Start by marking “An Atomic Romance” as Want to Read:
An Atomic Romance

Bobbie Ann Mason

An Atomic Romance

2.97 of 5 stars 2.97  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Reed, an engineer at a uranium-enrichment plant in heartland America, is too casual about the radioactive incidents he's endured for the tastes of his girlfriend, Julia. Then deformed frogs are discovered at the site.
Audio, 0 pages
Published September 1st 2005 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published August 23rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about An Atomic Romance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Atomic Romance

This sucked. It was repetitive and boring. Let me sum up the whole book for you:
Reed: I don't give a shit if I die of radiation poisoning. I just look at the stars and everything is fine. By the way, I'm desperately in love with you, Julia, but I keep fucking everything up.
Julia: I love you, but I can't handle the fact that you glow green and won't quit your dumbass job.
Reed: My job is fine. No one in the government would lie and let workers die slowly and painfully.
Julia: Well, I was stupid en
jimtown
I was eager to read this more recent book by Bobbie Ann Mason because her In Country was a book I truly enjoyed and could relate to. It's one of my rare five star books. I was interested to see where she was at after a long absence from writing.

If you watch and enjoy The Big Bang Theory on TV, then you might also enjoy An Atomic Romance. I think the 2005 book predates the show. I've only recently started watching Big Bang and it has opened my eyes and made Mason's book make much more sense to me
Rosina Lippi
Atomic Romance is a good novel. A really good novel, in many ways. Engaging and beautifully written and observed. But it's also missing something important.

This is the story of Reed Futrell, a guy in his forties, divorced, with two grown children. He's got a mother who made a lifetime out of independent quirkiness; he's got an on-again-off-again girlfriend with whom he shares a consuming interest in quantum mechanics and the Hubble telescope; he has worked for twenty years as an engineer making
Melanie
I listened to the audio of this book. I live in Oak Ridge, TN, which used to be called the atomic city so I could identify with much the author says in this book, although I think her book is probably based on the DOE plant in Padukah, KY, not Oak Ridge, but it could be any nuclear plant city. If I didn't live here and have some knowledge of people who have become ill because of the chemicals that are found in the plants and those that have been improperly disposed of in the past, I might not ha ...more
Thom (T.E.)
To start: a wonderful choice of setting, situation, and subject matter. The industrial plants and associated towns of the Tennessee Valley that, around mid-century, went from being mining-centered to nuclear. How some people (and families) get in front of the situation when something new moves in--and they succeed some but they are also taken advantage of by those who are at the top of the company ladder and don't have their hearts into keeping the community healthy and prosperous.

The leads are
Ed
It was O.K. The characters well-developed, but not that interesting. Bits of science (from radiation to string theory to molecular biology) played roles both within the plot and metaphorically, but the "romance" just didn't interest me.
Anna
Jan 26, 2009 Anna rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: die-hard Bobbie Ann Mason fans
I had a difficult time trying to write a review for "An Atomic Romance"; I really, really wanted to like this book, because Mason is a wonderful writer, but I just didn't have any emotional investment in the book after finishing it.

Mason tried to be provocative and provide a romantic, science-laden, passing on the generational torch morality lesson, but all I came away with was "The book's about a horny middle-aged guy who doesn't want to die, tries to be like Marlon Brando, and really needs to
Nicole
This was a good audio book and a well written story. The characters were flawed in realistic ways and their interactions and conversations seemed natural. The story is about the personal journey of one man through an awakening to the world beyond himself and love. The potential is always there, the reader sees it, but the character really comes to see it in himself. Besides the love story that the book jacket proclaims it to be, I think it is also the story of the relationship of parents to chil ...more
Donna
This is written by a Kentucky author and a story based on the atomic energy plant in Paducah Kentucky where my dad worked for most of the first 30 years of its existence. The plot and people are presented in a remarkably realistic way,and I enjoyed reading it. The romance is not the youthful first romance but the middle age been there before kind. A different kind of read, but with some of the joy of romance and lots of thoughtful issues about work, relationships and people as well as the "radi ...more
Jack Alexander
Fear and loathing of uranium. I liked the premise, the science and the characters but the dialogue was a bit drawn out causing too much repetition.
Gerald Curtis
I did not read more than the first few pages. This author was new to me, but I took a chance because the topic of working in an atomic facility that goes awry interested me. However, the first few pages were so saturated with crude and vulgar language and topics that I could go no further.
Diane
This story doesn't live up to it's title. I was very disappointed. There's not much in the story to call it a romance. Lots of science and scientific talk. The whole main storyline was kind of depressing (aging mother has a stroke, hospitals, nursing homes, problems at work, drunk friend, etc).
Savvy
Wanted to like this more than I did because the main character had a quirky sense of humor and provided some comic relief from the seriousness of the situation.

BUT...it rambled on and on in places with thoughts and info not relevant to the plot which made it somewhat boring.
Bookmarks Magazine

In her first novel in a decade, Mason examines the joys and sorrows of life in an atomic Heartland town. It seems, however, that a decade-long break hasn't done Mason any favors. While a few critics called the novel wholly original, many felt it courted every clich_

Tamlyn
Good book, but kind of slow in parts. I loved all the astronomy & physics, but the excruciating detail of the fix-it jobs in the plant was a bit too much. All in all, not terrible and an interesting take on the nuclear industry.
Ayacalypso
Kinda slow, but I like the sciencey side of it and I am sticking it out. I had to return it to the library before finishing, but I might get it again someday just to see how it ends.
David
With a family history in that environment, it was familiar territory spun into a very real drama. A very perceptive portrayal of the various mindsets common I've lived with all my life.
Rheba Smith
This book was totally unreadable. I don't understand why because Bobbie Ann Mason wrote one of my favorite all time books, Feather Crowns.

Anyway, don't waste your money.
Sara D
An excellent domestic romance set against the background of an imaginary nuclear-materials facility with a long history of safety violations. Good thing this is just fiction, eh?
Landismom
Denial is what you are experiencing if you are an engineer in a nuclear plant whose father died in a work-related accident at the same plant.
Carmine
I have a soft spot for underachievers, misfits, and unconventional romances, so I loved this intelligent, thoughtful, well-written story.
Michelle
a strange yet compelling story of a nuclear plant worker who falls in love with a young scientist
Jason
I was not the intended audience for this book.
Kme_17
  • Mistaken
  • Child of Vengeance
  • The Green Age of Asher Witherow
  • The Diezmo: A Novel
Bobbie Ann Mason has won the PEN/Hemingway Award and was a finalist for the National Book Critics Circle Award, the American Book Award, and the PEN/Faulkner Award. Her books include In Country and Feather Crowns. She lives in Kentucky.
More about Bobbie Ann Mason...
In Country The Girl in the Blue Beret Shiloh and Other Stories Feather Crowns Clear Springs: A Family Story