Start by marking “Crossfire” as Want to Read:
Crossfire

Crossfire

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  341 ratings  ·  35 reviews
A harrowing tale of murder and retribution.
Young, pretty Junko Aoki has an extraordinary ability-she can start fires through sheer force of will. When she begins using her gift of pyrokinesis to take the law into her own hands and punish violent criminals, her executions attract the attention of two very different groups: the Guardians, a secretive vigilante organization
Published January 13th 2006 by Kodansha (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Crossfire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crossfire

Norwegian Wood by Haruki MurakamiThe Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki MurakamiKafka on the Shore by Haruki MurakamiBattle Royale by Koushun TakamiHard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami
Best Japanese Books
111th out of 393 books — 1,830 voters
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki MurakamiKafka on the Shore by Haruki MurakamiNorwegian Wood by Haruki MurakamiSnow Country by Yasunari KawabataKokoro by Sōseki Natsume
Japanese Literature
79th out of 222 books — 161 voters

More lists with this book...

Sandi
Very readable story of vigilante justice set in Tokyo with a touch of the paranormal. This started off a bit slowly and it took me awhile to really get engaged with the story but by the end I was burning through the pages and thought Miyuki Miyabe did a great job pulling all the plot strands together into a satisfying ending.
R.
Although "Crossfire" is about pyrokinesis, it also touches on aimless youth, the criminal justice system, class distinctions, and obstacles women face in traditionally male-dominated fields. Chikako and Junko are both sympathetic in their own ways - Junko seems cold in the beginning, but the more chances she has to open up to people, the more compassion she starts to feel, and the more she questions her own actions. Meanwhile, Chikako is methodical and content with her quiet life, but unable to ...more
Ursula
Crossfire is a Japanese novel that I read because it is on the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die list. I was a bit skeptical about why it would be on the list, since it looked like just a run-of-the-mill mystery novel. Usually the mysteries that make it onto the list, though, are there because they provide a certain kind of insight into a culture or a time period, so I had that in mind while I read.

Junko is our main character, and we find out early on that she has a supernatural power: pyr
David B
Maybe more like 3.5 stars. Junko Aoki is a lonely young woman who uses her pyrokinetic abilities to avenge the victims of violent crime. A chance encounter with a gang of teenage psychopaths leads her on a personal crusade that brings her to the attention of the police and a secret vigilante organization called the Guardians.

Despite the cliched premise, this novel maintains interest, even though it felt a bit too long. Author Miyuki Miyabe presents interesting characters and some effective surpr
Mike
I picked up this book at random for a light yet entertaining read. Unfortunately for an action / thriller I didn't feel like it was very exciting or entertaining, so not worth picking up. I also had a few other problems with this book…

*SPOILERS BELOW*

Besides feeling like this novel wasn't really entertaining, my main problem is with one of the central mysteries / twists in the novel. First of all it wasn't much of a surprise that the ex-cop working for the vigilante group (sorry already forgot h
Drew
An okay read. I liked her novel Shadow Family but didn't like another of hers called All She Was Worth. I've had this book on my shelf for awhile and turned to it in hopes of inspiring my own writing. Japanese fiction really put a spark under me for what I wanted to write, especially Natsuo Kirino and Kenzo Kitakata. So, I picked Crossfire up and read it.

It's a little sci-fi, a little mystery and a little police procedural. The plot was a little too neatly wrapped up, with characters convenientl
Novia
I visited JF-Library (Japan Foundation) about 2 weeks ago and I finally found the corner where they put all mystery, horror and suspense books. I was overwhelmed by this discovery. From the title and the summary on the cover…they all sound like great books. I couldn’t decide which one I am going to borrow.

Out of impulse I chose Crossfire by Miyuki Miyabe. I honestly chose this book because it reminds me of Stephen king’s Firestarter (tho I haven’t read it but I know the outline of the story). An
Kazuko Kato
After watching the movie version of the book I have decided that...
The characterization of Aoki Junko in the book was much better than the one in the movie. In the movie she seemed to be totally different from the character in the book which is a shame because in the movie many of the unique traits of her personality were lost. Never mind the fact that I thought the movie was terrible and that the portrayal of Junko was poor. I can say that I can sympathize with Junko (in the book) in many ways
Sensitivemuse
This book was all right. I liked how they showed both sides of the story and both point of views. It was a nice even exchange between chapters and it went smooth for the most part. I have to admit though, although the beginning of the book really got me it just started to fall short and falls flat midway and I found myself wondering what's going to happen next and how soon because to be honest, I was starting to get a little bored of the book. Not to mention besides the main characters, there we ...more
Asma
Ever since she was a child, Junko knew she had the power to start fires at will. Now as an adult, she has to take the utmost precaution not to accidentally incinerate her surroundings. But by chance, she happens upon a violent kidnapping, and Junko unleashes a trail of burned bodies in the wake of her mission: save a victim, and cleanse the world of evil. Her actions spark the interest of a secret vigilante group, and the Metropolitan Police, who are puzzled over the murders, but as detective Is ...more
Gerald Kinro
Miyabe borrows a page from Stephen King’s “Firestarter,” with the main characters being able to start fires at will. This is the only similarity. Miyabe covers not only the paranormal, but turns into a light mystery as well. Junko Aoki, a young woman, is capable of unleashing fire-based assaults by concentrating. In her personal war, she is on a crusade to avenge serious crimes that are becoming more prevalent in modern Japan. Chikako Ishizu is a middle-aged female detective working in arson inv ...more
Nan
This book was on the 1001 books list (yeah, I know, it's pathetic what a list whore I am). I'm not really sure why; it's basically Firestarter set in Tokyo.

