Start by marking “Locked In (Jessica Daniel, #1)” as Want to Read:
Locked In (Jessica Daniel, #1)

Locked In (Jessica Daniel #1)

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  1,939 Ratings  ·  225 Reviews
When a body is found in a locked house, Detective Sergeant Jessica Daniel is left to not only find the killer but discover how they got in and out.

With little in the way of leads and a journalist that seems to know more about the case than she does, Jessica is already feeling the pressure – and that’s before a second body shows up in identical circumstances to the first.

Ho
Published July 2011 (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Locked In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Locked In

Linda O'Donnell F.
I received a copy of The Killer Inside from NetGalley for an honest opinion. My thanks to Bookouture and to Kerry Wilkinson for the opportunity.

"There was no regret, no feeling of anything really. The victim certainly deserved it, as would the others to come."

Detective Sergeant Jessica Daniel faces a challenge like no other in her career as an officer in the Crime Investigation Department of the Greater Manchester Police. Newly promoted and as a female in the police ranks, Jessica has everything
Holly
Aug 15, 2016 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2016
First off, I forgot what this book was about when I downloaded it...so I went into it blindly. I have to admit, I kinda liked not knowing what I was getting into when I began reading. Secondly, I now want to read this series and its not available in America.......yet! Ugh! So that's a little frustrating. By the way, the U.K.'s book is called: Locked In.

I really liked the character of Jessica. I liked her sarcasm, I liked the fact that she wasn't some kick-ass-I can do everything chick. You can
Linda Strong
THE KILLER INSIDE introduces the reader to Detective Jessica Daniel. She is called in to investigate the murder of a woman. There are no clues, no DNA, and better yet ... the door is locked from the inside with no evidence of any other way into her house. The woman has been beaten and strangled.

The case is presenting more questions than answers. Jessica is under the gun, so to speak, to find the killer and do it fast.

And then there's another body discovered ... in a locked house. And when a thir
Christine
Last year I read Crossing the Line, which is book 8 in the Manchester based Jessica Daniel series and I really enjoyed it. I am finally catching up with a series that most crime fans will have got to already. I know the series has been incredibly popular. It is clear from Locked In exactly why. It has masses of potential with a great lead in Jessica.

Jessica and her team are on the hunt for a Houdini style killer. The killer leaves the body in a locked house and shows no obvious means of entry to
CL
Sep 02, 2016 CL rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first book by this author and I have to say she will be a new favorite. Good read. When a murder is committed behind a locked door, DS Jessica Daniel has to find out how this crime was committed. Then another body is discovered in the same manner and the two seemed to be linked but that cannot discover the connection between the two people. One was a woman and the other a man. Both seem random but as more and more detail come to light these murders may actually be connected. Can DS D ...more
Franco  Santos
Buen libro policíaco. Buenos personajes, buenas relaciones, trama simple y rápida. Es muy ameno y fluido, para nada pesado.

El inicio es como debe ser: se presentan los protagonistas de una manera clara y profunda, y se plantea el enigma de la novela: el típico problema del cuarto encerrado, que innovó Poe con su excelente cuento Los Crímenes de la Calle Morgue.

El final no me gustó... Muy predecible.
Raven
Feb 26, 2013 Raven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel that I may have joined the Kerry Wilkinson party a little late, looking at the phenomenal success he has enjoyed from self publishing to major book deal, but better late than never! I fair raced through ‘Locked In’ the first DS Jessica Daniel investigation, an engaging police procedural set on the mean streets of Manchester and setting the scene for a series worthy of attention.

I think what I liked most about the book was the character of Jessica herself, as unlike many other crime autho
Louella
Feb 14, 2012 Louella rated it did not like it
Very disappointing. There are too many faults to list each in detail but here are some of the problems I had with this book:

- Too much telling, not enough showing (for example, a paragraph saying that there was the black humour in the squad room that would have been better explained through showing some actual black humour and showing how it allowed officers to cope with their difficult work. There are other examples such as passages explaining the relationship between various characters - don't
Susan Hampson
Sep 09, 2016 Susan Hampson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
It does seem strange to be reviewing this novel as the first book in a series for its publication in USA when in the UK we are on book 10. That should be a massive indication to new readers though about just how brilliant and successful this series is. So make sure you buy and read this now and not have to play catch up when it gets further into the series.

Kerry Wilkinson delivers a novel that doesn't just pose the question of why and who has committed a murder but also, How the hell is that eve
Patsy
Jan 09, 2012 Patsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I right enjoyed that, I like a good who-done it, I thought I'd guessed right at one point but .....no, not even close. What made this book even better for me was that it was set in and around Manchester so I recognised a few places mentioned in the book, always good when you can actually picture the places. #Looking forward to reading more
Grace J
Apr 02, 2013 Grace J rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Good British police procedural, realistic and I didn't work out the whodunnit until the very last. Enjoyable read, glad I have the next two in the series to look forward to.
Nikki
Jan 03, 2012 Nikki rated it really liked it
Reviewed at JudgingCovers.co.uk

It’s no secret that I love crime thrillers. There’s something about the story of a murder investigation – trying to piece together the clues as the police hunt for a killer; gasping at the horrors of a murder scene – that draws me in every time. And as this book was only 98p in the Kindle bestsellers, it was inevitable that I’d give it a go.

