Start by marking “The Embittered Ruby (Diamond Estates, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Embittered Ruby (Diamond Estates, #2)

The Embittered Ruby (Diamond Estates #2)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Join embittered sixteen-year-old Carmen Castillo on her journey to hope and healing as she leaves her hurtful world behind and moves into Diamond Estates, a home for troubled teens. This brand-new novel for teen girls will not only entertain, but also promises to capture your heart and challenge your faith.
Published April 1st 2012 by Barbour Books

To ask other readers questions about The Embittered Ruby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Embittered Ruby

Rachelle Rea
What I Loved

As soon as I finished The Wishing Pearl I knew I wanted to read The Embittered Ruby.

Nicole O'Dell has a real talent for opening up the heart of a troubled teen girl with serious issues...and helping the reader sympathize with her.

Sometimes I got so mad at Carmen! I just wanted to shake her by the shoulders and tell her to trust God, confide in her parents, and stop acting like she was...but I learned a lot through reading this book, too.

Like shaking someone by the shoulders is not
Bobbie
Jun 29, 2012 Bobbie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Older teens
I loved The Wishing Pearl, the first book in Nicole O'dell's Diamond Estates Series so of course I jumped on the chance to read the second book in the series.

I'm not going to spoil this book for y'all, but I will say that Carmen made alot of bad choices. And I mean alot of bad choices. This book deals with alot of sensitive topics such as teen pregnancies, drugs, suicide, and quite a few other topics. It was hard to read certain scenes and I teared up at times.

During certain parts I got so frust
Jill Williamson
Review by Jill Williamson

Carmen Castillo’s live is falling apart. Her parents have gotten a divorce, which meant she had to move to s new school in New Jersey, far away from her boyfriend in New York, the country club where she plays tennis, and her beautiful home. New Jersey is gross. Their new apartment is in a seedy part of town, and on the first day of school, she gets hit on my the head of a dangerous gang. Carmen just wants out. But her desperation leads her to deceive everyone she knows.

N
Adriana
Carmen Castillo has just moved to Hackensack, New Jersey where danger lurks everywhere - on the streets and in her school. But the school will be soon taken care of Diego a gangbanger who's killed. He offers her his services to protect her from Marco another gangbanger who "wants' her"

She has a boyfriend back from New York. A wealthy boyfriend like she used to be but then her dad divorced her mom and is dating a 20 something cheerleader while she now lives in a tiny apartment with her mother and
Gillian Bronte Adams
I really enjoyed reading The Wishing Pearl by Nicole O’Dell, the first book in the Diamond Estates series. So, I was very excited when offered the chance to review the second book, The Embittered Ruby.

From the first page, the reader is thrown into Carmen Castillo’s life. Reeling from her parent’s divorce and her sudden move from an upscale New York home to a crime ridden New Jersey neighborhood, Carmen is positive that life can’t get any worse. Until some of the more dangerous characters at sch
Cara Putman
This review is from my daughter who inhaled this book: Sixteen year old Carmen finds herself for an escape from her new home in New Jersey. After her parents divorce, her mom moves her and her sisters to an apartment on the wrong side of town. Everything she knows -- from her family to her friends -- is stripped away and she's desperate to somehow recreate what she once had. When all of her attempts fail, it feels like her life is over. She makes a string of bad choices in her attempt to break f ...more
Valerie Comer
Carmen Castillo is major unimpressed with her parents’ divorce. How come Dad gets to live in the fabulous family home in the right neighborhood, and she has to live with Mom and two sisters in an apartment on the wrong side of the tracks? Not only can Carmen no longer play tennis at the Country Club, but she can’t see her boyfriend every day anymore either. And then there’s the gang warfare in her new neighborhood. If she could click her ruby heels together and go home, she’d do it in a heartbea ...more
Gina
Once upon a time I was a teenager, it hasn't been so long ago that I forgot some of those feelings. Like Carmen I was a child of divorce, my life changed at that moment as did the life of Carmen. Loosing the things that you know as your life, your home, family, school and for Carmen. Tennis can make it difficult to see clearly. Those losses are what drove Carmen to the first mistake she made. It is not surprising that this first mistake lead her on a pretty typical path of one thing to the next ...more
Resistance is Futile
When Carmen's parents get a divorce, she is forced to move with her mother and two sisters from her classy home in upstate New York to a small, dilapidated apartment in Hackensack New Jersey. Willing to do anything to get her classy life back, Carmen makes bad decision after bad decision. Finally, she has no choice but to leave her family for The Diamond Estates--a refuge for teenage girls who need to get away from life and find God. This was a very difficult book for me to read and review. Carm ...more
Rachel
Carmen just wants her old life back. The only way to do is to have her boyfriend marry her. But the only way she can think of that happening anytime soon is to get pregnant. But when things begin to crash around her, she has no choice but to go to Diamond Estates to change her ways and heal her soul. It is not easy though when she doesn't believe in God or have an interest in the program. Will she find healing or will her old ways keep her from changing?

