Start by marking “Prey (Aliens Vs. Predator, # 1)” as Want to Read:
Prey (Aliens Vs. Predator, # 1)

Prey (Aliens Vs. Predator #1)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  986 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Machiko Noguchi accepted the assignment of supervising the ranching colony on Ryushi as a challenge. Little did she know that not onl would she have run the colony, she'd have to defend it with her life!

First the carcass of a spiderlike alien is discovered. Then a rancher's family is massacred. Finally a creature unlike any ever seen before is brought to the colony medical
Published April 1st 1994 by Spectra Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Prey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prey

Chris Querrard
The enemy of my enemy is my friend which seems to be the theme in the book Alien vs. Predator Prey by Steve Perry and Stephani Perry. The setting is in the future where people manage to leave Earth onto a planet called Ryushi. The book starts out with two pilots Scott and Tom are in hyperspace on a giant ship called The Lector. In space a group of hunters (predators) are preparing for a massive hunt. Dachande was the leader of this hunting group and he was an honorable warrior and was in charge ...more
Joseane
I can only say if you are a sci-fi fan and especially a fan of the Predator film series/graphic novels then you MUST read this book. It shows a bit more of the Predator race (also known as Yautja), world and language through the eyes of Dachande/Yeyinde/”Broken Tusk”, a Yautja warrior who is a magnificent and extremely honorable example of his culture. On the other hand we have Machiko Noguchi as his human equivalent in strength and courage; she actually reminds me a lot of Lt. Ellen Ripley from ...more
Dartigeres
Great book I read it either in Junior high or high school. This book has nothing to do with the movie and came out before all of the games. This is far better than the movie which basically hacks up the normal story line of this particular universe, and belongs in a completely different one. There have been many books and comics by Dark horse on both the Aliens and Predator and a combination of both, pushing back into the late 80's. This is one of the few books that give you a perspective on wha ...more
Louis
This was written in response to the game Alien Vs. Predator and it discusses the origins of how humans get involved with both species.

I think this would have made a much better movie than the script used in the A v P movie released. Having a hidden temple near Antartica was a bit of a stretch. This book is set after man has gone to space and encountered the beast from the Alien.

The book was enjoyable, and Steve Perry does like doing personal fights scenes, mostly with swords or hand to hand com
Jaime Contreras
This book was released in 1994, years before the first film that pits these two creatures against each other. In this first novel, Machiko Noguchi must deal with the discovery that both the predator and Alien have come to the colony of Ryushi near Prosperity Wells. This book makes the first cooperative teaming of human and predator. This is a great action science fiction novel. It is a must for AVP fans.
Tedward
Thoroughly enjoyed this book and the subsequent avp stories.
Predators are awesome, so are aliens. Put them together and you just get awesomness all round.
Beka
A good premise, though I could do without all the cursing.
Rob
Feb 27, 2008 Rob rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sci fi/Movie/Monster fans
Jodie
I love this book. It's my go to book when I feel like toughening up and getting serious about something! Reading this book gives me a back bone!

Machiko Noguchi is possibly one of the coolest female lead characters ever! I'd love to meet her. She is written so well- tough and capable, yet still very much human.

5 stars :)

As so many other people have said, why didn't they turn this into a movie rather then the incredibly stupid and disappointing AvP films they have made lately??
John Opalenik
Basically the novelization of the original Alien vs Predator comic book. As always, the original was better.

