Start by marking “Space” as Want to Read:

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  20 reviews

Emily Sue Harvey's work touches readers in profound ways. Coffee Time Romance called Song of Renewal, "a must-read book for anyone doing a little soul searching." Of Flavors, Black Diamond's Book Reviews said, I loved everything about this book! This is just an all around excellent book that is sure to bring memories back from times when life was a lot more simple.” And,

Published September 13th 2011 by The Story Plant

To ask other readers questions about Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Space

LuAnn
This is a book that will definitely grip your heart. Here is a happily married couple who are looking forward to the golden years. They’ve spent years planning for it and everything seems to be going according to that plan until their grown daughter returns home – complete with a number of issues revolving around her drug addictions. Between her lies and stealing from them, as well as the court and rehabilitation costs, the couple watches their life savings begin to disappear. It’s a horrible si ...more
Lisa B.
Book Overview:
Dan and Deede Stowe have worked for years, planning and saving for their idyllic retirement years. Just when they finally are about to realize their dream, their adult, recovering drug-addict daughter, Faith, moves back in with them and everything changes. Their “miracle child”, complete with druggie baggage, upsets the tranquil balance of the Stowe’s existence.
Amid chaotic challenges, all three battle to find peace with each other, a harmony that doggedly eludes them. For the sak
Melanie
Emily Sue Harvey
Published by The Story Plant

Dan and Deede were made for each other. Love at first site, longevity of marriage, and depth of understanding of each other’s character. Perfection? They have been unable to conceive a child. Years of heartache trying to conceive a child to be told finally that it was impossible. Miracle baby Faith is born within a year later.

Jump ahead, Faith is 19, married and given birth to her own daughter. Faith gets caught up in the world of prescription dr
Cheryl "Mash"
SPACE by Emily Sue Harvey
Published by The Story Plant
ISBN 9781611880199
At the request of The Story Plant, Spread The Word Initiative, an ARC EPub Edition was sent via NetGalley, at no cost to me, for my honest opinion.

Synopsis (borrowed from NetGalley): Emily Sue delivers us a deeply moving story of a family on the brink. Dan and Deede Stowe have worked for years, planning and saving for their idyllic retirement years. Just when they finally are about to realize their dream, their adult, recove
Jade Eby
Originally published at my blog Chasing Empty Pavements

After I read the blurb for this novel, I was sure I was going to love it. Juicy family drama? Yes please! However, that was not the case and I was sorely disappointed.

My thoughts: I debating on writing this review because honestly, I wasn’t sure I could give a review based on the fact that my dislike for the characters clouded every aspect of the book. The writing could have been spectacular, the plot wonderful but because I disliked the ch
Laurel-Rain
A story of family and the adversities that can either weaken or strengthen the bonds, "Space" brings the reader right into the thick of things with the very first chapter. Enjoying a celebration and looking forward to their “golden years,” Dan and Deede Stowe are blindsided by a call that announces their daughter Faith’s drug overdose.

Then we are catapulted back in time to their lives in the beginning of their marriage. Looking ahead with hope to creating a family, they are disappointed over and
Louise Graham
Space is written by Emily Sue Harvey and published by Story Plant.

Married for over 35 years, Deede and Dan Stowe are a typical American couple who whilst not rich have been able to put a little by for their retirement. All their early married life Deede and Dan tried so desperately for a child of their own. Just as they were about to look into Adoption options, their miracle child, Faith is born.

Their world is turned upside down twenty something years later when Faith has to move back in and the
Books to the Sky
Check out more reviews at www.bookstothesky.com

Originally, I had this book rated as a 3. But the more I thought about it, the more opinions and thoughts I had about this book and I decided to bump it up to a 4. This book is full of religious undertones but it wasn't preachy, which was awesome.

Deede and her husband Dan struggle to have a child for years. They miraculously conceive Faith (after many failed fertility treatments). They never have any other children.

Because they wanted a child so bad
Space is set in the southern states of USA. It depicts a couple, deeply in-love, who are torn apart – both in themselves and from each other – by their daughter. The novel opens with a touching scene of family unity, underpinned by Deede’s awareness of her daughter’s absence. The contrast between the unity and the following panic concerning their daughter’s well-being when they learn she has overdosed sets up the tone for the rest of the novel.

