Start by marking “The Black God's War (Splendor and Ruin, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Black God's War (Splendor and Ruin, #1)

The Black God's War (Splendor and Ruin)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  401 ratings  ·  93 reviews
Against the backdrop of epic warfare and the powers of ten mysterious gods, Lucia struggles to understand The Black One.

Her father-king wants war.
Her messianic brother wants peace.
The black god wants his due.
She suffers all the consequences.

King Vieri is losing his war against the lands of Pawelon. Feeling abandoned by his god, he forces his son Caio, the kingdom’s holy
Published August 1st 2011 (first published August 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Black God's War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black God's War

Steve Thomas
I spent a lot of time waffling between two and three stars as I read this book. The prologue was unfortunately the best part, and like a modern rock song, once you get past the opening riff, it settles into mediocrity. The writing style was clean and serviceable, but a little bland. The dialog wasn't great, but mostly worked well enough.

In my opinion, there were two major problems that soured me to the whole book:

First major issue:

The world needed a lot more development. I would even argue that
Kim Osborn
While waiting I may have to read this book again, it's a work of art, thank you for the time, imagination and effort you took on this book. I just love a book such as this that takes plenty of time to read, as I've said before I hate a short book, and love long novels. You've done yourself proud and I look forward to reading more of your works. I feel the need to add a Arendt bit more after reading some comments, this book allows you to use your imagination to fill in the areas that need fleshin ...more
Moses Siregar III
Aug 04, 2011 Moses Siregar III added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All sentient beings
Recommended to Moses by: ...
This is the full novel (120,000 words/384 pages) promised by the much shorter excerpt novella, ‘The Black God’s War: A Novella Introducing a New Epic Fantasy.’ The novella is still available for free at all the major e-bookstores and it has its own page at GoodReads). Thanks for checking out my work!
Evgeny
I really like this book. The plot is interesting, so are most of the characters. The author claims to be familiar with ancient Greek and Indian mythology, and it shows. I will have to give away some minor spoilers, but nothing that could not be seen in a first couple of pages of the book.

There is a war going on between two sides: Rezzians (think ancient Greece) and Pawelonians (think ancient India). One of the few weaknesses of the book is that the original reason for war is never revealed - or
Mihir

Full Review originally at Fantasy Book Critic

ANALYSIS: The Black God’s War is an Indie debut that has slowly gained a multitude of reviews and heaps of praise since its release last year. The author had contacted us for a review request and I was very intrigued by its blurb to not give it a try. The book was originally released as a novella that contained the first fifteen chapters and the novella is still free for those interested in giving it a shot.

The blurb details two nations at war. The
Stacey
Black God's War is a story propelled by human ambition and desire for cultural dominance, and ambiguous heroes choosing paths sometimes based on misunderstanding and poor information. It's war, and military intelligence is not always what it seems.

Faith and Spirituality is a character in this story, as much as Caio, Rao and Lucia. One side, (the Rezzian) has a much more personal interaction with their pantheon of Gods; there's a lyrical scene where Caio ceremonially chooses, or is chosen by, hi
Lane Diamond
Moses Siregar has crafted a compelling, epic fantasy in THE BLACK GOD'S WAR, one that will keep you engaged from start to finish. I struggled a little bit with the name-dropping in the opening segments -- lots of characters to remember quickly -- but once I got into the story, I was anxious to finish it.

That I am not a big fantasy reader, yet still wanted to tear through this book, means, I suspect, that if you're a fantasy fan, you're going to love this book.
Robert Duperre
Rating: 4.5 out of 5

(Reviewer’s note: I received this book as an ARC from the author)

Spirituality and religion. These words have been the salvation and bane of human existence since we first formed coherent thought. From the tribal convictions of the earliest African nations to the ancient Greeks to the world as we know it today, we have celebrated them together, found solace through their teachings, fought and killed each other over their differences.

What Moses Siregar has sought to do in The B
Mike Vasich
BGW starts off with a scene where one of the main characters gets a visit from the eponymous god. Tragedy ensues, and he continues to show up time to time throughout the book. While the character views him--rightly so--as evil, the reader is not quite sure that this is so. This is due to the subtlety that Mr Siregar imposes on the god character. Rather than evil incarnate, he seems to be mostly put upon by fate (or whatever it is that drives gods).

This little thread kept me reading throughout t
Ron
Remember when I reviewed The Black God’s War – a novella? Remember how I said it was an elegant, great tale and I’d be looking forward to the whole novel? Well, finally, I got my hands on it.

