Just a Minute: In the Heart of a Child, One Moment ... Can Last Forever

Just a Minute: In the Heart of a Child, One Moment ... Can Last Forever

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Paperback Edition Coming in January 2014

How long does it take to make a difference in the life of a child?

For good or for ill, individual moments in a young person's life can make all the difference in their future. It may be something said or done by an adult who hardly thinks about it: a hug, a compliment, an intriguing question, a sincere applause. But in that moment,...more
Published December 22nd 2011 by Moody Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Just a Minute, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just a Minute

K. L.
Jan 04, 2012 K. L. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers, pastors, parents,
I highly recommend this book. It stirred my soul, but also gave me clear steps of small but significant actions I can take to simply love others.

Life can change in an instant. Some folks say that while waiting for the other shoe to drop, or in response to unforeseen circumstances. But this book challenges readers to be intentional about creating those moments, where you can with a word, touch or deed, change someone else’s life for the better.
In this inspiring book, Compassion International Pres...more
Sheila
Wess Stafford is President and CEO of Compassion International, and obviously has a heart for children all over the world. His premise in Just a Minute is quickly revealed as he tells the stories of young people influenced to change or even saved from certain death by somebody else’s just-a-minute action. Each time we interact with a child, we have the potential to create or destroy something within that child. And every minute counts.

The stories are short and nicely collected into sections focu...more
Beth Peninger
Wess Stafford is one of the most genuine, compassionate, Spirit filled men I have ever "known." He is humble and unassuming and has the heart of God for the children of this world. I admire him greatly. His book, Too Small to Ignore, was moving and inspiring. This book creates the same inspiration, the same move of heart.
In this book Stafford recounts the mere minutes it takes to build up or tear down a child's future. He shares true accounts of people who were influenced for good or for bad by...more
Jenn S.
I honestly feel books like this should be part of a mandatory education prior to couples having children. It sickens me how many times I've seen children abused, neglected or just told they are bad people. If more parents were shown how influential children are, we just might have less tragedies and we certainly would have happier more confident children. This book is well written and serves the intended purpose quite well. It's written intelligently with easy to understand language and vivid de...more
Wendy Hines
Inspiring? To say the least. Just a Minute is a compilation of stories by Wess Stafford that explain how just a minute can change a child's life forever. Whether you use that minute to show compassion, education, love or kindness, it can go a long way. Stafford talks about celebrities and how they were influenced at a young age and how they became stronger adults. In turn, they have helped others and shown an example of how such a small amount of time can really impact another. Stafford travels...more
Lenore Webb
You know I am a sucker for a good story. More so when it shares the heart and lives of children. What joy comes from kiddos. My own Grandbabes will be here this weekend. I am so excited. And in having them visit, I am reminded of my own childhood with my grand parents. Of the things we did that was so simple yet meant so much to me. I hope to have that lasting impression on my own Grandbabes as we enjoy the simple pleasures of life.

Wess Stafford understands the heart of a child too. He has dedi...more
Linda
This is an encouraging book that will remind you how easy it is to make a difference in someone's life, especially that of a child. Moments such as the ones detailed in the book make a lasting impression on a child. And sadly, as a few of the experiences in the book illustrate, there are also moments that remain etched in a child's mind when negative messages were received that can impact the path that child takes in life. More than just a "feel-good" book, Just a Minute is divided into sections...more
Bea
Why I Read It:

I teach young children, one year to three-and-a-half years old. My co-workers and I often talk about “teachable moments” and being role models. This book sounded like one that could supplement those concepts. I had qualms about the religious aspect of the book but decided to try it.

Review:

“You don’t have to be a teacher, a parent, a pastor, or a doctor to make a difference in the life of a child. You only have to be willing!” – This is so true, and so important. Any contact, howev...more
Cheryl
While I don’t have children of my own, I have several nieces and nephews that I get to see and spend time with. This is why I wanted to read this book. I enjoy playing with them and know that a child is important.

Mr. Stafford did a wonderful job of writing and sharing all the stories of children and the situations that he viewed and experienced. One of my favorite stories was of a little girl that Mr. Stafford encountered in Manado, Indonesia. Her name was Jessica. Mr. Stafford was visiting abo...more
Katie Axelson
It’s a book of stories, stories of “just a minute” moments from people like you and me, from former sponsored children, and from well-known names. Stories that enforce the idea that a child is like wet cement, it only takes a moment to make an imprint but once it hardens it takes a chisel to change it. This can be good or bad, used for good or used for harm. Every moment matters.

The only criticism I would have was that the book almost seemed to be too many stories. I would have preferred for the...more
Claire P
It was my pleasure to receive this book as a goodreads Frist Reads giveaway.

I'm sure that each of us can recall a time from our childhood when something was said to us, or demonstrated to us, that had a lasting impact on how we viewed ourselves or the world around us. For some, it was a positive, loving statement that made us feel like a superhero. For others, it might have been embarrassing or painful, so much so that we stopped whatever we were doing at the time, and never tried it again. Eith...more
C
This book is written by the director of Compassion International, a child sponsorship organization where my husband has worked for the last 10 years.

I've been reading this much in the style of the title itself, grabbing a quick chapter here or segment there when I get a moment. It is a quick easy read, but in many cases, very touching and emotional.

