Start by marking “The Black God's War (Splendor and Ruin, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Black God's War (Splendor and Ruin, #0.5)

The Black God's War (Splendor and Ruin 0.5)

Against the backdrop of epic warfare and the powers of ten mysterious gods, Lucia struggles to understand The Black One.

Her father-king wants war.
Her messianic brother wants peace.
The black god wants his due.
She suffers all the consequences.

King Vieri is losing his war against the lands of Pawelon. Feeling abandoned by his god, he forces his son Caio, the kingdom’s holy
Published August 1st 2011 (first published August 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Black God's War, please sign up.

Asteropê It seems Black God is a stand-alone, full length series prelude/prequel. Ninth Wind is the first actual book of the series. It was #ed on GR, before…moreIt seems Black God is a stand-alone, full length series prelude/prequel. Ninth Wind is the first actual book of the series. It was #ed on GR, before the other book, so it was assumed to be #1 - hence both being listed as #1. I had to read some reviews and check around to figure this out, because it wasn't so clear. I have edited the book #ing to indicate this, with the Black God being #0.5 and The Ninth Wind #1. I believe Ninth Wind is the first book of a planned trilogy. The blurbs/reviews for Ninth Wind seem to indicate it's not necessary to read Black God before you read Ninth Wind, but it's probably helpful to understand the plot and world-building. The updated series is as follows: https://www.goodreads.com/series/8984...(less)

Matteo
Jan 11, 2017 Matteo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book.
I liked the setting, different from the classic European Middle Age that you can find in the majority of fantasy books.
Here you have basically ancient Greece fighting against India and I personally found it quite refreshing.
The two cultures are very different and it is actually this big difference in terms of religion and beliefs that creates a conflict between them.
There is no good and evil side, but the main spark for the war is ignorance and prejudice.
Even the most
Steve Thomas
Dec 21, 2011 Steve Thomas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indie
I spent a lot of time waffling between two and three stars as I read this book. The prologue was unfortunately the best part, and like a modern rock song, once you get past the opening riff, it settles into mediocrity. The writing style was clean and serviceable, but a little bland. The dialog wasn't great, but mostly worked well enough.

In my opinion, there were two major problems that soured me to the whole book:

First major issue:

The world needed a lot more development. I would even argue that
Evgeny
Jul 31, 2012 Evgeny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I really like this book. The plot is interesting, so are most of the characters. The author claims to be familiar with ancient Greek and Indian mythology, and it shows. I will have to give away some minor spoilers, but nothing that could not be seen in a first couple of pages of the book.

There is a war going on between two sides: Rezzians (think ancient Greece) and Pawelonians (think ancient India). One of the few weaknesses of the book is that the original reason for war is never revealed - or
Moses Siregar III
Aug 04, 2011 Moses Siregar III added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All sentient beings
Recommended to Moses by: ...
This is the full novel (120,000 words/384 pages) promised by the much shorter excerpt novella, ‘The Black God’s War: A Novella Introducing a New Epic Fantasy.’ The novella is still available for free at all the major e-bookstores and it has its own page at GoodReads). Thanks for checking out my work!
Kim Osborn
May 27, 2012 Kim Osborn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While waiting I may have to read this book again, it's a work of art, thank you for the time, imagination and effort you took on this book. I just love a book such as this that takes plenty of time to read, as I've said before I hate a short book, and love long novels. You've done yourself proud and I look forward to reading more of your works. I feel the need to add a Arendt bit more after reading some comments, this book allows you to use your imagination to fill in the areas that need fleshin ...more
Mihir
Aug 30, 2012 Mihir rated it really liked it

Full Review originally at Fantasy Book Critic

ANALYSIS: The Black God’s War is an Indie debut that has slowly gained a multitude of reviews and heaps of praise since its release last year. The author had contacted us for a review request and I was very intrigued by its blurb to not give it a try. The book was originally released as a novella that contained the first fifteen chapters and the novella is still free for those interested in giving it a shot.

