Start by marking “Teen Boat!” as Want to Read:
Teen Boat!

Teen Boat!

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  253 ratings  ·  67 reviews
High school can be a time of terrible angst: Fs on tests, bullying jerks, broken hearts, and late-stage puberty are just some of the potential issues that all teen boys face. But what about the issues facing a Teen Boat? In this hilarious send-up of teen story tropes, the best-selling author Dave Roman and the cartoonist John Green deliver high school and high seas drama w ...more
Published May 8th 2012 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Teen Boat!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teen Boat!

Beth
The tagline of this graphic novel is quite catchy and is permanently ingrained on my brain: The angst of being a teen, the thrill of being a boat.

And with that, you get an idea of the quirky humor and ridiculous yet intriguing premise: a teenager who has the ability to transform into a boat at will. Upon first reading, I'm sure I missed all the symbolism permeating the story because I was just so delighted by the quirk factor. I think I will have to encounter a second reading very soon because I
Emily Lewis
If you're looking for a deep, tense, dangerous super-hero graphic novel, go read "Watchmen". If you're looking for somehting silly, pun-filled, quirky, and humorous, stay right here because "TeenBoat" is for you. TeenBoat must deal with all the usual teenage problems -- peer pressure ("pier pressure", actually, as that's the title of the first chapter, to give you an idea of the tone here), trying to impress a girl (or a gondola), getting a job, learning to drive a car, and more -- while also de ...more
Shannon
Well done. I didn't love it, but I can see how kids totally would, so bonus star. I wouldn't have it in my 2-3 classroom library, but I totally would if I skewed older!
Steve Phillips
This graphic novel doesn't seem like a novel at all, more like a series of episodes that are loosely related. Most frustrating to me is that it doesn't end so much as it just stops. No resolution at all, so perhaps it's a setup for a sequel.
The idea behind Teen Boat, a teen that can turn into a boat at will, is kind of fun. I like the artwork. "Kind of a fun idea and I like the artwork", however, is about it. When I hover over the rating of two stars, it says "it was okay", so there ya go.

SPEAKI
hannah
hahahahahahaha
Peter Derk
Fun. Y'know, the illustration is pretty great. I'd give it a boost there. How someone illustrates ideas like this, that's miracles. I don't care what ICP says.

The story is pretty one note. It's a funny note, so it works. But, you know.

It made me think, though. Teen Boat(which is the kid's actual name)is unlike a lot of super-powered people in that he seems pretty pleased with his powers. Even though the power to turn into a boat doesn't SEEM all that useful or awesome.

It made me think, how woul
Stephanie
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this novel from the publisher in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

My Summary: Being a teenager can be tough - there are so many things to worry about that making it through high school can feel like the ultimate achievement. But what if you had to go through all these things with the added burden of transforming into a boat?

Readers will love the hilarity of Teen Boat as he struggles to get make it through some tough teen issues without getting shipwrec
Liviania
Collaborators Dave Roman and John Green originally published the TEEN BOAT! mini-comic through their own Cryptic Press. You can still visit the old websites associated with that version of the comic. TEEN BOAT! won an Ignatz Award and now it is available in a full color version with extra comics and other bonus material.

The art of TEEN BOAT! is clean with easy-to-distinguish and consistent character designs. The girls aren't overly sexified either. They look like teen girls and their designs are
Colleen
Teen Boat is a collection of comics that follows a teen named Teen Boat, who is seemingly your average teen but who transforms into a boat. As you can imagine, this comic collection is filled with hilarious adventures where Teen Boat gets into trouble because of his unique abilities. One of the funniest escapades was where it chronicled Teen Boat getting his drivers license. Teen Boat is not comfortable in cars, so he has put off getting his license. However, he wants to impress a girl so he dec ...more
Jennifer Haight

