Start by marking “Hippie Hippie Shake: The Dreams, The Trips, The Trials, The Love Ins, The Screw Ups: The Sixties” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Hippie Hippie Shake: T...

Richard Neville

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  10 reviews
"The perfect Sixties book... the definitive guide" (Independent on Sunday ) out in paperback just in time for the major motion picture

When Richard Neville arrived in London in 1966 after a six-month overland trek from Australia, the first thing he did was visit Bibi: "The famous boutique throbbed with The Animals, cash registers and scantily clad women...the air was ting
376 pages
Published (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Hippie Hippie Shake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hippie Hippie Shake

Christopher
Richard Neville, the editor of a little publication called OZ, was a key figure among the international underground of the late 1960s, those freaks, hippies, and political radicals with whom the era is so identified. I first became familiar with his activities during this time by reading his 1970 book PLAYPOWER, a fascinating journalistic chronicle of three years of social change when it seemed the old order of things would be completely done away with by young people with unquashable joie de vi ...more
Velvetink
When I was growing up Richard Neville was shocking the public. Interesting to see this book now.
Nadine
Loved this book, great pace, read like a who's who of the late sixties. I always have the feeling that New Zealand missed out on this era but maybe that's because I was born in the late 60s and my parents missed the boat too. I remember Germaine Greer being on the tv, burning her bra and the 2nd wave of feminisim that arrived in NZ around the mid to late 70s (or perhaps just my perception that it happened then?), but don't remember anything before that.

Anyway this is a rolicking autobiography,
Peter Jansens
This book is in sheer contrast with those of Barry Miles, who describes the sixties as a somewhat weird but gentle era as British gentlemen normally use to do. Neville writes about police brutality, raw sex, dangerous drugs, mad people. Obviously he was some kind of an arsehole himself, trying to get all the pussy he could get, to stay in line with the sexual revolution. Germaine Greer hates him. Good book.
Marti
As an American reading this book, I was amazed at what goes in in a British courtroom. The trials of Oscar Wilde must have been somewhat similar (otherwise it would not have been remembered over 100 years later). Needless to say, this makes Alice in Wonderland look like a serious documentary. And just when you thought police brutality only existed in America.
Jonathan Edgington
A wickedly entertaining guide to the sixties - read it to reminisce or find out what you missed! Really interesting to look back now and see how the Establishment of the day dealt with the perceived threat of the hippie generation. Bring back Flower Power say I!
Bob Schnell
Starts slow in Australia but picks up speed in London. The obscenity trial and the description of the British justice system are gonzo. Freedom of speech activists should take notes.
Katie
I absolutely adored this peek into sixties sub culture. Neville is a charming guide to the world of Oz
Typewriter
This is a great book to read, especially at around half past five in the afternoon.
Mikael
why do hippie chicks look such babes when young and so so haggard when old ?
Silvana Rosso
Silvana Rosso marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
sondinivm
sondinivm marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Benjamin
Benjamin marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Noa
Noa marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Pedro Kerouac
Pedro Kerouac marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Sari La rue
Sari La rue marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Zapata Parra
Zapata Parra marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Cameron Brookhouse
Cameron Brookhouse marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Isaura
Isaura added it
Jul 19, 2014
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Pat Zilla
Pat Zilla marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Pamoriley
Pamoriley marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Morgleigh15
Morgleigh15 marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Life and Crimes of Charles Sobhraj Play Power: Exploring the International Underground Amerika Psycho: Behind Uncle Sam's Mask of Sanity Out of My Mind Playing Around