The blurb details two nations at war. The
Stacey
Black God's War is a story propelled by human ambition and desire for cultural dominance, and ambiguous heroes choosing paths sometimes based on misunderstanding and poor information. It's war, and military intelligence is not always what it seems.

Faith and Spirituality is a character in this story, as much as Caio, Rao and Lucia. One side, (the Rezzian) has a much more personal interaction with their pantheon of Gods; there's a lyrical scene where Caio ceremonially chooses, or is chosen by, hi
Lane Diamond
Sep 12, 2011 Lane Diamond rated it really liked it
Moses Siregar has crafted a compelling, epic fantasy in THE BLACK GOD'S WAR, one that will keep you engaged from start to finish. I struggled a little bit with the name-dropping in the opening segments -- lots of characters to remember quickly -- but once I got into the story, I was anxious to finish it.

That I am not a big fantasy reader, yet still wanted to tear through this book, means, I suspect, that if you're a fantasy fan, you're going to love this book.
Robert Duperre
Aug 03, 2011 Robert Duperre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4.5 out of 5

(Reviewer’s note: I received this book as an ARC from the author)

Spirituality and religion. These words have been the salvation and bane of human existence since we first formed coherent thought. From the tribal convictions of the earliest African nations to the ancient Greeks to the world as we know it today, we have celebrated them together, found solace through their teachings, fought and killed each other over their differences.

What Moses Siregar has sought to do in The B
Mike Vasich
Nov 06, 2011 Mike Vasich rated it it was amazing
BGW starts off with a scene where one of the main characters gets a visit from the eponymous god. Tragedy ensues, and he continues to show up time to time throughout the book. While the character views him--rightly so--as evil, the reader is not quite sure that this is so. This is due to the subtlety that Mr Siregar imposes on the god character. Rather than evil incarnate, he seems to be mostly put upon by fate (or whatever it is that drives gods).

This little thread kept me reading throughout t
Timothy Ward
Aug 04, 2011 Timothy Ward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was continually amazed at how such a high quality book could be an author's debut. The specific description he uses to paint the scenery, fill us in on characters' inner experiences, illustrate one of the most fascinating magic/religious systems I've read or seen, and blow my mind with complex characters (including snippets inside the point of view of various gods) made this read an absolute pleasure. Add to that a plot that was so intense I was astonished at how much happened by the 50% mark, ...more
Mark Westmoreland
More honestly "The Black God's War" falls somewhere between 3.5 to 3.8 stars. Can't really make up my mind where.

The story itself is strong. I could read the book for no other reason than that. It's unique, the magic systems are great, and the characters are all so likeable. I don't think I've read a novel where I enjoyed reading every single POV. Good job, Moses.

The reason the novel didn't receive 4 or even 5 stars is because in places the prose is stiff, the description sparse, and the dialogu
Marion
Sep 01, 2012 Marion rated it really liked it
I won't lie. I bought this book because it was $.99. But I am very glad I did. It was a quick but very good read with an interesting mix of mythology and fantasy. It is definitely a book I would recommend to others. My only complaint (which isn't even really a complaint) is that the jumping back and forth between the timelines and people can get a bit confusing. But it isn't so bad and is definitely worth the read.
Nic
Jan 06, 2013 Nic rated it really liked it
An exciting first novel that makes me want to read more. I mostly enjoyed the way Moses portrayed the interaction between gods and humans. I hope he finished his next series so that I can start reading it.
Ryan Lawler
Apr 08, 2012 Ryan Lawler rated it it was amazing
I first come across The Black God’s War back in April of this year. It was a free to download novella, a 15 chapter excerpt from the novel of the same name due to be released in August of this year. I was very impressed with the novella (see my review here) and as Moses can probably tell you I had been waiting impatiently for him to hurry up and release the completed novel. Now that I have finished reading the full release, I can say that The Black God’s War easily eclipses my already high expec ...more
D.P. Prior
Aug 04, 2011 D.P. Prior rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This review is for the full-length novel; I reviewed the novella last year, but since then, Moses Siregar has completed the novel and polished this refreshing new fantasy to a very satisfying degree.

