Start by marking “The Vampire Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles #2)” as Want to Read:
The Vampire Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles #2)

The Vampire Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles #2)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  140,711 Ratings  ·  2,816 Reviews
Once an aristocrat in the heady days of pre-revolutionary France, now Lestat is a rockstar in the demonic, shimmering 1980s. He rushes through the centuries in search of others like him, seeking answers to the mystery of his terrifying exsitence. His story, the second volume in Anne Rice's best-selling Vampire Chronicles, is mesmerizing, passionate, and thrilling.
Mass Market Paperback, First Ballantine Books Edition, 550 pages
Published October 1986 by Ballantine Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Vampire Lestat, please sign up.

Anarw Not necessarily. In fact it can be easier to understand "Interview" if you've previously read "Lestat". For me, being familiar with the character…moreNot necessarily. In fact it can be easier to understand "Interview" if you've previously read "Lestat". For me, being familiar with the character makes the reading more intersting and enjoyable.(less)
Hannah B.
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Eddie Black
Jul 12, 2010 Eddie Black rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that defined me. I don't mean that I turned goth or vampire or whatever. No... it started me thinking.

I was born and raised in the South. I didn't read anything else other than fantasy novels (like Dragonlance). I joined the Marines in 89 and while watching a movie about a teenage vampire it was mentioned that Dracula is 'good literature'. I went to the base library to check out Dracula and beside it on the shelf was this book. I took this one instead.

The book was grea
Christine (AR)
Dear Anne Rice:

NOT WORTHY.

Signed, All Fictional Vampires Who Are Not Lestat

This was a re-read for me, but in all honesty, I don't think I was ready for this book the first time I read it. Or at least, I didn't appreciate it for the sheer masterpiece of storytelling that it is, and it's not just the mood and the world and the mythology and the fast-moving plot -- more than anything, it's the characters.

Lestat, of course, Rice's 'brat prince', arrogant and compassionate and impossible, all at the
Melissa
Oh, how I love Anne Rice.
I actually started reading these books after I read Twilight. Yes, surprisingly, I went back to vampire fiction after that. Meyer is a good writer, but once you've met Anne's Vampires, you're never going back. Anyhow, this book was great. It still has the good kind of vampires: the ones that sleep in coffins, drink human blood and burn in the sunlight.

description

This second book in the series wasn't disappointing, although I feared it might be, after reading the amazing 'Interview
Crystal Starr Light
The year is 1984, and Lestat is the famous lead singer of the group, The Vampire Lestat. He stumbles upon a simple little book, "Interview with the Vampire", starring Louis, his ersatz lover of sorts (because vampires don't exactly have lovers the same way humans do). So Lestat sets the record straight and tells the tale of his life as a vampire.

When people say this is better than Interview with the Vampire, they are not kidding. This book is light years better than "Interview". I almost wish th
Inés Izal
Nov 19, 2015 Inés Izal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Lestat fue el primer vampiro del que me enamoré.
Peter
Dec 16, 2015 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic, read-2012
This was the Audible audio book, unabridged, read by Simon Vance. Who gives a really good performance, I love his vampire voice!

Lestat de Lion court rises from his long hibernation in 1980 and decides to become a rockstar. He puts out an album and to accompany this he writes his autobiography - revealing the story of his youth as well as the history of the race of vampires, which started 4000 years ago in Ancient Egypt.

Some gleaned facts: Anne Rice loves the words: 'preternatural' and 'savage ga
Kelly
Nov 06, 2010 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is my suggestion that, if you want to sample Anne Rice, and have never read any of her other works, this may be the book you want to read instead of her most famous novel, "Interview with a Vampire." let me explain.
"The Vampire Lestat" is quite a different novel from the first in the series, because we are dealing with an entirely different vampire than the depressed and vulnerable Louis from Rice's first book. Don't get me wrong, Lestat was the antagonist in Interview but towards the end of
Bart
May 23, 2008 Bart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers in general
Recommended to Bart by: Todd
A happy surprise indeed. Perhaps it was a result of low expectations or a prior experience with the movie "Interview with the Vampire" that had me so unprepared to enjoy this novel.

The Vampire Lestat is a great read. It may not have all the literary quality of, say, Cormac McCarthy's equally gruesome accounts, but it is more enjoyable on its first reading.

What makes authors great, of course, is how their works hold up on revisits. Knowing the plotting and the conclusion of Anne Rice's novel, I'm
Stephen
4.0 to 4.5 stars. Anne Rice's re-imagining of the "vampire" mythos is excellent and Lestat is on my list of "All Time Favorite" characters. As good as this novel is, the books that follow:The Queen of the Damned, The Tale of the Body Thief and Memnoch the Devil are even better. Highly Recommended?

