Demon Bait (Children of the Undying, #0.5)

Demon Bait (Children of the Undying 0.5)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  195 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Fifty years after a demon apocalypse devastated the world, summoners still bear the bulk of the blame. Marci lives in secret, hiding the gifts that could cost her a secure spot in one of humanity’s underground cities, and access to their virtual world. After all, her chances of avoiding the genetic-testing lotto are better than her chances of surviving topside.

The bastard...more
Published 2011 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Demon Bait, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Demon Bait

Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: November 29, 2012
Publisher: Samhain
Imprint: N/A
Author’s Website: http://www.moirarogers.com
My Source for This Book: Gift from the author (Bree)
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 1, Children of the Undying.
Series Best Read In Order: N/A
Steam Level: Hot

Clocking in at only around 100 pages, Demon Bait packs quite a bit of punch for what could be considered a relatively low word count. With a captivating u...more
Susi
Demon Bait is set in a post-apocalyptic world where humans live rotted together in small, mostly underground settlements to escape the wraith of the demons. Humans are technologically advanced but all their knowledge about virtual reality won’t save them from the threat that awaits them on the planet. There’s not only demons around- magically talented humans live in the midth of the population, too. But the majority seems to be too scared to admit them into their society. So they have to hide wh...more
Dahlia (yadkny)
Nov 16, 2011 Dahlia (yadkny) rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paranormal Lovers
The world is surrounded in bleakness and chaos as a result of a demon apocalypse, which has left humanity to rebuild underground and through a virtual network. Even so, there are separate factions that exist with peoples thriving under different levels of security and culture.

Gabe's proven his worth in infiltration and blending in with the humans as a half-blood demon. It is on his latest assignment that he encounters a summoner who's magic is too much to resist and everything he needs. When he...more
Kelly
Oh, Moira Rogers, you had me at "demon apocalypse". I would have been perfectly happy wandering the broken cities and watching our heroes dodge demons but you gave us so much more. You gave us a sexy half demon who tries to do the right thing and somehow goes about it all wrong. You gave us a woman who's spent her whole life hiding who she is and is damn good at keeping in the shadows. You gave us those broken cities with the added bonus of a fall out shelter to hole up in. Bliss!

I really loved...more
Erika  Badass
This is a cool and interesting novella world. I look forward to more, and hope they expound on it and create some full length novels so I can learn more.

Fuller review to come.

Paranormal Haven

It's fifty years after the demon apocalypse and most people now live in underground cities where they spend a lot of time in a virtual world. Marci is a network technician who lives in fear of being randomly selected for genetic-testing. She's part summoner and if anyone finds out, there will be terrible consequences. No one is aware of her secret except for the sexy and dangerous Gabe.

Gabe is part incubus from an outcast settlement and it's his job to do what he can to find trade for h...more
Brenda
I won an ARC of Demon Bait, and finished it last night at 1 a.m. I will start out saying I'm a fangirl of Moira Rogers and their shifter stories. I buy them automatically as soon as they come out. Reading about Demon Bait beforehand I was fascinated and a bit apprehensive. Would I love it as much as their other stories? I need not have worried because it was amazing.

How to describe Demon Bait? It's sci fi, post-apocalyptic, paranormal romance. It's about freedom, facing fears, being true to your...more
Saritza
Felt like pieces of the backstory and world building were cut off or should just be understood by the reader from the book blurb. Problem is I didn't read the book blurb until the end because book is formatted to have it at end or via TOC. Book opens in Kindle app on first page of chapter so I just started reading then felt a bit lost.

Summary: His mark could bind her forever—or finally set her free.

Children of the Undying, Book 1

Fifty years after a demon apocalypse devastated the world, summone
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Nov 06, 2011 Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) by: Review request by author
Posted on Under the Covers

At the words “Demon Apocalypse” I knew I’d be interested in reading Moira Rogers’s first book in the Children of the Undying series. Marci is a summoner, a smart and independent woman who has gifts far beyond comprehension. Unfortunately, living in one of the underground cities, she is vulnerable and her powers are muted. But what other option does she have? It’s better than living topside.