I should note that I provided some editorial support on this book in the early stages of redrafting, but since then the author has rewritten extensively under the guidance of two more editors. The book I am now reviewing barely resembles the drafts I was asked to comment on, and I am, to say the leas
Flora Smith
Jun 09, 2012 Flora Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I did really enjoy this book and I might even stretch it up to 4.5 stars. I had only a couple of minor issues but over all it was a good one, even tho it was a bit long.

This story seems drawn on Homer's Illiad. There is a great war and a pantheon of gods that took part. However, its not really clear for the reason behind the war. With the Illiad it was because of Helen of Troy with Rezzia and Powelon its not so clear. There were four characters that countered each other: Ciao and Lucia were Rez
Doskoi_panda
Sep 19, 2011 Doskoi_panda rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
Moses Siregar III's "The Black God's War" is an unusual fantasy novel - utilizing mostly non-western names in a story of a long two sided war reminiscent of tales of wars in Greek or Persian classics. The gods take an active part in the novel, albeit mostly silently, supporting the (apparently*)aggressive Rezzians. The other side (Pawelon), who appear to be defenders in the war, rely not on gods but instead on a sort of magic, not dissimilar to some of the purported powers of yogis or mystics (t ...more
Katy
Sep 05, 2011 Katy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of dark, complex, military fantasy
Recommended to Katy by: LibraryThing
Two warring countries, two young princes honor-bound to protect their people, two proud leaders who refuse to back down. These are the countries of Rezzia and Pawelon. Rezzia is a country of people who worship the ten gods of the Lux Lucis; Pawelon is a country of sages and thinkers who utilize their own minds to reach a higher level of consciousness. Rezzia believes they must conquer Pawelon in order to raise its people above their superstitions; Pawelon believes they must stand fast against th ...more
Adrian
Mar 02, 2012 Adrian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I came across this book, and Moses Siregar III, utterly by chance via twitter, and after a quick bit of research I decided to give it a try on my kindle.

And i am glad i did, i found it to be an enjoyable story with some interesting ideas on the common fantasy themes of magic, divinity, politics, and bloody conflict between nations.

Being given the opportunity to see the story from both sides with equal measure, and seeing the mis-understandings, heresay, and political machinations that have driv
Jayne
Apr 28, 2013 Jayne rated it liked it
With a titles like "The Black God's War," I really should've been expecting it to be a bit heavy.

The story is rather dark yet beautiful. The relationships with the characters are quite nicely done, so much so that I really did feel sad whenever anyone died. (Being a book about a war, I don't think it's much of a spoiler saying that yes, characters died).

And that it was told from both sides of the war! Goodness, that made it even more touching, I think.