Locked In is Kerry Wilkinson’s debut novel, and the first in his series starring Detective Sergeant Jessica Daniel. The book b
Michelle (Much Loved Books)
Although this isn't the first book by Kerry Wilkinson I have read, it is the first thriller/crime one. I LOVE his Silver Blackthorn series so decided to take the plunge and read his Jessica Daniel books.

I managed to snag a copy from my library and it's taken me two days to read this one. I found it really easy to fall into the world, and soon found myself loving these characters. I really enjoyed the mystery of this book, seeing how they connect the dots and solve the problems. Surprisingly I gu
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
AUDIOBOOK.

This isn't a bad 3 stars, but this could have been much better.

It felt like the narrator was very disinterested in the story and the bored performer made the story seem rather boring. It was a good enough story, but it was also a rather predictable twist. So all in all, it barely kept me interested enough to continue listening. This story could have been so much more too, and the descriptions of the police procedures felt... Well, they felt procedural.

I think I would have enjoyed this
Sheyla ✎
Sep 02, 2016 Sheyla ✎ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, thriller
4.5 Fangs

I'm super happy I found a new series to read! I have a huge addiction to thrillers and this one was just up my ally.

The Killer Inside features Detective Sergeant Jessica Daniel. She has recently received a promotion after her superior was stabbed and left the force. Soon after, she is called to investigate a murder. A woman has been found dead in her home but without any signs of a break-in. It's disconcerting when all the windows and the doors are found to be locked. The police had to
Amy
Sep 14, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Full review on www.novelgossip.com

Jessica Daniel has just been assigned to investigate a high profile murder case that leaves way more questions than answers in its wake. The pressure is on and Jessica has lots to prove as she’s recently been promoted after her superior, Harry was stabbed and is out on permanent leave. The odds are against her already as she’s a woman navigating the predominantly male police force, but when the questions keep piling up along with the dead bodies, she struggles t
~ Cariad ~
Such a good police detective story that I'll be listening to the other 8 books in the series very soon.
Pauline Ross
The word that springs to mind with this book is pedestrian. It plods along with ponderous attempts at humour, mind-numbing detail about, well, everything really (honestly, we don’t need to know all the legal requirements when interviewing suspects), fairly dull characters and a plot that never quite comes to life. It was a debut, so I’ll work on the assumption that the author will improve with time and experience.

The plot is incredibly simple: a body has been found in a locked house, and no, it'
Richard Louden
Mar 15, 2012 Richard Louden rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
I was surprised to find that this novel has become a major bestseller in the ebook market. It is difficult to argue with public taste but, in my view, Locked In has none of the qualities you would normally associate with a highly successful crime novel - it isn't slick or stylish or fast-moving and certainly does not qualify as compelling or unputdownable.
On the other hand, it is an easy read, written in simple, unremarkable prose, and does not stretch the reader's imagination to any extent. The
Kelly
Sep 20, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing
I am a big reader of this genre and was really impressed by this debut from Wilkinson. It was a pleasurable light read, an easy 'page turner' which makes a refreshing change from many of the overly detailed, deliberately dark novels that seem to be clogging up the shelves. This is not to say it wasn't extremely tense and gripping. I literally couldn't put it down and had it finished in 3 days. The twists and turns are cleverly executed and even when I thought I knew the `method', I had no clue o ...more
Susan
Sep 16, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The killer inside by Kerry Wilkinson is a mystery and thriller and general fiction read.
You can lock the doors but the killer is already inside.
When the body of a woman is found in a locked house,Detective Sergeant Jessica Danielis called in to investigate a seemingly impossible murder.

Faced with little in the way of leads and a journalist who seems to know more than she does, Jessica is under intense pressure to solve the case fast.

When a second body is discovered bearing the same hallmarks of
Ingrid
Apr 17, 2016 Ingrid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book. I look forward to reading more of Kerry Wilkinson's books.
Book Addict Shaun
Jun 17, 2015 Book Addict Shaun rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Locked Inhas been on my TBR foreverand a blogging friend of mine (Vicki) is a huge fan of the series so I finally took the plunge and picked it up. I must mention how much I love the cover for Locked In (and indeed the whole Jessica Daniel series). A big difference from the original self-published version.

