Start by marking “Just a Minute: In the Heart of a Child, One Moment ... Can Last Forever” as Want to Read:
Just a Minute: In the Heart of a Child, One Moment ... Can Last Forever

Just a Minute: In the Heart of a Child, One Moment ... Can Last Forever

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  199 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Paperback Edition Coming in January 2014

How long does it take to make a difference in the life of a child?

For good or for ill, individual moments in a young person's life can make all the difference in their future. It may be something said or done by an adult who hardly thinks about it: a hug, a compliment, an intriguing question, a sincere applause. But in that moment,
Published December 22nd 2011 by Moody Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Just a Minute, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just a Minute

K. L.
Jan 04, 2012 K. L. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers, pastors, parents,
I highly recommend this book. It stirred my soul, but also gave me clear steps of small but significant actions I can take to simply love others.

Life can change in an instant. Some folks say that while waiting for the other shoe to drop, or in response to unforeseen circumstances. But this book challenges readers to be intentional about creating those moments, where you can with a word, touch or deed, change someone else’s life for the better.
In this inspiring book, Compassion International Pres
Sheila
Apr 29, 2012 Sheila rated it really liked it
Wess Stafford is President and CEO of Compassion International, and obviously has a heart for children all over the world. His premise in Just a Minute is quickly revealed as he tells the stories of young people influenced to change or even saved from certain death by somebody else’s just-a-minute action. Each time we interact with a child, we have the potential to create or destroy something within that child. And every minute counts.

The stories are short and nicely collected into sections focu
Beth Peninger
Jun 28, 2014 Beth Peninger rated it really liked it
Wess Stafford is one of the most genuine, compassionate, Spirit filled men I have ever "known." He is humble and unassuming and has the heart of God for the children of this world. I admire him greatly. His book, Too Small to Ignore, was moving and inspiring. This book creates the same inspiration, the same move of heart.
In this book Stafford recounts the mere minutes it takes to build up or tear down a child's future. He shares true accounts of people who were influenced for good or for bad by
Jenn S.
Feb 06, 2014 Jenn S. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-requested
I honestly feel books like this should be part of a mandatory education prior to couples having children. It sickens me how many times I've seen children abused, neglected or just told they are bad people. If more parents were shown how influential children are, we just might have less tragedies and we certainly would have happier more confident children. This book is well written and serves the intended purpose quite well. It's written intelligently with easy to understand language and vivid de ...more
Wendy Hines
Jul 04, 2013 Wendy Hines rated it really liked it
Inspiring? To say the least. Just a Minute is a compilation of stories by Wess Stafford that explain how just a minute can change a child's life forever. Whether you use that minute to show compassion, education, love or kindness, it can go a long way. Stafford talks about celebrities and how they were influenced at a young age and how they became stronger adults. In turn, they have helped others and shown an example of how such a small amount of time can really impact another. Stafford travels ...more
Lenore Webb
Mar 05, 2012 Lenore Webb rated it it was amazing
You know I am a sucker for a good story. More so when it shares the heart and lives of children. What joy comes from kiddos. My own Grandbabes will be here this weekend. I am so excited. And in having them visit, I am reminded of my own childhood with my grand parents. Of the things we did that was so simple yet meant so much to me. I hope to have that lasting impression on my own Grandbabes as we enjoy the simple pleasures of life.

Wess Stafford understands the heart of a child too. He has dedi
Linda
Mar 17, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
This is an encouraging book that will remind you how easy it is to make a difference in someone's life, especially that of a child. Moments such as the ones detailed in the book make a lasting impression on a child. And sadly, as a few of the experiences in the book illustrate, there are also moments that remain etched in a child's mind when negative messages were received that can impact the path that child takes in life. More than just a "feel-good" book, Just a Minute is divided into sections ...more
Bea
Why I Read It:

I teach young children, one year to three-and-a-half years old. My co-workers and I often talk about “teachable moments” and being role models. This book sounded like one that could supplement those concepts. I had qualms about the religious aspect of the book but decided to try it.

