Start by marking “The Killables (The Killables, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Killables (The Killables, #1)

The Killables (The Killables #1)

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,593 Ratings  ·  189 Reviews
Everyone accepted that people were different physically. But inside? Inside, they were different too. You just had to know how to tell, what to look for. Evil has been eradicated. The City has been established. And citizens may only enter after having the 'evil' part of their brain removed. They are labelled on the System according to how 'good' they are. If they show sign ...more
Published March 29th 2012 by Hodder & Stoughton

To ask other readers questions about The Killables, please sign up.

Teresa Domino im half way through the book now and i hate how stupid raff is. he is with these campers that obviously know what theyre doing but he just wants to…moreim half way through the book now and i hate how stupid raff is. he is with these campers that obviously know what theyre doing but he just wants to run away and get killed (less)

Jilly
Jan 24, 2015 Jilly rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopia
All of the dystopian boxes were checked: love triangle, controlled city with dangerous people outside, evil "leader", caste system, arranged marriages. And, there were many borrowed elements: the leader was called the "Brother", as in Big Brother like 1984; having too many emotions was considered dangerous, as in Delirium; and teenagers were "Matched" - that word Matched was even used - by their parents, to be married.
As a matter of fact, every part of the story felt familiar and overused.

same old same old photo: Same old, same old realitycheck02-1.gif
Booknut
Apr 26, 2012 Booknut rated it it was amazing
This. Book. Was. Amazing! The Killables, a definite must-read by Gemma Malley, came into my possession on one of my frequent trips to buy out my local Dymocks. I was searching the shelves for something good to read when BAM. There it was. I had read the Declaration, and loved it, and I was intrigued by the blurb so I decided to give it a try.

An excellent Dystopian novel. Evie's struggle for understanding - to come to terms with whether or not the laws and regulations of the society she has known
Meg
Apr 19, 2012 Meg rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, 2012reads
What a hot mess. Why does every YA dystopian read need a love triangle? Why was there zero character development? What is the point of Raffy beyond constantly being annoying? Why does the timeline for this book seriously not work in my head? Why is the main character named Evie when V for Vendetta got there first? (This seriously bothered me the entire book because when I hear the name Evie my brain automatically reads it in Hugo Weaving's voice, so.)

The only reason this wasn't a one star read i
Clarisse (Clarity)
If I knew this book was written by Gemma Malley and that the research blurb at the beginning of the book is referenced from freaking Wikipedia (lol, who does that, really? A published author who uses Wikipedia as their main source?) I wouldn't have wanted to read this book.

I only picked it up because it was a Goodreads Recommendation and I initially thought the premise was interesting enough to take a stab (no puns intended) at this novel. I never had high expectations for dystopians, knowing h
Tiffany
Apr 25, 2012 Tiffany rated it it was ok

I only give this book three stars because I'm intrigued by the plot itself. I was thoroughly confused about why the book ended where it did, but I can live with that.

What I cannot live with is how much I actively hated some of the characters, Raffy in particular. His character never progresses past a possessive, petulant child and I found myself actively rolling my eyes at his constant whining. I understand the plot tries to set it up as he was young and believed his whole life that his brother
Tamara
Jun 10, 2015 Tamara rated it liked it
This would have been a really good read if the writing was much better and all forms of development were more you know, developed....

Idea: Excellent
Shelves: ya-dystopian
Emma
Mar 16, 2012 Emma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, own
Well, I think my five stars say enough since I rarely give five stars. I walked across this one in a bookstore in Amsterdam and the blurb sucked me right in. I thought the cover looked pretty fun and I was super excited to read it!
Well, I'm not gonna say what it is about, read the blurb and be surpised. But I think if you liked Divergent, her Declaration series and/or Delirium you'll love this one as well. If you didn't like those titles, well I hope you will still give it a shot. It's well writ
Kayleigh {K-Books}
Jun 20, 2014 Kayleigh {K-Books} rated it liked it
Shelves: ukya
The Killables Review on K-Books

It's no surprise to anyone how much I adore dystopia novels. It's one of my favourite genres and I have read and loved every single dystopia book I have read. I have heard so much about Gemma Malley before and have heard her dystopia novels are amazing. This is the first book by Gemma Malley I have read and I was really impressed with her writing and ideas.

Evil has been eradicated. The part of the brain that has to do with emotion and aggression, the amygdala, has
Hannah
Aug 14, 2012 Hannah rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: dystopian
*Contains slight spoilers*

The book that started my love for Dystiopian fiction. My school libary had Gemma Malley come to our school a week before the release of The Killables to promote it, i was lucky to attend and the book just sounded fantastic.

It was a great read, the introduction to the City wasn't overdone but covered enough so the story wasn't confusing. Evie's character was likable as you understood her situation and felt for her because of the pressing laws of the City.

