Start by marking “Blue Gold (NUMA Files, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blue Gold (NUMA Files, #2)

Blue Gold (NUMA Files #2)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  5,766 ratings  ·  124 reviews
A Kurt Austin Adventure In Serpent, his New York Times bestseller, Clive Cussler introduced Kurt Austin, a hero for the new millennium, and created a new bunch of NUMA supersleuths who infused his work with a...jolt of energy (The Denver Post). Now Austin and his crew slake their thirst for action as they attempt to drown an eco-extortionist's plan to control the world's f ...more
Published August 1st 2000 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Blue Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Gold

This is the only Cussler I've read, so maybe it's a bad sampling, but bottom line, Cussler has too much tell and not enough show in his writing. You could make a great drinking game out of taking a shot for every explained simile/analogy. His heroes are too perfect and his villains are... also pretty perfect, so nobody has any flaws to overcome. All his notable women are shapely and dedicated to working out at the gym, and all his notable men are playboys who love jazz and beautiful, shapely wom ...more
I've never read Cussler, but I really enjoyed the movie version of his book Sahara, and this NUMA Files tale was no less exciting. Nor does it star Dirk Pitt.

To begin, Dr. Francesca Cabral has discovered a process that can cheaply and efficiently desalinate water, and is on her way to the UN to present her findings and give the process to the world for free. But someone else has other things in mind, and her plane never makes it out of South America, crashing deep in the jungle.

Ten years later,
Ken E
Currently reading. I've read Cussler's books since I was a teenager. It was a habit I obtained from my father. I was fairly certain I had read all of them (except for the most recent two), but I came across this one at the Niantic Book Barn.

All of Cussler's stories are pretty much the same:
1) Some fictional historical event occurs which causes some important object to become lost and subsequently forgotten.

2) Modern-day megalomaniac James Bond villain-type is placing in motion a scheme to take o
" Gamay furrowed her brow as she examined the flat, round object. 'A mirror? It appears that vanity is not confined to women.'"

"Zavala had a deserved reputation as a ladies man, so his ears perked up at the mention of a woman."

"The old ring aficionados used to say that a good big man can beat a good small man any day. Zavala hoped the same truism didn't apply to a big woman"

"The fact that they hid something underwater indicates that they don't want anyone to know what they are doing."

"They talke
Morris Graham
Since this was another NUMA book, I mistakenly thought I was getting another Dirk Pitt novel. Clive Cussler does tell an interesting story, though. In previous stories, Cussler has had his villains manipulate other resources, like oil, to try to gain power. This time is the most vital and valuable element of all: fresh drinking water. I did not like this as much as a Dirk Pit novel, but I did like it. Cussler and Kemprecos work together and draw from Cussler's extensive deep-sea knowledge, and s ...more
Sian Wadey
Blue Gold by Clive Cussler

I'm a massive fan of Clive Cussler and all his works, especially Dirk Pitt, Kurt Austin and the new Isaac Bell stories. As expected, Blue Gold is a great addition to the collection. The story features Kurt Austin and Joe Zavala, a recent addition to Cussler's world. It's classic Cussler, spans over years and is full of action and adventure.
A story that was written in 2000 seems eerily like the truth of today. The earth is drying up and we need to have a way to make clean drinking water. And make it so it's free and accessible to the whole world. This time it takes the whole NUMA team to figure out this mess. We've got a Billionaire corporation buying up all the land and water rights around the world, attempting to make all water privatized so everyone will have to pay for it. Along comes someone who knows a way to make clean water ...more
Sometimes I just need to read these mindless predictable books.
Teo Hoppe
Clive Cussler's knack for writing tales that seem beyond belief astounds me. In Blue Gold, he weaves such a fantastic tale that one wonders if it might possibly be true - were there trans-Atlantic ocean crossings that brought many different ethnicities together? How can one explain the different facial features in the rock carvings around the world, representing cultures that have never been found to exist in places like Mexico? Fantastic story, completely believable!
Cussler's new tag-team of ag
Clive Cussler once had my attention. His books were well-researched, he seemed to understand a great deal about geology, archaeology, etc. and the first few Dirk Pitt novels I read were outstanding.

Over the years, his books have slowly lost their appeal to me. They seem to grown in absurdity and unimaginative coincidences.

I thought it might be different to read some of the stuff he has written with other authors. Would the Austin novels be rehash of the Pitt novels, or could other authors bring
Douglas Cook
Cussler's books are enjoyable and quick reads. This is no exception.

First paragraph
WITH A POWERFUL KICK from its twin turbofan engines, the sleek executive jet lifted off the runway and shot into the vaulted skies above São Paulo. Climbing rapidly over the biggest city in South America, the Learjet soon reached its cruising altitude of thirty-nine thousand feet and raced toward the northwest at five hundred miles an hour. Seated in a comfortable rear-facing chair at the back of the cabin, Profe
Inhoud: Dr. Francesca Cabril heeft een even spectaculaire als goedkope methode ontwikkeld om zeewater te ontzilten.
Als ze onderweg is om deze uitvinding te presenteren op een wereldcongres, verdwijnt haar vliegtuig boven de jungle. Tien jaar later zijn onderzoekers van het NUMA bezig met een studie van de Amazonerivier. Een dode indiaan in een kano dwingt hen tot een speurtocht, die hen leidt tot bij Dr. Cabril, nu opperhoofd en godin van de indianenstam.
Elders sterven walvissen een mysterieuze
Bill Sheridan
Another unique plot from Cussler in the NUMA series provides an entertaining read providing, like many Cussler novels, you allow your sense of reality some leeway. I don't have a problem with doing this as I usually read fiction to escape from reality. The blue gold is, of course, water, the supply of which one individual wants to monopolise and control for the world. A fast moving a fairly gripping novel which you probably won't want to put down.
It's not extraordinarily well-written, the plot is a little weird, and the characters are all incredibly one-dimensional and pretty boring. But if you can get past all that, it's not bad.

