Start by marking “Man and His Symbols” as Want to Read:
Man and His Symbols

Man and His Symbols

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  10,116 ratings  ·  294 reviews
Illustrated throughout with revealing images, this is the first and only work in which the world-famous Swiss psychologist explains to the layperson his enormously influential theory of symbolism as revealed in dreams.
Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Published August 15th 1968 by Dell (first published January 1st 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Man and His Symbols, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man and His Symbols

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill BrysonA Brief History of Time by Stephen HawkingCosmos by Carl SaganThe Selfish Gene by Richard DawkinsGuns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond
Best Science Books - Non-Fiction Only
72nd out of 885 books — 2,060 voters
Blink by Malcolm GladwellOutliers by Malcolm GladwellFreakonomics by Steven D. LevittPredictably Irrational by Dan ArielyThe Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
Greatest Psychology Books
14th out of 475 books — 552 voters

More lists with this book...

Trevor
I have a strange love / hate relationship with Jung. There are so many things about him that I find utterly fascinating and then others that I think are just crazy. I would rather think one thing or the other, but since he was obsessed with dualities, perhaps he would be happy with my conflicting and opposite feelings towards him.

There are things about his ideas that I find incredibly appealing. A personal story might help make that clear. I started reading this book a while ago now – before I s
علی
اگر تعبیر خواب و رویای فروید را خوانده اید، از "انسان و سمبول هایش" لذت مشابهی خواهید برد. با این همه کتاب سوم در این زمینه "زبان از یاد رفته" از اریش فروم است که به اندازه ی هر دوی اینها جالب و خواندنی ست. این هر سه کتاب روند نگاه به رویا را در طی سه دهه نشان می دهند، از فروید که عناصر رویا را در ارثیه ی روحی و روانی و جنسی شخص از روزگار رشدش می داند، تا یونگ که ریشه های رویا را در گذشته ی اساطیری و آیینی انسان می بیند و بالاخره اریش فروم که به مخلوطی از این دو اشاره می کند، و جهان رویا را از گ ...more
Owen Spencer
My university professors never introduced me to Carl Jung. I understand why, I guess, but it's a shame that I didn't read Jung's work until now. Jungian psychology is amazing. It addresses the unconscious and the "self"/"psyche" in a unique and enlightening way. And, unlike most other psychologists, Jung did not shy away from unexplained phenomena and the so-called "paranormal". His theory provides insights into "unexplained" phenomena and is the only major psychological theory that includes the ...more
Nandakishore Varma
This is one of the three books which influenced my literary and mythical outlook (The Hero With a Thousand Faces and The Uses of Enchantment: The Meaning and Importance of Fairy Tales being the other two). All my life, I have been fascinated by symbols and their near-universality: the weird way they recur in dreams and the way they keep on popping up in mythologies. I have also been fascinated by journeys in literature, myth and movies.

Jung tied it all together for me, in this collection of essa
amine
Priceless 60 years of Jungian insight on Man and his collective unconscious as a part of everyday life and symbols through Jung's vast knowledge, professional and personal experience. It also shows what modern man and pure materialist thought has lost ignoring an unquestionable part of us and pushing it inside a drawer. It is not meant to show a path.

Now a quote from Man and His Symbols which I found quite funny (it's not the bulk of the book or the main points, merely a funny thing):
"I myself f
John Kulm
I love this book, although the used "Dell" edition I bought is falling apart. I'll have to buy another copy. The book has much to say about dreams and art. I'm adding some quotes from the book to the review I posted a few days ago.

If you think about the following quote while viewing paintings, you might find insights about artists who often, unconsciously, express their conscious attitude to the right of the canvas and their unconscious attitude on the left: “Among other things ‘right’ often me
Bob Nichols
This is a collection of essays on Jungian thought. The initial essay was written by Jung, who also approved the other essays (as true to his thinking) shortly before his death in 1961.

The Jungian approach integrates the unconscious and the conscious so that individuals can be whole, which generally involves tapping into our psychic center that is distinct from our conscious ego. Civilization's focus on the ego and denial or ignorance of the unconscious results in all sorts of psychological healt
Lyla Rose

I am still reading this one. I'm a slow reader when it comes to non-fiction but this book is absolutely RIVETING. I had no idea that psychology could feel so... supernatural.