Enter Gabe - a half-demon who has got some serious charm. When Gabe offers Marci...more
Carolyn (Book Chick City)
Guest Reviewed by Julia from 'All Things Urban Fantasy' for www.BookChickCity.com

In "Demon Bait" Moira Rogers has created a magically-charged, dystopian landscape with just the right amount of action, world building, and romance. Rogers’ world is reminiscent of the dynamic in Nalini Singh's Psy/Changling series. Not that our heroine has been emotionally neutered, just that the life for people in mainstream communities has been... sanitized. Breaking social boundaries and forging out into the fro...more
Ally
The bastard son of a terrifying incubus, lust heats Gabe’s blood and sex fuels his magic. Innate charm and charisma help him navigate th...more
Pamela / SpazP
Moira Rogers whisks us away into a futuristic world with Demon Bait, the first book in their Children of the Undying series and quite a powerful ride! I don't typically read this genre much, but was curious, because hey, it's Moira Rogers, y'all! In this post-apocalyptic story, the humans have banded together underground and through virtual networks, and demons walk the earth and dominate it.

Marci is a human summoner who is smart and savvy and working as a network programmer. Before the Fall, th...more
Lillie
See the full review at: Read My Mind

My Review:
Honest truth, I have never read a Moira Rogers novella or novel that I didn’t like. So, right off, DEMON BAIT is not going to be the exception. In fact, I would say with DEMON BAIT, Rogers has really stepped up her game. I love science-fiction and cyber fiction and romance. Rogers has combined all of these in this latest novella.

Though the page count is short and the pace is quick, I didn’t feel as if anything was missing from the plot. This is one...more
Cecile
I was given this book for my honest thoughts, so let's get started shall we....

This is kinda a short story... And if you know me, you know the drill. I do not judge books bases on size of the story...

Ms. Moira is a very talented author and she is one of my favorites. So, when I was asked to review Demon Bait, I was excited... but then...I noticed it was on the side of Sci-Fi and that is not my particularly favorite genre... But, I knew that as far as my reading has gone so far, Ms. Moira has NOT...more
CaroleDee
3.5 Stars

Post apocalyptic, sci-fi, paranormal romance? Yeah, it's a mouthful. While cruising around goodreads I was drawn to this novella with its promises of a sexy half demon and an adventure, and am I glad it delivered.

Marci is a summoner, a descendant of the people who held the power to summon demons. In their shallow grasps of power they unleash demons they can't control that cause widespread death and destruction. All summoners are blamed, even those like Marci that had no part in the ori...more
Julia
In DEMON BAIT Moira Rogers has created a magically charged dystopian landscape with just the right amounts of action, world building, and romance. As much as I enjoyed the back and forth of the staring couple, the pacing of this book should share top billing. I never felt left behind, and even better, I never felt bored with drama or politics. It doesn't hurt that the chemistry between Gabe and Marci is spot on, despite some of the less popular romance tropes rearing their heads (its-for-your-ow...more
Rhianna
I need Hammer Down to be out now!

I generally prefer to give a short rundown of my perception of the plot when I write my reviews but the blurb for this one does a great job of it. Once again the duo that writes as Moira Rogers have built an interesting and exciting world to send their characters out into. Post-Apocalyptic tales are hot right now and the Children of the Undying is one I've been looking forward to for a while.

What didn't work for me this time was the length. It really didn't give...more
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://longandshortreviews.blogspot.c...

Moira Rogers has created a dark and dangerous world, filled with demons and ruined cities.

The demon Armageddon has created chaos in the world. Fifty years later, life is lived in virtual reality, and in underground cities. Summoners, those who aren’t quite human, are being blamed for it all still, all these years later. Marci has been hiding in plain sight, a summoner passing as human in Gold Mills. She is a net tech, working in the...more
Nicole
Joint review with E originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2011/11/22/...

Publisher: Samhain
Publish Date: November 29th
How we got this book: eARC from Author

E: I am sure that those who study fiction writing over the ages have theories about what social events and economic standings tend to trigger changes in what types of themes rise and fall. I have a few guesses but I will leave those to the scholars. Being a reader for entertainment’s sake what I notice instead is that as themes ris...more
Carien
This is a very enjoyable romance set in an awesomely cool post-apocalyptic world.

The underground city where Marci lives is intriguing, claustrophobic and utterly cool. I will confess I was a bit disappointed when Marci and Gabe left this city, because I wanted to know more about it, but then they came topside and I forgot all about the city as there were so many new cool things to learn more about.

The romantic tension between Gabe and Marci is well written and believable. I liked Marci from the...more
PepperP0t (ireadthatbook.com)
Won an ARC of this and its a keeper.