Raffy was a char
Ella
Nov 06, 2012 Ella rated it it was amazing
This book is now my all time favourite book, it incorparates every possible level into it, Romance, Action, Fantasy, everything, i love the way the book makes you feel deeply for each and every character and has you in the same position as Evie, and i love the way that everything you read and thought in the beginning turns out to be a lie, but you don't know it when your reading it becasue you believe what Evie believes, the book finishes at i massive cliffhanger and especially the taster from t ...more
Lucy
Feb 24, 2013 Lucy rated it liked it
I thought the idea of this book was amazing and so different however I don't think the way it came across fullfilled it full potential as how good it could have been. For example I found the book very slow and whenever something shocking was meant to be revealed it was said in such a boring and casual way that it made it less shocking and less exciting.

It would have been nice if we could have got to know how Raffy felt more as I felt I couldnt love the relationship between Raffy and Evie becaus
Brodie
Mar 23, 2012 Brodie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
The basic premise reminded me a bit of Delirium... only completely opposite. In Delirium, people are cured of love by an operation to their brain. In The Killables, it's the same scenario, but with evil being the object of removal from a person. Every child at birth is forced to undergo the operation which removes the part of their brain that is said to be the source of evil - of corruption and ill desires. Citizens are ranked with a number - A, B, C, D or K. You want to be as close to A as poss ...more
Anne
Feb 24, 2012 Anne rated it it was amazing
I seem to be irresistibly drawn to YA dystopian reads - and this was one of the best I've read in a long time, the beginning of a new series that looks like it will shape up to be every bit as good as The Declaration trilogy. Gemma Malley writes so well, and is expert at drawing a vivid world peopled with strong young characters. This one is set in The City - a walled society set up after the end of the Horrors, where the Evils lurk outside the gates and people's lives are ruled by the System pr ...more
Charlie
another 4 stars. I always give books 4 stars. Unless I give them 3. I think 3 is my 'its alright but I didn't like it much' any lower than 3 I just didn't bother reading. Anyway back to the subject in hand....THE KILLABLES! I've been waiting ages to read this. Everytime I was in Waterstones it called to me with its bright yellow cover. It was good. The concept was amazing and it had a steady flow and plenty of clever plot twists...although some were predictable. However I will say that looking b ...more
Gemma (Passion for Novels)
Apr 15, 2012 Gemma (Passion for Novels) rated it really liked it
Like my reviews? See more at http://passionfornovels.blogspot.co.uk/

I really enjoyed this book, it is an interesting take on a supposedly Utopian future world. Where the hero has to be convinced that the System is evil too. I can tell this triolgy of books is going to be really good and it has been set up for what I can imagine will be a very exciting second book. Malley has created a well developed world in this book and has left it open ready for the second one to take flight.

At the start it
Emy
Jul 24, 2012 Emy rated it really liked it
This book was pretty good.It was not excellent,but I've still enjoyed it.I didn't really like the love relationship that Evie and Raphael had.I would have better chosen Lucas -by the way,this name is sooo common ! Why does every author use this name for the "perfect boy" ?.I would have chosen Lucas because Raphael seemed to be really annoying at some parts.I hated it when he didn't want to entertain Evie,as Lucas could do.I hated it when Raphael was getting angry too fast and it seemed just like ...more
Tenille Macgregor
Jul 28, 2013 Tenille Macgregor rated it really liked it
***MINOR SPOLIERS***

Browsing through the bookshelves, I was looking for something new to read when I stumbled upon this little gem. The title was what originally caught my attention so I grabbed it off the shelf and flipped it over to find out a little bit more. I knew immediately after reading the premise of the story, that this was something I just had to read! So that day I bought myself a copy, and dug straight into it when I got home.
Now keep in mind I haven't read a lot of books told from
Jordan
Apr 08, 2012 Jordan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

4,5/5

Sentiment 26 est mon premier roman lu de Gemma Malley, auteure de la trilogie La Déclaration. Ce qui est formidable avec Mme Malley, c'est qu'on a l'impression de connaître son écriture depuis toujours. Sa façon d'écrire est vraiment magnifique, on plonge corps et âme dans l'univers qu'elle nous offre. Nous découvrons par ailleurs qu'elle maîtrise vraiment le monde qu'elle a créé, et nous sert une bien belle dystopie.
Nous faisons ici la rencontre d'Ev
Brooke Walker
Jul 24, 2013 Brooke Walker rated it liked it
I recently read the book 'The Killables' by Gemma Malley, because it caught my eye in the library and I thought it sounded interesting, and relates to the topic we're studying in English class. "The Killables" is a dystopian fiction, set in the future where a power-hungry man has established a 'city' in order to eradicate evil from the world - therefore leaving the people as mindless puppets to do his duties. He has told the people that everywhere else in the world has been destroyed, and is pat ...more
Lauren
MINOR SPOILERS (of things that you actually see coming..)