** ** ***

My copy is a very old, tiny and densely printed copy I got for free from a psychology library in San Francisco that was moving to a new location and clearing out the stacks. I taped together the spine where it was started to fall apart. I'm still only about 100 pages in but it is UNBELIEVABLY fascinating and I can't
Kevin Fuller
A symbol, Jung explains, is a word, picture, photograph, statue, etc. that always signifies something much larger than what we immediately know, and therefore points to the unconscious.

In this book, Jung first introduces us (the lay public) to the unconscious and it's machinations that can be found in personal ticks, social characteristics, dreams and fantasies. The unconscious can manifest personally in the complex, those group of personal characteristics we acquire through private experience,
Natacha P
This was my first book on Jung and it had me hooked. The introduction states that this book was written with the simple, typical reader in mind—which makes this particular volume easy to read. I’m definitely keen on wanting to read more of Jung’s work now, however I’ve heard that his writing can be very difficult to process due to advanced language and/or abstract concepts. I can only hope that it won’t be anything too strenuous once I get there!
Given that I’ve been interested in the study of dr
TarasProkopyuk
Данная книга это попытка Юнга и его коллег остановить человека в его бегстве от мира малопонятного, загадочного, а также чарующего к миру рационального, логичного, правильного и материального.

В книге приведено множество аргументов для того чтобы переубедит людей в том, что тенденции последних столетий как будто заставили человечество замкнутся в малом, и довольствоваться ограниченными возможностями. И в большинстве только гениям, художникам, писателям, дизайнерам и поистине творческим людям изве
Philippe Malzieu
Sigmund or Gustav? Gustav of course. If I had to do analysis, I choose jung psychanalysis. Sigmund brought back all to sexuality, Gustav spoke to him about the desire in all his forms. At the end of his life, he widened his work by studying mythologies and the religions. He highlights the relations between religions and culture. Why do the Europeans converted with the boudhism have a Christic vision of Bouddha? I find that his work of end-of-life approaches those of Mircéa Eliade.
It is a book ri
Amber
Jung's theories of psychology have always fascinated me. The idea of archetypes and the collective unconscious make perfect sense to me, though I imagine that anyone who has been devouring stories longer than she's been devouring solid food will find it natural to have them applied to the human mind. Living stories is part of what makes the urge to write and read and tell stories so powerful.

It doesn't hurt that there was a psychoanalytical section in my literary criticism class and that Jung w
Jernej
The first chapter, written by C.G. Jung himself is wonderful. The other chapters quickly become repetitive and redundant, with too many examples and too little clarification, completely confusing you by the end of the first half of the book. The ending is however quite interesting.
I give this 3/5 stars, cause it's really just an introductory book into the world of Jung's psychoanalysis, so I guess it accomplishes this pretty well, but I had my hopes higher when I decided to read it.
I should also
Steven Fogel
Jung wrote it near the end of his life to describe his work to laypeople. One of Jung's major contributions to our understanding of our consciousness is the importance of dreams. In Man and His Symbols, he writes about what he learned about his own dreams and what he learned about dreams in other cultures. As part of his research, he studied societies that were still untouched by Western civilization, and he discovered that certain dreams and stories are common to all of the societies.
Alex
Thinly disguised Christian rubbish. Shockingly irrational at times; of course, Jung can get away with any unfounded cognitive leaps because in the text he emphasizes spontaneity over reason. Does such a sentiment unconsciously hide his own difficulties in creating a well-structured, coherent argument? Or am I being too Freudian?
Stanislav Sokolenko
While I can appreciate some of the discussion on the importance of the unconscious and its evolutionary ramifications, this book was of little redeeming value. My biggest problem was its heavy use of anecdotal 'evidence.' Throughout the book, the authors were able to draw convenient examples to illustrate their points from a variety of sources, but never considered the myriad of other interpretations that are possible. At the end of the book, I was no more convinced of the majority of their poin ...more
Fretty
Oct 09, 2007 Fretty rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: psychologysessay
I read this because I was doing a thesis about the relation between Dreams and Architecture. In my thesis I talked more on the psychology being of an architect and the reason of an architect design such a shape and space. It is needed for me to know the space within the soul of an architect. And this book helped me to see that.

For me, Jung taught me to see another different view of a person from this book. Why man acts the way a man act, and how a man could symbolizes their hidden spirit into s
Mel
The thing I enjoyed the most about this book was the fact that it had so many interesting images with equally interesting blurbs explaining how they fit in with the various articles and theories that were being written about. The images were beautiful and they enhanced my enjoyment of the book a great deal. As far as the articles go, some were better than others but all were worth reading except for maybe the last section which was an analysis of a certain individual that I really did not care a ...more
David Fleming
MAN AND HIS SYMBOLS

This ranks as one of the most interesting nonfiction books I've read. Jung's theories and capabilities to generalize across cultures and through time are nothing short of astounding.