And I couldn’t let it go.

Most of what I said about quality holds in this stand alone novel, but on a different level altogether. For example, characters were deep, well developed and had a purpose, a reason to act as they did beyond “fulfilling the plot”. But after reading the first instalment of Splendour a
Timothy Ward
I was continually amazed at how such a high quality book could be an author's debut. The specific description he uses to paint the scenery, fill us in on characters' inner experiences, illustrate one of the most fascinating magic/religious systems I've read or seen, and blow my mind with complex characters (including snippets inside the point of view of various gods) made this read an absolute pleasure. Add to that a plot that was so intense I was astonished at how much happened by the 50% mark, ...more
Mark Westmoreland
More honestly "The Black God's War" falls somewhere between 3.5 to 3.8 stars. Can't really make up my mind where.

The story itself is strong. I could read the book for no other reason than that. It's unique, the magic systems are great, and the characters are all so likeable. I don't think I've read a novel where I enjoyed reading every single POV. Good job, Moses.

The reason the novel didn't receive 4 or even 5 stars is because in places the prose is stiff, the description sparse, and the dialogu
Marion
I won't lie. I bought this book because it was $.99. But I am very glad I did. It was a quick but very good read with an interesting mix of mythology and fantasy. It is definitely a book I would recommend to others. My only complaint (which isn't even really a complaint) is that the jumping back and forth between the timelines and people can get a bit confusing. But it isn't so bad and is definitely worth the read.
Nic
An exciting first novel that makes me want to read more. I mostly enjoyed the way Moses portrayed the interaction between gods and humans. I hope he finished his next series so that I can start reading it.
Flora Bateman
I did really enjoy this book and I might even stretch it up to 4.5 stars. I had only a couple of minor issues but over all it was a good one, even tho it was a bit long.

This story seems drawn on Homer's Illiad. There is a great war and a pantheon of gods that took part. However, its not really clear for the reason behind the war. With the Illiad it was because of Helen of Troy with Rezzia and Powelon its not so clear. There were four characters that countered each other: Ciao and Lucia were Rez
Katy
Nov 20, 2011 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of dark, complex, military fantasy
Recommended to Katy by: LibraryThing
Two warring countries, two young princes honor-bound to protect their people, two proud leaders who refuse to back down. These are the countries of Rezzia and Pawelon. Rezzia is a country of people who worship the ten gods of the Lux Lucis; Pawelon is a country of sages and thinkers who utilize their own minds to reach a higher level of consciousness. Rezzia believes they must conquer Pawelon in order to raise its people above their superstitions; Pawelon believes they must stand fast against th ...more
Ryan Lawler
I first come across The Black God’s War back in April of this year. It was a free to download novella, a 15 chapter excerpt from the novel of the same name due to be released in August of this year. I was very impressed with the novella (see my review here) and as Moses can probably tell you I had been waiting impatiently for him to hurry up and release the completed novel. Now that I have finished reading the full release, I can say that The Black God’s War easily eclipses my already high expec ...more
D.P. Prior

This review is for the full-length novel; I reviewed the novella last year, but since then, Moses Siregar has completed the novel and polished this refreshing new fantasy to a very satisfying degree.

I should note that I provided some editorial support on this book in the early stages of redrafting, but since then the author has rewritten extensively under the guidance of two more editors. The book I am now reviewing barely resembles the drafts I was asked to comment on, and I am, to say the leas
Doskoi_panda
Moses Siregar III's "The Black God's War" is an unusual fantasy novel - utilizing mostly non-western names in a story of a long two sided war reminiscent of tales of wars in Greek or Persian classics. The gods take an active part in the novel, albeit mostly silently, supporting the (apparently*)aggressive Rezzians. The other side (Pawelon), who appear to be defenders in the war, rely not on gods but instead on a sort of magic, not dissimilar to some of the purported powers of yogis or mystics (t ...more
Simon Royle
It had been a while since I had read any fantasy, but I'd heard lots of good things about The Black God's War (and the cover and title made me want to get at it), so when I got some time over the Christmas holidays I dived in.
This is a BIG book, truly deserving of the EPIC description. King's, Prince's, Princesses and the Gods that are aligned with them, are the characters, with a supporting cast of soldiers, whores and the masses. All set in a conflict which has been dragging on for decades in
Adrian
I came across this book, and Moses Siregar III, utterly by chance via twitter, and after a quick bit of research I decided to give it a try on my kindle.

