her.'

Enter the indomitable Agatha and her friend, who she thinks she is in love with, James Lacey. The pair of them investigate, on this occasion with the blessi
Sep 15, 2015 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I usually enjoy reading about Agatha's antics, but this story was not as fun as previous installments. Agatha chasing her handsome and aloof neighbor was comical in the first books; but by this point in the series they are spending more time together, and he is revealing a very unlikable side to his personality. In addition, the murder-mystery side of the story had a particularly nasty tone.
Kate
Mar 19, 2015 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this series and spending time with Agatha in the English Cotswolds. Her temper and the rude things she says always make me laugh! This novel is the one in which James starts to see Agatha in a different light and so, as someone who has skipped around the series, I felt like it explained a lot about their relationship (which plays out in many subsequent books). A lot of fun!
Anne
Jul 12, 2015 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable book, an interesting story, good strong characters, and easy to get into. Agatha is back home in Carsely, and to the charming James Lacey. Agatha has joined a walking club, and true to form, before long a member of the group, Jessica Tartinck, is murdered. Jessica had annoyed a number of people, including the local landowners, by inisting on asserting the rights of the walking group to walk over their properties. So there are numerous suspects, including the members of the walking g ...more
CatarinaG
Aug 01, 2015 CatarinaG rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kobo, epub, english, 2015
Depois de ter sido forçada a trabalhar mais 6 meses como relações públicas, Agatha volta a casa onde chega à conclusão que a big city já não lhe diz mesmo mais nada... onde os vizinhos não lhe batem à porta para sabe como está e onde nem sequer o colega Roy a convida para uma bebida depois do trabalho.
Uma caminhante aparece morta numa propriedade onde queria passar à força num caminho público e Agatha vai investigar com o James já que a polícia também não parece estar a conseguir grande coisa.
Al
RebeccaS
May 16, 2016 RebeccaS rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
I didn't love this Agatha Raisin mystery. I think it was because I disliked ALL the characters involved (except the recurring characters). They were all shifty, cared only about themselves, and didn't seem all that upset about a murder (and the victim was awful I admit). They seemed to set out just to make trouble with people and all had serious tempers. I was a little surprised about the murderer, just because (view spoiler) ...more
Kris
Jul 12, 2011 Kris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Dolly
Sep 07, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
This is another fun mystery in the Agatha Raisin series by M.C. Beaton. I started reading this series this year and I like it; I will certainly be looking for the next book in the series soon. The stories are short, entertaining brain candy. This was an interesting story about a group of ramblers, and considering my recent trip to England, I can see how this kind of group would be popular. I did a lot of walking there, myself, and I'd like to think that it would be right up my alley (sans the mi ...more
Chris
Dec 18, 2008 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This time Agatha gets involved in a "ramblers" club. One of the walkers gets murdered. Hearing that Agatha is a "detective", another of the walkers asks her to find out what happened. In order to infiltrate the club members, Agatha poses as a married couple with her handsome next-door neighbor, James.

