Start by marking “Screw Business As Usual” as Want to Read:
Screw Business As Usual

Screw Business As Usual

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  870 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
Can we bring more meaning to our lives and help change the world at the same time? Richard Branson, at his brilliant and motivating best, reveals how with his exciting new vision for the future. It is time to turn capitalism upside down – to shift our values, to switch from a profit focus to caring for people, communities and the planet.

With inspiration for everyone, Screw
Published December 1st 2011 by Virgin Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Screw Business As Usual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Screw Business As Usual

State of Wonder by Ann PatchettIn the Night Kitchen by Maurice SendakBehind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine BooTwilight of the Elites by Christopher L. HayesMoonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer
Colbert Report Book List
60th out of 65 books — 23 voters
The Art of Startup Fundraising by Alejandro CremadesThe Power of Habit by Charles DuhiggThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThe Suitcase Entrepreneur by Natalie SissonDecisive by Chip Heath
Work Rebooted
49th out of 83 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Kim Pallister
Nov 07, 2012 Kim Pallister rated it liked it
I'm a big Richard Branson fan-boy, and really liked his first book, Losing My Virginity (which I highly recommend). Since then, I've given a few of his other books a try. I gave Screw Business as Usual a try this week. It was very quick to get through so I thought I'd post a short review.

The book is about the idea that capitalism can, in addition to pursuing the goal of making money, attempt to do good.

On the plus side, it covers a number of interesting cases, some of which are Virgin enterpri
Cathy Allen
So now comes Sir Richard with a critique of modern business practices that only he could produce. In exhorting readers to "Screw Business as Usual" Branson is calling upon us to reinvent capitalism in a more ethical, more just, and less destructive way. His primary theme here is that Capitalism 24902 (named for the number of miles in our globe's circumference) must serve the world and not deplete it. "Doing good is good for business" he says over and over... and then he proves his case. He tells ...more
Sealove
Feb 03, 2014 Sealove rated it it was amazing
Excellent!

Bravo Richard! It is these type of ideas that truly bring about change. But not just change for the sake of it… Real change and real passion to see a different tomorrow than the one we are experiencing today. The idea of the elders and the business leaders is one who's time has come… And if each of us will take one step, we will all move closer to reality that includes us all. Not just the ones were well-off, and not just the ones who can speak with the loudest voices. This book is abo
Daniel Taylor
In the old days, it was enough for entrepreneurs to spend half their life making money and the other half giving it away. But the business game has changed. Now, to succeed, you need to make a profit as you do good.

Richard Branson introduces the idea of Capitalism 24902 (the distance in miles of the circumference of the earth) and tells story after story of businesses that have at their heart the concept of doing good. You need to accept the global reality of business and thus the need for leade
Russ King
Jun 27, 2012 Russ King rated it really liked it
This book is as inspiring as it is irritating. It's like swimming through thick treacle a lot of the time but there are enough inspirational ideas and case studies to make it worthwhile. Branson mentions how wonderful Virgin is at least three times every page which gets a tad tedious and I would have liked more details about some of the examples from other organisations.

However, Branson's enthusiasm comes through like a blazing sun and he has an impressive record of results with organisations th
Susan
This book was good and I think challenging in terms of the ideas presented. However with all of the examples branson uses, there is no shortage of inspiration for doing good for society, and the environment while also benefiting your businesses. I actually feel quite excited after finishing this book and while reading it.
Sometimes though i found the writing annoying because Branson is very like this is how it is and how it should be for everyone. But in saying that I felt like he had quite a br
Russell Turner
Jun 24, 2014 Russell Turner rated it it was amazing
An inspirational look at how businesses large and small are coming to realise that it is possible to operate sustainably, ethically, make a healthy profit (in a lot of cases increase profits) while simultaneously protecting and/or improving the environment. It is full of examples of how capitalism and entrepreneurship can create win-win situations and can change / save the lives of hundreds of thousands of people worldwide.
And as many of the examples in the book serve to illustrate, those busin
Dalila TM
Jan 03, 2016 Dalila TM rated it liked it
-It focuses on that forgotten area of business: To help others. The constant focus on "profit" had made some business cruel machines of money, forgetting about the world where they exist.
-Branson's writing is very fresh, easy to read, enjoyable, and friendly. Through many examples/ stories/anecdotes he makes us see the importance of helping others, no matter how famous, rich, and successful you are. We all get worried about our world and we all have to do something about it.
Very down to earth.
Andrea James
Jul 12, 2015 Andrea James rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, general
I went for the audiobook version and I thought it was an upbeat commuter companion. It's not a work of literary genius but I thought (at least the audio version) deserved four stars because the rambling style (which some reviewers did not like) made it quite casually listen-able and pleasant.

His zest for life is infectious and one leaves with a feeling of being inspired to "just do it!" and work towards one's goals.