Ok so that book wasn't THAT bad. But there's one thing that's bugging me a lot : I just couldn't help thinking about Delirium. This whole thing about no love in the City, the escape in the forest, rescued by people who want to destroy the government...
Am I the only who saw that ?
Anyway, the book was nice, but definitely not the kind of book that can keep me awake at night.
2,5 stars actually.
Kavita
Dec 29, 2012 Kavita rated it did not like it
Shelves: dystopia
Charley
Oct 31, 2012 Charley rated it liked it
The plot for this book was amazing!! Fantastic idea. I loved it!!
It is such a shame that I could only give this book three stars because although the storyline was great, I neary did not even finish the book due to the characters being so unrelatable, especially Raffy. He always acted so immature and the fact that Evie still saw no fault in him, despite all the whining and tantrums he had annoyed me to the extent that I nearly shut the book!
But overall I am glad I kept reading and I hope to see
Mahriya
Jan 28, 2016 Mahriya rated it really liked it
This Book was actually pretty decent. I mean, when I picked it up I didn't really have high hopes but turns out the story line and the characters and the plots and mysteries were all so gripping. I had seen someone reading this book before and thought: why not try it? Turns out, I was in for a whole lot more than I expected.

Starting off, with an unkind mother and strange dreams, I was beginning to think that this book could turn out pretty good. And then, as the book wore on so many questions w
Ellen
Jun 13, 2014 Ellen rated it it was ok
*MINOR BUT PREDICTABLE SPOILERS AHEAD*

I picked this book up browsing in the library... all I can say is, I'm glad I didn't buy it.

The basic premise is very typical dystopian- supposedly utopian world which is meant to be for the greater good, but the MC discovers the government is actually lying and covering up everything. Not original, no, but that's not necessarily a deal breaker.

The big issue I had with this book was the characters. Evie is dull and seems indecisive, not to mention she hardly
Mikka Gottstein
Die Grundidee klingt unglaublich spannend und originell:

Im Jahr 2065 ist die "Stadt" buchstäblich Evies ganze Welt. Ihr ist gar nicht bewusst, in was für einer klaustrophobischen, geistig und moralisch engstirnigen Gemeinde sie lebt - und wie sehr alle Bewohner tagtäglich einer grausamen Gehirnwäsche unterzogen werden. Der beinahe gottähnlich verehrte "Bruder" predigt, dass Menschen grundsätzlich böse geboren werden, und dass nur eine Operation, bei denen ihnen ein Teil des Gehirns entfernt wird
Abby
May 18, 2014 Abby rated it did not like it
As a fan of dystopian novels, I always hang on, till the very last pages, to find out if there were some twists and some kind of grand plan that would eventually pan out and leave me with a gasp.

Unfortunately, 'The Killables' did not have anything of that sort. I felt hoodwinked after reading this book because it promised to be refreshing. At the end, however, all I could think of was how it was a big mash-up of previous dystopian novels with better plots and character development. Books that r
Molly Looby
Apr 10, 2014 Molly Looby rated it did not like it
Before we begin, this is first of my book reviews. I will write a review every time I finish a book. If you want to see what I’m reading right now or any book I’ve already read this year, please look to the right-hand side of the screen where there is a book list. There are however, no other book reviews, as this is the first. I’d also like to just mention that every time I use an example I have found them in the novel – in this case ‘The Killables’ by Gemma Malley.

A Spoiler Free Bit About the B
Janey
Apr 23, 2014 Janey rated it did not like it
All in all this book was a pretty huge disappointment. I loved the Declaration series by the same author - they had brilliant characters and an engaging plot - but this was utterly rubbish compared to that.

The main problem I had with this book is that I just didn't... care about the characters. I get that it was part of their society not to care for each other but that rebounded back to me and that. shouldn't. happen.
I almost didn't finish the book because I really didn't mind what happened to
Heather Ross
Feb 08, 2015 Heather Ross rated it it was amazing
Is this available on the nook? 2 5 Nov 17, 2013 07:24PM
  • Cybernetic
  • Famished
  • Fast-Tracked (Fast-Track Trilogy, #1)
  • The Burn (The Burn, #1)
  • After the Snow (After the Snow, #1)
  • The Sphinx Project (The Chimaera Chronicles, #1)
  • Scored
  • Memento Nora (Memento Nora, #1)
  • Those That Wake (Those That Wake, #1)
  • Days Like This
  • The Third
  • 20 Years Later
  • The Blending Time
  • The Other Life (The Other Life, #1)
  • Ashes of Twilight (Ashes Trilogy, #1)
  • Amongst the Ruins (The Chronicles of 2020, #1)
  • Outside (Outside #1)
  • The Glimpse (The Glimpse, #1)

The Killables (3 books)
  • The Disappearances (The Killables, #2)
  • The System (Killables, #3)

“Imagination shows an ability to lie, to pretend the world is different than it is.” 9 likes
“La imaginación demuestra una habilidad para mentir, para pretender que el mundo es diferente de lo que realmente es.” 0 likes