Nominee: World Fantasy Award for Best Novel (1986)
Nominee: Locus Award for Best Fantasy Novel (1986)
Craig "NEEDS MORE DAMN TIME TO READ !!!!"
Phew!!! Spent most of yesterday and some of today finishing this book. Very seductive read indeed, I do like how the author writes but from time to time I felt my concentration slipping because she goes on just that little bit more than is needed sometimes.
Miquel Reina
Anne Rice is definitely one of my favorite authors but as I said in my review for "Interview with the Vampire", in my opinion, Vampire Chronicles saga is divided into two parts; Interview with the Vampire and the rest of the books, especially by the shift in their point of view: the first point of view lies on Louis while in second lies on Lestat. That makes the "Vampire Lestat" and subsequent novels a more passionate and less melancholic mood than Interview with the vampire. Rice plunges us int ...more
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Was a 4 star but changed for personal reasons to a one.
Erika
Oh Lestat de Lioncourt, how can you be this rebel,
how dare you create such trouble while not giving a single thought to your actions.

This is the second book on The Vampire Chronicles, and it is time for Lestat to tell his story. It starts in the year 1984 if my mind is not playing tricks on me,

(wow, i just realized that i was reading this book at the same time with the book 1984. Isn't that weird? book set in 1984 while i was reading 1984... no?... but... are you sure?... not even a little?.
Michelle
Sep 14, 2012 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
TL;DR - it's worth reading if you enjoy the franchise, the characters, and are willing to self-edit (that is, skip the repetitive expositions).

Although I read this book when it was first published, and reread it a time or two in the intervening decades, most recently I "read" this book as an audio book, which is an interesting test for a book. The book is in the first person, so listening to it heightens the effect of Lestat telling you his story; however, I hadn't realized how much of the ponti
Rebecca
You'll notice this took me well over a month to read, which should say all that needs to be said considering how much time I have to read at the moment and how fast I normally read books.

That was going to be my entire review, until I came across this little gem of a line while powering through trying to finish yesterday: (said by Marius to Lestat) "The truth is most women are weak, be they mortal or immortal. But when they are strong, they are absolutely unpredictable" (page 409 in my edition).
Jon-michael
Sep 22, 2009 Jon-michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that defined me. I do mean that I turned goth or vampire or whatever. No... it started me thinking.

The book was great.
Chris
Sep 05, 2009 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In "Interview With a Vampire", Lestat was the villain, and could be viewed as a cold, unfeeling monster. In the sequel, Lestat gets a chance to 'set the record straight.' Reading HIS account on his life, and the years spent with Louis, he actually manages to gain sympathy, and he fully admits to being a brat prince of the undead, and you fall in love with this vampire who listens to Beethoven while riding a motorcycle down the moonlit streets. Lestat has an ego so large, it is little wonder that ...more
Cecilia
Dec 09, 2008 Cecilia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vampire lovers
Shelves: anne-rice, vampires
Amber
Feb 10, 2012 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own
I really enjoyed this novel and was so drawn in by the mind of Lestat. It took me awhile to pick this up after reading "Interview W/ The Vampire" because I felt like Louis was so depressing and I needed a break after reading it. Lestat is so much more charming and his life contains far more intrigue than his American counterparts. This novel cast Lestat in a completely different light, and really shows you just how ridiculous Louis & Claudia may have been being. (Saw that coming, total drama ...more
A few random thoughts because I won't be reviewing this on my website:

1. Simon Vance is a fantastic narrator.
2. I forgot how sensual Rice's writing is. Not "sexy" but overloaded with sensation. Lestat is a very emotional person who is captivated by sensation and prone to love easily. Rice really infuses her book with that. It's quite astonishing.
3. I absolutely loved how she wove history and myth into it all.
4. Vampires are dark, as they should be.
5. Some parts of the novel were a bit too dra
Gary
Jul 23, 2016 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the best vampire story by far
Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder
Krista Baetiong Tungol
I was so spellbound by this book that I had actually mulled over the idea of stealing Lestat away from Anne Rice—in any way possible :-)

It has been several years since I read The Vampire Lestat, but I still remember how I’d written Lestat several love poems and fancied myself becoming his vampire fledgling; dreamed of hunting alongside him to the very roofs of the Cathedral of Notre Dame or sleeping beside him in his extravagant sarcophagus (ha-ha, those teenage fantasies!).

