Sunrunner's Fire (Dragon Prince, #3)

Sunrunner's Fire (Dragon Prince #3)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  4,879 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Andry, the new Sunrunner Lord of Goddess Keep, must master potentially deadly magical knowledge before he can confront the ancietn foe who nearly destroyed the Sunrunners ages ago. But the enemy is mobilizing to strike again, drawing on forbidden lore to play an ever-shifting game of treachery and betrayal....more
Published August 2nd 2005 by DAW Trade (first published 1990)

Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
188th out of 768 books — 1,503 voters
Mistborn by Brandon SandersonThe Eye of the World by Robert JordanThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Way of Shadows by Brent WeeksGraceling by Kristin Cashore
Fantasy Books That Should Be Movies
90th out of 457 books — 446 voters

More lists with this book...

Drew Patrick Smith
Jul 06, 2011 Drew Patrick Smith rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fantasy Fans
Review from the PFS Book Club...

What I Liked: This book is a well-crafted (plot-wise, at least) ending to the Dragon Princetrilogy, nicely tying up the Rohan versus Roelstra and his family vein that started in the first book. There are revelations a plenty, but in what might be Rawn's greatest move, most of them are character-driven, not plot-based or world-building based. The strongest moments in this book come from the characters, especially a heated series of moments towards the end of the bo...more
Vickstar
And the conclusion to my re-reading of this trilogy; it was fantastic, I enjoyed it and I'm sure I'll do it again. The saga continues with more battles, intrigue, and character driven plot. A negative point was that the major plot was similar to some of the events in Book 2 The Star Scroll although this is explicitly stated in the narrative and the (reasonable) reasons why something similar was occurring again were explored. Much like GRRMGeorge R R Martin, Melanie Rawn is not afraid to kill off...more
Dara
Wanted to see how the series turned out. Can't say that I was captivated by the whole thing. My biggest complaint is calling this series the Dragon Prince. It would've been much more fitting to name it the Desert Prince as the "dragon" part is more than a little misleading. Learning about the diarmadhi and the differences between them and the faradhi was interesting. Didn't realize it until I closed my Nook but I found I was relieved when I finished the series.
Gemma
Whilst "Sunrunners Fire" is the last of the Dragon Prince novels it doesn't really conclude the series (except for tying up the plot line contained within the novel itself), instead reading like book 3 of 6 with the series then progressing to the Dragon Star novels/trilogy. This is probably my least favourite of the three (mainly because I felt the characterisation to be a bit lacking, especially when compared to the first two novels), but still an enjoyable read (hence the 4 star rating), and l...more
Markus
Nov 03, 2007 Markus rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
This book is the third in the Dragon Prince Saga again it starts out to be a very politically oriented story line but turns into a great saga. The story keep your attention and takes you into a world of High Princes and Sunrunner Magick. It is a good read for any dragon and fantacy lover.
Adobe
75-percent of this book concerns people painstakingly discussing what they just did, what they're going to do, and what they might do. I'm not sure why. It's not like any of these people are brilliant Machiavellian statesmen. Their motivations/actions should be easily discernible. Also, there's dragons.

It's possible that this naval-gazing is a brilliant structural reflection of the main theme: protagonist Pol struggles with Hamlet's dilemma between satisfying barbaric violence and agonizing civi...more
Joy
I wrapped up my reread of this trilogy earlier this week, and enjoyed it almost as much as the first time around. I remembered some of the story, including the slow-motion trainwreck that is Pol and Meiglan, but not all of the details so it was nice to read the story again. The writing in this book is still very good, with additional detail as needed but resting on the world already built in the previous two books without unnecessary repetition. The characters who were teenagers in the second bo...more
Bellish
Jun 18, 2008 Bellish rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes fantasy
Recommended to Bellish by: my local library
Shelves: old-favourites
It's difficult to review these books objectively, as I am biased by 10 years of undying love for them. Ultimately Melanie's main strengths are in creating complex, involving characters and political machinations that are believable, compelling and equally complex. The combination is unbeatable: with literally dozens of characters in each book thoroughly developed, the conflicts and intrigues become that much more enjoyable. I would contrast this directly with writers such as Jacqueline Carey, wi...more
Nell
Pol is even more annoying and pointless this go-around. Even while his parents think perhaps he doesn't need another Sioned (his mother) to rule and I place little blame on his chosen wife, Pol himself needs a good lesson in growing up because he's superficial and dull, if smart.
Sarah Wagner
The story of the High Prince Rohan, who endeavors to transform the continent on which he rules into a land ruled by law, and his wife Sioned, a powerful and fiery Sunrunner, continues in this volume of Melanie Rawn series. With the political infighting and internal family conflicts typical of this series, this novel brings the tension between Sunrunners and those of the Old Blood to a critical level in the form of a battle between Rohan's heir Pol and one of the few surviving grandsons of the ol...more
Jenni
I loved Sunrunner’s Fire. The story has elements for everyone, such as romance, adventure, fantasy, and conflict. I found the story to be riveting from beginning to end.