So screw it, I'm going to end this review and do something (that hopefully) benef
Razvan Zamfirescu
Spicuiri din recenzia finala care se gaseste pe blogul meu

..........................................
Dacă vrei să înveți business din cartea de față, nu-i cazul. Pentru că Branson în Afacerile, pentru oameni nu-și propune să învețe oamenii care nu vor face niciodată vreo afacere cum să facă una, ci mai degrabă să arate care-i trendul pe care oamenii serioși de afaceri îl adoptă în zilele noastre: afaceri făcute de oameni puternici, bogați și cu multă influență în interesul omenirii.

Da, sună pre
Shayan Kh
Feb 18, 2016 Shayan Kh rated it liked it

I'll summarize this book for you, so spoilers I guess:
"Capitalism can be the best thing. Doing good for others is actually better for yourself. We at the Virgin group has done a ton of good. And I (Branson) know a lot of good people."

That is it.
This is the first book by Richard Branson that I've read, and I don't like it. I'm not gonna judge the writer by this book alone because I've read that his other books are way better than this one.
This book isn't for everyone. Sure it has a
Andrew
Dec 25, 2012 Andrew rated it it was ok
This made me very cynical. There's nothing worse than reading about rich white guys extolling business ethics to reach untapped markets, no matter how positive a spin is placed on it.

FYI: the fact that you can access a Coca Cola in even the poorest of the poor or third world locations is NOT a marvel, when pharma extort the masses.

Capitalism doesn't need turning upside down. It needs honest people running honest business, not rich do-gooders running around exploiting untapped third world markets
Sandy
Feb 19, 2012 Sandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, 2012
Awesome book! I chose the audio book and it was narrated by Richard himself. He has such a great outlook on life which shows in his outlook of business, community and environment.

He starts off by talking about how he got started; how he learned at an early age the power of communication. He discusses some specific businesses and business models who have looked at 'community' with as much importance as profit. He has joined with many people - celebrities, politicians, world leaders and business
Chris
Richard Branson is quite an amazing character in everything he has done. I had never really looked into his life before reading this one and I was quite impressed with how he got started. A simple endeavor that allowed him to voice his opinions but also show the world important causes that needed attention. From a simple student run magazine, he was able to build an entire empire from that.

The contents of this book are one that will inspire others to work towards a global good in their companies
Indiabookstore
Jan 08, 2013 Indiabookstore rated it liked it
That's 2.5 stars actually.

Screw ‘Business As Usual’ is the 372 page outcome of the awakened social responsibility in the ever energetic entrepreneur, Richard Branson. Branson emphasizes here on how ‘doing good is good for businesses’. He not only asserts so but also justifies his words by giving many examples. He also warns people who do business solely for profits that they would cease to exist in the long run.

In the preface, Branson’s house in his private island was burnt down by Hurricane Ire
Hector Hernandez
Mar 30, 2014 Hector Hernandez rated it really liked it
Without doubt, Richard Branson accomplishes to gather business foundations with new ways of doing business more sustainable in a 360 dimension, all this with the demonstration cases of success of entrepreneurs who are pioneering in that way. (Environmental and social) Two quotes that might summary the book: 1) Doing good is good for business 2) Never accept the unacceptable

However, I enjoyed very much the personality of Branson. He shows to be smooth and courageous person at the same time, perse
Edward Wong
May 29, 2013 Edward Wong rated it liked it
This is the third book I read that was written by Richard Branson. From the playful title I was expected for his sharing of some interesting while innovative ideas in starting up or running businesses but it turns out I was wrong. Yes, it does talk about business management and operations but not the way I expected.

I was slightly disappointed in how the book was written. it is fairly an one side story. Almost all of the cases talked about were related to what have been done in the Virgin Group o
Peter Backx
"Screw business as usual" (Dutch: "Zo niet, dan toch") is Richard Branson's plea to change what businesses are all about. It should not be about money first. Business should be about doing the right thing, for your employees, for your customers, for the world. The money will follow.

It's an interesting read with lots and lots of examples. Ranging from large businesses like Sir Branson's own to small and local businesses. Some will be applicable to your situation others not so much.

You should rea
Nick Bond
Nov 30, 2015 Nick Bond rated it really liked it
Branson brings out an inspirational bit of literature which seeks to connect realistic and tangible approaches to create not only successful but also sustainable business.

The only beef was (and I may be just reading into it the wrong way) the pseudo (forced?) humility Branson writes-in, while mentioning how he's lazing in a bath in his London mansion, or sitting with a rock star and Mandela on his island etc. It doesn't devalue the work he has achieved or ideas yet I found at times I was a litt
Ian Bebbington
Good review in Economist 3 Dec 2011. I like the sentiment so will take the time to enter edits in Shelfari so others may find it. The book is certainly an extensive catalogue of projects, it does not however provide any focus to these activitiesor attempt any intellectual underpinning or objective measurement of the array of activities it outlines.
Fayssal
Sep 07, 2015 Fayssal rated it it was ok
By reading this book, i always had the feeling that all the world is Magic and all people are doing good
and helping each other without benefits, like i'm watching a movie or excatly a disneyland cartoon with always a happy ending.
So,if i will choose a title to this book,it will be : Richard adventure's in wonderland.
I think it's more appropriate.
Mialuckyy
Mar 27, 2015 Mialuckyy rated it really liked it
The book is about Entrepreneur Richard Branson who owns the Virgin Airline. He do charity work with his business earnings and talks about other businesses and people who do charities with their business and money. It is mainly about doing business which has good impact for the world rather than destroying it. A very good and entertaining read.
Oliveoyl306
Oct 20, 2014 Oliveoyl306 rated it liked it
I found the book inspiring on the one hand as Branson's way of doing business so that everyone wins (including the environment) seems to me to be the way to go. But I found it also a little frustrating as I am not in business and have no money to invest in 'green' companies. Great book for business people looking for a way to improve the way they do business.
Catherine Oughtibridge
Sep 04, 2012 Catherine Oughtibridge rated it really liked it
It’s not often that the first thought I have on finishing a book it that I have to read it again.

