Start by marking “The Earth Has a Soul: The Nature Writings of C.G. Jung” as Want to Read:
The Earth Has a Soul: The Nature Writings of C.G. Jung

The Earth Has a Soul: The Nature Writings of C.G. Jung

While never losing sight of the rational, cultured mind, Jung speaks for the natural mind, source of the evolutionary experience and accumulated wisdom of our species. Through his own example, Jung shows how healing our own living connection with Nature contributes to the whole.
Published June 28th 2011 by North Atlantic Books (first published May 20th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Earth Has a Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Earth Has a Soul

The Republic by PlatoHoly Bible by AnonymousBeing and Time by Martin HeideggerCritique of Pure Reason by Immanuel KantDas Kapital by Karl Marx
The 100 Most Influential Books Ever Written
31st out of 171 books — 197 voters
Being and Time by Martin HeideggerThe Ecological Rift by John Bellamy FosterDas Kapital by Karl MarxThe Shock Doctrine by Naomi KleinPhenomenology of Spirit by Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
Most Influential Books
28th out of 172 books — 133 voters

More lists with this book...

Feb 05, 2009 Francesca rated it really liked it
Be like Carl and grow your own damn potatoes.
Olivier Goetgeluck
Apr 11, 2016 Olivier Goetgeluck rated it it was amazing
Most practical book on Jung I've read! Read it if you are restless sometimes or most times.

We want simplicity. We are suffering, in our cities, from a need of simple things. We would like to see our great... terminals deserted, the streets deserted, a great peace descend upon us.

Dreams are pure nature to which must be added human reflection and discernment. We now know that the dreaming function in mammals is approximately 140,000,000 years old and does have a survival function.

Jung's advice for
Lisa Blanton
Mar 13, 2012 Lisa Blanton rated it really liked it
I'm halfway through this book and I love it. Jung believes that we as humans need to hold on to our connection to nature, because even though we may see ourselves as civilized beings, we are still essentially animals and are subject to our basic animal nature. A strong connection to the natural world aroud us helps us to enjoy our lives more and be at peace with our inner selves. (At least, that's an oversimplified take on the first half of the book, I'll revise this when I've read more!)
Richard Reese
Mar 22, 2015 Richard Reese rated it it was amazing
Carl Gustav Jung (1875-1961) was born in Kesswil, Switzerland, a wee lakeside hamlet that had changed little since the Middle Ages. His rustic upbringing gave him the gift of intimate contact with the natural world, a profound source of meaning for him: “Every stone, every plant, every single thing seemed alive and indescribably marvelous.” Like his mother, Jung had the ability to access his archaic mind. He had an old soul that was intimately connected with all living creatures, and to the worl ...more
Jul 10, 2009 Gianetta rated it really liked it
I read this book once with the idea that I would read it again. So far, I have not. This is a compelling book of selections from Jung's published works, seminars, interviews, letters and speeches that demonstrate his affinity for and kinship with the natural world. One of my favorite quotes from Jung is: "Sometimes a tree can tell you more than can be read in a book." This is one of those books that begs to be re-read that one might glean more and more with each visit to its pages.
Anna Marija Kola
Mar 23, 2013 Anna Marija Kola rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-time-favs
"The man whose interests are all outside is never satisfied with what is necessary, but is perpetually hankering after something more and better which, true to his bias, he always seeks outside himself."

A wonderful book for everyone who loves Jung's way of thinking. Great excerpts from different sources.
Apr 03, 2013 Alissa rated it really liked it
Very enlightening.. Wish it would have been written by him completely, not just excerpts put together.
Aug 16, 2016 Parnell rated it it was amazing
Jung is brilliant. This book is pretty good, it's a collection of excerpts from Jung's writings on Nature and man's relationship with Nature (or lack thereof).

It left a strong impact on me during a time of upheaval for me, a time in which I experienced a great deal of disconnection and estrangement from my own nature, my own connection with the unconscious.

Definitely worth reading.
Nick Mather
This is a sampling of writings taken from Jung's Collected Works and is very accessible. Jung argues that our psyches (and the collective unconscious) are nature and that we have distanced ourself from nature at great cost. Much of what he writes is rather prophetic given the current state of nature and the unease that most feel.
Apr 07, 2012 Colin rated it it was amazing
Dr. Sabini has done us all a great service in presenting the words for Carl Jung from his collected works, letters and seminars on the relationship between the psyche and nature. This is a must read for everyone interested in mind, body, soul and earth and how this dynamic is so important to our species.
Aug 22, 2008 Betsy rated it it was ok
Struggling with this one, will probably not finish it. I was really excited about it too - don't you hate that? So far this is what I'm taking from it: Jung liked to go camping. It helped him form some of his famous theories. Cool.
Dec 16, 2011 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at!
Jan 02, 2011 Tamara rated it really liked it
Haven't read Jung since undergrad. His was such a unique perspective for the time it was written.
Monika Moon
Oct 09, 2016 Monika Moon rated it really liked it
I finally understood my urge to buy land and grow plants on it. Thank you Mr Jung. :-)
Tin Prevendar
Tin Prevendar marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2016
Maryam added it
Oct 21, 2016
AC marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2016
Hopebringer marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2016
Rachel marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2016
Adina added it
Oct 09, 2016
Jannik Alleslev
Jannik Alleslev marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2016
Brendan marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2016
Eileen Gingko
Eileen Gingko marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2016
Ashlyn Kisiah
Ashlyn Kisiah marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2016
Carly Kaste
Carly Kaste marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2016
George marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2016
Jeremy K
Jeremy K marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Sanjay Carter-rau
Sanjay Carter-rau is currently reading it
Sep 21, 2016
Cachita Paredes Vasquez
Cachita Paredes Vasquez marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Brodie marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
  • Our Dreaming Mind
  • The Origins and History of Consciousness
  • Creation Myths
  • Jung's Map of the Soul: An Introduction
  • The Cosmic Game: Explorations of the Frontiers of Human Consciousness (SUNY Series in Transpersonal and Humanistic Psychology)
  • The Meaning of Trees: Botany - History - Healing - Lore
  • The Psychology of C.G. Jung
  • The Death of Nature: Women, Ecology, and the Scientific Revolution
  • The Dream of the Earth
  • Carl Jung: Wounded Healer of the Soul: An Illustrated Biography
  • Jung: A Biography
Carl Gustav Jung (/jʊŋ/; German: [ˈkarl ˈɡʊstaf jʊŋ]), often referred to as C. G. Jung, was a Swiss psychiatrist and psychotherapist who founded analytical psychology. Jung proposed and developed the concepts of extraversion and introversion; archetypes, and the collective unconscious. His work has been influential in psychiatry and in the study of religion, philosophy, archeology, anthropology, l ...more
More about C.G. Jung...