The Earth Will Shake (Historical Illuminatus Chronicles 1)

The Earth Will Shake (Historical Illuminatus Chronicles #1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  758 ratings  ·  21 reviews
They have been with us all through history: The "Invisible College" of wisdom, and their adversaries--the destroyers--who rise from the flames to burn again. The history of the world is their story: a conspiracy as vast and all-encompassing as the riddle of time itself.

In Naples, Italy, in 1764, a young aristocrat is about to stumble onto one piece of the great pattern.

Published February 5th 1991 by Roc (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Earth Will Shake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Earth Will Shake

kat
Suck on it, Dan Brown.
Michael
Jun 03, 2012 Michael rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teenagers, si-fi fans, magicians
Recommended to Michael by: serendipity
This was the first RAW book I read, at a time when I was perhaps an ideal “target audience” for it – a nerdy adolescent who was beginning to suspect that there was “more” to the world than had been presented to me by traditional authorities. I would still say that it is the best fiction (possibly the best writing) Wilson ever produced unaided - inferior to The Illuminatus! Trilogy: The Eye in the Pyramid/The Golden Apple/Leviathan, but that has to be partly credited to Shea. I think Wilson may h...more
James
Some years ago, during my more impetuous youth, I discovered this fabulously subversive trilogy of novels that tied together my love of conspiracy, drugs and satire, with dashes of clever dry wit. This was The Illuminatus! Trilogy, by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson. They blew my mind, and still do to this day.

Recently while trolling the net I discovered that Robert Anton Wilson (RAW) had written prequels to the original trilogy, showing the origins of "The Conspiracy" and an ancestor of one...more
J
I read this series years ago and remembered really enjoying it. Reading The Earth Will Shake reminds me why. I think my favorite aspect of this tale of Sigismundo Celine is how Wilson weaves famous figures and events from history into the narrative. I adore when authors do this, perhaps because my grasp of the historical timeline has always been a bit shaky.

Celine, the protagonist, is a musician and I love the way Wilson talks about music. It's really a beautiful thing. The inclusion of Mozart a...more
Spoonbridge
Revisiting Robert Anton Wilson's Illuminatus series was interesting, but not entirely as expected. After reading the monstrous, seminal “Illuminatus Trilogy” (which Wilson co-wrote) in high school during an intereste in conspiracy fiction, I was not entirely sure what to think about it (aside from being intrigued by the chaotic, sweeping conspitorial world) invented by Wilson. How much is history? How much is fantasy? In “The Earth Will Shake,” the first part of Wilson's “Historical Illuminatus...more
Erik Graff
Jul 13, 2009 Erik Graff rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wilson fans
Recommended to Erik by: James Koehnline
Shelves: literature
Martin introduced me to the history and mythology of the Illuminati shortly after high school, causing the two of us to look up every reference we could find and establishing a number of inside jokes cementing our friendship. Like UFOs, it was interesting to discover that many older acquaintances also had what they thought was some knowledge about the organization. It was amusing, for instance, to learn that the John Birch Society kept a two hundred year old book on the subject in print. Only y...more
David
This was a very interesting book and a very easy read, a real page-turner. Wilson explores and analyzes religion and secret societies while we grow very close to certain characters as we follow their life stories. Robert Anton Wilson is definitely a precursor to such authors as Dan Brown, but in my opinion Wilson takes his topics very seriously and seems to cover the intricacies of secret societies in much more detail than Brown. I can't wait to read the next two books in this trilogy!
Alicia
I enjoyed this book a lot more than I actually thought I would and I read it a lot faster than I thought I would. I really liked the setting and the historical kind of fantasy story throughout. I liked the characters and I liked the underlying ideas I managed to understand from this book. All in all a speedy engrossing read. Looking forward to the next book in the trilogy.
Aljan
I wanted to like this book. I found it to be written in a way that made it very hard for me to connect with the charaters. I got about halfway through and realized that I didn't really care about them, the story, or what the outcome would be and decided to move on. Very easy to put down.
gepr
Just as enlightened and entertaining as the first time I read it, which was probably in high school. Funny thing about RAW, his writing is timeless and a bit hypnotic. He isn't a great writer; but it's densely packed with concepts that are as banal or as transcendental as your mood at the time.
Lynsi
This trilogy was the first to make me passionate about american history. It follows with great characters the birth of america. All of the research on the secret societies and power struggles are noted unlike the DaVinci Code which recycled research without givng credit to the real scholars.
Peter
Easier to read and not quite as over-the-top as the original Illuminatus! trilogy. An intriguing mix of some history, lots of consipracy theories, mysteries and a young composer growing-up. Not as good as Umberto Eco, but an interesting read.
I am not sure how I heard about this book. It fell into my hands and took me for a ride. Love it when that happens. Lots of secret societies, history, and great reading. It is book one of a trilogy. Too bad no libraries in the state own book 2!
Sin Literate
I love the historical chronicles! I would recommend readingthese before the Illuminatus! Trilogy. It lays a framework for some of a lot of the same characters and narratives, but in a historical context, rather than sci fi/psychedelic.
Driton
Shay Bockmann
This is one of my favorite books of all time. It is fun, interesting and illuminating. I wish so much he'd have finished the series, and given the later books what they deserved as well.
John
Though the Historical Illuminati series is not quite as funny and drug-induced as the original, it has a more streamline plot and is quite fun to read.
Derek Baldwin
Very funny and very entertaining historical fortean romp, first part of a (sort-of) trilogy.
Synchro
Will no one help the widow's son?
Stephen
Mar 23, 2014 Stephen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of adventure, history, and human endeavor.
The first book of my favorite trilogy ever. I learn something new on almost every page. I just finished my second reading. In 1764, Sigismundo Celine, the 14 year old son of a wine merchant in Naples, Italy, is finding that everything he's been taught by the Catholic Church might be, shall we say, of questionable veracity? This book wins on almost every level. Searingly intelligent, unfailingly funny, unflinchingly brave in the face of danger. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Please f...more
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Emilee
Emilee added it
Aug 16, 2014
Justin K
Justin K marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Zach
Zach marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Carl
Carl added it
Aug 10, 2014
  • Leviathan (Illuminatus 3)
  • Undoing Yourself: With Energized Meditation and Other Devices
  • Principia Discordia, Or, How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her: The Magnum Opiate of Malaclypse the Younger
  • The Eye in the Triangle: An Interpretation of Aleister Crowley
  • The Philosopher's Stone
  • Endangered Species
  • The Invisibles, Vol. 3: Entropy in the U.K.
  • The Book of the SubGenius
  • The Center of the Cyclone: Looking into Inner Space
  • The Archaic Revival
  • Days Between Stations
  • The Hermetica of Elysium (The Elysium Texts, #1)
  • Condensed Chaos: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
  • Hrolf Kraki's Saga
  • The Confessions of Aleister Crowley: An Autohagiography
  • The World Jones Made
  • Shroom: A Cultural History of the Magic Mushroom
Robert Anton Wilson became, at various times, an American novelist, essayist, philosopher, polymath, psychonaut, futurist, libertarian and self-described agnostic mystic. Recognized as an Episkopos, Pope, and Saint of Discordianism by Discordians who care to label him as such, Wilson helped publicize the group/religion/melee through his writings, interviews, and strolls.

He described his work as an...more
More about Robert Anton Wilson...
Prometheus Rising Schrödinger's Cat Trilogy (Schrödinger's Cat, #1-3) Cosmic Trigger: Die letzten Geheimnisse der Illuminaten oder An den Grenzen des erweiterten Bewusstseins Quantum Psychology: How Brain Software Programs You & Your World Masks of the Illuminati