Through the spiritual voice of Deede, Emily Sue Harv
Alyssa
I am confused on how I should feel about this book. I took a journey with the Stowe family through an amazing labyrinth of twist and turns, and I felt the emotions that went on in the family. I was worried reading this that it may bring up some tough memories of mine, but since the point of view wasn't the same as mine, it gave me insight rather then sorrow. The point of view was that of the mother and how she handled her daughter recovering from drug abuse and how she also viewed her husband's ...more
Aimee
Space is the story of one families struggle with a child addicted to drugs. Dan and Deede Stowe are a happily married couple who are about to begin their retirement years together. They have been looking forward to this time with just the two of them. Unfortunately their daughter, Faith, is spiraling out of control with a drug addiction and has no where else to go but home. This is a heartbreaking look at the damage that drugs do to the user and to the family dealing with and trying to help that ...more
Dani Moore
A moving story, tough to read, of how a family coped or didn't cope with the descent into drugs and all that goes with them. Faith, the miracle child, ached for, yearned for, turns her back on all that she has been raised to believe and lies, steals, from her parents and her family. She even loses her own child. We see how her mother tries to find a way to pull her out of her private hell. If you have ever had a friend or family member lost to drugs, this will be hard to read, but valuable in th ...more
Lauren
"Space" by Emily Sue Harvey was a heartwarming family drama story. It follows the trials of a family dealing with their "miracle child's" addiction to perscription and other illegal drugs. Told from the point of view of Deede, a loving, patient mother, this story brings to light how an addiction effects more than just one person, it effects a whole family. Deede's struggle between love and care for her daughter and pushing her to get better will strike a chord with anyone who has ever wondered, ...more
Tanja
Engrossing

Emily Sue Harvey did more than develope characters. She created people. People I could relate to, people I might know. The story was so engrossing that I often forgot that I was reading fiction.

Dan and Deede Stout prayed for a child. After years of trying they were blessed with a daughter. The perfect daughter. Until she was introduced to drugs.

Space takes you on the journey that Dan and Deede take to save their daughter. It's a wonderful story and a must read for anyone who believes
Cindy
Space is not a book I would pick up on my own but it was a very interesting read. This work of fiction, told in first person, is a very convincing account of dealing with drug addiction. In fact, it is so convincingly told, that I found myself getting sucked into the story, believing it was true. I needed to remind myself that it’s fiction. The ending is well-told and the reader never has a clue whether it will be a tragedy or not. A solid read. Just keep telling yourself, it’s only a book.
Heather Siani
Space was a wonderful read. The subject matter was handled in a great way. I especially enjoyed towards the end when the readers were opened up to Faith's side of things and her perspective. I found myself frustrated at times reading the story because I wanted the parents to use "tough love" but I understood them not wanting to give up. Thank you Emily Sue Harvey for an inspirational read.

Note: I was given this book by the publisher to review but the opinions are strictly my own.
Frances
The story opens with Faith as an adult with a failed marriage, a child and a devastating drug habit, returning home to live. Dan and Deede are ready to live out their dream retirement. This now becomes impossible. Keeping Faith out of jail and clean is costing them everything. This is a truly honest,vivid look at the cost of drug addiction and family. This could have been a very depressing book. Instead, while being heart wrenching, it is very inspiring. * A full review is on my blog.
Lora
Wow this book is amazing! The story is written in a way that I bet everyone knows someone who this or something similar has happened to. This couple who are getting ready to enter their retirement years have to take responsibility for their drug addicted miracle child. Taking care of her needs nearly bankrupt them & put a strain on their relationship as well as the relationship with family. Do yourself a favor & read this book. I promise you won't regret it.
Old_airman
Wonderful tale of a dysfunctional family told by the mother of an addicted daughter. It may be a story of the daughter, but mother, father, aunts and cousins all have their share of problems causing the daughter deeper into the darkness. Their faith in each other and in God in times brings hope and healing.
Martin Maenza
For my review please visit my blog: Martin's View: Space.
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Michele Knierim
Michele Knierim marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Mar 08, 2015
Alicia Moore
Alicia Moore marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Tricia
Tricia marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Emily Sue Harvey’s writing to make a difference. Her upbeat stories have appeared in dozens of anthologies including “Chicken Soup for the Soul,” “Chocolate for Women,” “From Eulogy to Joy,” “A Father’s Embrace,” “True Story,” “Compassionate Friends Magazine,” and “Woman’s World.” Emily Sue served as president of Southeastern Writers Association in 2008-2009. Her first novel, Song of Renewal, publ ...more
More about Emily Sue Harvey...
Song of Renewal Unto These Hills Homefires Flavors Cocoon