Start by marking “Nano House: Innovations for Small Dwellings” as Want to Read:
Nano House: Innovations for Small Dwellings

Nano House: Innovations for Small Dwellings

3.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  73 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Space is at a premium in growing cities. In the countryside, we want to preserve nature and the landscape. In impoverished parts of the world, the necessity for sustainable and economical shelter is stronger than ever. Lifestyles and daily routines are also changing. We live in an interconnected world in which digital communication, information, and entertainment are perva ...more
Published October 17th 2011 by Thames & Hudson

Amanda
A nano house is a super-small house, generally between 300 and under 1,000 square feet. This book shows off nano houses from all over the world with different goals in mind, from an eco-friendly retreat that blends in with the surroundings to pod buildings that could be assembled into space-saving towers in the city to more traditional house boats. One goal of all the houses remains the same. How little space can one person or family take up to make the smallest impact on the environment?

Instead
Diane
I like reading about smart design, whether it's houses or cars or cities, and this book has some neat photographs of tiny houses. I spent a pleasant morning paging through this book and was impressed by the various ways people had managed to build such small and efficient homes. Beautiful photographs, but not as much information as I had hoped.
Paige
Jun 21, 2012 Paige rated it it was ok
I got this from the library. I love the concept--I love the minimalist, neat, spic and span sort of thing. But after reading through it, I got the feeling that most people don't actually live in these homes, they're just design ideas or something.

Even still, I enjoyed flipping through it for the pictures... but there weren't enough of those included for every house, either. :\ I'm going to try Tiny Homes: Simple Shelter next. I haven't read it yet but it seems more like what I'm into/interested
Katie Mcsweeney
Jan 25, 2012 Katie Mcsweeney rated it did not like it
I was disappointed by this book :( I wanted it for maybe three months but couldn't justify spending the money on it. It was waiting under the Xmas tree for me and I was delighted... Until I read it. There wasn't enough information on any of the dwellings and the pictures were insufficient. I would not reccomend anyone else spend money on it. Browse it in the bookshop or the library but don't bother buying it because you won't open it again once you finish.
Sara Q
Feb 11, 2012 Sara Q rated it it was ok
Recommended to Sara Q by: public library
Flipped through the images, mainly, and read some of the details. The book's primary purpose seems to be coffee-table eye candy. Most of the houses really did not have enough information or visuals to be useful, though there were some interesting ideas for materials and mobility.
Melanie Faith
Jul 15, 2014 Melanie Faith rated it really liked it
I'd recommend reading this book AFTER a more basic book about tiny houses, to learn about the houses first and then to cull Nano House for even more variations on a theme. This book has many very cool tiny dwellings from across the world, including an environmental competition in Spain. It's amazing what some of the student teams envision and accomplish with space restrictions. The only thing I missed was the personal element (interviews with those who build and/or live in the houses). Aesthetic ...more
Satine Dali
Jan 06, 2016 Satine Dali rated it really liked it
Beautiful images of modern and innovative small spaces to live in. I especially loved the places that integrated with nature over the more "apartment styled" city dwellings. Interesting ideas on how to make the most of a smaller space and how to do so efficiently for the environment. I didn't see much mention of the use of hemp in building these Nano homes, which is lame because the book does emphasis on it's environmental concerns about architecture. I went online and followed (stalked) the arc ...more
Cat Fithian
Feb 06, 2015 Cat Fithian rated it liked it
Very swanky tiny homes. These would pretty much all cost what my "regular" home cost in Ohio. Not sure it's really any kind of savings, but boy, the pictures are cool. Many of these are for competitions like Solar Decathalon, etc., so they're experimental houses and not necessarily dwellings that people are living in.
Julie
Dec 11, 2011 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I discovered this book in the "new" section at the Library. The title caught my attention & I just had to see what it was all about. This book provides inspiration for someone who wants to build something that is, "off the beaten track". I have no practical use for it at this present time, however, it was fun to explore the different designs for small dwellings from all over the world. FYI: the internal area of each dwelling is less than 807 sq ft. There are lots of great pictures!
Carolanne
Aug 20, 2013 Carolanne rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, art
Pretty book from an architecture stand point but doesn't really fit into the movement of downsizing for simplistic living. A lot of these house were mock houses or vacation homes.
Don't get me wrong- they are beautiful and I'd live in most of them in a heartbeat but this is definitely the more luxurious, lucrative side of the Tiny House movement.
Molly
Jun 29, 2012 Molly rated it it was ok
I guess I was hoping that more of these would be houses people lived in, and not what just looked like experiments or art projects. And the ones that were really interesting just didn't have enough pictures.
Wendy
I'm sort-of obsessed with tiny houses. ..
Malika
Malika marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Kiran
Kiran marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Ángela Graña Varela
Ángela Graña Varela marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Rachie
Rachie added it
Mar 25, 2016
Tunde Awesu
Tunde Awesu marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Marilina
Marilina rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2016
David Luu
David Luu marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
NancyB
NancyB marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
João Reis
João Reis rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Colin Thompson
Colin Thompson rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Jan Votoček
Jan Votoček rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Mandi Ed
Mandi Ed marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Shaw Baker
Shaw Baker marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2015
Christian Nilsson
Christian Nilsson rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Megan
Megan rated it it was ok
Nov 24, 2015
A
A marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Shams
Shams marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015