Start by marking “Folly: The Consequences of Indiscretion” as Want to Read:
Folly: The Consequences of Indiscretion

Folly: The Consequences of Indiscretion

Lovers of art comics will know Hans Rickheit from his smashing graphic novel The Squirrel Machine (2008), but Rickheit has, for over a decade, been producing his own self-published comics — reaching into the deepest cupboards of the back-mind and culling these strange artifacts. He has been a basement- dweller, gallery troll, and a purveyor of forbidden notions. Originally ...more
Published April 30th 2012 by Fantagraphics (first published April 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Folly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Folly

Sam Quixote
Mar 10, 2016 Sam Quixote rated it liked it
Folly is a collection of short strips by obscurantist cartoonist (obscurartist?) Hans Rickheit. What is obscurantism? It’s an art style that is deliberately vague in its meaning – and, boy, does that nail Rickheit’s work!

Get ready for strips featuring a teddy bear-headed man in a trench-coat sticking two cats together head-first before pushing a plank of wood through his face. Watch as organ-like things in jars are fondled by animal-headed humanoids with gross skin diseases leading to tentacula
Nate D
Apr 20, 2012 Nate D rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: cochlea
Recommended to Nate D by: eustachia
Older Chrome Fetus-era Rickheit collected! As weird as hoped/expected, but a little more absurd than morose this time around due to the punchiness of shortened serial format. Moves chronologically up through 2006 or so, around when he was composing The Squirrel Machine, so there's definitely an obvious arc of improvement, in both art and writing. Even though I worry he can get to the border of a sort of, um, scary-doll-head awkwardness, there's a lot in his work that is absolutely irresistible t ...more
Crystal Starr Light
Aug 22, 2015 Crystal Starr Light rated it it was ok
Bullet Review:

This is so absurd and weird - I can't stop seeking this guy's work out. Though those girls! I mean, seriously, pants are a thing!
David Schaafsma
Early Chrome Fetus period Rickheit, showing the development of various interests of the artist. Sometimes funny, always strange. Surreal and occasionally disturbing. Some are Cochlear and Eustachia stories. The "folly" of the title is trying to discern order from art or the universe or the imagination. There's indiscretion here that will offend many readers, too. Those offenses usually have dark and ominous consequences: Darwin gone to hell. Not for the faint of heart; Woodring and Burns ...more
Andrew
Oct 25, 2014 Andrew rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-alt
For fans of the authors more popular work Squirrel Machine, this is more of the same stuff but instead of one long narrative, this is a series of shorter ones.

For someone who's not a fan of surrealism, I found myself surprisingly intrigued by this book.
Anthony Vacca
Nov 18, 2014 Anthony Vacca rated it really liked it
A beguiling batch of comic shorts featuring mostly the perversely macabre mischief-makings of the identical and pants-less nymphets Cochlea & Eustachia, and also the desolate wanderings of a trench-coated figure with a teddy-bear head for a head who scavenges for bits of machinery and Burroughs-esque critters. These dual narratives are pleasantly padded with several odds-and-ends featuring disturbing dream imagery and psychosexual (can't write a review for Rickheit without dropping a ...more
Derek Parker
May 10, 2015 Derek Parker rated it really liked it
A collection of Rickheit's earlier short work, Folly is the perfect opportunity to see the evolution of an artist over a brief period...and to learn of his visual and thematic style. Orifices, hidden drawers, tumorous growths, Freudian composites, emissions: these are the elements that define Rickheit's many stories. And there is also the reoccurrence of certain characters, such as Cochlea and Eustachia, and especially the Unnamed Protagonist (a bear-headed figure in a long coat and scarf). You ...more
Chumbert Squurls
This book seems much more complete than the extravagant but disjointed Squirrel Machine. It shows the evolution of Rickheit's "Underbrain" universe over an 11 year period. As a reader, one watches Rickheit go from being a crude creator of mini-comics designed to shock and disturb to a professional manufacturer of elaborate longer pieces akin to such original artists like Renee French, Al Columbia or Jim Woodring. The Underbrain universe that Rickheit weaves is a unique post-apocalyptic world ...more
P.
Nov 13, 2014 P. rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
perverse, surreal, with touches of Hans Bellmer and Francis Bacon etc. these are the comics you want to read if you're looking to feel titillatingly gross. I mean that as a compliment.

there was one part where a gnarled fleshy creature fell down and the noise it made when it hit the floor was "blog" and that cracked me up.
amy boese
Nov 01, 2012 amy boese rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012, graphics
Interesting and challenging. Gratuitous might be the right word if the art hadn't also drawn me in, as if I could figure out what the meaning was if I just read more.

