Start by marking “Program or Be Programmed: Ten Commands for a Digital Age” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Program or Be Programm...

Douglas Rushkoff

Program or Be Programmed: Ten Commands for a Digital Age

3.71  ·  Rating Details ·  1,273 Ratings  ·  151 Reviews
The debate over whether the Net is good or bad for us fills the airwaves and the blogosphere. But for all the heat of claim and counter-claim, the argument is essentially beside the point: It's here; it's everywhere. The real question is, do we direct technology, or do we let ourselves be directed by it and those who have mastered it? ?Choose the former, ? writes Rushkoff, ...more
Audio CD
Published by Betterlisten! (first published November 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Program or Be Programmed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Program or Be Programmed

Stephany
Dec 04, 2010 Stephany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First, the good. Rushkoff makes important points, and I thought the best were made in the final chapter that bears the title of the book. Rushkoff breathes new life into the importance of controlling the means of production. Unlike other tools (the woodworking hand tools and knitting needles of which I am so very fond, for instance) software is programmed. Well, obviously. But this matters because programming is a process; the code we use in the form of software is the end result of a particular ...more
Pam
Feb 16, 2015 Pam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The ideas in this book are 5 star worthy though the execution a 3 but the ideas are very important, so worth the read. Each of us as well as humanity need to have a deliberate relationship with technology, Rushkoff argues. Let us be clear Rushkoff is no crackpot he is degreed, learned, and thoughtful (his bio - http://www.rushkoff.com/about/). He definitively makes the argument that the debate over the societal value of the internet and technology is irrelevant (he states the obvious, “it is her ...more
Rob
Dec 10, 2011 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rob by: Amy
Shelves: philosophy, 2011

Right from the first page, Douglas Rushkoff's book Program or Be Programmed reminded me of Nicholas Carr's, The Shallows [1] -- only with a broader scope and more buzzwords and a less gloomy appraisal of the subject. I read The Shallows last year, and though it was interesting, it was also overly dramatic, and was too timid in its speculations -- and thus it failed to draw fully-baked conclusions or make substantive predictions. We walk away with Carr's Neural Doomsday:

The price we pay to assu
Cori
Apr 02, 2011 Cori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what I expected of this book, but it was less technical then I thought it was going to be. It is a quick read with a number of thoughtful anecdotes. Some of the "commands" seemed like etiquette lessons for a digital age, but overall I thought the book was insightful.

I found the last two commands, Openness and Purpose, the most interesting. If his motivation for writing this book was to spark more of an interest in programming he has succeeded with me!

One of his strongest points was
Marc Weidenbaum
This book definitely makes more sense when read alongside the recent ones by Kevin Kelly and by Jaron Lanier. Like them, it's something of a correction on the tech-evangelism that has marked much of its author's earlier works. If Lanier's is a rangy diatribe, and Kelly's a concertedly developed argument, Rushkoff's is a list: it's 10 ideas, laid out plainly for a common reader. The last of these 10 ideas ("commands," a joke on the 10 commandments), the one from which the book takes its title, is ...more
Ashley
Sep 06, 2012 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book Douglas Rushkoff not only discusses what it means to be a participant in this new, fast-paced digital world, but he also outlines ten rules (or "commandments" as he calls them) for for us to use so we don't get swept off our feet in media streams. Rushkoff takes his time delving into the possible repercussions of Time, Place, Choice, Complexity, Scale, Identity, Social, Fact, Openness, and Purpose.

Rushkoff begins his chapter by defining what he calls the "computer biases" concerning
Dani
First of all, I had to read this book for a communications course and I wasn't expecting to enjoy it, so perhaps I was already biased. (I did love the course, though, so maybe that evens it out? Oh well, irrelevant.)

Overall, I thought that Rushkoff made his point in each chapter within just a few sentences, and the rest was all just fluff. He seemed to write the same things over and over again, just using different words. The book wasn't long by any means, but it definitely could have been much
Eiki
Dec 05, 2011 Eiki rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dear God this is an awful book: obvious, tedious, puffed up with empty words and self-importance. If "Ten Commands for a Digital Age" sounds like the title of a blog post to you, that's because it should have been one: there's just about enough ideas and specific examples here to sustain a longish blog post, no more.

