Start by marking “Blood Rock (Skindancer, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blood Rock (Skindancer, #2)

Blood Rock (Skindancer #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  726 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
"Addictive, sassy, sexy, funny, intense, brilliant." Praise from Bitten By Books for FROST MOON, Book One in the Skindancer series.
Book Two in the Skindancer series.
Dakota Frost is back, and the ink is about to hit the fan-again.
Graffiti comes to life in the dark heart of Atlanta's oldest cemetery, slaying one of the city's best loved vampires before the eyes of his fri
Published July 29th 2011 by Bell Bridge Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Rock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Rock

AH
Oh, Dakota! How you’ve changed for the better! When we last left our tattooed, 6 foot tall, death-hawked, skin dancing heroine, she was adjusting to her newly adopted were-tiger daughter, Cinnamon. Motherhood has agreed with Dakota and I loved to see her in some sort of domestic bliss for a few moments.

Blood Rock is a cool book. First of all, the world building is fantastic. This is the Edgeworld of Atlanta, a place where practitioners of magic, were, vampires, witches, and the like congregate.
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
Returning to this series was so easy. It only took a couple pages before I fully reconnected with the characters. They are so strong and unique that it is easy to remember even the little details about them.

I have a slight rant I have to get out of the way right off the bat. But I will try to keep in spoiler free... The person who dies? WHAT?! NO!!! It's cruel. Take it back! *sob* Okay, rant over.

I loved seeing Dakota in her new role as a mom. She makes such a strong protective figure that it is
new_user
Law & Order meets tattoos and a turtle. That describes Blood Rock's character, speed, and style. Anthony Francis' second Skindancer novel follows Dakota Frost, magical tattoo artist as she adjusts to motherhood, recovers from trauma after Frost Moon , and tries to stop a homicidal graffiti artist from offing any more of her friends.

Magical tattoos and graffiti, vest coats, hair dye, and a little B&D-- Francis visualizes a fresh, colorful Atlanta subculture, the "Edgeworld," and he doesn
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Having just finished Frost Moon I was happy to start Blood Rock on it's heels, which picks up the story just a few weeks later.
Blood Rock throws Dakota straight into a new magical crisis. This is a fast paced, action packed story that has Dakota frantically juggling murderous wall murals, a rebellious daughter, a pissed off Vampire Queen, a vampire lover, the Atlanta PD and her eccentric skindancer master.
Graffiti tags all over Atlanta are coming alive, trapping unwary humans, weres, and vampir
Katy
Jan 29, 2013 Katy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of urban fantasy, magical reality
Recommended to Katy by: NetGalley
Shelves: ebook, net-galley
Please note: I first read this in January 2012. I'm adding formatting and the disclosure that I received an e-galley from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

My synopsis: In this sequel to “Frost Moon,” Dakota Frost now has Cinnamon living with her. As the story opens, they are trying to find a school that can handle Cinnamon – a “compulsory” weretiger (which means she cannot pass as human) who has never attended school and will need to start basically from scratch – when Dakota receives
Cathy
I was worried if I'd be able to get into it because it had been years since I read the first book (my library never got this one and it was a long time before I was able to get it) but I didn't have a problem. I didn't remember much of the first book, but I was reminded of enough of the important factors to easily get into this one. What I do remember is that as much as I liked it, it was a little scattered. I think this one was better, more focused, the writing more mature.
Karissa
This is the second book in the Dakota Frost series by Francis. It was an okay book, but there are definitely some flaws throughout the story. The third book in the series, Liquid Fire, was just released in May 2015.

I listened to this on audiobook and the narrator does a decent job. She does a good job with emotion and does okay with unique character voices. However there are a couple of male characters that sound very similar and are hard to distinguish between.

In this book Dakota is trying to t
Brittany
This is the second in the Skindancer series. I have to say I was very excited to read this and had such high hopes but they were dashed upon some wordy rocks. This book was way to detailed and it was exhausting to read and follow all of the MANY aspects to the plot. I felt there were quite a few things that could have been omitted and made the book flow better, not seem so bogged down with side plots. One BIG part of the book that could have been deleted was the whole custody issue with Cinnamon ...more
Jaime
May 26, 2012 Jaime rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darcy
I love the world that this series is set in, I especially love the aspect of skindancing. It makes me wish that I could get a magical tattoo.

