Start by marking “Escape the Diet Trap” as Want to Read:
Escape the Diet Trap

Escape the Diet Trap

Offering a science-based and sustainable approach to weight loss that works with the body, not against it, 'Escape the Diet Trap' reveals how to achieve lasting weight control, without calorie-counting, extensive exercise or hunger.
Published January 1st 2012 by Fourth Estate

To ask other readers questions about Escape the Diet Trap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Escape the Diet Trap

Kinga
Sep 09, 2015 Kinga rated it liked it
I read this book based on my GP's recommendation and I would probably recommend it to people, even though I’m not going to follow it to the letter myself. I think I’ve now reached the point in my life where I’m quite happy with my lifestyle, my diet and the way my body looks. I’m not susceptible to weird emotional food binges and I still like cake.

I think the gist of this book is: fat is good, carbs are bad, processed foods are really bad, you don’t really need tons of exercise to lose weight.

M
Kate
Feb 29, 2012 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: lent-to-me
I started off thinking this was a really great book the discussion and explanation around why being overweight is not good for your overall health was very easy to understand. Dr Briffa provides excellent referencing for his statements but the constant need to debunk current theory became a little tedious. I also noticed when he started prescribing his food plans etc all referencing died away and we were to take his word for it.

I have finished feeling unsatisfied (much like I would if I never at
Augustine
Sep 03, 2013 Augustine rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book - it didn't bang on and on. I found it easy to read but I do like this type of book. It's a book that I will read again as it had so many interesting bits - studies etc.
This book encouraged me to look at the New Atkins and also re-think Paleo. It's working and I'm losing without the violent mood swings of Dukan ... I'm a nice person again.
maggie
Feb 16, 2015 maggie rated it it was amazing
Finally I have a handle on the essential reasons why eating 'primally' is the best thing for our bodies. There are other books (eg The Paleo Solution) that are, I'm sure, scientifically sound but which overwhelm me with leptins, lectins and molecular structure. John Briffa presents his material in a reasonable, realistic and achievable way (exactly like his talks) and somehow more Britishly. I feel the upward call to more protein.
Sue
Sep 25, 2012 Sue rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health-matters
Similar to Gary Taubes "Why we get fat, and what to do about it", but with extra bits about our diet culture and what it does to us.

If you would really like to loose weight and keep it off for good, and understand why and how to live the rest of your life to support your body rather than abuse it, then you should read this book.
Eleanor
May 11, 2015 Eleanor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This added to my determination to try a low carb high fat diet - I've now completed 3 weeks of one and have never felt better. I am also 7 pounds down without any calorie counting - which is frankly a miracle.
Freya
May 31, 2012 Freya rated it really liked it
Very interesting reading - makes a lot of sense from an evolutionary point of view. If all of this is true then the Government and health agencies seriously need to revisit the advice they're currently giving out...
Marion Husband
Jul 02, 2013 Marion Husband rated it it was amazing
More of the low card stuff - very interesting and sensible, but I was sad when he wrote that the waist measurement for healthy women is lower than others have quoted...Oh well, what's an inch or tw betweent friends?
Jim Turner
Mar 25, 2013 Jim Turner rated it it was amazing
Excellent evidence-based summary of the many pros and few cons of a low-carb lifestyle, written in an engaging style primarily for British readers.
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2015
Kerris Mayes
Kerris Mayes rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Lucy
Lucy rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2015
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2014
Daniel Mowatt
Daniel Mowatt rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2016
Anne Roberts
Anne Roberts rated it it was ok
Feb 13, 2015
Mrs Susan M Siggs
Mrs Susan M Siggs rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2016
Dolci Carloni
Dolci Carloni rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2014
Sarah Prest
Sarah Prest rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2015
Sally
Sally rated it did not like it
May 15, 2014
David Schofield
David Schofield rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2013
Fiddlesticks
Fiddlesticks rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2012
Katelyn
Katelyn rated it did not like it
Sep 25, 2012
Caroline Cary
Caroline Cary rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Lesley Thomas
Lesley Thomas rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2015
Helen Browne
Helen Browne rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2015
久保田佳代
久保田佳代 rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Sarah rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2014
Ida
Ida rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2014