When I first saw Teen Boat! By Dave Roman and John Green, I thought that it was written by John Green of YA lit fame (it isn’t), and I was sucked in by the slogan “The angst of being a teen; the thrill of being a boat!” It is a quirky and fun albeit unfocused and repetitive premise.
The premise is that a boy strangely named Teen Boat, transforms into a small yacht but can continue to communicate while he is in boat form. How and why hes able to do this is never discussed. At some points of the bo
Kim
I picked this one up after listening to John Green speak at ALA 2013. I thought he was hilarious and decided I had to read the book. I'd seen it before and dismissed it. A boy who could turn himself into a boat just didn't seem to be my thing. Boy, was I wrong. I'm so glad I read it. It's a cute and funny story about the agony of being a teen and the thrill of being a boat. The duo of writers did a great job of making a fun and, oddly realistic, view of a teenage boy and his normal teen issues ( ...more
Jez Layman
I met the authors at ALA and enjoyed their presentation and livereading immensely, enough to buy a copy of the book. It's hilarious, even going beyond the ridiculous tag line "The angst of being a teen...the thrill of being a boat!" With a tag like that, how could you go wrong? There are a lot of really clever plays on words and good jokes. At his presentation, John Green said there would be spoilers for those of us who could read Italian, but I have to say, the Italian only confirmed my theorie ...more
Dolores
I have very mixed feelings about this one. On the one hand, I think this could appeal to a certain segment of teen guys. It is LOADED with every cheesy boat pun in existence. I could hear them snickering. On the other hand, I kept thinking, "Really?" I could imagine the scene in my mind. The creators had a bit too much to drink and were playing the "what if" game. Then, when they hit on the silliest scenario they could find, they wrote down every boat pun they could come up with. Then they wrote ...more
Travis Mueller
It lives up to the silliness of it's premise and the tagline "The angst of being a teen, the thrill of being a boat!" Enjoyable and quirky, though at times the protagonist is almost unbearably annoying, especially in his interactions with his childhood friend who has a blatant crush on him. But also simply because he acts like a generic teenager; having not been a typical teenager myself I rarely find those sorts of issues compelling. This story works because usually they play the angst as ridic ...more
Tiffany
So ridiculously bizarre. It was great!
Mike
The title says it all, he is a teen and he turns into a boat. It is such a ridiculous idea that is executed well that it works well. It touches upon lots of typical teen issues---peer pressure, crushes, attempting to get a driver's license.
Rob
If you thought to yourself "I loved Turbo Teen as a kid and the only thing missing is a fancy yacht", then this is the book for you. I have no idea what to make of this graphic novel. It is at times hilarious and at times stupid and mostly hilariously stupid, in sometimes the best and sometimes the worst senses of that phrase. Is all this hinting about dark secrets setting it up for a sequel or just part of the joke? Probably both.
Nick
This makes me think of every crappy, cheesy, poorly-conceived 80s Saturday morning cartoon I loved as a kid. The premise is ridiculous, and its execution even more so. But every awful joke made me smile with nostalgia (I particularly enjoyed the coffee cup driving test method employed in License to Drive). And they made me want to pick up the next book to see just what Joey's secret it (like we don't already know).
John
Daffiest premise ever--an otherwise average teen can turn himself into a medium sized boat at will. The authors take that premise and deliver any number of perfectly logical developments and totally wacko twists in this graphic novel. All that keeps it off the top shelf for me is the downright cruel and thoughtless way Teen treats his loyal, obviously smitten best friend Joey (Josephine?).
Brian
Wow. I can't believe how good this actually was. I was rolling in my seat almost the whole time. Great foreshadowing techniques, wonderful use of the absurd, and fantastic Shrek-style moments where there are jokes that the majority of readers (teenagers) are too young to fully appreciate. This book might sound ridiculous (and it is), but it is also fantastic.
Renata
I wanted to like this more than I did? From what I knew about it it ("the angst of being a teen! the thrill of being a boat!") seemed like a very tongue-in-cheek satire of teen drama but it's pretty slapsticky. I think tweens and young teens will really love this. Am I too grown up for this? That's a TERRIBLE realization but possibly true.
Amy
what a perfect blend of super weird with some mild innuendo for my more mature readers.

Edited to add: I included this in my classroom library, and it's beloved by twelve year old boys who share in my warped sense of humor. I can't wait for the next teen boat to come out!
Ricki
This is a funny, enjoyable graphic novel about the adventures of a boy named Teen Boat--a teenaged boy who can transform himself into a boat. I found myself smiling at this one. It would make for a great read for students in upper middle school or lower high school grades.
Lorna
A graphic novel told in interconnected chapters. Far-fetched, but fun, and I can see its appeal to kids middle school and up. The scenes when TB learns to drive are great. Don't miss the explanation on how the book was created.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Don't let the format or quirkiness fool you...there are a lot of references some subtle and some not so much within the short stories strong together in volume format. Definitely requires more than one read.
Kyle
Punny, tongue fully planted in cheek humor. Entertaining read
Stephen
This is a lot of fun - a surreal teen comedy, for kids. Would fit in very well at the DFC/Phoenix. I particularly liked the "For More Beers" chant at the class president elections.
Kricket
Jan 17, 2012 Kricket marked it as to-read
this gn caught my attention because i thought it was THE john green. but it's a different john green. still, it is about a teen who can change into a boat. so i have to read it anyway.
Amanda
Teen Boat is hilarious! It's like Archie, if Archie could turn himself into a boat. So funny and goofy with a little bit of sarcastic and sly humor thrown in. Love it!
Lauren
Quirky and silly, just as I thought it would be, and I enjoyed the first three issues in the volume, but it didn't grab me enough that I felt I needed to read the whole thing.
  • Babymouse for President (Babymouse #16)
  • Lunch Lady and the Picture Day Peril (Lunch Lady, #8)
  • Gaijin: American Prisoner of War
  • Cow Boy A Boy and His Horse
  • Lowriders in Space (Book 1)
  • Mal and Chad: Food Fight! (Mal and Chad, #2)
  • The Plant Hunters: True Stories of Their Daring Adventures to the Far Corners of the Earth
  • Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: One Dead Spy
  • Hades: Lord of the Dead (Olympians, #4)
  • Curses! Foiled Again (Foiled, #2)
  • The Misadventures of Salem Hyde: Spelling Trouble (The Misadventures of Salem Hyde, #1)
  • The Year of the Beasts
  • Earthling!
  • The Great American Dust Bowl
  • A Trip to the Bottom of the World with Mouse: TOON Level 1
Dave Roman is the author of several graphic novels including Astronaut Academy: Zero Gravity, Teen Boat!, Jax Epoch, and Agnes Quill: An Anthology of Mystery. He has contributed stories to Explorer: The Mystery Boxes, Nursery Rhyme Comics, and is the co-author of two New York Times bestselling graphic novels, X-Men: Misfits and The Last Airbender: Zuko’s Story. Roman is a graduate of the School of ...more
More about Dave Roman...
The Last Airbender: Prequel - Zuko's Story Astronaut Academy: Zero Gravity Agnes Quill: An Anthology of Mystery Astronaut Academy: Re-entry The Last Airbender Movie Comic