I've said it before but I do have a bit of a soft spot for female detectives, and it was very early on in the novel that I knew Jessica Daniel was going to be a character that I would really l
Sharanya
Sep 14, 2016 Sharanya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This isn't really a bad book--it's just a little silly in places. The police work is often incomplete and plodding (to the extent that a seasoned crime reader feels she could solve the case in half the time). We are given unnecessary details that add nothing to the plot or characterization. The identity of the killer is pretty obvious a little before the reveal. It uses a by-now familiar trope to establish the killer's motive. The lead investigator is just a little too incompetent, but ironicall ...more
Fanficfan44
Aug 02, 2016 Fanficfan44 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book free from Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.

I was happy to see this book on Netgalley. I had wanted to read it since it was the book of the month on Goodreads in the Kindle English Mystery Club under the title Locked In.

At the beginning, we meet recently promoted to Detective Sergeant, Jessica Daniel. By luck of the draw or the fact her colleagues were tied up on other cases, Jessica lands the murder case of a divorced woman, Yvonne Christensen. She was found
Deanne
Jun 13, 2013 Deanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crimethriller
Good start to a series, with an interesting plot, though I did spot the killer before Wilkinson revealed all. Going to track down the next to see if the promise holds out.
George
Mar 13, 2015 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
Άλλος ένας συγγραφέας που ακολούθησε τον δρόμο της αυτοέκδοσης του πρώτου του βιβλίου σε ηλεκτρονική μορφή, και αφού πούλησε κάμποσο, δεν άργησε να έρθει το ενδιαφέρον εκδοτικών οίκων για να το τυπώσουν και σε κανονικό βιβλίο και να μεταφραστεί σε κάμποσες γλώσσες και να γνωρίσει επιτυχία στο εξωτερικό. Για πρώτο μυθιστόρημα η προσπάθεια σαφώς και είναι αξιόλογη, πρόκειται για ένα καλό βιβλίο, αλλά έχει κάποια προβληματάκια και μερικές αμήχανες στιγμές.

Είναι το πρώτο βιβλίο της σειράς με ηρωίδα
Kath
Dec 06, 2011 Kath rated it it was amazing
This book starts on high and hits the ground running...
So often (mostly due to my own concentration issues) a book just fails to take me along for the ride, but this one ticked all the boxes I needed to keep my interest piqued all the way to the end.
I found the story to be both credible and interesting, the narrative changing pace in time with the action.
The characters were interesting, enough personal detail was given to flesh them out without going over the top, and the descriptive prose was m
Sonia
Dec 04, 2011 Sonia rated it really liked it
When I have read a few ‘chunkier’ books, I do like to almost give myself a break with a stabby thriller catchy-killer type of book (as you may have noticed).

I believe that this one was recommended to me by Amazon. It was 98p on Kindle, so I couldn’t really go wrong.

This is the first in a series featuring Detective Sergeant Jessica Daniel (of which I believe there are two at the moment). Jessica has only recently been promoted after her old boss was stabbed in a bar fight, which he is currently g
Plot points (Spoilers) 1 8 Sep 05, 2014 07:15PM
Kindle English My...: March 2014 Value Book Read - Locked In by Kerry Wilkinson 10 28 Mar 26, 2014 02:28AM
  • Cold Kill (DC Laura McGanity, #5)
  • A Life For A Life (Parish & Richards #1)
  • Cambridge Blue (DC Gary Goodhew Mystery #1)
  • Touch
  • Blood Guilt (Steel City #1)
  • The Cleansing
  • Sacrifice (DS Heckenburg, #2)
  • Death on the Aegean Queen (Dotsy Lamb, #3)
  • Cut Short (DI Geraldine Steel, #1)
  • Devil's Chimney
  • Dead Gone (DI Murphy and DS Rossi, #1)
  • Pariah (Callum Doyle #1)
  • The Keeper (D.I. Sean Corrigan, #2)
  • London Calling (Inspector Carlyle #1)
  • All Fall Down
Recent & upcoming releases:
- SOMETHING HIDDEN (Andrew Hunter 2): 28 July 2016
- NO PLACE LIKE HOME (standalone Christmas crime): late 2016
- NOTHING BUT TROUBLE (Jessica Daniel): early 2017
- TEN BIRTHDAYS (standalone): Spring 2017
- THE DEATH AND LIFE OF ELEANOR PARKER (standalone): Autumn 2017

Kerry Wilkinson has been busy since turning thirty.

His first Jessica Daniel novel, Locked In, is a numbe
More about Kerry Wilkinson...

Jessica Daniel (10 books)
  • Vigilante (Jessica Daniel, #2)
  • The Woman in Black (Jessica Daniel, #3)
  • Think of the Children (Jessica Daniel, #4)
  • Playing with Fire (Jessica Daniel, #5)
  • Thicker Than Water (Jessica Daniel, #6)
  • Behind Closed Doors (Jessica Daniel, #7)
  • Crossing the Line (Jessica Daniel, #8)
  • Scarred for Life (Jessica Daniel, #9)
  • For Richer, For Poorer (Jessica Daniel, #10)