Midnight Sweatlodge

Midnight Sweatlodge

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Midnight Sweatlodge tells the tale of family members, friends and strangers who gather together to partake in this ancient healing ceremony. Each person seeks traditional wisdom and insight to overcome pain and hardship, and the characters give us glimpses into their lives that are both tearful and true. Rice captures the raw emotion and unique challenges of modern Aborigi...more
Published June 23rd 2011 by Theytus Books

Pooker
I like to read native fiction. I usually find it challenging; I'm always grappling with that trickster dude. I have this idea that when I figure out the role this character plays, the better I will understand native culture and spirituality.

Well having read all 85 pages of this book, I didn't notice any trickster. Oh he might have been in there, but I didn't notice if he was. I was blindsided by the truth.

That is not to say that the book was lacking in spirituality and native culture. We are in...more
Daniel Perry
Waubgeshig Rice does more in these 96 pages (third edition, 2012) than I've seen some writers do over a thousand. Hard-hitting work rooted in reality, with only the right details included in the crisp language of the four short stories, all told at the titular venue. The stories lay plain the dichotomy of the modern world and native traditions and starkly show the challenges this presents, particularly the hardship of Reserve life. The book isn't without missteps - the fourth story, "Aasinaabe,"...more
Ann Doyon
Aug 18, 2011 Ann Doyon rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Young adults
Reading Waubgeshig Rice’s Midnight Sweatlodge makes you feel as though you’ve been punched in the gut. The story of a young man’s suicide and the loss of his spirit is hard to accept; you want him to live to fulfill his brilliant potential. Rice has created possibly the most unflinchingly realistic portrayal of Aboriginal life in Canada ever written. He captures the loss and rebirth of tradition with beguiling, subtle nuances. Midnight Sweatlodge is the inaugural work of a writer to watch.
Jeffrey
A small book that packs an enormous punch - four linked stories that thrust us headfirst into the world of a First Nations community and connected through the experience that the characters have in participating in a "midnight sweatlodge" - held at midnight because of the interference of the white outsider communities that impact on the culture, traditions and day-to-day lives of First Nations peoples - poignant, profound and poetic - I hope we see more fiction from Waubgeshig Rice!
John
A short way into Waubgeshig Rice’s Midnight Sweatlodge I said to myself “This little book is a gem!” but now that I’ve finished reading and rereading it I say loudly “This big, grand book is deceptive in it’s tininess and it is not a single gem but a glistening, sparkling, icy string of brutally sharp-edged diamonds. . . .

I say more about Midnight Sweatlodge here: http://behindthehedge.wordpress.com/2...
Joanne
An intimate glimpse at personal and community pain, and a wonderful exploration of the healing power of story-telling. Non-aboriginal readers have much to learn from this "sweatlodge" process. This tiny but beautifully written book packs a lot in!
Angela
Moving, thought provoking.
Siobhan Senier
Siobhan Senier marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Shawn
Shawn marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Clay Scheller
Clay Scheller marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Jaclyn
Jaclyn marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Dawna Perry
Dawna Perry marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
Liz Windhorst Harmer
Liz Windhorst Harmer marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
Zoli
Zoli marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2013
Lenora Poulin
Lenora Poulin marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2013
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013
Vesna Madjaric
Vesna Madjaric marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2013
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2013
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2013