I finished this book
RachelvlehcaR
I read this when in middle school. Interview with the Vampire was my first grown up book. I read it in 7th grade, thanks to my cousin that said I must read this series. At the time there was only three books. Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, and The Queen of the Damned

I read this and loved it more than Interview with the Vampire. It is a book about Lestat, his maker, and those around him. It's a tragic story and makes you question so many things. At least it did for me when I read
Chipper
Nov 26, 2009 Chipper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After thoroughly enjoying Rice's Interview With the Vampire, I fully expected to be let down by her second installment in The Vampire Chronicles: The Vampire Lestat. I was not. The Vampire Lestat is a fascinating character and novel. Like its predecessor, this novel is not a pop-culture vampire tale crafted for teenagers. Rather, it explores the problems, complications and inner-strife that immortality gives rise to and the larger questions an immortal might ask and seek to discover in himself, ...more
Mochacocafan
Let me clear one thing up: I haven't read Queen of the Damned yet, but this book definitely increased my love for Lestat.

In Interview With the Vampire, Lestat read to me as the aristocratic, realistic, practical vampire with a lust for blood and opinions grounded in blunt reality. I liked him as a villain, and I love him as a hero. Louis felt to me like a melodramatic teenager with a flair for angsty sololiquies. I don't hate him, but I don't have a passion for his character.

Lestat's history is
Monika
I was somewhere between middle and high school, and craved for something dark. I've never read "The Interview", but seen the movie, so when I found a shelf in bookstore with Rice on it, I immediately reached for Lestat as the second in the series.
And it comepletely blowed my mind back then. I remember marvelling on how real and alive the characters felt to me. I couldn't believe that all that was a product of imagination of one person. I loved the richness of Lestat's character, with all its fl
Angela
I'll leave my previous review here - because I did feel this way at one time. However...(stolen pic from Cory)

Previous thoughts:
(view spoiler)
Meli
Jan 14, 2013 Meli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Lestat es mi personaje favorito de toda la literatura entera, amo a este idiota y simplemente no concibo mi vida literaria (la real probablemente tampoco) si él no existiera.

Reseña de este libro, bien larga y como la gente, por acá :D
Plot holes between IWTV and TVL 3 41 Apr 14, 2015 10:12PM
Goodreads Choice ...: The Vampire Lestat (Vampire Chronicles #2) - February 2015 7 33 Feb 18, 2015 03:43AM
Is it worth it? 63 623 Jan 29, 2015 02:35PM
What did you all think about this one? 33 205 Nov 21, 2014 08:01AM
Anne Rice's Vampires: Gabrielle in The Vampire Lestat 2 50 Aug 14, 2014 10:30AM
Goodreads Librari...: add info to edition 2 14 Dec 31, 2013 01:23PM
Imperial Lofts Li...: October 2012 Book "The Vampire Lestat" 1 11 Nov 16, 2012 08:18PM
  • Children of the Vampire (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #2)
  • Anne Rice's The Tale of the Body Thief (A Graphic Novel)
  • Vampire World I: Blood Brothers (Necroscope, #6)
  • Drawing Blood
  • The Vampire Companion
  • Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #3)
  • Blood Pact (Vicki Nelson, #4)
  • Midnight Blue: Sonja Blue Collection
  • The Vampire Book
  • Traveling with the Dead (James Asher, #2)
  • A Density of Souls
  • I, Vampire: The Confessions of a Vampire - His Life, His Loves, His Strangest Desires ...
  • The Forbidden (Vampire Huntress Legend, #5)
Anne Rice (born Howard Allen Frances O'Brien) is a best-selling American author of gothic, supernatural, historical, erotica, and later religious themed books. Best known for The Vampire Chronicles, her prevailing thematical focus is on love, death, immortality, existentialism, and the human condition. She was married to poet Stan Rice for 41 years until his death in 2002. Her books have sold near ...more
More about Anne Rice...

The Vampire Chronicles (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Pandora (New Tales of the Vampires, #1)
  • Vittorio, The Vampire (New Tales of the Vampires, #2)
  • Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • The Queen of the Damned (The Vampire Chronicles, #3)
  • The Tale of the Body Thief (The Vampire Chronicles, #4)
  • Memnoch the Devil (The Vampire Chronicles, #5)
  • The Vampire Armand (The Vampire Chronicles, #6)
  • Merrick (The Vampire Chronicles #7)
  • Blood And Gold (The Vampire Chronicles, #8)
  • Blackwood Farm (The Vampire Chronicles, #9)

“None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.” 5344 likes
“The prince is never going to come. Everyone knows that; and maybe sleeping beauty's dead.” 846 likes