Start by marking “Nano House: Innovations for Small Dwellings” as Want to Read:
Nano House: Innovations for Small Dwellings

Nano House: Innovations for Small Dwellings

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Space is at a premium in growing cities. In the countryside, we want to preserve nature and the landscape. In impoverished parts of the world, the necessity for sustainable and economical shelter is stronger than ever.
Lifestyles and daily routines are also changing. We live in an interconnected world in which digital communication, information, and entertainment are pervas
Published October 17th 2011 by Thames & Hudson

To ask other readers questions about Nano House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nano House

Amanda
A nano house is a super-small house, generally between 300 and under 1,000 square feet. This book shows off nano houses from all over the world with different goals in mind, from an eco-friendly retreat that blends in with the surroundings to pod buildings that could be assembled into space-saving towers in the city to more traditional house boats. One goal of all the houses remains the same. How little space can one person or family take up to make the smallest impact on the environment?

Instead
Diane
I like reading about smart design, whether it's houses or cars or cities, and this book has some neat photographs of tiny houses. I spent a pleasant morning paging through this book and was impressed by the various ways people had managed to build such small and efficient homes. Beautiful photographs, but not as much information as I had hoped.
Paige
I got this from the library. I love the concept--I love the minimalist, neat, spic and span sort of thing. But after reading through it, I got the feeling that most people don't actually live in these homes, they're just design ideas or something.

Even still, I enjoyed flipping through it for the pictures... but there weren't enough of those included for every house, either. :\ I'm going to try Tiny Homes: Simple Shelter next. I haven't read it yet but it seems more like what I'm into/interested
Katie Mcsweeney
I was disappointed by this book :( I wanted it for maybe three months but couldn't justify spending the money on it. It was waiting under the Xmas tree for me and I was delighted... Until I read it. There wasn't enough information on any of the dwellings and the pictures were insufficient. I would not reccomend anyone else spend money on it. Browse it in the bookshop or the library but don't bother buying it because you won't open it again once you finish.
Sara Q
Feb 11, 2012 Sara Q rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sara Q by: public library
Flipped through the images, mainly, and read some of the details. The book's primary purpose seems to be coffee-table eye candy. Most of the houses really did not have enough information or visuals to be useful, though there were some interesting ideas for materials and mobility.
Melanie Faith
I'd recommend reading this book AFTER a more basic book about tiny houses, to learn about the houses first and then to cull Nano House for even more variations on a theme. This book has many very cool tiny dwellings from across the world, including an environmental competition in Spain. It's amazing what some of the student teams envision and accomplish with space restrictions. The only thing I missed was the personal element (interviews with those who build and/or live in the houses). Aesthetic ...more
Julie
I discovered this book in the "new" section at the Library. The title caught my attention & I just had to see what it was all about. This book provides inspiration for someone who wants to build something that is, "off the beaten track". I have no practical use for it at this present time, however, it was fun to explore the different designs for small dwellings from all over the world. FYI: the internal area of each dwelling is less than 807 sq ft. There are lots of great pictures!
Carolanne
Pretty book from an architecture stand point but doesn't really fit into the movement of downsizing for simplistic living. A lot of these house were mock houses or vacation homes.
Don't get me wrong- they are beautiful and I'd live in most of them in a heartbeat but this is definitely the more luxurious, lucrative side of the Tiny House movement.
Molly
I guess I was hoping that more of these would be houses people lived in, and not what just looked like experiments or art projects. And the ones that were really interesting just didn't have enough pictures.
Wendy
I'm sort-of obsessed with tiny houses. ..
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Pavel
Pavel marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Sdaerdoog
Sdaerdoog marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Lyn
Lyn marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Grey
Grey marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Frederikke
Frederikke is currently reading it
Oct 12, 2014
Archer Dedi
Archer Dedi marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Karen
Karen added it
Oct 02, 2014
Ingrid
Ingrid added it
Sep 26, 2014
Patti
Patti is currently reading it
Sep 19, 2014
Mark Bender
Mark Bender is currently reading it
Sep 19, 2014
Akshma
Akshma marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Yuri Barsukov
Yuri Barsukov marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
XS: Big Ideas in Small-Scale Building Xs Extreme: Big Ideas, Small Buildings StyleCity Paris Designed for Kids New Spiritual Architecture