Start by marking “The Waters of Star Lake: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Waters of Star Lake: A Novel

The Waters of Star Lake: A Novel

3.06 of 5 stars 3.06  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Newly widowed Natalie Waters expects only nostalgia and solitude at her quiet, rustic cabin. But the wilderness conceals more than one perilous mystery. Where in Wisconsin’s Northwoods did the notorious gangster John Dillinger hide $210,000 following a violent FBI shootout? And why do the local timberwolves incite so much rage among Natalie’s neighbors?
As predators circle
Published July 12th 2012 by University of Wisconsin Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Waters of Star Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Waters of Star Lake

Margee
A diverting Halloween read: Wisconsin native Nell Grendon visits the Wocanaga Spiritualist Camp, interested in learning about mediumship. When she decides to fake her intuitive talents, she inexplicably sees the ghost of a murder victim from long ago, and finds herself channeling a 1920s movie actress--unforeseen complications.
Marathon County Public Library MCPL
A widow returns to her family cabin looking for relief from the sorrow of losing her husband. Soon she is caught up with a neighbor's quest for lost treasure, the dispute over wolf reintroduction, and an errant granddaughter's visit. For anyone that has spent time in Northern Wisconsin this book can be fun. The descriptions of the lakes, woods, and cottages return one to summers in the North. The treasure hunt is for Dillinger's lost cash on the night he was rousted from the Little Bohemia. Agai ...more
Sherry (sethurner)
sthurner

o Rated 3 stars

“"May I come to you?"

According to Spring Green author Sara Rath, this is the question that a medium should ask of her subject before delivering a spirit message. Rath, whose first book Star Lake Saloon and Housekeeping Cottages is also set in Wisconsin, has penned a novel that cannot decide if it is spooky, romantic or slapstick. By trying to be all three, it fails to be any of them.

Elenora Grendon, a divorced writer whose children and grandchildren live in far-flung loca
Julie F.
I wanted to read this book because it is written by a local author (Spring Green) and based on the Spiritualist Camp in my hometown (Wonewoc - even though the name is changed in the book). It was fun to read the description of a familiar place through a visitor's eyes. I didn't know much about Spiritualism or the beliefs that it was based on, so it was interesting to learn more.
The main character is a writer who comes to the camp on assignment for a travel magazine. She finds herself more inter
Elizabeth
I am interested in new ideas and the supernatural. However, this book was even a little out there for me. The protagonist, Nell, discovers that she has psychic powers when she is writing an article about a place called the Wocanaga Spiritualist Camp (loosely based on the Wonewoc Spiritualist Camp here in Wisconsin) and is encouraged to take classes by one of the practioners named Grace. During the course of the story, Nell begins to channel a spirit named Angella. Nell is simultaneously leading ...more
Marjanne
This book had an unusual plot from what I normally read, though having read a lot about the paranormal lately it kind of fits in too. The characters were interesting and so was the story. I liked that it wasn't really predictable, but the characters were consistent. I liked that there was a little bit of everything in this book. The author did a good job of weaving the past and present story of the main character with out seeming too choppy. I would give this a 3.5 stars if I could.
Kari Koehler
Oddly enough - I was walking through the library with a dif book that I was all set to start diving into. I was walking past and put that book down and randomly checked out this book!

It is a great book - I am just on the verge of finishing it! It is based right here in my home state and at a spiritualist camp that I have been meaning to visit! Now I will make that an even higher priority! Funny - that life plans for us!
Valerie Husom
I happen to catch the 1st chapter on WPR's "Chapter a Day", and got a copy from my library, and zoomed through it! It was a great, fun story. A little love, a little mystery, some ghosts & spirit visits, a great story! I've researched the Wonewoc Spiritualist Camp at their website - http://www.campwonewoc.com/, and I'm excited about going on a weekend retreat next spring/summer.
Caroline
Fairly entertaining novel about a writer who, while investigating Spiritualism at Spook Hill, discovers her own psychic abilities. The novel tried a little too hard to be whimsical, with the author using way too many exclamation points and parenthetical asides. The story suffered from a lack of focus, never deciding if it was a romance, a comedy, or a thriller.
Mary
Apr 01, 2012 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mary by: picked it up at the Fitchburg library
I really enjoyed this book, but there were long gaps in my reading progress. I had to renew it twice. Therefore, I had some trouble recalling some of the details. In general, I liked the back and forth story telling and loved the descriptions of both Madison and "Little Wolf". I also loved the dog named Henry.
Laurie
This was a disappointing book...the story was interesting; enough so that I wanted to finish it, but the writing was disorganized and I found that I resented the protaganist's (and the author's?) attitude toward Spiritualism, something I don't even know if I believe in.
Roz
A fictional look at mediumship ... the description of the Spiritualist camp that Nell visits is the most interesting part of the book. Seems she based it on a place that actually exists in Wisconsin (with a little of the amazing Lily Dale of New York mixed in!)
Sara Kuhl
Portions of this book were just too unbelievable. Not the spiritualist references but the character actions. Overly written in places. I did, however, enjoy references to Madison and surrounding area.
Shelly
I was disappointed with this book. The writing was choppy; Nell and Polly sounded sophmoric and campy. I was expecting the author to delve more into the Wonewoc Spiritualist Camp.
Liz
The (current hard back) cover is totally misleading! This book is hilarious & engaging. I loved Nell, the narrator. Great supporting characters too.
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Joel
Joel added it
Jul 25, 2014
Jeannie Hudson
Jeannie Hudson marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Ksenia
Ksenia marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Bonnie Helbach
Bonnie Helbach marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Kristi
Kristi marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2013
Christy Adler
Christy Adler marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Star Lake Saloon and Housekeeping Cottages: A Novel The Waters of Star Lake The Complete Cow True Cow Tales: Literary Sketches And Stories By Farmers, Ranchers, And Dairy Princesses H. H. Bennett, Photographer: His American Landscape