I've added it to the "I Recommend" list of books, as it is a compelling, perspective shifting type of book. I want everyone to read it - I can't help...more
Nicky
This is a book for everyone to read. Highly recommended, it will influence how you approach every encounter you have with other people, not just children. Aren't we all still children at heart, some of the time at least?
I picked up this book as my husband works for Compassion and was working alongside the author, Wess Stafford. As he was being inspired by Wess firsthand I was impacted by many of the simple stories documented in this book.
My aim is to be an encouragement in the small things. Like...more
Peter
This book is like "Chicken Soup for the Soul" for those who work with children. Whether you are a teacher, parent, or someone working with the poor, this book is peppered with stories of people who were inspired by a word or action when in their childhoods. Often it was an encouraging word that spurred the child toward making a difference in adulthood. Occasionally it was a negative event that steeled a child's resolve to "overcome evil with good" as an adult.

I would not hesitate to recommend th...more
Mekeisha
Loved this book. In this compilation, Wess shares many different stories about people who were impacted by an adult taking time with them - just a minute - showing value, encouraging them, etc. and the impact it had on their lives. There are also a few sad stories in here - including a glimpse into the lives of Hitler and Alfred Hitchcock. We can affect children in a positive way, or we can negatively affect them.

I love his analogy that children are like wet cement. It is very easy to "impress"...more
Autumn
This book changed the way I see the world.
Amy Kannel
I absolutely loved Dr. Stafford’s first book, Too Small to Ignore. The time would have been better spent rereading that than reading this second book by the president of Compassion International. It was a little too “chicken soup for the soul” for my taste—-a bit cheesy, a bit forced, trying too hard to move and inspire and change your life on every single page. Skip this and read Too Small to Ignore instead.
Ladytburd
This was the perfect book to read before bed as just a couple of pages are thought provoking enough to make you reflect on what you've achieved in the day. A very inspiring book that demonstrates how the little choices we make can have a huge impact on people either in a positive or negative way. It certainly makes you reflect on how you treat people on a daily basis.
This would make a great gift for new parents. It's a compilation of stories- mostly interesting that illustrate how someone made a difference in the life of a child. Reminder that the small moments we often don't think that much about add up to impact someone significantly. Note: I probably wouldn't have chosen this book but I won it in a GoodReads giveaway.
Sheri
Wess Stafford is the president and CEO of Compassion Int. You can sponsor children that are very needy in various parts of the world. This book focuses on stories of how people related to children and how just one minute can change that child's life...whether it be in a positive or negative way.
The true stories are really wonderful to read.
Paul
Jan 27, 2012 Paul rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
If you have read Wess Stafford's earlier book Too Small to Ignore you will recognize similar themes. Just a minute serves as a refrain to that book, reminding us with poignant stories that moments and what we do with them can have a powerful impact in the lives of children we interact with on a daily basis.
Ben
It's amazing to think how just a brief interaction with a child can make an eternal impact. This book is filled with stories and testimonies of real life examples. You will view your interactions with children differently and will be challenged by the action steps at the end of the book.
Cindyanne
Excellent book which really shows how committed Wess Stafford is to taking care of children as CEO of Compassion International; reveals how each of us can touch a child with "just a minute" moments for the good or bad, and how we can use our own experiences to create good ones in their lives.
Barb Downey
Great book of stories showing how just one comment and/or moment can impact a child forever. Loved the book! It is motivating! I especially want to connect with my grandkids, of course, but this book makes me realize how profound our words can be to a person of any age.
Julie
Just a minute...to bring tears of joy and tears of sadness to my eyes with each touching and meaningful story. I find myself delving into my own interactions with my own children and wondering what each of them might write as their own story of a moment in their lives with me.
Annas
This book will help you see the impact and influence you can have on a child's life. This is a great read for anyone who works with kids. It's convicting! I've shared so many quotes and stories with my team of Children's Ministry volunteers. Great motivation!
Shannon
This book will take you through an entire array of emotions. It will make you laugh, it will make you cry; most importantly, it will move you to make a difference for Christ in the lives of everyone you meet, but especially those children in your path.
Bianca P
Terrific non-fiction book on how one minute can change a child's life.
Full of short, impacting stories of childhood, Just a Minute will bring you to tears thinking of your own childhood 'moment' - whether good or bad.
God Bless.
Cindy
Wonderful stories that show the power of words in a child's life.
  • I Still Believe
  • Orphanology: Awakening to Gospel-Centered Adoption and Orphan Care
  • Families Where Grace Is in Place
  • Instructing a Child's Heart
  • To Know You
  • A Million Little Ways: Uncover the Art You Were Made to Live
  • Undaunted: Daring to Do What God Calls You to Do
  • Sacred Influence: How God Uses Wives to Shape the Souls of Their Husbands
  • Adoniram Judson: Bound for Burma (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Leading Little Ones to God: A Child's Book of Bible Teachings
  • Interrupted: An Adventure in Relearning the Essentials of Faith
  • William Carey: Obliged to Go
  • Adopted for Life: The Priority of Adoption for Christian Families and Churches
  • Alphabet Soup For Grown-Ups
  • The Pursuit of Passion: Thoughts to Help You Navigate from the Darkest Hours to the Light of Inspiration
  • The Four Seasons of Marriage
  • The Connected Child: Bring Hope and Healing to Your Adoptive Family
  • Haunting Joy (Haunting Joy, #1)
Too Small to Ignore: Why Children Are the Next Big Thing Hope Lives: A Journey of Restoration Generation Change: Roll Up Your Sleeves and Change the World (Invert) A Candle in the Darkness: Stories of Redemption from Abuse and Sexual Sin (Christianity Today Essentials)