A realistic story with a fantastic ending.
IrenesBookReviews
I do not read a lot of young adult books but I was glad I had the opportunity to read this one. The story centers on a sixteen year old girl named Carmen. She is going through family drama and this book takes you along on her journey.

I found the story to be realistic. I thought the descriptions of the main characters’ emotions were well written. You follow the character as she justifies doing things that she knows are wrong. You really get to know her and understand why she does what she does. I
Carfar42
This book was very different from the first book in the Diamond Estates series, The Wishing Pearl (which was one of my favorite books of 2011). When I thought about it and remembered that these books chronicle the journeys of troubled teens through poor decisions until they seek help at a residential center, Diamond Estates, it only made sense that they would be completely different. So, it was a wise choice.

Carmen definitely makes some really dumb decisions, ones I hope most girls wouldn't mak
Claire
This is the first book by Nicole O'Dell I have read. The is the "second" book in her Diamond Estates novel. This book was strong and powerful, giving you a glimpse into Carmen's world, one that she wants to leave behind.

To be honest, I felt like Carmen made too many bad decisions - I know that is what teenagers do, and that it is just a part of life but I felt like it was a bit too much. That said, I loved the way she handled it all, right until the very end.

If you want a contemporary book, tha
Oksana  *Bookaholic*
I loved this book! I loved how you really got to watch Carmen grow as a character, though I have to admit I got kinda mad when she started trying to break Olivia and Justin up. I guess since I read about Olivia first in The Wishing Pearl, I kinda felt protective of her. But all in all, this book was as fantastic as the first one. :)
Cassaundra Aunna
This is a very good book for any struggling teen, or adult, who needs the inspiration and the help to better themselves. I really enjoyed most of the story. I truly hope that teens today are not so lost as they were in this book.

I won this book on Goodreads First Reads.
Dawn Teresa
I respect Nicole O'Dell and feel her work is necessary and important. Hard to say this:

I was excited to read this at NetGalley, but ultimately disappointed to find I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as The Wishing Pearl.

That said I will still look into book 3.
Katelyn Shear
Very good book. A must read for all teenage girls.
Rebekah Hancox
GREAT BOOK! you should read!
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Apollo
Apollo marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Nicole Donze
Nicole Donze marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Zoe ~ *Team Luca*
Zoe ~ *Team Luca* marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Chasing Jupiter
  • Failstate
  • Rainbow's End
  • The New Recruit (The Mission League, #1)
  • Wreath
  • The Stubborn Dead (Lost Souls #1)
  • Lysbeth: A Tale of the Dutch
  • Tall, Dark, and Determined (Husbands for Hire, #2)
  • All I Want is You
  • One More Summer
  • The Blue Door (The Threshold #1)
  • Smile and Say Murder (The Nancy Drew Files, #4)
  • Cherry Blossom Capers
  • A Peep Behind the Scenes (Rare Collector's Series)
  • The Sound of Red Returning (Red Returning Trilogy #1)
  • Sabrina's Window
  • Caller ID
  • Midnight in Lonesome Hollow: A Kit Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
Nicole O'Dell, Choose NOW Ministries
...battling peer pressure by tackling the tough issues

Youth-culture expert, Nicole O’Dell, resides in Paxton, Illinois, with her husband and six children—the youngest of which are toddler triplets. She’s the founder of Choose NOW Ministries, dedicated to battling peer pressure and guiding teens through tough issues while helping parents encourage good decisions,
More about Nicole O'Dell...
The Wishing Pearl (Diamond Estates, #1) Swept Away (Scenarios, #5-6) Magna (Scenarios, #3) The Shadowed Onyx (Diamond Estates, #3) Risky Business (Scenarios, #3-4)