When I was in my second year of University, I did a module on global warming. It was the last lecture on a Thursday afternoon and I’d cycle home feeling depressed. The lecturer was a cheerful bouncy young man who was keen to be there. He was easy to listen to and I looked forward to sitting in the lectures genuinely being interested in what I was hearing. The content however was enough to knock me i
Hatem
Feb 27, 2016 Hatem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite extensive book about the new social business models directly supported by Richard Branson and Virgin Unite. Lot of anecdotes and inspiring stories, but also too many case studies that might make the reading burdensome sometimes.
Looking forward to the next inspiring book by the Virgin guru!
Max Micheelsen
Dec 07, 2014 Max Micheelsen rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable business book. The key take away point, was that you can certainly make a lucrative business, that aims to have a positive impact on the rest of the world at the same time. This is illustrated with many inspiring examples from the real world. Richard's ability to create, act and never stop trying new things is as well very motivating.
Nick Grant
Aug 26, 2014 Nick Grant rated it liked it
Bransons book aren't to bad. This was my second Branson read. He covers a lot of different ideas around socially responsible business which is a great angle, but you can't help but feel the entire read that of course it is easy for him to think like that with billions backing him.
Georgev
Jan 22, 2013 Georgev rated it it was ok
It was very distracting hearing the sound of RB patting himself on the back at every turn of a page. The book is basically a public relations sticker. Yes, I am happy to see a person of his vast wealth involved in so many philanthropic and sustainable business actions. How a bout a little grace and turning down the horn toots a tad. I guess it wasn't what I was looking for. I have been invested in sustainable seeking corporations for decades so.. Didn't the BeeGees give millions starting way bac ...more
Rikki Ayers
I love Richard Branson's approach to the world of business. While some bits made me flinch, maybe out of jealousy because I don't own even one island, I learned a lot about how a number of my favourite socially responsible businesses started.
Bart Van
Jun 05, 2015 Bart Van rated it did not like it
I can not really be bothered to write a proper review for this thing, but I am just using this space to note that exposing the world to this junk should be considered a violation of human rights.

10/10 would read again
  • Likeable Business: Why Today's Consumers Demand More and How Leaders Can Deliver
  • Sexy Little Numbers: How to Grow Your Business Using the Data You Already Have
  • Leading the Starbucks Way: 5 Principles for Connecting with Your Customers, Your Products and Your People
  • The Synergist: How to Lead Your Team to Predictable Success
  • How to Change Minds: The Art of Influence without Manipulation
  • Can't Buy Me Like
  • It's Not What You Sell, It's What You Stand For: Why Every Extraordinary Business is Driven by Purpose
  • Leaders Open Doors: A Radically Simple Leadership Approach to Lift People, Profits, and Performance
  • Generations at Work: Managing the Clash of Veterans, Boomers, Xers, Nexters in Your Workplace
  • The Art of Negotiation: How to Improvise Agreement in a Chaotic World
  • Left Brain, Right Stuff: How Leaders Make Winning Decisions
  • Extreme Trust: Honesty as a Competitive Advantage
  • The Business of Belief: How the World's Best Marketers, Designers, Salespeople, Coaches, Fundraisers, Educators, Entrepreneurs and Other Leaders Get Us to Believe
  • Confidence: How Winning Streaks and Losing Streaks Begin and End
  • Icons and Idiots: Straight Talk on Leadership
  • Collaborate or Perish!: Reaching Across Boundaries in a Networked World
  • Power Listening: Mastering the Most Critical Business Skill of All
  • The Spirit of Kaizen: Creating Lasting Excellence One Small Step at a Time
Sir Richard Charles Nicholas Branson is an English business magnate, best known for his Virgin brand of over 360 companies. Branson's first successful business venture was at age 16, when he published a magazine called Student. He then set up a record mail-order business in 1970. In 1972, he opened a chain of record stores, Virgin Records, later known as Virgin Megastores and rebranded as zavvi in ...more
More about Richard Branson...

“For those who think business exists to make a profit, I suggest they think again. Business makes a profit to exist. Surely it must exist for some higher, nobler purpose than that’ - Ray Anderson, founder of Interface Inc.” 1 likes