Genre fiction really ain't my thing, primarily because it tends towards lines like, "She mused to herself" and lots of "with an [amused/aggravated/offended/etc. tone in her voice." This is no different, and though I wanted to blame the translation, after a while I couldn't. This should be a 2.5 rating, but you can't do that, and 2 stars doesn
Sophia
Sep 09, 2012 Sophia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sophia by: 1001 books you must read before you die
At first glance, the paranormal thriller Crossfire doesn’t seem like the type of book to make the list of 1001 books you must read before you die. Junko Aoki is a loner who can start fires with willpower alone; she sees herself as a vigilante “hired gun.” When she stumbles across the commission of a crime, she uses her powers to try to save a young kidnapped woman. Chikako Ishizu is a middle-aged detective on the arson squad trying to make sense of seemingly impossible deaths caused by fire. How ...more
David Bonesteel

Jerome
Emmanuel
La quatrième de couverture ne me disait vraiment rien, mais ce que j'ai déjà lu de Miyuki Miyabe m'ayant intéressé, j'ai lu ce livre. Le cocktail est assez étrange entre une enquête policière très classique, une société secrète et des pouvoirs surnaturels. J'ai ressenti un léger surdosage des superpouvoirs (c'est difficile de lesw contrôler, n'est-ce pas ?), mais sans que cela ne nuise à l'ambiance générale. Bref, pas mal mais j'ai préfèré le réalisme d'Une carte pour l'enfer.
Kylie
This is another fantastic suspenseful novel by Miyabe involving the paranormal and vigilante justice. It has interesting, likeable characters and a plot that builds with perfect timing. It is suspenseful, and yet still thoughtful. This is a book that shows a lot about Japanese culture and social problems, and that raises a lot of questions about crime and punishment. This author is very popular in Japan and I think should be a lot more popular in America.
Asa
I liked the ideas in thos book, about a young woman living in Tokyo who is a fire-starter and the middle-aged female arson investigator who tries to catch her after she starts killing people. The problem with the book is the way it is written, to me at least, with everything being presented to you as if the author didn't trust that her readers are able to figure out things for themselves.
Becky
This was all a bit Dan Brown for me. Lots of action, plenty of suspending belief, one dimensional characters and a plot that kept the pages turning but never really hooked you in. In fact, I hadn't really realised I'd read the climax until I got to the end, thanks to the inclusion of those annoying "book club questions" at the end. Perhaps this means it was badly translated. Anyway. So so.
Cynthia
Could be described as "Firestarter" meets a Japanese police procedural with a sophisticated vigilante group thrown in. It all works, sort of and I like that Miyabe takes those chances. The female arson detective grounds the story, but a few of the characters aren't just darkly shaded, which is ok, but annoying and glib. All She Was Worth for me was a stronger work.
Tom
I enjoyed the story more than the writing, or maybe the translation. While I don't read a huge number of translations this is the first one that I was conscious of the translation. There are many places where the dialog or wording seemed contrived to me and I would wonder if it was that way in the native Japanese or a result of the translation.
Sophie Goasguen
Un très bon roman qui se laisse lire.
Le style de l'auteur est irréprochable.
L'histoire accroche l'attention, car l'auteur fait côtoyer (de manière habile) deux genres littéraires: polar et fantastique. En prime, l'auteur nous offre une analyse sociologique des plus intéressante sur Tokyo et ses habitants.

A lire: la postface!!
Becky
A Japanese novel about a young woman named Junko who uses her pyrokinetic abilities to take revenge upon criminals, and a female detective named Chikako who investigates the case as the charred remains pile up. Not the most eloquent of writing (possibly something lost in translation?), but nevertheless I found the story quite compelling.
Sae-chan
I found myself not drawn to the mystery, or even the supernatural side of the story, but more to the characters and their struggles in judging their actions.

If I have the power to punish, do I also have the fairness to judge? If I let people do what they think is right, is it my fault if they decide wrong?
Tj
a decent enough story, i don't know if something was lost in translation, but it just wasn't well-written. the characters were pretty one-dimensional and the overarching mystery wasn't really all that compelling. once it was revealed, it was just meh. but i did finish it, so there's that!
Parallax
This book hit a lot of my buttons in what I like to read about. I don't think my current problems with my attention span did the book enough justice. It's got pyrokinesis, morally questionable vigilantes, a female detective, gangs, and secret societies.
Bellezza
An amazing mystery which ultimately asks the questions, "Is it ever all right to kill someone?" and "Is there ever a right reason for taking a life?" Very thought provoking, as well as an exciting work from the #1 best selling mystery writer in Japan.
Kathryn
A pyrokinetic vigilante takes on Tokyo's teen gangs in this tale by Japan's #1 bestselling mystery writer. Miyabe is no Ruth Rendell and her plots tend to stretch one's credulity, but this book made a much better impression than All She Was Worth.
Jia-yi
Started out with a great deal of promise but fizzled out at the end due to characters that never developed beyond their initial description in the earlier chapters.
Marshall
I kind of loved the fact that she was openly riffing on Stephen King's Firestarter. That book's an old favorite of mine, and a modern Japanese update is most welcome.
  • The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter
  • Quicksand
  • In Search Of A Distant Voice
  • Una comedia ligera
  • The Successor
  • The Late-night News (Costas Haritos, #1)
  • The First Garden