On the other hand, some things you can't take back after you've seen them. Ew.
Peacegal
Aug 08, 2012 Peacegal rated it really liked it
Imagine if Jim Woodring and Salvador Dali mated and produced a hell baby whom they force-fed LSD and locked in a room with nothing but steampunk novels. That's Hans Rickheit.
محمد
Aug 04, 2012 محمد rated it it was amazing
Shelves: كومكس
حكايات كثيرة عن الانسان المهزوم، عن الكائنات التي نخلقها ونرعاها لكي تبتزنا، عن اهانة الواحد لنفسه كي يرضي الآخرين.
لا يمكن قراءة هذه المجموعة بعيداً عن الاحساس بالرعب.
Aaj
Oct 29, 2016 Aaj rated it did not like it
It is collection of short tales most of which heavily depends on gory visual that the artist tried to create.
Andrea Mullarkey
Mar 18, 2015 Andrea Mullarkey rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
These comics are strange. So strange that when I was asked how I got turned onto them not only could I not remember I couldn't even guess who might have suggested them. I suppose all of Rickheit's work is odd like this but not having been exposed to it I can only comment on this collection. And it's an interesting introduction as it's a collection of shorter comics he wrote over the long stretch of time when he was working on other longer-form semi-autobiographical books. But it's got all of ...more
Mpho3
Sep 29, 2012 Mpho3 added it
If Cronenberg started drawing comix....

I was in a cafe in San Francisco once, one that I liked a lot and that often featured the work of local artists. One particular time I couldn't enjoy my meal because the art on the walls that day was distracting. I remember thinking to myself how most artists are trying to produce or reproduce something that's in their mind or soul, and I was disturbed that this person had such things in their head, but I was also angry because I did not want them in mine.
Tyler Kroon
Sep 02, 2016 Tyler Kroon rated it liked it
Unsettling, disgusting, explicit, and macabre, Folly is truly the stuff of nightmares. Short comics with few repeating characters (namely a teddy-bear-headed man in a trench coat and a set of young, scantily-clad blonde girls wearing masks) make up this paperback, which covers some horrifying, often Freudian themes. Though I physically cringed on nearly every page, it was an entertaining read, and the illustrations certainly made an impression; I fully expect to see them in my dreams tonight.
Whatsupchuck
Mar 04, 2013 Whatsupchuck rated it it was amazing
Combine Winsor McCay, Salvador Dali, and H.P. Lovecraft and what do you get? This book.

Phenomenally unsettling and uncanny. I haven't had a nightmare in over 20 years, but after finishing this I wondered as I was going to bed if I would now. Not because it was a frightening book, but it seemed unlikely that it would in no way affect my psyche.

Not recommended for anyone who is squeamish or disturbed by imagery.
Ryan
Aug 09, 2016 Ryan rated it liked it
Recommended only if you like bizarre stories with mostly no meaning. Most is very well illustrated, but a lot of it looks like the artist was still developing his style. The stories that do have meaning are a bit mean-spirited, but I suppose that is the artists intent. Now that the artist has better developed his style with The Squirrel Machine, I look forward to future works.
Geoff Sebesta
Aug 02, 2015 Geoff Sebesta rated it it was amazing
This is the type of hallucinogenic entertainment that only comics can pull off. I'm enthralled by the way he constantly goes past the most obvious next step to find something truly unexpected. It all seems to add up to something.

It's the same general thing as Frank, but more to my tastes somehow. The art is exhilarating and upsetting.
Alex
Nov 12, 2012 Alex rated it it was amazing
Somebody said, to paraphrase: what's obvious to the author is genius to the world. To the author, their perspective is so ordinary because they live with it. But when the world responds, they are labeled a genius.

So it is with Hans Rickheit. Folly's world is fantastic and disturbing. It seems like the punchline of every page is to break and abuse your expectations. Just excellent.
Mjhancock
Jul 07, 2012 Mjhancock rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Brilliant, in a baffling sort of way. The back has ablurb by Jim Woodring, and Woodring is a good comparison here, in that Rickheit also has an absurdist, somewhat dark tone going on here; Peter Blegvad works in a similar style as well.
Brandy
Apr 11, 2015 Brandy rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
What the actual f*ck? To be fair, I asked a friend and comic collector what the most f*cked up comic he's read was and this is what he pulled off his shelf. Touché.
Salimbol
Sep 07, 2014 Salimbol rated it liked it
[3 and 1/2 stars]
Angus Stirling
Apr 26, 2014 Angus Stirling rated it it was ok
As if R. Crumb mutated into David Cronenberg via Alejandro Jodorowsky.
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2013
Ellis
Ellis rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2012
Molly
Aug 21, 2012 Molly rated it liked it
This is just one long, crazy, trippy dream. Very good.
Candace
Candace rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2014
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2013
Alison Barlow
Alison Barlow rated it did not like it
Aug 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Portable Frank
  • Garden
  • Interiorae
  • Billy Hazelnuts (Billy Hazelnuts, #1)
  • The Ticking
  • You are There
  • The Cardboard Valise
  • Pure Trance
  • One Soul

Hans Rickheit has been an artist and cartoonist for over 25 years with a devoted following of readers and fans. His comics and drawings have entertained and educated people worldwide, having been featured in publications such as THE STRANGER, KRAMER'S ERGOT, PROPER GANDER, PAPER RODEO, LEGAL ACTION COMICS, BLURRED VISIONS, HOAX and TYPHON. In addition, his work can be found in other media, from po
More about Hans Rickheit...