This novella is a very sexy, intriguing and descriptive entrance to a post-apocalyptic paranormal world. In this series openener we're introduced to a ravaged world that has demon's, half-bloods and some humans living above-ground while "pure" humans and those that can get away with it live underground in a virtual world. Half-blood Gabe meets (demon) summoner Marci while on a theoretical trade mission. Circumstances lead Marci to accompany Gabe to his above g...more
Beverly
My thoughts:
I have to start this review with a quick disclaimer - I LOVE EVERYTHING these women write! Having said that...
Once again I found myself reading about an incredibly strong woman and the ultimate badboy/goodman destined to be together, but struggling to stay apart.

Things I enjoyed about this story: characters, the setting, the storyline, the ending
Things I wish had been different about this story: length and backstory

The characters are wonderful and I was thrilled that it was set in Mi...more
Bookwormgirl
This is the second Moria Rodgers book I've read and this one I liked.

The world building in this short story is well done and the pacing is good. This is a good intro to the post-apocalyptic demon run world that Moira Rodgers created. In this instance I liked the secondary characters more (the ones the full length novels will be about) I did like Gabe (idiot that he was) sometimes, other times I felt like I never really got invested in the romance between the two MC.

Overall, a good erotic paranor...more
Ceola
Erin
A very fast and enjoyable read. I liked the gritty, post apocalyptic world that Moira Rogers created. I liked how this world meshed with new tech but also with paranormal aspects with the demon threat. I liked Marci's character and thought her romance with Gabe was believable. At first I thought that Gabe's character would be too rough around the edges, but his motives and even lies all served a greater good purpose. I liked this novella and definitely will be reading the next installment.

I rea...more
Jackie
Short but packing the punch of a much longer narrative. Demons, post apocalypse, romance, smoking hot sex and this new series is off and going strong! Already engrossed in Hammer Down and even in the first few pages my pulse is racing with adrenaline from the tension in the story, as usual am totally enjoying author Moira Rogers creative writing style.
Sassafrass
I thought that the premise of this story was really interesting. I had to reread a few lines in the beginning because I was a bit confused with what was real world and what was virtual world, but I got more used to it as the story went on.

I loved Gabe, Marci was ok. I thought the secondary characters were also very interesting, so I hope to see more of them.

Overall, it was enjoyable for me, and I definitely plan on reading the next one in the series.
Linda
Marci has been hiding among humans but now Gabe, a half demon, found her. As a summoner she knows she´s got to run and hide but what happens when they´ve got to keep together?
I found it a bit confusing to read, not really knowing the deal with demons and summoners among humans as this universe has got.
Some smut, Sci Fi, demons and summoners. I give it 3,5 Stars
Michele
First in a new post apocalyptic sci fi PNR. Wowza, all that and it was really good! It kind of reminded me of The Walking Dead but with demons instead of zombies. I liked the feel of the world and Gabe and Marci were very enjoyable to read about. I have a feeling this new series is going to be a winner!
Dancechica
This story was okay, but way too short to be satisfying. The romance happened so fast it wasn't believable, and the world building wasn't fully developed. I think this novella is the start of a series, or trilogy, but I'm not interested in reading more.
  • Savage Bond (Fallen, #3)
  • Before the Fall (Dark Breed, #0.5)
  • Whirlpool (Forces of Nature, #2)
  • Lipstick on his Collar
  • Glimmer (Nina Decker #1)
  • Motor City Wolf (Urban Arcana, #3)
  • Never Have I Ever (Reynolds Pack, #1)
  • Chain Reaction (8th Wing, #2)
  • Dragon Warrior (Dragon Wars, #1)
  • The Zero Dog War (Zero Dog Missions, #1)
  • Everlong (Daughters of Askara #1)
  • Midnight (Dark Age Dawning, #2)
  • Night Forbidden (Envy Chronicles, #5)
  • Demon's Fall
  • Tempt Me
  • Dark Vow (Arcane, #1)
  • The Fallen Queen (The House of Arkhangel'sk, #1)
  • Chosen by Fate (Para-Ops, #2)
How do you make a Moira Rogers? Take a former forensic science and nursing student obsessed with paranormal romance and add a computer programmer with a passion for gritty urban fantasy. Toss in a dash of whimsy and a lot of caffeine, and enjoy with a side of chocolate by the light of the full moon.

By day, Bree and Donna are mild-mannered ladies who reside in the Deep South. At night, when their h...more
More about Moira Rogers...
Crux (Southern Arcana, #1) Kamikaze (Last Call, #1) Cry Sanctuary (Red Rock Pass, #1) Crossroads (Southern Arcana, #2) Wild Card (Down & Dirty, #1)

“You looked like you’d been trying to fade away. I thought you were a woman who needed to be seen.” 5 likes