Start by marking “Searching for and Maintaining Peace: A Small Treatise on Peace of Heart” as Want to Read:
Searching for and Maintaining Peace: A Small Treatise on Peace of Heart

Searching for and Maintaining Peace: A Small Treatise on Peace of Heart

4.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  566 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
This classic work is a short treatise on peace of heart in a world where restlessness and anxiety too often take the place of the confidence and peace which ought to be ours.
Published January 1st 2002 by Saint Pauls/Alba House (first published April 18th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Searching for and Maintaining Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Searching for and Maintaining Peace

Mark
Dec 31, 2014 Mark rated it it was amazing
Shelves: catholic
It is really interesting to see how God works. I have been a Catholic actively trying to live my faith for more than two decades. This book has helped me more profoundly than any book I've read in the last ten years.

What is a mystery to me is why the message of this book has not sunk into me sooner than it did. It is not as though it is presenting something that is new or alien to the Gospel. But it must have taken all this time for me to get to a point where I could hear and receive it.

The tit
Ethan
Jan 25, 2014 Ethan rated it really liked it
If this book sticks with me for a while, I'll come back and give it five stars. I took my time with it, as it's only 110 pages. This book presumes a solid foundation of Christian Faith, which is probably why it's so short. Books on achieving inner peace can probably fill whole libraries, and as long as they keep ignoring the truths in this skinny little book (and they will), there will always be more. The proposition is simple, Christ came to give us peace. The catch is that Christ can't do much ...more
♥ Ibrahim ♥
Oct 02, 2008 ♥ Ibrahim ♥ rated it it was amazing
One thing that I like about this book is its constant reference to the Bible. It reminds us again of the spiritual warfare that is ours and which battles to choose and which battles are placed in our way by the devil to drain our resources and sap our energy and divert us from the main battle that the Lord promises us certain victory in. We have to fight on the real battlefield and by God's grace we are certain of victory.

The first goal of spiritual combat is not to always obtain a victory (over
booklady
Sep 15, 2008 booklady rated it it was amazing
Recommended to booklady by: Mary Alice
Apart from Me, you can do nothing, Jesus said (John 15:5).

The best gifts come in small packages; the same thing can often be said about books. Searching for and Maintaining Peace is a powerhouse of a tiny book which packs incredible wisdom into its slim size and mere 110 pages. And yet I have a feeling that if I were to read this classic once @ month for the rest of my life and attempt to live its principals, I probably would not succeed; even so, I shall try.

I'm not sure if I've ever heard Peac
Mary Alice
Jul 30, 2008 Mary Alice rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Homeschoolmama, Booklady, Carole, schoolmeadow
Shelves: religion, non-fiction
For anyone who tends to let worrying get the better of them at times, this book is a helpful tool to combat that little pesty worry demon. :)
Jess
Dec 07, 2007 Jess is currently reading it
For such a small book, it really manages to pack in the material! I may be digesting this one for some time to come!
Joe Kolf
Jan 27, 2010 Joe Kolf rated it it was amazing
If the title makes you think, "No way, that's too good to be true," then read this book. It's that good.
Aaron
May 26, 2016 Aaron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
This short book is packed with insightful practical guidance in living with our hearts full of peace.

Some quotes;

The more our soul is peaceful and tranquil, the more God is reflected in it

The devil does his best to banish peace from one's heart

Learn to be at peace of heart under all circumstances, even in the case of defeat

You made us for Yourself, O Lord, and our hearts are restless until they rest in You (St Augustine)

God does not permit unnecessary suffering

My thoughts are not your thoughts.
Jill
Jul 05, 2014 Jill rated it it was amazing
For me, the constant noise of this world, noisy clamoring voices, a thousand opinions on everything and everyone, of course, is "right," busy-ness, programs, and then the disappointments we feel about ourselves and others and the sorrows in our own and others' lives, all of which we know about because we're so plugged in to the whole world - it all makes an interior peace nearly impossible to keep. This little book has such a brilliant perspective and though I've just finished it, I'm going to r ...more
Tara
Oct 15, 2012 Tara rated it really liked it
Just what the doctor ordered. Even though the information in the book isn't new, for some reason it finally stuck.
While I don't think I am miraculously free from strife, this book can help reel me in from being scrupulous. For years I have tortured myself that I wasn't "great". What is my role in this world as a catholic wife/mother/etc. Why am I hidden away washing clothes and sweeping, why am I not more like St. Joan of Arc?
I'm at where I'm at because that's where I need to be.