The ending was oh so bittersweet. Overall,
Darren Davis
Aug 23, 2011 Darren Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good quick paced read. You learn enough about the characters to maintain your interest, but it is not overly done. The story is interesting and follows a simple plot. In many books it would not be enough, but here it is done well and the reader is left feeling they know enough to be part of the story without having to know everything that is happening across the world, a fine balance most authors fail to find. After reading the 1100 some odd pages I wanted more and went searching for the secon ...more
Lorri
Aug 07, 2011 Lorri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Greek mythology meets the tenets of Buddhism with a sprinkle of Judaic messianism. Various philosophies are subtly explored through a unique and gripping epic of love, war, and sword fighting fantasy. Memorable characters and a riveting plot that makes the book difficult to put down. A thinking person's fantasy novel
Gerald Black
Jul 29, 2012 Gerald Black rated it really liked it
Though at times it seemed drawn out, the story and its conclusion were very entertaining.There was one particular chapter that, to me, made no sense and has left me scratching my head in bewilderment. Despite that, the story was well done and I found myself drawn into it. I like the contrast between the two societies and the conflict it entails. I will look forward to more books by this author.
David Self
Apr 16, 2012 David Self rated it it was amazing
Amazing new author. First 15 chapters (stand alone) of a much longer novel to follow. It is refreshing that you come away unsure who the good guys really are: both sides are likeable but both have faults. It definitely leaves you asking for more.
Alex
Jan 02, 2012 Alex rated it it was amazing
It was one of the most amazing books i've ever read. It kept your interest the whole time and made you really feel as if you were a part of everything happening.
Cat Crowns
Mar 12, 2013 Cat Crowns rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It is very interesting. I can't wait for the next book.
Greg Hamerton
Nov 13, 2012 Greg Hamerton rated it really liked it
A memorable modern fantasy in a classically ancient world, of the burden of great power, the emotional chasms of war and the love that might bridge the divide.

Siregar designed his own cover and it clearly displays his creative talent. You can instantly see what you are getting: a carefully crafted and appealing work about a beautiful girl who is partly shadowed by her classic armour. It promises battles, heroes and love, with the mood of an ancient Greek epic ... and it delivers!

It has a strong
Richard
Sep 07, 2012 Richard rated it did not like it
Written in a very simplistic style, this book was easy to put down. The story line is very confused. Adjectives often appear inappropriate and incongruous. One could imagine that the author laid down the story line using very simple sentences with nouns and verbs. Then, realizing that additional words were needed, a computer program was used to select from lists of adjectives and adverbs to "flesh out" the story. The result is that the book appears to have been written by a very inexperienced wr ...more
Greg
Dec 29, 2011 Greg rated it really liked it
*Note: Copied from my blog -

Moses Siregar III is one of those few independent published authors making a successful go of the new realm of publishing, and his novel The Black God’s War is a superb initial offering. Not only is it formatted well but it is an excellently written work that walks that fine line between literature and fantasy.

Created as a homage to Homer’s Illiad the novel is unlike any other piece of fantasy literature I have read to date. Not concerned with the standard tropes of
  • Wrath of the White Tigress: A Tale of Pawan Kor
  • Dawn of War (Blood War, #1)
  • My Sparkling Misfortune (The Lakeland Knight #1)
  • Embers (The Guild of the Cowry Catchers, #1)
  • The Broken Council (The Guardian Chronicles, #1)
  • In Wilder Lands
  • Emerald (World of Samar #1)
  • Lucifer's Odyssey
  • Son of Ereubus (Guardians of Legend, #1)
  • Aaron & Keja: Time Dragon
  • Night Birds' Reign (Dreamer's Cycle, #1)
  • Scriber
  • Moonbeams  (Beams and Light, #1)
  • Sasha (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #1)
  • Sword of Fire and Sea (The Chaos Knight, #1)
  • Brood of Bones
  • Talon of the Unnamed Goddess
  • My Enchanted Life
My novel is a dramatic epic fantasy (cover below), with a novella-length intro now available as an ebook. I blog about the writing life at:

You can find the novella at Amazon and Smashwords. Below, you'll find a YouTube video with my reading of the first chapter of my novel. The first chapter is also on my GoodReads profile.

When I was ten, I fell in love with a
More about Moses Siregar III...

Splendor and Ruin (2 books)
  • The Ninth Wind (Splendor and Ruin #1)

“The mind is the master of the physical world. The physical isn’t observed by the mind—it’s actually dependent on the mind. It’s more correct to say that the physical world is also mind. Remove or transform the mind, and the physical world has no independent existence. When you know the truth about reality, you don’t have to fear anything in the physical world.” 0 likes
“I believe it is not important how long you live, but that you give yourself to living. Live as only you can, with every part of you fully engaged.” 0 likes