One of the reasons I loved Sunrunner’s Fire is that it’s the end of the trilogy so most of the events that had been brewing during the trilogy finally came to an end. The diarmadh’im had a more central role in the story, which I thought was very interesting as I learned more about their powers and saw a glimpse of the reason for...more
Helen Corcoran
Andry, what in the blazes are you DOING? What are you becoming?
Paul
Again, a nice romp. Never any doubt that the good guys will succeed. Most of the drama in the first trilogy is psychological and has to do with the extremely fraught circumstances surrounding a certain conception and birth. It's been too long for me to sort out all the plot details, as these two trilogies are generational books spanning the time from the young adulthood of the Dragon Prince and his wife until their old age.
Diane
I remember now why I stopped reading the series. It's not that the story became any less epic, but... I stopped liking the main character. And his foil has become mindlessly evil, which is just ... stupid.

So yes, it wraps up a bunch of things and then also sets the stage for the next trilogy, but I admit I don't like the main protagonists well enough to want to continue. Ah well.
Linda
I just love this series, this one is not as good as the first two, mostly I feel this way because this second generation is fairly whinny as they come into the story, they get better in the next 3 which is good. I like the power struggle and the addition of the new threat and how it doesn't automatically make everyone like each other and work together.
Omly
The third in this series, this book is deeply entangled in the politics already established in the previous two books. This is not a series to jump into in the middle. Having said that, I don't find that these first three are necessarily my favorites, though they are all good. Like previous books there are strong themes of sexuality and violence.
David
A great conclusion to the trilogy. Melanie Rawn continues to dazzle with her skill at character development and bringing them all to life at their interactions with each other. The surprising yet tragic plot twists at the end will surely resonate well with the readers, and I think it meant to set things up for the next trilogy.
Readz
The last book of the trilogy, though I must say that Andry did not become a favorite character. In fact, he becomes less likable. However, neither would I like a pat, trite outcome for this cast of characters. Andry's left turn away from the ideals of his family is actually more true to life than any make believe.
Bryan Johnson
This book is really amazing as of now. It use's very complex words and is hard to understand at times. So you might have to re-read most of it. It doesn't say who the time traveler is tho! It just say's the "time travler" came back from his time travel. So its very weird book, its as if its set in the 1900s.
Ralinda Aspey
I didn't like the way this one ended. I thought Pol was both arrogant and dull, Rohan was whiney, and everyone else was just boring. The only exception to that was Sionell--she, at least, had a spine. All in all, the only thing that can be said is that this book had a lot of words but said very little.
Debby Allen
Even though I've read these any number of times, I read it still interested in what comes next. Bad memory or good writing? Everyone s complex and torn by wants, needs, duty and obligation. The Star Scroll felt a little transition-y, but this one moved forward under it's own pressure.
Caroline
I enjoyed these when I was a pre-teen, but remember them being pretty trashy. Despite that, I read the entire series in quick succession after being recommended them by a friend, and pretty quickly forgot everything about them, so they're definitely not all that memorable.
Heather
Oct 16, 2008 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans, dragon lovers
Recommended to Heather by: My Brother
Shelves: fantasy
The third Dragon Prince book. It is the shortest of the three and while I like it, I continued to dislike Pol and his love interest Meiglan even more. She's insipid and he's a casanova turned good boy because he's smitten.

Other than that I loved the book.
Chris
It was difficult to keep the many characters straight when some had very similar names, and they were all unfamiliar: Sioned & Sionell; Rialt, Riyan, Ruala, Rusalka, & Ruval. Perhaps if I read the two prior books I may have known them better.
Karyn
I think this was a really interesting way to finish the first part of the trilogy. The plot was still very character driven, thought the turning of one character was completely unexpected to me. I really recommend it for casual fantasy enthusiasts
Lorie
The third in the series; my favourite (non-Tolkein) fantasy trilogy, I re-read them every few years. The character development is very good, the magic is unique and the dragon relationships are exceptional.
Marie
I love a book that I can't figure out ahead of time. I knew the main thread and where we were headed but there were a lot of little twists that kept me guessing. I enjoyed the story very much.
Jo Golding
Although I enjoyed this book, started to get a bit annoyed with one of the characters (who comes across as smug and a pain in the bum at time). Not sure if I am going to read the next trilogy
Emily
It's not easy to maintain the quality through three big books, but Rawn does so. Sunrunner's Fire is every bit as good as the first two books in the series. Read them if you haven't already!
Lynn
It is a toss up for me on the best epic fantasy series. I think my favorites would be Rawn, Tolkien, Williams & Eddings but had to follow my heart and say this series was the best for me.
Sympathy for the Devil 1 15 Jun 11, 2012 01:05PM
  • Daughter of the Lion (Chronicles of the Cheysuli, #6)
  • The Uncrowned King (The Sun Sword, #2)
  • The Paladin of the Night
  • In the Ruins (Crown of Stars, #6)
  • The Stone Prince (Branion, #1)
  • Shadowfane (The Cycle of Fire, #3)
Melanie Rawn received a BA in history from Scripps College and worked as a teacher and editor before becoming a writer.

She has been nominated for a Locus award on three separate occasions: in 1989 for Dragon Prince (in the first novel category), in 1994 for Skybowl (in the fantasy novel category), and again in 1995 for Ruins of Ambrai (in the fantasy novel category).

More about Melanie Rawn...
Dragon Prince (Dragon Prince, #1) Stronghold (Dragon Star, #1) Skybowl (Dragon Star, #3) The Ruins of Ambrai (Exiles, #1) The Star Scroll (Dragon Prince, #2)