Review:

“You don’t have to be a teacher, a parent, a pastor, or a doctor to make a difference in the life of a child. You only have to be willing!” – This is so true, and so important. Any contact, howev
Cheryl
Mar 25, 2012 Cheryl rated it really liked it
While I don’t have children of my own, I have several nieces and nephews that I get to see and spend time with. This is why I wanted to read this book. I enjoy playing with them and know that a child is important.

Mr. Stafford did a wonderful job of writing and sharing all the stories of children and the situations that he viewed and experienced. One of my favorite stories was of a little girl that Mr. Stafford encountered in Manado, Indonesia. Her name was Jessica. Mr. Stafford was visiting abo
Katie Axelson
Jan 12, 2013 Katie Axelson rated it it was amazing
It’s a book of stories, stories of “just a minute” moments from people like you and me, from former sponsored children, and from well-known names. Stories that enforce the idea that a child is like wet cement, it only takes a moment to make an imprint but once it hardens it takes a chisel to change it. This can be good or bad, used for good or used for harm. Every moment matters.

The only criticism I would have was that the book almost seemed to be too many stories. I would have preferred for the
Claire
Jan 05, 2014 Claire rated it really liked it
It was my pleasure to receive this book as a goodreads Frist Reads giveaway.

I'm sure that each of us can recall a time from our childhood when something was said to us, or demonstrated to us, that had a lasting impact on how we viewed ourselves or the world around us. For some, it was a positive, loving statement that made us feel like a superhero. For others, it might have been embarrassing or painful, so much so that we stopped whatever we were doing at the time, and never tried it again. Eith
C
Mar 07, 2012 C rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-suggestions
This book is written by the director of Compassion International, a child sponsorship organization where my husband has worked for the last 10 years.

I've been reading this much in the style of the title itself, grabbing a quick chapter here or segment there when I get a moment. It is a quick easy read, but in many cases, very touching and emotional.

I've added it to the "I Recommend" list of books, as it is a compelling, perspective shifting type of book. I want everyone to read it - I can't help
Jim Anderson
Feb 02, 2016 Jim Anderson rated it it was amazing
Great book full of short real life stories where taking a few minutes to encourage children can make a huge difference in their lives. Be intentional with your words and manner with children. Don't take them for granted. This book is a true blessing to show how you can affect young lives. Hopefully in a positive manner
Nicky
Apr 15, 2013 Nicky rated it it was amazing
This is a book for everyone to read. Highly recommended, it will influence how you approach every encounter you have with other people, not just children. Aren't we all still children at heart, some of the time at least?
I picked up this book as my husband works for Compassion and was working alongside the author, Wess Stafford. As he was being inspired by Wess firsthand I was impacted by many of the simple stories documented in this book.
My aim is to be an encouragement in the small things. Like
Peter
Apr 25, 2014 Peter rated it it was amazing
This book is like "Chicken Soup for the Soul" for those who work with children. Whether you are a teacher, parent, or someone working with the poor, this book is peppered with stories of people who were inspired by a word or action when in their childhoods. Often it was an encouraging word that spurred the child toward making a difference in adulthood. Occasionally it was a negative event that steeled a child's resolve to "overcome evil with good" as an adult.

I would not hesitate to recommend th
Susan
May 16, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, audiobook
Great book - hope to listen to this one again sometime! Very encouraging with such an important message!
Acarrawa
Mar 10, 2015 Acarrawa rated it really liked it
Encouraging, challenging. Well-worth the time and effort. Read it.
Mekeisha
Aug 10, 2012 Mekeisha rated it really liked it
Loved this book. In this compilation, Wess shares many different stories about people who were impacted by an adult taking time with them - just a minute - showing value, encouraging them, etc. and the impact it had on their lives. There are also a few sad stories in here - including a glimpse into the lives of Hitler and Alfred Hitchcock. We can affect children in a positive way, or we can negatively affect them.

