Start by marking “Flirting in Spanish: What Mexico Taught Me about Love, Living and Forgiveness” as Want to Read:
Flirting in Spanish: What Mexico Taught Me about Love, Living and Forgiveness

Flirting in Spanish: What Mexico Taught Me about Love, Living and Forgiveness

"Running from paralyzing memories of an attempted rape and the decade of silence and shame that followed, Ortega lands in Mexico at 33, trying not to fall for a much younger local. In 1992 the author, the daughter of champion NBA coach Jack McKinney, was teaching English to Mexican teenagers when she met 19-year-old Carlos, who ardently pursues her despite the age and huge ...more
Published July 1st 2011 by Antaeus Books, Inc. (first published May 27th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Flirting in Spanish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flirting in Spanish

Johanna Moran
Feb 13, 2012 Johanna Moran rated it it was amazing
Here is the bold, joyous memoir of Susan McKinney de Ortega, an American woman of considerable privilege who went to Mexico in her thirties. There she met and married a poor Mexican man eleven years her junior. It's a touching story, full of heart and juice, and it's beautifully written to boot. Highly recommended.
Jamee Pritchard
Apr 16, 2012 Jamee Pritchard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In her memoir, Susan McKinney De Ortega displays a very simplistic style of story-telling that’s quite descriptive. There were not too many embellishments or an over-telling of the story, just a light-hearted, and sometimes emotional, delivery of anecdotes. I loved how she described the streets of Mexico and its people. Her prose is elegant and honest. Holding nothing back, she gives her opinion of the good and bad of Mexican culture and how she dealt with it.

I love stories, especially memoirs,
Mary Beth Phelps
Aug 02, 2013 Mary Beth Phelps rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Originally posted on bibliophyte: http://bibliophyte.blogspot.com/2012/...

I enjoyed this book immensely from the minute I picked it up until I finished it this morning. It is not a large book, but it is one I took my time reading because I wanted to savor the story as much as possible. In fact, towards the end I found myself procrastinating a little about finishing it because I simply didn't want the story to end.
I immediately liked Susan; I found her very relatable, laid back, with a writing st
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Dec 14, 2011 Meg - A Bookish Affair rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir, 2011
Review: Flirting In Spanish by Susan McKinney de Ortega
Title: Flirting In Spanish: What Mexico taught me about love, living and forgiveness
Author: Susan McKinney de Ortega
Publisher: Antaeus Books, Inc.
Publish Date: July 1, 2011
Source: I received a copy from the author. This did not affect my review.

Why You're Reading This Book:

You're a memoir lover.
You're a armchair traveler.
What's the Story?:

From Publishers Weekly: "Running from paralyzing memories of an attempted rape and the decade of sil
Melanie
Dec 20, 2011 Melanie rated it really liked it
In her thirties, Susan McKinney de Ortega moves to Mexico where she teaches English to high school students. One student catches her attention : Carlos. Never did she expect to fall in love with her nineteen year old student. She resists at first but then realizes they both have feelings for each other and more important, Carlos helps her get through dark times. She moves in with Carlos and his family but suffers from cultural shock. The daughter of a champion NBA coach now has to deal with ...more
Tabby -  Shattered Hearts Reviews
Feb 09, 2012 Tabby - Shattered Hearts Reviews rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fiction, Non Fiction, Romance and Memoir readers!
Recommended to Tabby - by: Susan McKinney de Ortega
My Review
This book hooked me from the very beginning, based solely off the fact that it is based off of real life experience. I am a sucker for romance in general and fell in love with the fact that someone, somewhere can relate to this in some form or fashion.

Susan uproots her entire life and moves to Mexico. During her span of being a teacher, never did she think she would fall for a student. What's that old saying, "you can't help who you love?" Losing a never ending battle with her emotions,
Fátima Rmz
Jul 08, 2015 Fátima Rmz rated it it was amazing
Cuando lo leí pensé que era una típica novela de como los gringos nos ven, y tenía razón ... Nos ven de una manera que no nos vemos nosotros, aprendi de mi cultura tanto como aprendi del amor y otras cosas, me hizo llorar, reír y odiar a varios personajes. Muy bueno, sobretodo si consideramos que es una especie de autobiografía
Christine
Apr 09, 2013 Christine rated it liked it

In this book a woman finds herself teaching English in Mexico and falls in love with one of her students. I enjoyed reading this book and learning things about the Mexican culture, this a good book about life, love, and the unexpected.
Jun 19, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommended
Wonderful story of self-discovery, love, forgiveness and intimacy in the face of difficult odds. Written by my dear friend, Sue McKinney de Ortega whose beautiful soul is readily revealed in this autobiographical telling.
Erin Comer
I really enjoyed reading the story of a woman who found herself living in Mexico wondering where the next step in her life would take her. Unlike most of us she totally immersed herself in a new culture and fell in love. This is a great read!
Jill Dobbe
Apr 15, 2014 Jill Dobbe rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the author's story and reading about her life in San Miguel, Mexico. She has a courageous and adventurous spirit and was lucky to finally find her soul mate.
Rick Skwiot
Nov 09, 2012 Rick Skwiot rated it really liked it
An improbable yet touching true love story. At turns poignant, funny and heartbreaking. Plus a fascinating inside look at contemporary Mexican working-class life. Highly recommended.
Rene Carlos
Jan 23, 2015 Rene Carlos rated it really liked it
Refreshingly open and honest! A courageous woman tells her story, and what we all experience is the beauty and depth of her adventurous discoveries. Bravo! Well done!
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2011
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2011
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2012
Julie
Julie rated it it was ok
Oct 25, 2012
Hope
Hope rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2012
V K
V K rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2012
Debra
Debra rated it it was ok
May 15, 2015
Vivek
Vivek rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2013
Lynn
Lynn rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2012
dell
dell rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2014
Jayne Navarre
Jayne Navarre rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2011
Georgeann
Georgeann rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2011
Anker Frankoni
Anker Frankoni rated it really liked it
May 17, 2014
Melissa Herrera
Melissa Herrera marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2011
Dawn Briscoe
Dawn Briscoe marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2011
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2011
Alex
Alex added it
Nov 15, 2011
Jenn Miller
Jenn Miller marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2011
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2012
Mirely
Mirely marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2012
Mommymac10
Mommymac10 marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2012
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2012
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2012
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2012
Kathleen Sheppard
Kathleen Sheppard marked it as to-read
May 10, 2012
Lindsay Henderson
Lindsay Henderson marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2012
Mary
Mary added it
Sep 21, 2012
Kristina Bachler
Kristina Bachler marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2013
Marcela
Marcela marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2013
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Joceline Funes
Joceline Funes marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015