My favorite aspect of this book was the scenes between Dakota and Cinnamon. At times things we very awkward between the two of them, but hat is to be expected when you throw together 2 people that have only known each other a short time as a family. The way they both handled the mundane aspects of life, like finding a school, talking about punishment, and b
Tracy
Oct 18, 2011 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
~* 3.5 Stars *~
Just a Little Too Much

Dakota Frost may be the best magical tattooist in the Southeast (and she is - just ask her), but turns out that doesn't amount to much when you're struggling to get your kid into school. Sure, parents do that sort of thing all the time, but not many of their children have the same sort of special needs. Special needs befitting a weretiger with a full body tattoo, tail, and ears...and a mouth on her that would make a sailor on leave blush. And Dakota may be fa
Bambi Unbridled
Writing a review for this book is going to be hard. After reading about the author, I think its because our brains just work differently. Granted, I have a doctoral degree... but once a book starts talking quantum theory, physics and advanced math, my brain starts tuning everything out. But I have to respect the author's intelligence and how he writes what he knows into the books. :)

That being said, I love the world Anthony Francis has created in Atlanta. And I adore the skindancing. It is somet
Pither
Dec 14, 2011 Pither rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: galleys
I was eager to start the second in the Skindancer series, as I really enjoyed the first one, Frost Moon. Dakota is a great protagonist, sharp and intriguing and well-written. I also wanted to see where Francis would take Cinnamon, Dakota's newly-adopted werecat daughter.

Blood Rock follows Dakota Frost, tattoo artists and magical skindancer, and her wide variety of friends through an alternate Atlanta. This time the city is beset by magical graffiti, and she's tasks with cleaning it up and the ma
melissa
Feb 23, 2016 melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was painful. I don't remember the first book being this chaotic. I'm more a fan of paranormal romance than urban fantasy, so , yeah, one particular scene in this one had me cursing a bit. It really seemed like this was all over the place and all I could hear was Dennis Hopper's character from True Romance saying "Slow it down, man". Hoping book 3 is a bit easier to digest, but giving myself a breather after this one.
KK
Feb 11, 2016 KK rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was great. It has a different feel than many urban fantasy stories. Datoka is a magical tattoo artist. In this story, they are fighting something that noone has ever seen before. Magical Graffiti that is killing people all over the city. It is fast paced, interesting, gritty and fun. This book gets 4 stars instead of 5 because I felt like it got bogged down in technical descriptions in several places.
Rosalind M
Sep 09, 2011 Rosalind M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
BLOOD ROCK has reawakened my faith in good writers and good writing. BLOOD ROCK lacks the shortcomings in pacing, formatting, and story structure that have often made ebook reading such a disappointing experience for me. When you read about Dakota, you get wholly sucked in to this alternate world. You care about her because she's a multi-dimensional character who grows a bit more in each storyline. The story itself has momentum and unfolds in a way that lets you see all of the puzzle pieces star ...more
Sharon
Jul 27, 2015 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Anthony Francis writes some of the most unique urban fantasy I have ever had the pleasure to read. The Atlanta, GA, of his Dakota Frost books features an Edgeworld where vampires, werekin, and more live in an often uneasy truce, with magical tattoo artist Dakota Frost moving among them ... as well as the human world.

This book opens with a magical piece of graffiti literally tearing a vampire apart at sunrise. Dakota is called to the scene by her uncle, police Detective Andre Rand, because he thi
Ashley
May 14, 2014 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this novel. I haven't read the first installment, but I am definitely going to have to change that. Anthony Francis has a way to bring us closer to a very unlikely heroine- to be honest, the whole book has a Girl with the Dragon Tattoo feel to it, and make us love her. Dakota Frost is not your typical pretty girl heroine- she has a blue mohawk, she is covered in tattoos, and she dresses like a biker. As soon as I saw that, I knew I had to continue on with this book.

One of my favorite cha
Elisa
Dec 28, 2015 Elisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a bit different paranormal series following a skindancer, through magic, she can make her tattoos come to life. There are lots of politics, human and paranormal divisions, but there are tons of twists, people get hurt, Francis is not nice to his characters and it is a rollercoast ride of a plot.
Just lots of fun but violent and edgy. Read them in order, the multiple characters get a bit confusing and the hits keep coming.
Dakota kicks butt and rolls with the punches. Recommended for parano
Valerie
Jul 24, 2015 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic follow up to Frost Moon. So often the second book of a series can be a let down. No worries, here. This was a definite page-turner, one of those books that had me up way past my bed time because I could not put it down. I finished the entire book, alternating audio and Kindle using Whispersync, in a single day.

One of things that I really loved about this book was that Francis lets his main character evolve. The evolution was realistic, too. Did Dakota still get ahead of her
Anita
I really liked the first book in this urban fantasy series, and I loved this one. My only complaint is that I have to wait until next year to read the third. I love the idea that the tattoos with magic in them can actually come off the skin and do things (with the proper magical direction.) I love the details about the weres and vampires, and the level-headed way the main character defuses difficult interpersonal exchanges. I like the believability of character motivation, and that bad guys aren ...more
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Read This Review & More Like It On My Blog!

