Start by marking “Teen Boat!” as Want to Read:
Teen Boat!

Teen Boat!

High school can be a time of terrible angst: Fs on tests, bullying jerks, broken hearts, and late-stage puberty are just some of the potential issues that all teen boys face. But what about the issues facing a Teen Boat? In this hilarious send-up of teen story tropes, the best-selling author Dave Roman and the cartoonist John Green deliver high school and high seas drama ...more
Published May 8th 2012 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Teen Boat!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teen Boat!

Beth
Feb 10, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it
The tagline of this graphic novel is quite catchy and is permanently ingrained on my brain: The angst of being a teen, the thrill of being a boat.

And with that, you get an idea of the quirky humor and ridiculous yet intriguing premise: a teenager who has the ability to transform into a boat at will. Upon first reading, I'm sure I missed all the symbolism permeating the story because I was just so delighted by the quirk factor. I think I will have to encounter a second reading very soon because I
Emily Lewis
Jul 30, 2014 Emily Lewis rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
If you're looking for a deep, tense, dangerous super-hero graphic novel, go read "Watchmen". If you're looking for somehting silly, pun-filled, quirky, and humorous, stay right here because "TeenBoat" is for you. TeenBoat must deal with all the usual teenage problems -- peer pressure ("pier pressure", actually, as that's the title of the first chapter, to give you an idea of the tone here), trying to impress a girl (or a gondola), getting a job, learning to drive a car, and more -- while also ...more
Jacquelyn Egemo
Dec 21, 2015 Jacquelyn Egemo rated it it was amazing
The story of Teenboat is marvelous. Truly a timeless tale that will carry through the ages. I await anxiously for the next in its series.
Erika Hill
Sep 06, 2015 Erika Hill rated it it was amazing
This is the best book I have ever read in my life. Great message and story. 10/10 would read reccomend to everyone ever.
Stefanie
Apr 05, 2016 Stefanie rated it really liked it
Rating on behalf of the ravings of middle school boys. They thought it was hilarious. I feel like my opinion doesn't matter in this instance. :)
Shannon
Feb 03, 2015 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Well done. I didn't love it, but I can see how kids totally would, so bonus star. I wouldn't have it in my 2-3 classroom library, but I totally would if I skewed older!
hannah
hahahahahahaha
Fermin Liborio
teen boat like other girl, he want date her but other boy got her. then teen boat try diff way to got her.
Peter Derk
Sep 28, 2014 Peter Derk rated it it was ok
Fun. Y'know, the illustration is pretty great. I'd give it a boost there. How someone illustrates ideas like this, that's miracles. I don't care what ICP says.

The story is pretty one note. It's a funny note, so it works. But, you know.

It made me think, though. Teen Boat(which is the kid's actual name)is unlike a lot of super-powered people in that he seems pretty pleased with his powers. Even though the power to turn into a boat doesn't SEEM all that useful or awesome.

It made me think, how woul
Liviania
Jun 22, 2012 Liviania rated it really liked it
Collaborators Dave Roman and John Green originally published the TEEN BOAT! mini-comic through their own Cryptic Press. You can still visit the old websites associated with that version of the comic. TEEN BOAT! won an Ignatz Award and now it is available in a full color version with extra comics and other bonus material.

The art of TEEN BOAT! is clean with easy-to-distinguish and consistent character designs. The girls aren't overly sexified either. They look like teen girls and their designs are
Jennifer Haight
May 23, 2012 Jennifer Haight rated it liked it

