Start by marking “Lost Face” as Want to Read:
Lost Face

Lost Face

Lost Face is a collection of seven short stories by Jack London. It takes its named from the first short story in the book, about a European adventurer in the Yukon who outwits his Indian captors' plans to torture him. This collection includes London's best-known short story, To Build a Fire. It tells the story of a new traveler in the Klondike who ignores warnings about t ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1910)

To ask other readers questions about Lost Face, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost Face

Justyn Simon
Sep 22, 2013 Justyn Simon rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people that like books with dogs in them
Shelves: adventure, dog, classics
Story 1: Lost face is a gruesome tale about this guy, a fur thief who claimed to have some medicine that makes skin stone hard, unfourtanly for the Indian who had to try to cut his head off was successful and so his name was changed to lost face for beheading someone

Story 2: Trust involves a man named Churchill who has an adventure near Crater Lake

Story 3: To Build a fire is a story from the viewpoint of someone who didn't cover himself for the cold properly, and the outcome from that.

Story 4:
Andree Sanborn
Dec 21, 2014 Andree Sanborn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was motivated to re-read "To Build a Fire" by Bernd Heinrich in Winter World. After I read Call of the Wild in high school, I vowed to never read Jack London again. I am glad I did. What a writer! His prose instantly puts me in the Northwest Territories or Alaska. I can feel and smell the cold. London is a very powerful author.

Besides "To Build a Fire", I think my favorite story of these seven stories is "That Spot," which reminded me so much of O. Henry's "Ransom of Red Chief." But don't thin
Lost Face is a collection that was first published in 1910 and includes London's best know story, "To Build a Fire". Lost Face begins with the story of the same name, which starts with a real bang - its exciting and I like London's writing style. He conveys the desperation and urgency of a situation really well. However, I thought that the ending was quite a letdown - I don't think it has aged well. Overall I felt let down by most of the stories in the collection, with the exception of "To Build ...more
Jonathan
Mar 19, 2013 Jonathan rated it really liked it
The only thing that stops me from giving this collection of stories five stars is that it isn't a gripping read. The stories are, however, all beautifully crafted. London's voice elicits trust- there wasn't a moment during any story that I didn't believe London's knowledge of the content. All the characters seemed like real characters, or at least characters that were based on real people.

My favourite story in the bunch has to do with a man chasing a fellow all the way down the rivers of the Yuk
Viktor Malafey
Aug 20, 2012 Viktor Malafey rated it it was amazing
Шедевр!
Так коротко, але так насичено і ємнісно. Це один з найкращих коротеньких творів, що я коли-небудь читав. Не пожалкуйте, виділить 10 хвилин, щоб отримати естетичну насолоду від прочитаного ;)
По цьому оповіданню можна було б зняти бомбовий короткометражний фільм, він би 100% взяв би золоту пальмову гілочку :)
Sandy
Jul 12, 2012 Sandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
To Build a Fire is not only the best short story in this collection, it is London's best. The other stories are also worth a gander.
Diana
Aug 06, 2013 Diana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-the-book
Oh my - I just picked this book up from my collection and my copy is a reprint from September 1913! In one month it will be 100 years old. I may have to have a birthday party for it - 8/5/13
Kenneth Flusche
Jul 11, 2016 Kenneth Flusche rated it it was amazing
Some good short Alaska stories, I have not read this particular book since I was 12 it was printed and purchased by my local library in 1915 and is still a good read. It will make you think.....
Sergey Barsamyan
Mar 17, 2012 Sergey Barsamyan rated it liked it
Very nice collection of London's Alaska-related short stories - sometimes humorous, sometime bitter, sometime both of'em. Reminds a bit of O'Henry's stories.
Harry Martin
Apr 06, 2011 Harry Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From The Excellent Collection of Jack London's. This story is told by none other than the master story teller Jack London.
Hope Phelps
Hope Phelps rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2013
David Taylor
David Taylor rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2014
Charlie
Charlie rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2011
Fabien
Fabien rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2013
Stu
Stu rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2013
Huapeng Qi
Huapeng Qi rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2013
Alec Jerrems.com
Alec Jerrems.com rated it it was ok
Nov 17, 2015
'jeri
'jeri rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2016
Vladislav Tzvetanov
Vladislav Tzvetanov rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2014
Kerem Cirakman
Kerem Cirakman rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2012
M
M rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2012
Mihai Criveti
Oct 31, 2014 Mihai Criveti rated it really liked it
Lost and found and lost again...
Mathieu Riopel
Mathieu Riopel rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2014
Michal Martinů
Michal Martinů rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2013
Danielle Vaudrin
Danielle Vaudrin rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2012
Elzakun
Elzakun rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2011
Joseph
Joseph rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2011
Charles Chambers
Charles Chambers rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Carol
Carol rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Tarzan Series (Tarzan, #1-8)
  • The Holy Bible - American Standard Version (ASV)
  • D'ARTAGNAN ROMANCES: The Three Musketeers, Twenty Years After, The Vicomte de Bragelonne, Ten Years Later, Louise de la Valliere, The Man in the Iron Mask (FLT Classics Series)
  • Jane Eyre, Shirley, Villette & The Professor
  • The Poison Belt (Professor Challenger, #2)
  • Nightshade & Damnations
  • She and Allan
  • 41 Stories
  • The Crimson Fairy Book
  • Tales of Soldiers and Civilians
  • The Storm (Dogs of the Drowned City, #1)
Jack London was an American novelist, journalist, social-activist and short-story writer whose works deal romantically with elemental struggles for survival. At his peak, he was the highest paid and the most popular of all living writers. Because of early financial difficulties, he was largely self educated past grammar school.

London drew heavily on his life experiences in his writing. He spent ti
More about Jack London...