I love his analogy that children are like wet cement. It is very easy to "impress"
Autumn
Apr 27, 2014 Autumn rated it it was amazing
This book changed the way I see the world.
Lisa Ghost
Aug 08, 2015 Lisa Ghost rated it it was amazing
Life changing!!
Heather Jacobson
Feb 13, 2014 Heather Jacobson rated it it was amazing
AMAZING!!!
Kat Foley
Jul 01, 2015 Kat Foley rated it really liked it
can't agree more--invest in kids.
Amy Kannel
Sep 26, 2012 Amy Kannel rated it it was ok
I absolutely loved Dr. Stafford’s first book, Too Small to Ignore. The time would have been better spent rereading that than reading this second book by the president of Compassion International. It was a little too “chicken soup for the soul” for my taste—-a bit cheesy, a bit forced, trying too hard to move and inspire and change your life on every single page. Skip this and read Too Small to Ignore instead.
Ladytburd
Jan 05, 2014 Ladytburd rated it really liked it
This was the perfect book to read before bed as just a couple of pages are thought provoking enough to make you reflect on what you've achieved in the day. A very inspiring book that demonstrates how the little choices we make can have a huge impact on people either in a positive or negative way. It certainly makes you reflect on how you treat people on a daily basis.
Dec 30, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it
This would make a great gift for new parents. It's a compilation of stories- mostly interesting that illustrate how someone made a difference in the life of a child. Reminder that the small moments we often don't think that much about add up to impact someone significantly. Note: I probably wouldn't have chosen this book but I won it in a GoodReads giveaway.
Sheri
Jun 15, 2012 Sheri rated it really liked it
Wess Stafford is the president and CEO of Compassion Int. You can sponsor children that are very needy in various parts of the world. This book focuses on stories of how people related to children and how just one minute can change that child's life...whether it be in a positive or negative way.
The true stories are really wonderful to read.
Paul
Jan 27, 2012 Paul rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
If you have read Wess Stafford's earlier book Too Small to Ignore you will recognize similar themes. Just a minute serves as a refrain to that book, reminding us with poignant stories that moments and what we do with them can have a powerful impact in the lives of children we interact with on a daily basis.
Ben
Mar 29, 2013 Ben rated it really liked it
It's amazing to think how just a brief interaction with a child can make an eternal impact. This book is filled with stories and testimonies of real life examples. You will view your interactions with children differently and will be challenged by the action steps at the end of the book.
Cindyanne
Feb 15, 2013 Cindyanne rated it it was amazing
Excellent book which really shows how committed Wess Stafford is to taking care of children as CEO of Compassion International; reveals how each of us can touch a child with "just a minute" moments for the good or bad, and how we can use our own experiences to create good ones in their lives.
Barb Downey
Apr 25, 2013 Barb Downey rated it it was amazing
Great book of stories showing how just one comment and/or moment can impact a child forever. Loved the book! It is motivating! I especially want to connect with my grandkids, of course, but this book makes me realize how profound our words can be to a person of any age.
  • The Poor Will Be Glad: Joining the Revolution to Lift the World Out of Poverty
  • A Place at the Table: 40 Days of Solidarity with the Poor
  • Fields of the Fatherless: Discover the Joy of Compassionate Living
  • Back to Jerusalem: Three Chinese House Church Leaders Share Their Vision to Complete the Great Commission
  • There's a Sheep in my Bathtub: Birth of a Mongolian Church Planting Movement
  • Unshaken: Rising from the Ruins of Haiti's Hotel Montana
  • Telling God's Story: A Parents' Guide to Teaching the Bible
  • Love Has a Face: Mascara, a Machete and One Woman's Miraculous Journey with Jesus in Sudan
  • No Longer a Slumdog: Bringing Hope to Children in Crisis