It's kind of like indulging in a meaningless action movie. You really only watch it for the action. Unfortunately, that doesn't work quite as well with literature, but Clive Cussler does an admirable job. The book is fun enough and exciting enough to pass as an okay action novel, and I will continue to read the
One of the early Kurt Austin books - number 2 I think. Blue Gold is, of course, water. It has all the hallmarks of a Clive Cussler novel - Paul and Gamay in one part of the world, Kurt and Joe in another part but the problems they encounter are related. So many coincidences. Paul and Gamay rescue a scientist who went missing 10 years before. The scientist was on her way to the UN to share her invention which would turn salty water potable while also producing energy. What a good person. She ends ...more
Blue Gold is typical Clive Cussler adventure. Listened to it on CD while driving. It was a good time passer, and the hero won in the end. But didn't save the heroine. That was a bit of a twist. This story is good for Clive Cussler adventure fans, but is not memorable literature. The fact the the villian was an intelligent, tall, ambitious woman cooled my enthusiasm. Why is it that non-petite females are threatening to males?? (Yes, I am tall). At least Mr. Cussler let her be incredibly smart.
In the 2nd installment of Clive Cussler's Kurt Austen NUMA series, Blue Gold, he took us on another adventurous journey. For Kurt as the crew leader of NUMA, this sent him into the heart of the Amazonian jungle in South America. When he looked into the deaths of rare whales, someone tried to put him and his mini sub out of commission. A special NUMA crew were in Venezuela that were searching for the legendary white goddess and became the target of bio-pirates who have intentions of stealing medi ...more
Unfortunately somewhat disappointed with this one. Not up to regular standards. There were a few good lines, but with a different main character and a different co-author from what I am used to, this one just fell flat. Not as intellectual as the Dirk Pitt adventures, and the antagonists were too easily and simply dispatched. Total 'meh'.
Rosie Beck
I love reading Cussler but this is an early book (number 2 with Kurt Austin. Preposterous pitot, silly secondary plot and cardboard characters. Poorly done. Read some newer titles as he develops into a better writer.
Easy read. Clive Cussler is always good to read when I don't want to think about to much. I do like the Dirk Pitt books better though. Maybe that is because I read those when I was younger?
Mary Kenyon
I miss the days when Clive Cussler wrote about Dirk Pitt and his adventures. But this collaboration wasn't too bad. It did have a few of the favorite characters from NUMA.
Kyle Times
First Clive Cussler book I've read and I'm not disappointed. The plot requires a little more suspension of disbelief than I'm used to but overall a fun read
It was OK. Plodding writing and hard to get to that suspension of disbelief in several cases with a villain and two henchmen straight out of a comic book.
Decent read and interesting. Particularly since the majority of the globe seems unaware of the looming crisis arising from access to potable water.
Tim Corke
Cussler is a master of storytelling and Blue Gold takes some beating. It is packed with excitement and portrays the lives of the NUMA agents as a dream job that anyone would love to have. Blue Gold takes a modern-day issue, water access, and creates a wonderfully, huge conspiracy where a single corporation has complete control over the world's supplies. It is hugely entertaining and the culmination of different plots into one is done seamlessly and with lots of "Hollywood".

It surely cant be too
Nathan Beck
Book 2 in the NUMA files. I'm starting to like the characters in the story but I'm having trouble relating to any of them. This book was not as scattered as the first though, defiantly worth the read if you made it through "Serpent".
I liked it better than the first Kurt Austin book. The megalomaniacal baddie was slightly more sane in this book and the logic driving this bad guy made more sense.
very short bookand you can tell it was an earlier cussler book.
Too many stereotype make for good action movie script but a very poor book...
Another fun read in typical Cussler style. Interesting story line about controlling the world's water supply.
  • Pandora's Curse (Philip Mercer #4)
  • H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)
  • Plan of Attack (Patrick McLanahan, #12)
  • Spyder Web (Nolan Kilkenny Mystery, #1)
  • Death and Honor (Honor Bound, #4)
  • Hong Kong (Jake Grafton, #8)
  • Leviathan (Event Group Thriller #4)
  • The Cult Of Osiris (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #5)
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more
More about Clive Cussler...

NUMA Files (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Serpent (NUMA Files, #1)
  • Fire Ice (NUMA Files, #3)
  • White Death (NUMA Files, #4)
  • Lost City (NUMA Files, #5)
  • Polar Shift (NUMA Files, #6)
  • The Navigator (NUMA Files, #7)
  • Medusa (NUMA Files, #8)
  • Devil's Gate (NUMA Files, #9)
  • The Storm (NUMA Files, #10)
  • Zero Hour (NUMA Files, #11)

“sepulchre as was the custom of the Norsemen.” 0 likes