Start by marking “Legends and Lore of Sleepy Hollow and the Hudson Valley” as Want to Read:
Legends and Lore of Sleepy Hollow and the Hudson Valley

Legends and Lore of Sleepy Hollow and the Hudson Valley

Washington Irving's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is one of the best-known works of American literature. But what other myths lie hidden behind the landscape of New York's Hudson Valley? Imps cause mischief on the Hudson River, a white lady haunts Raven Rock, Major Andre's ghost seeks redemption and real headless Hessians search for their severed skulls. Local storyteller ...more
Published July 21st 2011 by History Press (SC) (first published July 6th 2011)

Be the first to ask a question about Legends and Lore of Sleepy Hollow and the Hudson Valley

Susan
Sep 17, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Very good reference book for tracing all the legends mention in Legend of Sleepy Hollow for the fans of the story. The author traced historical events plus legends which are famous in the area.

The author knows of what he speaks - he gives seasonal performance of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow narration in the Old Dutch church which is just wonderful.

Though I've read the story, I wasn't familiar with Irving's comments on why Sleepy Hollow is so haunted. Now I know that these are sometimes based on
Melissa
This book is one I should love because it is about Washington Irving and Sleepy Hollow. There was just something about that made it feel slow and I kept putting it down and doing other things.
Lisa Van Allen
Feb 19, 2013 Lisa Van Allen rated it it was amazing
A great book for anyone interested in the lore of Sleepy Hollow and Tarrytown. Some of the folk stories were embellished or stretched a bit with a storyteller's sensibility, which I personally am okay with, as the author makes no claims to having put together an academic book. Folklore is a living thing and changes just a little in each teller's hands. I really loved this--enjoyable, fun, informative.
Toni Odell
Sep 03, 2016 Toni Odell rated it it was amazing
An excellent resource for all things Sleepy Hollow. Kruk has created a collection of all the legends, lore, and history of Irving's masterpiece The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. His writing style is concise and easy to understand, which made this such a breeze to read. If you're a fan of all things Headless Horseman, this is a must read!!
Bill Wallace
Aug 01, 2016 Bill Wallace rated it it was amazing
An extremely entertaining collection of folklore from the land of the Headless Horseman, focusing mostly on Washington Irving's classic tale but also collecting Native American lore, history, and other local legends in its weave. I'm reading as much as I can about the ex-urban side of New York in preparation for a trip later this year and this book made a fine guide to a haunted corner of the state.
Aaron
Aug 08, 2014 Aaron rated it it was amazing
I love the history & legends of our nation, especially from the Hudson Valley and Sleepy Hollow. Mr. Kruk has done an outstanding job of putting it all together, making this book not only entertaining, but a good historical source as well. I can't wait to see his story telling performance of "The Legend" during the Halloween season.
Steve Wiggins
May 09, 2015 Steve Wiggins rated it really liked it
A good source for the tourist who wants to find the inspiration for the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Well told tales, but not very scary. A mix of history and legend. A fun read for an autumn night. See more comments here: Sects and Violence in the Ancient World.
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2014
James Campbell
James Campbell rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2012
Gary Masters
Gary Masters rated it did not like it
Apr 03, 2015
Terra
Terra rated it liked it
May 14, 2014
Abby
Abby rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2016
Jonathan Kruk
Jonathan Kruk rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2012
Aaron
Aaron rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2012
Jason Medina
Jason Medina rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2015
James Willis
James Willis rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Geri
Geri rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Lloyd Sabin
Lloyd Sabin rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2014
K.B.
K.B. rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Judith Stocker
Judith Stocker rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2015
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2014
Erica
Erica rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2014
Amy Berish
Amy Berish rated it it was ok
Jun 16, 2014
Mrs. Katherine Pappantoniou
Mrs. Katherine Pappantoniou rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Maria Rode
Maria Rode rated it it was ok
Oct 25, 2014
Georgia
Georgia rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2014
Not Bridget
Not Bridget rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2015
Becca
Becca rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Matt Peterson
Matt Peterson rated it it was ok
Mar 19, 2016