Much of this information is so dense that it gave me the feeling of learning something and being influenced without being able to list out general principles.

The illustrations throughout help to strengthen the variety of arguements which are developed and the through-line of counterpoint with Fre
Mitra Cline
Life changing!
Kylewong
Martti
Carl Gustav Jung (1875-1961) was a Swiss psychologist and one of the founders of analytic psychology. "Man and His Symbols" is Jung's legacy where he presents his life-work in psychology and his key messages to the general public. The book was completed the same month when Jung died in 1961 at the age of 85 years.

To my understanding Jung seems to be disappointed to the modern, civilized man who has turned a blind eye to religion, to unconsciousness and to psychic powers. Jung argues that when sc
kate
A collection of essays by Jung, and assorted other jungian psychologists, that includes paintings, sculptures, archeological photos.

This is a great way to see jung's ideas about symbols and their power in the human collective unconscious, both within cultures and across cultures, in a concrete way. which is great if you are not a visual, creative person, this will provide a frame of reference, for you.

Very interesting read.

Mark
Mind blowing, informative and suggestive. My life was literally changed in all sorts of good ways by this read. Especially the dream analysis alongside synchronicity theory and the I Ching. I remember reading in one of the chapters about an society that worships the female posterior. What a fantastic parallel to the modern age.
Bryan R
This book is in what I would call my "Pillar" shelf. It's a great work of Jungian insight into the psyche, the unconscious and the way it uses dreams to communicate. I can't recommend the book enough. I've highlighted this thing on nearly every page and I know it will be a title I return to for the rest of my life.
Jiri
Jung and his disciples call it the uncoscious, or Self, some people call it God, Obi-Wan Kenobi called it the Force. It seems to be the same thing, a part of our ancient make-up and something to be in touch with, again, especially in these hard times. Listen to your dreams and guts.
Jennifer Lyn
I've tried to read a few of books written directly from Jung, but they were far too dry. This one has kept me very engaged and wanting to learn more. It's something in the way he presents the archetypes here that makes it fascinating and I felt he explains it very well in this text.
Matt
I have read this book a multitude of times. I reccomend this book to everyone. This is Jung's basic theories distilled in a non clinical manner. It is a lot easier to read than the Collective Unconcious. I bought a second copy since my first was full tattered and worn.
Khalil James
The summation of half a century of study of dreams and symbols, says Jung, written for a general audience. Psychoanalysis has to be one of the most interesting fields of study ever conceived - Although originally popularised by Freud, in this book, Jung impresses as the Ponce de Leon of the unconscious. That would mess anybody up. Jung, a prolific writer, sounds modest and yet almost omniscient in this text.

I want to be skeptical of his...his...mysticism but I'm too afraid of the merciless psyc
Goodreads Feedback: This topic has been closed to new comments. Incorrect publication date 3 43 Jun 29, 2014 10:59AM
  • Alchemy: An Introduction to the Symbolism and the Psychology (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 5)
  • Ego and Archetype: Individuation and the Religious Function of the Psyche
  • Owning Your Own Shadow: Understanding the Dark Side of the Psyche
  • Myths to Live By
  • The Great Mother: An Analysis of the Archetype (Bollingen)
  • The Divided Self: An Existential Study in Sanity and Madness
  • The Book of Symbols: Reflections on Archetypal Images
  • The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness
  • The Individual Psychology of Alfred Adler
  • Three Case Histories
Carl Gustav Jung (/jʊŋ/; German: [ˈkarl ˈɡʊstaf jʊŋ]; 26 July 1875 – 6 June 1961), often referred to as C. G. Jung, was a Swiss psychiatrist and psychotherapist who founded analytical psychology. Jung proposed and developed the concepts of extraversion and introversion; archetypes, and the collective unconscious. His work has been influential in psychiatry and in the study of religion, philosophy, ...more
More about C.G. Jung...
Memories, Dreams, Reflections The Undiscovered Self Modern Man in Search of a Soul The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious (Collected Works 9i) The Portable Jung

“The girl dreams she is dangerously ill. Suddenly birds come out of her skin and cover her completely ... Swarms of gnats obscure the sun, the moon, and all the stars except one. That one start falls upon the dreamer.” 51 likes
“Life is a battleground. It always has been, and always will be; and if it were not so, existence would come to an end.” 13 likes