Trust in God,
Veronica
Jun 04, 2015 Veronica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
A short and sweet description of what it means to totally abandon your soul to God.
Ryan
Nov 25, 2015 Ryan rated it it was amazing
Wonderful if you're looking for something to read for Advent, the season for peace, for silence, for waiting; excellent also for those who are beset by lots of stress (if you have several children, like I do, for instance!). Philippe's thesis is simple: the primary goal of our spiritual energies should be to maintain peace of heart, being confident in God and desiring always to do His will. In this way, we move peacefully, without agitation or strain, on towards perfection, not by our own work, ...more
Kate
Jul 01, 2014 Kate rated it it was amazing
Life-changing read. Philippe tackles tough spiritual topics but all in a conversational manner. I often find that spiritual books are either too full of fluff and platitudes or too rich or spiritually esoteric for a mom living with a dearth of sleep, but this book is an exception. It challenged me without frustrating me and gifted me with wisdom that I am to implement every day would lead me to a contented heart and more peaceful life.
Hayley Cooper
Jan 20, 2012 Hayley Cooper rated it really liked it
Beautifully written, good Biblical advice, and no-nonsense logic. I loved it and it was the kick in the pants I may have needed to remember God's good Grace to give us peace in times of hardship.
Ann Yeong
Apr 30, 2016 Ann Yeong rated it really liked it
Interior peace. Who doesn't want that? Yet how elusive interior peace is for many of us in our search for and pursuit of God. Fr Jacques Philippe's book is both illuminating and comforting. The book is in three parts. Part One is titled "Interior Peace, The Road to Saintliness" and elucidates clearly why it is that the loss of peace is often the crux of the spiritual battle and why Goodwill (a total and genuine desire to belong to God completely, no matter how imperfectly realised in the present ...more
Jeanette
Jul 12, 2011 Jeanette rated it it was amazing
This book is just excellent. Can't think of any scenario in which anyone would not benefit from reading it. I wish I had years ago!
J.T. Therrien
Jul 21, 2015 J.T. Therrien rated it it was amazing
This book doesn't crack my Top Five Essential Catholic Books to Read, but I would put it in sixth or seventh spot. This is the first book/treatise by Father Jacques Philippe that I've read, but I will be reading many more.

