Start by marking “When Disaster Strikes: A Comprehensive Guide for Emergency Planning and Crisis Survival” as Want to Read:

Disasters often strike without warning and leave a trail of destruction in their wake. Yet armed with the right tools and information, survivors can fend for themselves and get through even the toughest circumstances. Matthew Stein's When Disaster Strikes provides a thorough, practical guide for how to prepare for and react in many of life's most unpredictable scenarios.

In
Published November 16th 2011 by Chelsea Green Publishing Company (first published October 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about When Disaster Strikes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Disaster Strikes

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
As a big fan of the TV show "Survivorman", and someone who loves to be prepared, I've always had a fondness for "survival" books, survival shows, and anything that could keep me alive should disaster strike. I'm happy to report that even though I thought I knew plenty, this book taught me even more. Not only was it educational but it was interesting as well.

Mr. Stein did an excellent job keeping the information clear & educational, without it sounding too technical!
American Redoubt
Mar 23, 2013 American Redoubt rated it really liked it
This is what I learned from this awesome book.

Seriously considering the dismal state of the U.S. economy, massive government debt and overspending, the money printing out of thin air by the Federal Reserve (QE3 - printing money like it's going out of style, because it IS going out of style), and the U.S. Debt to GDP ratio.

Thus, it seems time to get out of the stock market soon, cash in your IRA-401K paying the 10% penalty and get reinvested in tangibles like the "Five B's": 1.) Beans, 2.) Bullet
Greg
Apr 12, 2012 Greg rated it it was amazing
I've read lots of survival books and this is easily in the top three. I like its primary focus on natural and man made disasters, which I believe will impact more people than the apocalyptic events that about which most authors write.

The book is a great mix of skills, information, quick tips, lists of supplies, and references. If you are interested in being better prepared for anything, check this one out. It's a must read book for anyone who wants to be better prepared.

The author is an engineer
James
Nov 08, 2012 James rated it it was amazing
I think this book is absolutely necessary to anyone who could face any sort of crisis in the United States. I bought this book to prepare my spouse and I for the worst and every house we live in I prepare it for the worst. I got my book at this website : http://acordj.gps5.com/shop.php?c=7&a...
Marc
Oct 30, 2012 Marc rated it it was amazing
Just started reading this book. I highly recommend everyone, especially those on the highly earthquake prone west coast to read it and get prepared. Not only for any natural disasters but the looming and inevitable financial disaster that could unravel at any moment.
Carisa Burns
Sep 19, 2012 Carisa Burns rated it liked it
This wasn't exactly the kind of information I was looking for but definitely good things to know in case of a major crisis.
John Jenkins
Feb 06, 2013 John Jenkins rated it really liked it
Very worth reading and even more importantly adding to your collection. Gives you a good reference on the steps needed to stay safe and perhaps even thrive in a disaster scenario.
Brandon
Brandon rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2012
Charles Etgen
Charles Etgen rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Aubrey B
Aubrey B rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2012
Ty
Ty rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2015
Katie Lindeburg
Katie Lindeburg rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2013
Paritosh Chaudhary
Paritosh Chaudhary rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2011
Mikhael Brown
Mikhael Brown rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2016
W. E. Lahr
W. E. Lahr rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Darrick Smith
Darrick Smith rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2016
Karen Miller
Feb 06, 2014 Karen Miller rated it it was amazing
This book was what I needed to get ready for emergencies that do and will happen.
Robert E
Robert E rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Mark Berger
Mark Berger rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2014
Francine Sanders
Francine Sanders rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Keith Veeder
Keith Veeder rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2016
Betsy Thiede
Betsy Thiede rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Gary
Gary rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2013
Chelsea Green  Publishing
Chelsea Green Publishing rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2012
Daniel M. Spahn
Daniel M. Spahn rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2013
Isaac
Isaac rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2013
Coady Brown
Coady Brown rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2015
Kevin Maxwell
Kevin Maxwell rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2013
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2013
David
David rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2012
Matthew Stein holds a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from MIT. He is an engineer, author and building contractor. He has also worked as a schoolteacher, carpenter, and rock climbing and ski instructor. As the owner of Aloha Aina Builders, Stein has built hurricane resistant, energy efficient and environmentally friendly homes. As a mechanical engineer and president of Stein Design, ...more
More about Matthew Stein...