And i am glad i did, i found it to be an enjoyable story with some interesting ideas on the common fantasy themes of magic, divinity, politics, and bloody conflict between nations.

Being given the opportunity to see the story from both sides with equal measure, and seeing the mis-understandings, heresay, and political machinations that have driv
Spiral2007
With a titles like "The Black God's War," I really should've been expecting it to be a bit heavy.

The story is rather dark yet beautiful. The relationships with the characters are quite nicely done, so much so that I really did feel sad whenever anyone died. (Being a book about a war, I don't think it's much of a spoiler saying that yes, characters died).

And that it was told from both sides of the war! Goodness, that made it even more touching, I think.

The ending was oh so bittersweet. Overall,
Darren Davis
A good quick paced read. You learn enough about the characters to maintain your interest, but it is not overly done. The story is interesting and follows a simple plot. In many books it would not be enough, but here it is done well and the reader is left feeling they know enough to be part of the story without having to know everything that is happening across the world, a fine balance most authors fail to find. After reading the 1100 some odd pages I wanted more and went searching for the secon ...more
Gerald Black
Though at times it seemed drawn out, the story and its conclusion were very entertaining.There was one particular chapter that, to me, made no sense and has left me scratching my head in bewilderment. Despite that, the story was well done and I found myself drawn into it. I like the contrast between the two societies and the conflict it entails. I will look forward to more books by this author.
Lorri
Greek mythology meets the tenets of Buddhism with a sprinkle of Judaic messianism. Various philosophies are subtly explored through a unique and gripping epic of love, war, and sword fighting fantasy. Memorable characters and a riveting plot that makes the book difficult to put down. A thinking person's fantasy novel
David Self
Amazing new author. First 15 chapters (stand alone) of a much longer novel to follow. It is refreshing that you come away unsure who the good guys really are: both sides are likeable but both have faults. It definitely leaves you asking for more.
Alex
It was one of the most amazing books i've ever read. It kept your interest the whole time and made you really feel as if you were a part of everything happening.
Cat Crowns
It is very interesting. I can't wait for the next book.
Greg Hamerton
A memorable modern fantasy in a classically ancient world, of the burden of great power, the emotional chasms of war and the love that might bridge the divide.

Siregar designed his own cover and it clearly displays his creative talent. You can instantly see what you are getting: a carefully crafted and appealing work about a beautiful girl who is partly shadowed by her classic armour. It promises battles, heroes and love, with the mood of an ancient Greek epic ... and it delivers!

It has a strong
Livia Blackburne
Mr. Siregar writes a compelling epic fantasy about two very different nations at war and the people leading them. The dramatic storyline drew me in immediately, and Siregar's world building is fantastic . We step into the heads of characters on both sides of the conflict -- the Rezzians (reminiscent of ancient Greece) with their pantheon of Gods, and the Pawelons, who trust in karma. Some of the best moments in the novel are the haunting scenes of the Rezzian gods as they walk invisible amongst ...more
  • Wrath of the White Tigress: A Tale of Pawan Kor
  • Dawn of War (Blood War, #1)
  • Talon of the Unnamed Goddess
  • Embers (The Guild of the Cowry Catchers, #1)
  • Scriber
  • My Sparkling Misfortune (The Lakeland Knight #1)
  • The Weight of Blood (The Half-Orcs, #1)
  • Sword of Fire and Sea (The Chaos Knight, #1)
  • Moonbeams  (Beams and Light, #1)
  • In Wilder Lands
  • The Broken Council (The Guardian Chronicles, #1)
  • The Dark Citadel (The Dark Citadel, #1)
  • Thief of Hope
  • Emerald (World of Samar, #1)
  • Eon's Door
  • The Habitation of the Blessed (A Dirge for Prester John, #1)
  • The Winds of Khalakovo (Lays of Anuskaya, #1)
  • Dragon Fate (War of the Blades, #1)
My novel is a dramatic epic fantasy (cover below), with a novella-length intro now available as an ebook. I blog about the writing life at:

You can find the novella at Amazon and Smashwords. Below, you'll find a YouTube video with my reading of the first chapter of my novel. The first chapter is also on my GoodReads profile.

When I was ten, I fell in love with a
More about Moses Siregar III...
The Black God’s War: A Novella Introducing a new Epic Fantasy The Children of Wind and Wood (A Preview of the Splendor and Ruin Trilogy)