Searching for and Maintaining Peace is a book that does exactly what it says it will do. I enjoyed Fr. Philippe's straightforward commonsense, yet profoundly theological, style and approach to finding peace and maintaining it both in everyday life and in a Catholic context. Exp
Jrottinghaus
May 16, 2009 Jrottinghaus rated it it was amazing
awesome book. short, practical, gets to the heart of the matter quickly. everyone should read this book.
Nicole
Mar 21, 2011 Nicole rated it it was amazing
I never write in or mark up books. But this one has more dogears than anything I've ever read.
Sam
Feb 18, 2009 Sam rated it it was amazing
This is a great book!!! I love his writting style and his insight into human nature.
Patti
Sep 09, 2010 Patti rated it really liked it
Definitely a great companion to prayer, very simple yet extremely challenging.
Kate
Jul 07, 2010 Kate rated it it was amazing
Simple and practical advice on the spiritual life.
Heather
Aug 13, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it
Don't let the size of this book fool you into believing it's depth is only as great as its page count. Fr. Philippe writes with clarity and each statement is profound.
I also was greatly impressed and encouraged by how frequently Bible verses were incorporated directly into the writing. Rather than a mere reference, each verse flowed into the writing and completed the thoughts of Fr. Philippe, demonstrating his knowledge and reliance on Scripture.
Cris
Mar 08, 2014 Cris rated it it was amazing
Again, here is one of those books that gives practical common sense spiritual advice: how to listen to God and how to make decisions based on that relationship. What makes it so good is the simple, sureness of the man who writes the book. No squirmy, hard-to-pin-down advice. No nebulous, poetic tissue of nonsense. When several people in your life recommend a book at the same time, you know it comes from on high. At the heart of this book is the axiom that maintaining that inner peace is the basi ...more
Devonne West
Mar 31, 2015 Devonne West rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith, self-help
I'm not Catholic but this book packs a powerful punch. This is a book that I intend to read at least once a year. The words inspire and instruct on how to find and maintain peace in different scenarios. I'm telling you, if you have a tendency to feel anxious or fearful in certain situations, please, please read this book. May you find true peace from the Author of Life, the Prince of Peace.
Tim Cornell
Aug 02, 2014 Tim Cornell rated it it was amazing
I have never read a more powerful book. I continue, 8 years later, to reflect and try to live by points made in this book. One quote specifically, "All reasons that cause us to lose our sense of peace are bad reasons," and the discussion behind it, has done more for me than any other thought or discussion I've ever come across.
Michelle A
Feb 26, 2015 Michelle A rated it it was amazing
Fr Phillipe answers many of life's human fears with simple explanations of God's faithfulness. His credibility comes from his recognition of the many ways we are tempted to buckle under the weight if our own personal crosses.
Erika Marie
Jun 02, 2016 Erika Marie rated it really liked it
If you are looking for a simple devotional to bring more Peace into your soul, this is it. It's easy to read, simple, and really did help me find Peace. I'm still working the "maintaining" part though.
Kristi
May 01, 2016 Kristi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: god-stuff
Excellent book! Easy to read but not fluffy, very practical helps to understand and choose peace over anxiety/distrust. One of those short books that packs a big punch. I'm rereading it already.
alfredo draxl
Jan 28, 2016 alfredo draxl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sencillo y a la vez profundo.

Una lectura que nos pone de vuelta sobre la pista de una de las dimensiones fundamentales de la vida interior: la paz. Ella está en el comienzo de toda vida espiritual y es, a la vez, uno de sus frutos más preciosos. Con maestría el autor nos pone en el camino para cultivar esa paz que tanto necesitamos.
  • The Soul of The Apostolate
  • I Believe in Love: A Personal Retreat Based on the Teaching of St. Therese of Lisieux
  • The Fulfillment of All Desire: A Guidebook for the Journey to God Based on the Wisdom of the Saints
  • Surrender! The Life Changing Power of Doing God's Will
  • Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence: The Secret of Peace and Happiness
  • Uniformity with God's Will
  • This Tremendous Lover
  • The Secret Of The Rosary
  • Jesus of Nazareth, Part Two: Holy Week: From the Entrance into Jerusalem to the Resurrection
  • Abandonment to Divine Providence
  • 7 Secrets of the Eucharist
  • Navigating the Interior Life: Spiritual Direction and the Journey to God
  • The Reed of God
Jacques Philippe was born into a Christian family on March 12, 1947 in Lorraine, France. After studying mathematics in college, he spent several years teaching and doing scientific research. In 1976, he met the then recently-founded Community of the Beatitudes and answered the Lord’s call to follow Him through this vocation (see below for more information on the Community of the Beatitudes). He th ...more
More about Jacques Philippe...

“In order to resist fear and discouragement, it is necessary that through prayer - through a personal experience of God re-encountered, recognized and loved in prayer - we taste and see how good the Lord is (Psalm 34).” 11 likes
“«Se me han dado todos los bienes desde el momento en que ya no los he buscado».” 2 likes