The book and comic were both way better than the movies though. They should have just used this as a script and we would have been all set.
Carmaletta Hilton
I give it 3 stars, but lean a little more toward 3.5. The story started pretty slowly, but once everyone was on Ryushi and the action started, everything really picked up. I flew through the last half of the book. I don't usually read sci-fi, and this book was borrowed and read as a recommendation. Turns out, the story was pretty good, and having already seen AVP, I found it pretty interesting. Also, I'm not usually a fan of epilogues, but this one really added something. Not only did we see the ...more
Robert Mackay
Best one in the entire Aliens, Predator, AND Aliens Vs Predator series in conjunction with it's sister "Hunter's Planet"
Blake H
I just can't help but think why didn't they make the movie more like the book. They took only bits and pieces, then threw it in a terrible storyline. This is a very entertaining book and a quick read. If you are a fan of the franchise I highly recommend you read it.
Justin
I loved the graphic novel that this was based on, and thought this superbly conveyed the spirit, tension and characters of the comic, even when telling the story from the Predators' perspective. I would confidently say that this is the strongest novel from the Aliens and AvP series!
Angel
This one did not take long to finish once I found the time. If you have seen the films, odds are good you may like books in this series. For me, the book was interesting because it gave more insight into the culture of the predators. The action is pretty good, and the ending pretty much goes along with Noguchi's character. A light entertaining read.
Angelo
Great book. If you are a fan of the comics, toys, or movies, then you will love this book. Way better then the movies. I hope they remake the movies and follow this story. It is a blockbuster. Must read if you are a true Alien vs Predator fan.
Sam
In this book is a whole new world viewed by both humans and a species known to us as Predators. There is a war and humanity is smack-dab in the middle of it. Which side will we choose and how will we survive?
Heylo
May 23, 2009 Heylo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: favs
I loved this book. I enjoyed how the aliens and predators are and how a human interacts. I thought the movie where they were in Antartica was similar to the book in the predator/human interaction.
Toni
Contrary to what "Goodreads" says, this book was written by Steve Perry and Stephani Perry.
I know this not only because I read it, but because I'm holding a copy of it in my hand right now.
Alex Klimkewicz
Read it back in middle school. Enjoyed it then, along with several other Aliens, Predator, and Aliens vs. Predator books, but I probably wouldn't read it again.
Mark Howell
An extremely well-written little jaunt... if the AvP movies had been based upon the novels instead of some hackneyed screenwriter's POS imaginings, they would've been MUCH better flicks!
Cristian Valderas
I read this when I was a kid in the 90s, I doubt the story arch is relevant to any young people these day, but it certainly was an exciting read to a huge fan of the movies.
Jack
Excellent easy-read sci-fi, and it would make a good film (certainly a lot better than the absolute rubbish that has so far been released as AvP movies).
G.S. Bains
This should have been the movie "Aliens v Predator" not the rubbish that was commissioned!

Loved the story and would have been amazing as a movie.
John
Jul 11, 2010 John added it
this is a great read
well fleshed out story
and a great mixt of two movie mosters
too bad all the AVP movies were bad, because this book was good
Jason Landau
total bubble gum. sweet and dissolves quickly yet I read the entire series and can say without embarrassment it was fun to read them all
Tifa
Nov 17, 2008 Tifa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tifa by: My bro!
If you like action then this is definitely a book for you. I really wish the movie had followed this book. Machiko rocks!
Dan
Sep 09, 2009 Dan marked it as read-but-do-not-remember
I read this in seventh grade because my friend had it and I couldn't get the graphic novel.

I liked crap back then.
Leelan
Very good. Kept to the plot of the original graphic novel which is FANTASTIC. Thumbs up!
Kevin
This book was really dark and violent. One of the cooler comics I read as a kid
  • Hunter's Planet (Aliens Vs. Predator, # 2)
  • War (Aliens Vs. Predator, # 3)
  • Predator: Concrete Jungle
  • Aliens: Alien Harvest
  • Aliens - Music of the Spears (Aliens, #6)
  • Aliens Vs. Predator
  • Predator: South China Sea
  • Aliens vs. Predator Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • Aliens
  • Batman vs. Predator
  • Knee-Deep in the Dead (Doom #1)
  • Alien: Resurrection
  • Terminator Salvation: Cold War
  • Aliens Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • T2: Infiltrator
  • Terminator Salvation: From the Ashes
  • Outbreak
Shadows of the Empire (Star Wars) Breaking Point (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #4) Net Force (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #1) Hidden Agendas (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #2) Point of Impact (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #5)