When I first saw Teen Boat! By Dave Roman and John Green, I thought that it was written by John Green of YA lit fame (it isn’t), and I was sucked in by the slogan “The angst of being a teen; the thrill of being a boat!” It is a quirky and fun albeit unfocused and repetitive premise.
The premise is that a boy strangely named Teen Boat, transforms into a small yacht but can continue to communicate while he is in boat form. How and why hes able to do this is never discussed. At some points of the bo
Colleen
Aug 20, 2015 Colleen rated it really liked it
Teen Boat is a collection of comics that follows a teen named Teen Boat, who is seemingly your average teen but who transforms into a boat. As you can imagine, this comic collection is filled with hilarious adventures where Teen Boat gets into trouble because of his unique abilities. One of the funniest escapades was where it chronicled Teen Boat getting his drivers license. Teen Boat is not comfortable in cars, so he has put off getting his license. However, he wants to impress a girl so he ...more
Mrs W
Dec 23, 2015 Mrs W rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
TEENBOAT is quirky and strange, but definitely makes those work for it. The premise involves a teen boy, named TeenBoat, who can transform into a boat. See? Strange. Aside from that, TeenBoat’s adventures all revolve around typical teenage things, thus the tagline: The angst of being a teen, the thrill of being a boat. The book is made up of a series of adventures that comprise one or two chapters each. The adventures begin with TeenBoat having some teenage angsty issue, such as wanting to be ...more
Stephanie
Apr 07, 2012 Stephanie rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this novel from the publisher in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

My Summary: Being a teenager can be tough - there are so many things to worry about that making it through high school can feel like the ultimate achievement. But what if you had to go through all these things with the added burden of transforming into a boat?

Readers will love the hilarity of Teen Boat as he struggles to get make it through some tough teen issues without getting shipwrec
Kim
Jul 04, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it
I picked this one up after listening to John Green speak at ALA 2013. I thought he was hilarious and decided I had to read the book. I'd seen it before and dismissed it. A boy who could turn himself into a boat just didn't seem to be my thing. Boy, was I wrong. I'm so glad I read it. It's a cute and funny story about the agony of being a teen and the thrill of being a boat. The duo of writers did a great job of making a fun and, oddly realistic, view of a teenage boy and his normal teen issues ...more
Steve Phillips
Jan 20, 2015 Steve Phillips rated it it was ok
Shelves: guy-book, not-for-me
This graphic novel doesn't seem like a novel at all, more like a series of episodes that are loosely related. Most frustrating to me is that it doesn't end so much as it just stops. No resolution at all, so perhaps it's a setup for a sequel.
The idea behind Teen Boat, a teen that can turn into a boat at will, is kind of fun. I like the artwork. "Kind of a fun idea and I like the artwork", however, is about it. When I hover over the rating of two stars, it says "it was okay", so there ya go.

