Start by marking “The Bandit of Hell's Bend (The Gregg Press Western Fiction Series)” as Want to Read:
The Bandit of Hell's Bend (The Gregg Press Western Fiction Series)

The Bandit of Hell's Bend (The Gregg Press Western Fiction Series)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Edgar Rice Burroughs. The Bandit of Hell's Bend. Boston: Gregg Press, 1979. Reprint edition. Octavo. 316 pages.

Western adventure and romance, set in 1880s Arizona. The hero and heroine have to contend with hostile Apaches, outlaws, and wealthy Easterners with designs on the home ranch.
Published June 1st 1979 by Boston: Gregg Press (first published 1924)

To ask other readers questions about The Bandit of Hell's Bend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bandit of Hell's Bend

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostMoon Called by Patricia BriggsMagic Bites by Ilona AndrewsThe Daughter of Ares Chronicles by Shannon McRoberts
Books With Action Heroines
414th out of 481 books — 460 voters
Under Starry Skies by Judy Ann DavisThe Bandit of Hell's Bend by Edgar Rice BurroughsThe Golden Cat by Max BrandKillstraight by Johnny D. BoggsStuart Brannon's Final Shot by Stephen Bly
Western Mysteries
2nd out of 8 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Werner
Jan 11, 2011 Werner rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Western fans; fans of action adventure
Recommended to Werner by: My wife
Born in 1875, as a youth Burroughs actually spent time working as a cowboy on a 19th-century Western ranch owned by his brother. Though that was in Idaho, while this novel is set in Arizona, his knowledge of basic ranch life and Western conditions in the frontier era was firsthand; and the descriptions here suggest that he had some personal familiarity with the landscape of the Southwest as well. So in this novel, he was following the axiomatic advice for authors, "Write about what you know;" hi ...more
David
When he wanted to take a break from Tarzan and Barsoom, ERB would occasionally try a Western. The Bandit of Hell’s Bend is one such. The theme is the classic one of stuffed shirt Easterners vs. Robust Westerners (a theme that I daresay underlies much if not most of ERB’s fiction). The foreman of the Slash Y ranch is Bull, a laconic and steady cowpoke in the traditional mode. But the Slash Y and its heiress, Diana Henders, must endure quite a bit before Bull’s finer characteristics are fully mani ...more
Charles
ERB was not as good a western writer as Louis L'Amour, but his traditional westerns, like this one, are fun reading. You know there's going to be adventure.
Jon Wilson
I'm going to sound back-ass-ward here, but I have previously tried to read examples of the author's Tarzan stories and his John Carter series. I made it through neither book.

This book however, I found to be quite a page-turner. Much is said, both in academic reviews online and in the introduction/forward to the volumne I read, about Burroughs' first-hand knowledge of frontier life in the American Southwest of the 1880s and 1890s, but this came over as pure glorious pulp.

There's lots of misunders
Dave
Well over half of Burroughs' plot lines are quite predictable in that boy meets girl, loses girl (or believes that he has) and finally wins the girl. The action and settings of the books vary considerably, which is why they are fun to read.

In The Bandit of Hell's Bend, one of his few westerns, the presumed hero is rarely the main point-of-view character and is quite mysterious. The girl thinks of him as a big brother and not until faced with devastation does she realize she loves him. The motiv
Ulag
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was not my first Edgar Rice Burroughs book, but my first 'western' and I finished it in one morning. In this story you'll find tenderness in the most unexpected places, covert gentleness in the most unlikely characters, loyalty and enough humor to keep you giggling at regular intervals. At least, that was my experience.
emily
Jul 26, 2010 emily rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dialect lovers of all sorts
It's shore a durn gum good read.

Seriously, it's folksy and predictable, but it's also pretty fun.
William Stafford
A cracking Western that I enjoyed from start to finish. Burroughs's clear, vivid style keeps the pace up and brings to life a host of characters and evokes landscapes and settings with apparent ease. Social mores have changed - you wouldn't get away with the depiction of the Chinese cook these days - but what hasn't changed is the power of this cinematic, romantic adventure. It's also rather funny, which I didn't expect.

Highly recommended. Give the genre a go!
Aravind
Brilliant! Witty! Funny! One of the best little reads of late... Quite a page-turner. I was laughing out loud at several places...
Chez Nash
I don't think Burroughs writes a very good western.
Gordon Jones
Have not read a western in a long time, always have happy endings...
Cws
Oct 29, 2008 Cws added it
Shelves: western
W Bur
Glenn O'Bannon
Glenn O'Bannon is currently reading it
Feb 22, 2015
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Clay Jordan
Clay Jordan marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Marvvin w Van Gorp
Marvvin w Van Gorp is currently reading it
Dec 09, 2014
Tim Schneider
Tim Schneider marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Sarah Youngquist
Sarah Youngquist marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
D. Fackelman
D. Fackelman marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Edgar Rice Burroughs was an American author, best known for his creation of the jungle hero Tarzan and the heroic John Carter, although he produced works in many genres.
More about Edgar Rice Burroughs...
A Princess of Mars (Barsoom, #1) Tarzan of the Apes (Tarzan, #1) The Gods of Mars (Barsoom, #2) The Warlord of Mars (Barsoom, #3) The Land That Time Forgot (Caspak, #1-3)