Reading this short-but-not-short-enough book in its entirety has been like chewing through a loaf of damp white-bread trying to get to one tasty chocolate chip buried in the middle.
Tamas Kalman
Dec 20, 2010 Tamas Kalman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thought-provoking starting with a much more conservative approach as a resolution. I'd love to see more futuristic and modern approaches to resolve the challenges which are segmented in this book instead of trying to eliminate these problems which in my eyes aren't really problems but challenges and options which we can adapt and use for our own development and purposes. Although this book can be useful for anyone who is new to these subjects and might be even inspirational.
Jen Jen
Some really excellent considerations here, as we continue to move into the digital age.
Kim Pallister
I headed into Douglas Rushkoff's book expecting it to like it. I've read some of his writing and find I agree with some of his major ideas. As the title of the book implies, it centers around the idea that the more of our lives we place in the hands of technology, the more important it is that we understand how the underlying tech works, and if necessary, be capable of changing it.

However, I was quite disappointed with the book. While some of his ideas are along the right lines, he sort of circl
Eric Phetteplace
May 26, 2011 Eric Phetteplace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lis-web
Rushkoff gives a concise & accessible introduction to so many issues of our digital era, from filter bubbles to social media to copyright. The book offers several commandments for living a healthier life & taking advantage of computers. In sum, ways to make computers useful to you rather than bending to their will. It would make us a better society if everyone was forced to read it in junior high.
All of that said, I found some of Rushkoff's contentions a bit strained (the fact that binar
Measie
Oct 23, 2010 Measie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended. A quick read, but thought-provoking.

I bought this book partially because I was interested in the way it was published. The author deliberately chose to publish with a small, independent publisher and to sell the book through the publisher's website only. He promoted it through Boing Boing and other sites. The price was a bit steep for such a small book, but I was happy to know that more of the money was going to the creator and an independent business, rather than a big corp
Yitzchok Lowy
Nov 17, 2014 Yitzchok Lowy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have long been thinking about the shifts that digital medias have been creating in life and society, in many contexts. One of the major questions i always had was if the use of ifferent tools or media for communication and other tasks really makes a difference in the human aspect of it, or is it just the same book in a different cover. I have mostly been on the side that it's all the same same, only peope get disorientated from seeing the same things in a different setting.

Rushkoff introduces
Kip
Dec 07, 2010 Kip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reasoning isn't always clear as crystal or solid as a rock, but he adds new dimensions to things I was already largely in agreement with and inspires some change in my passive approach to digital life.
Gregory Kaplan
Apr 15, 2014 Gregory Kaplan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To the point about technology having a "mind" or bias of its own. Yet media has always had these biases: compressing space, extending time, de-personalizing, etc. Now faster and more extensively. I'm still not sure what programming of code has to do with "programming" of a social nature.
Bryan
Feb 23, 2011 Bryan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have no idea why I forced myself to finish this substance-less punditry. It gets two stars because it has a list of good beginning programming resources in the back, and the book might be a good text for high school media studies or technology class.
Ken27701
Mar 06, 2011 Ken27701 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really disappointed in this one, as I love and believe in the titular idea. The contents are a series of pronouncements which, IMHO, don't really stand up to scrutiny.
Toby
Oct 17, 2010 Toby is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I've been feeling this meme coming for a while. leave it to Rushkoff to jump on it first.
Clelia
Feb 10, 2016 Clelia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Practical, radical, insightful. Thomas Paine's "Common Sense" for the Internet. Read this book!
Mat
Jun 01, 2014 Mat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
Not so much a treatise on coding, more a sociological examination of the effects of the internet.

Here are some quotes:

Political organizers who believed the Internet would consolidate their constituencies find that net petitions and self-referential blogging now serve as substitutes for action.

A news media that saw in information networks new opportunities for citizen journalism and responsive, twenty-four-hour news gathering has grown sensationalist, unprofitable, and devoid of useful facts.

[T]h
Nelson Ramos
Jan 03, 2016 Nelson Ramos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Program or Be Programmed (2010) é um livro escrito por Douglas Rushkoff e é um livro que analisa e aponta mandamentos, mais concretamente dez, sobre o que significa viver num mundo digital como aquele que temos atualmente. E consequentemente, tenta chamar à nossa consciência conselhos de como podemos nos ajustar melhor a ele.

O autor é escritor, professor e documentalista que foca as maneiras como as pessoas, culturas e instituições criam, partilham e influenciam todos os seus valores, sempre sob
Ashleigh Baumgardner
The points that Rushkoff makes here about technology resonated with my own observations of how tech has impacted me and the people around me. The importance of setting boundaries with our technology, not letting it become a distraction machine, giving our real life relationships precedent, are all things I completely agree with and I enjoyed seeing someones else's take on explaining why.