Picking up in the same narrative and stylistic vein of its predecessor Frost Moon, Blood Rock is an action-packed if somewhat overwrought adventure following the one and only Dakota Frost of Atlanta, Georgia. Once again running around her turf of Little Five Points, Dakota is exposed to brand-new, and admittedly, cool magic: animated, violent graffiti tags have been popping up all over the city. . . and killing humans, weres, and vampires alike. Onc
Joe Young
Sep 05, 2011 Joe Young rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was my introduction to the "Skindancer" Series and the author, "Anthony Francis". I found the descriptions of the characters, the environments, the actions and the interplay between them all to be involving, inventive and complementary to the pleasure of reading this delicious story. I was captured once I opened the title page and started reading. I would have finished it in one sitting but, my wife insisted that I come to bed about midnight of the first day and I had to wait until thi ...more
May 18, 2012 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Blood Rock is the second in a series of urban fantasies by Anthony Francis featuring Dakota Frost. This time around, Dakota must face a killer who is using magical graffiti to reach out and kill seemingly in much the same way she uses her tattoos for offense and defense. With graffiti popping up all over Atlanta, deaths occurring, and friends affected, Dakota worries - will Cinnamon be next?

I gave Blood Rock 3.5 stars. Overall it is a good book. My basic complaint was with how much or little emo
Stacy
Sep 08, 2011 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
reviewed by http://urbanfantasyinvestigations.blo...

I absolutely LOVE the covers of both books in the Skindancer series. I have said many times before that I have to like a cover to pick up a book (I know, I know don't judge a book by its cover and all that I just cant help it) and both covers grabbed me with one glance. Dakota Frost isn't your typical girl. She has a death hawk, she wears a lot of leather, has magical tattoos covering most of her body and isn't afraid to tell it like it is. Dak
Dianne
Dec 19, 2011 Dianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blood Rock - Francis, Anthony

With this second Dakota Frost book, we find that Dakota is facing multiple enemies or so it seems. So much happens in this book that is is nearly too much for the average brain to process.

Dakota is facing graffiti that is coming alive and killing vamps and weres and also just plain humans. Dakota has here adopted daughter taken away from her. She loses her new lover because of the graffiti. The Genty is after her and she ends up with a new position on the Council.

T
Niina
Sep 30, 2011 Niina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this was a quick read! Fast moving, quirky and so much fun to read - this book can definitely be a stand-alone one. I read "Frost Moon" few weeks ago, but I can say it's not necessarily to read it beforehand if you don't want to. And look at the Cover - I love it! Sets the mood so well for the book!

I still love seeing Dakota handle Cinnamon, it's probably my favorite relationship throughout the two books. Her "becoming" a mother for self-proclaimed were-tigger is so much fun to read!

Don't g
Sheila
Nov 03, 2011 Sheila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dakota Frost is back in the second installment of the Skindancer trilogy, an urban fantasy series from highly-acclaimed science fiction author Anthony Francis...
...In Dakota's world, magic, which was kept a secret by its practitioners until the counter-culture movement of the 20th century, is very real. And Dakota knows it well—as a “skindancer,” a tattoo artist whose ink can come to life, and a member of the Edgeworld, the alternative culture in which magic is known and practiced, she holds to
Lori {Romancing the Dark Side}
Original Romancing the Darkside Review:

The second installment of The Skindancer trilogy wastes no time in jumping right into the action. This time around Dakota is dealing with magical graffiti killing supernaturals and humans. The investigation turns personal when a vampire friend falls victim to the magical graffiti and is killed before Dakota can save him. If that wasn't enough, she also has the new role of mom to Cinnamon, the weretiger she took under
Crystal
ISBN: 9781611940138
Bell Bridge Books
Trade Paperback
Urban Fantasy

Dakota Frost, the best magical tattooist in the Southeast, is back with her second adventure. This time out, she and Cinnamon, her soon-to-be-adopted, were-tiger daughter are trying to settle into a new life together. Their hunt for a new school for Cinnamon is interrupted when Dakota answers a call for help and discovers a new dark magic is spinning treachery into magi
Urban Fantasy Afi...: June's BOM Blood Rock 12 26 Jun 23, 2013 03:34PM
  • Twice Dead (Haven, #2)
  • Indulgent (Eternal Pleasure, #3)
  • Black Heart Loa (Hoodoo, #2)
  • Perilous Partnership (Partnership in Blood Spin-Off #1)
  • Hot Blooded (Jessica McClain, #2)
  • ReVamped (Void City, #2)
  • Fang Me (Demon Underground, #3)
  • Battle of the Network Zombies (Amanda Feral, #3)
  • Long Live the Queen (The Immortal Empire, #3)
  • Hellforged (Deadtown, #2)
  • Infernal Affairs (OSI #4)
  • Deceiving the Protector (Resurrection, #2)
  • Wayfinder (Worldwalker Duology, #2)
  • The Branding
  • Pagan
  • Stripped
  • Hunted by the Others (H&W Investigations, #1)
  • UnCONventional
Dr. Anthony G. Francis, Jr. is a science fiction writer and computer scientist who started writing urban fantasy because he likes it. The Dakota Frost series combines Anthony's love of hard science, fantastic magic, alternative culture, and strong, feisty women.

Even though the siren call of computing eventually pulled him out to the San Francisco Bay Area, he still chose to set the Dakota Frost s
More about Anthony Francis...

Skindancer (4 books)
  • Frost Moon (Skindancer, #1)
  • Liquid Fire (Skindancer, #3)
  • Spectral Iron (Skindancer, #4)