I didn't like this entry in the series as much as the first three even though Agatha finally gets her wish with James. I had problems with the last two CDs so I didn't get to hear the full story. T
Valerie
Once again an enjoyable read. The Agatha Raisin series sets one down in the small, market villages of the Cotswolds. This book, number 4, focuses on class struggle and right-of-way issues. During our summer home exchange visits to Europe we learned that land owners had to allow trekkers and other hikers a right-of-way through their property, and even allow camping in certain areas. This story finds walkers fighting to cross properties where old rights-of-way have been blocked, intentionally, or ...more
Rosalie
Jun 16, 2015 Rosalie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A trashy holiday read. I was annoyed by the stereotypes in this one and it is only number 4. The series is 25 books long and I'm pretty sure I won't make it to the end. I listened to the audio book, definitely made better by being read by Penelope Keith. OK as a 'brain in neutral' listen while driving. The one saving grace is the snarky bad tempered Agatha. I love her in all her awfulness.
Lynne
Jan 22, 2011 Lynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series of books. Agatha reminds me of a cross between Miss Marple (the original Margaret Rutherford characterisation, not the wimpy American versions - Miss Marple DIDN'T have an American accent!) and Peneople Keith's character Audrey on To The Manner Born! She's a lovable battle axe who's madly in love with her neighbout James Lacely and she seems to stumble onto murders with scary frequency in the sleepy Cotswold village of Carsely. These books are full of humour, eccentric, slight ...more
Hildigunnur
Jul 01, 2015 Hildigunnur rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exactly what it says on the box - light entertainment that goes down smoothly - and well written for it's genre
Denise
Jan 15, 2013 Denise rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: binned
Did Ms. Beaton send this out to be written by someone else? What a difference this one was to the previous stories. I usually give the series five stars because they make for such enjoyable reading, but I found myself actually being offended by this one. I also went back several times and re-read parts because I could swear the story was contradicting itself in detail. I'm sorely disappointed, but have started on the next in the series anyway. If it lets me down, I may give up on what I thought ...more
The Hobbit
Jan 24, 2016 The Hobbit rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
#4 in Agatha Raisin series. The Dembley Walkers used to take relaxing walks in the Cotswolds countryside until Jessica Tartinck joined the group and wormed her way into its leadership. Now the group spends weekends confronting wealthy landowners over the public rights-of-way that most denied walkers, claiming instead their land is private and walkers are trespassing. Sir Charles Fraith receives a letter from Jessica stating that the group will be walking through one of his fields the next weeken ...more
Ruth
Nov 03, 2015 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While flying to DC my seatmate and I started discussing the books that we were reading. It came up that I enjoy reading books that are set in England, Scotland, and Ireland and she asked if I had read books by MC Beaton. I grabbed one when I was in the library the other day and picked the one that was the closest to the beginning of the series. This one is book 4 in the Agatha Raisin series. Beaton also has another series called Hamish Macbeth. I was excited when I discovered that there are 26 b ...more
Luffy
Feb 26, 2015 Luffy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At three quarters in the book I had penciled it as a one star book. I was beginning to cohere about writing the review differently from the usual. I wanted to list 10 reasons why the book was irredeemable. Well, here we are in the middle of a 3 star review with no bullet points in sight. As soon as the annoying young ramblers were gone from the story, the book picked up pace.

Agatha Raisin got lucky with James, but that was not the only reason for the change in my mind. I thought that for some
Drusie's Biblio
You can translate this review on: http://labibliotecadidrusie.blogspot.it/
Voto: 7/10
Proseguo con la serie della detective più anomala del regno giallo. Ben lontana dalle manze spettacolari alla Kate Becket di Castle, non si avvicina neanche all’anziana pettegola Miss Murple. Agatha è una pensionata cinquantenne più in lotta con rughe e chili di troppo che con i cattivi che le capitano.
Anche come carattere è ben lontana dai classici esempi di virtù che la letteratura propone: è scorretta, irriver
Dina
Feb 05, 2015 Dina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2/4/15-2/5/15
C.J. Prince
After compulsively reading 21 of the Hamish Macbeth series, I happened to pick up a copy of "Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley" by the same author. While waiting for the next Hamish Macbeth to arrive, I picked up this book, #4 in the Agatha series.

One thing I expect of my protagonist is some likability. I kept reading and not finding anything but an anger, self absorbed, judgmental,rude, annoying woman. There is no character arch. The changes she makes seem very superficial.

As always, M.C
Ali
Dec 06, 2009 Ali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this the fourth Agatha Raisin novel, Agatha returns to Carsley after 6months back in the wicked world of London PR. A local ramblers group is at the centre of the latest murder that Agatha and her neighbour James Lacey become involved with. Their partnership this time yielding unexpected results. Agatha is her usual gruff self, brilliantly putting her foot squarly in her mouth during lunch at Sir Charles's Victorian mansion. Great light feel good stuff, perfect for a winter's Sunday afteroon.
Jodi
Agatha returns to Carsley after 6 months in London to discover that James has been leading a ramblers group. It's fortuitous as there has been a murder of a rambler in a group in Dembley and one of the members called her Aunt in Carsley and asked if Agatha could investigate. She and James pose as husband and wife and proceed to do just that. They even have police blessing since the police have nothing and could use some amateur assistance. James and Agatha find themselves mired in not one murder ...more
Agatha Raisin 3 34 Dec 14, 2013 10:54AM
  • Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple, #3)
  • Evan and Elle  (Constable Evans, #4)
  • The Body on the Beach (Fethering, #1)
  • Malice In Miniature (Dorothy Martin, #4)
  • The Lamp of the Wicked (Merrily Watkins, #5)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Watch a video of Marion discussing the casting of the AGATHA RAISIN Christmas special

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John
More about M.C. Beaton...

Agatha Raisin (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1)
  • The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Love from Hell (Agatha Raisin, #11)