Start by marking “Forgiveness And Other Acts Of Love” as Want to Read:
Forgiveness And Other Acts Of Love

Forgiveness And Other Acts Of Love

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  129 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
When beset by a series of life-changing personal crises, psychotherapist Stephanie Dowrick remembered what she had learned early in her training: there are qualities -- the great ancient virtues -- that shape life for the better and can be called upon in times of need. Dowrick grounds her work in real lives and incidents, drawing on those times when people needed the stren ...more
Paperback
Published March 1st 1998 by Women's Press (UK) (first published October 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Forgiveness And Other Acts Of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forgiveness And Other Acts Of Love

Velvetink
The author delves deeply into the six great humane virtues': courage, fidelity, restraint, generosity, tolerance and forgiveness.

It’s a hard confronting book. It can hurt and pain you. It’s uplifting and releases you. It’s not for the faint of heart and will if you are honest and true take you longer than you anticipated to get through. Unless you are skimming. Skimming it will not make a big impact upon you. The areas where she touches on God may deflect the atheist in you. You may throw it do
Charlie
May 28, 2012 Charlie rated it it was amazing
This book is like a Bible, I can open it anywhere, and read it again and again...and take new understanding from it every time.
(Thanks to Alice,since 2004!)
Drawing from her experience in Psychosynthesis*,there are chapters on the 'six great humane virtues': courage, fidelity, restraint, generosity, tolerance and forgiveness, animated with beautifully written stories from the author's life and the lives of friends, that can strike chords, enlighten and challenge me... a very compassionate read.

Ayesha
Dec 08, 2015 Ayesha rated it it was amazing
She was talking to me! It had sat in my room and on my bookshelf for years - I found it just at the right time.
It took me a couple of months to get through and was very confronting at times.
Brilliantly written and helped me think through and rethink my situation and feelings in a way that counselling hadn't quite done.
Saray Fitzhenry
Aug 15, 2014 Saray Fitzhenry rated it it was amazing
This book came into my life at a pivotal moment where I could've let all the negativity overwhelm me and take away the light that I carry in my heart.
I not only read but was open to understanding. I have recommended and shared my copy with many people in their time of need.
A must read.
Kathryn Hodgson
Oct 06, 2015 Kathryn Hodgson rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, inspiring words by Stephanie Dowrick. Her wisdom and insight never fail to uplift me! A must read for anyone interested in living a more loving and authentic existence.
Rachel Gregory
Dec 21, 2015 Rachel Gregory rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
More of a philosophical book. It is well written and describes the basic elements of the "acts of love" discussed.
Lyn Richards
Dec 22, 2014 Lyn Richards rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
Whilst I enjoyed the messages contained within this book, some of the sections and examples where extremely long. I listened to the audio version of this book to/from work and found myself arriving at work very serene and peaceful and a lot more accepting of situations that would have normally annoyed me.

I always feel that you read a book of this kind when you are supposed to drive a key message from it, and in that way I did.

Unlike other reviewers of this book I do not feel it is one I will rev
Rob Lutton
Feb 02, 2014 Rob Lutton rated it it was amazing
I am stunned at the depth & perspective of this book! Will reread I am sure & return to the wisdom within many times
Apr 14, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
I read this book quite a number of years ago now, at a time when I needed to end a friendship but felt bad about it. This book really helped me end the unhealthy friendship finally without feeling the guilt I had felt about it for a couple of years.
Rachel
Jun 09, 2012 Rachel rated it it was ok
This book contained interesting ideas and good deconstruction of core values to live by, but parts were unnecessarily verbose or complicated.
Tim
Mar 07, 2008 Tim rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tim by: Patti
this book gave me so much ; it was a journey of things I never even thought about let alone practised ; thank you Patti
Kris
Oct 21, 2011 Kris rated it it was amazing
This book helped me so much. I will definitely read more of her books.
Bethany
Jan 03, 2010 Bethany rated it really liked it
Great Book with terrific insight, loved it!
Muge
Muge rated it it was ok
Jun 23, 2016
maree dean
maree dean is currently reading it
Jun 17, 2016
Linden
Linden marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Shui Kay
Shui Kay marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Zoë
Zoë marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Julian Wood
Julian Wood rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2016
Scott Belling
Scott Belling rated it really liked it
May 13, 2016
Rochelle Calia
Rochelle Calia rated it really liked it
May 12, 2016
Eral Evren
Eral Evren rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Ireland Durante
Ireland Durante marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Lauren Palliser
Lauren Palliser is currently reading it
Apr 14, 2016
Alex Pincov
Alex Pincov marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Sídd Mamhotra
Sídd Mamhotra is currently reading it
Apr 05, 2016
Megan Bachman
Megan Bachman marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
  • GELUK - The World book of Happiness
  • Universal Traveler
  • Nature Cure
  • The Doctor and the Soul: From Psychotherapy to Logotherapy
  • ADHD - Living without Brakes
  • The Hidden Spirituality of Men: Ten Metaphors to Awaken the Sacred Masculine
  • Creative People Must Be Stopped: 6 Ways We Kill Innovation (Without Even Trying)
  • How Good Do We Have to Be?: A New Understanding of Guilt and Forgiveness
  • Soul Without Shame: A Guide to Liberating Yourself from the Judge Within
  • Taste Berries for Teens: Inspirational Short Stories and Encouragement on Life, Love, Friendship and Tough Issues
  • Chicken Soup for the Mother's Soul 2: More Stories to Open the Hearts and Rekindle the Spirits of Mothers (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • Unleashing the Power of Rubber Bands: Lessons in Non-Linear Leadership
  • Godless Morality: Keeping Religion Out of Ethics
  • The Book Of Rachael
  • Repacking Your Bags: Lighten Your Load for the Rest of Your Life
  • Riding the Black Cockatoo
  • Jumpstart Your Creativity: 10 Jolts to Get Creative and Stay Creative (Jumpstart Series)
  • An Atheist Manifesto