SPEAKI
Jez Layman
I met the authors at ALA and enjoyed their presentation and livereading immensely, enough to buy a copy of the book. It's hilarious, even going beyond the ridiculous tag line "The angst of being a teen...the thrill of being a boat!" With a tag like that, how could you go wrong? There are a lot of really clever plays on words and good jokes. At his presentation, John Green said there would be spoilers for those of us who could read Italian, but I have to say, the Italian only confirmed my ...more
Dolores
Jan 19, 2013 Dolores rated it liked it
Shelves: guy-reads
I have very mixed feelings about this one. On the one hand, I think this could appeal to a certain segment of teen guys. It is LOADED with every cheesy boat pun in existence. I could hear them snickering. On the other hand, I kept thinking, "Really?" I could imagine the scene in my mind. The creators had a bit too much to drink and were playing the "what if" game. Then, when they hit on the silliest scenario they could find, they wrote down every boat pun they could come up with. Then they wrote ...more
Travis Mueller
Jul 11, 2016 Travis Mueller rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
It lives up to the silliness of it's premise and the tagline "The angst of being a teen, the thrill of being a boat!" Enjoyable and quirky, though at times the protagonist is almost unbearably annoying, especially in his interactions with his childhood friend who has a blatant crush on him. But also simply because he acts like a generic teenager; having not been a typical teenager myself I rarely find those sorts of issues compelling. This story works because usually they play the angst as ...more
Nick
Aug 14, 2014 Nick rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This makes me think of every crappy, cheesy, poorly-conceived 80s Saturday morning cartoon I loved as a kid. The premise is ridiculous, and its execution even more so. But every awful joke made me smile with nostalgia (I particularly enjoyed the coffee cup driving test method employed in License to Drive). And they made me want to pick up the next book to see just what Joey's secret it (like we don't already know).
Rob
Nov 06, 2014 Rob rated it liked it
If you thought to yourself "I loved Turbo Teen as a kid and the only thing missing is a fancy yacht", then this is the book for you. I have no idea what to make of this graphic novel. It is at times hilarious and at times stupid and mostly hilariously stupid, in sometimes the best and sometimes the worst senses of that phrase. Is all this hinting about dark secrets setting it up for a sequel or just part of the joke? Probably both.
Renata
Jul 22, 2013 Renata rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, ya, graphic-novel
I wanted to like this more than I did? From what I knew about it it ("the angst of being a teen! the thrill of being a boat!") seemed like a very tongue-in-cheek satire of teen drama but it's pretty slapsticky. I think tweens and young teens will really love this. Am I too grown up for this? That's a TERRIBLE realization but possibly true.
John
Dec 23, 2011 John rated it really liked it
Daffiest premise ever--an otherwise average teen can turn himself into a medium sized boat at will. The authors take that premise and deliver any number of perfectly logical developments and totally wacko twists in this graphic novel. All that keeps it off the top shelf for me is the downright cruel and thoughtless way Teen treats his loyal, obviously smitten best friend Joey (Josephine?).
Elisa
Nov 20, 2015 Elisa rated it really liked it
At first I thought it was weird, Teen Boat? Really? But then I got used to the idea and it turned out to be pretty funny. Although it is set in a high school, I think my middle school students would enjoy reading it. I am always on the look out for good graphic novels to recommend to reluctant readers--I would recommend this one.
Brian
Jul 08, 2012 Brian rated it it was amazing
Wow. I can't believe how good this actually was. I was rolling in my seat almost the whole time. Great foreshadowing techniques, wonderful use of the absurd, and fantastic Shrek-style moments where there are jokes that the majority of readers (teenagers) are too young to fully appreciate. This book might sound ridiculous (and it is), but it is also fantastic.
Adan
Aug 03, 2015 Adan rated it liked it
One of the most original ideas in recent memory, Teen Boat is filled with hilarious puns, teen angst, and a lot of nautical terms. The main character is a bit of a jerk, but that's all teenagers, so spot on!
Ricki
Jun 29, 2013 Ricki rated it liked it
This is a funny, enjoyable graphic novel about the adventures of a boy named Teen Boat--a teenaged boy who can transform himself into a boat. I found myself smiling at this one. It would make for a great read for students in upper middle school or lower high school grades.
Mike
Feb 17, 2015 Mike rated it liked it
The title says it all, he is a teen and he turns into a boat. It is such a ridiculous idea that is executed well that it works well. It touches upon lots of typical teen issues---peer pressure, crushes, attempting to get a driver's license.
Lorna
A graphic novel told in interconnected chapters. Far-fetched, but fun, and I can see its appeal to kids middle school and up. The scenes when TB learns to drive are great. Don't miss the explanation on how the book was created.
Amy
Feb 07, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing
what a perfect blend of super weird with some mild innuendo for my more mature readers.

Edited to add: I included this in my classroom library, and it's beloved by twelve year old boys who share in my warped sense of humor. I can't wait for the next teen boat to come out!
  • Babymouse for President (Babymouse #16)
  • Mal and Chad: Food Fight! (Mal and Chad, #2)
  • Cow Boy: A Boy and His Horse
  • Lunch Lady and the Picture Day Peril (Lunch Lady, #8)
  • The Plant Hunters: True Stories of Their Daring Adventures to the Far Corners of the Earth
  • Lowriders in Space (Lowriders in Space, #1)
  • Hades: Lord of the Dead (Olympians, #4)
  • The Year of the Beasts
  • Earthling!
  • Guy-Write: What Every Guy Writer Needs to Know
  • How Mirka Met a Meteorite (Hereville #2)
  • A Trip to the Bottom of the World with Mouse: TOON Level 1
  • Sticky Burr: Adventures in Burrwood Forest (Sticky Burr #1)
  • Frankie Pickle and the Mathematical Menace (Frankie Pickle, #3)
Dave Roman is the author of several graphic novels including Astronaut Academy: Zero Gravity, Teen Boat!, Jax Epoch, and Agnes Quill: An Anthology of Mystery. He has contributed stories to Explorer: The Mystery Boxes, Nursery Rhyme Comics, and is the co-author of two New York Times bestselling graphic novels, X-Men: Misfits and The Last Airbender: Zuko’s Story. Roman is a graduate of the School of ...more
More about Dave Roman...