Rushkoff's thoughts also included historical details that I had not considered from previous tech revolutions
Mark Steed
Program or be programmed: Ten Commands for a Digital Age - Book Review

Over the past twenty years most of us have spent a significant part of our working and leisure hours struggling with varying degrees of success to keep up with the pace of technological change. We have had little time to step back to reflect on the impact that it is all having on our lives. In Program or be programmed Douglas Rushkoff presses the pause button to outline Ten Commands for a Digital Age - suggestions for how we c
Kaye
Nov 06, 2010 Kaye rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kaye by: Meg Backus
Magdelanye
You know when you're watching a TV commercial, but chances are you don't know when you're living in a virtual one. p8

If this concerns you, read this book.
If it doesn't concern you, then you really need to read this book.

Only by understanding the biases of the media through which we engage with the world can we differentiate between what we are and intend, and what the machines we are using intend for us p27

DR's main point is the necessity of mindfulness regarding our use of tech, and how easy
Gary Schroeder
Oct 09, 2011 Gary Schroeder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worried about the effect that ever expanding information technologies are having on global culture, our personal lives and how we interact with one another? Well, Douglas Rushkoff is (and if you’re not, you either haven’t been paying attention or you’re too young to remember the pre-internet world). “Program or Be Programmed” offers some timely reflections on the state of what’s happening to us now. Maybe future readers will look back and laugh...or maybe they’ll look back and say at least someo ...more
Chad Bullard
Sep 04, 2012 Chad Bullard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone, especially new to computers
Recommended to Chad by: Professor Nosratallah Nezafati
If you have never programmed a computer before, then after reading Douglas Rushkoff’s “Program Or Be Programmed Ten Commands For A Digital Age” you will be compelled to consider it. I have never written my own programs before, but I have been interested in doing it. Now that I have read Douglas Rushkoff’s book I feel even more compelled than ever.
This book is easy to read and goes into describing the biases built into the software that computers use. The only real way to resolve these biases is
Kami
This is a great and not-too-weighty book encapsulating a topic I consider particularly important: the need for us to understand the inner workings of our computers, at least deeply enough that we can use them to create our own computer-driven tools instead of relying on the tools that others build.

Rushkoff coherently points out how our brains and lives are changed by the tools and paradigms that we develop. He also shows the sequence of examples from our history of paradigm-shifting inventions t
Hannah G
Jan 04, 2014 Hannah G rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite the Orwellian overtones of his title, Rushkoff makes some incisive and pessimistic assessments of the state of the Internet, according to me anyhow, and generalizes the horrors (balanced with some bright spots) among its current societal effects very well.

His vision of how we the human collective can better steer and reform this technology through actually understanding how it "works" (is coded) is an interesting and compelling one; the book is well written, and entertainingly construct
  • Is the Internet Changing the Way You Think?: The Net's Impact on Our Minds and Future
  • Consent of the Networked: The Worldwide Struggle For Internet Freedom
  • Born Digital: Understanding the First Generation of Digital Natives
  • The Net Delusion: The Dark Side of Internet Freedom
  • Cognitive Surplus: Creativity and Generosity in a Connected Age
  • From Counterculture to Cyberculture: Stewart Brand, the Whole Earth Network, and the Rise of Digital Utopianism
  • Content: Selected Essays on Technology, Creativity, Copyright, and the Future of the Future
  • Being Digital
  • Small Pieces Loosely Joined: A Unified Theory Of The Web
  • Virtually You: The Dangerous Powers of the E-Personality
  • What Technology Wants
  • The Information Diet: A Case for Conscious Consumption
  • The Anarchist in the Library: How the Clash Between Freedom and Control Is Hacking the Real World and Crashing the System
  • Convergence Culture: Where Old and New Media Collide
  • Reinventing Discovery: The New Era of Networked Science
  • The Art of Immersion: How the Digital Generation Is Remaking Hollywood, Madison Avenue, and the Way We Tell Stories
  • Spam: A Shadow History of the Internet
  • Hamlet's BlackBerry: A Practical Philosophy for Building a Good Life in the Digital Age

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Douglas Rushkoff is a New York-based writer, columnist and lecturer on technology, media and popular culture.
More about Douglas Rushkoff...

“We are looking at a society increasingly dependent on machines, yet decreasingly capable of making or even using them effectively.” 12 likes
“Our digital experiences are out of body. This biases us toward depersonalised behaviour in an environment where one’s identity can be a liability. But the more anonymously we engage with others, the less we experience the human repercussions of what we say and do. By resisting the temptation to engage from the apparent safety of anonymity, we remain accountable and present - and are much more likely to bring our humanity with us into the digital realm” 10 likes