A Dark Horn Blowing

A Dark Horn Blowing

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A woman is spirited away to raise the sickly heir of the evil Erl King in this dark fantasy. “If you purchase only one book of fantasy this year, make it this one.”--School Library Journal
Published September 15th 1997 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published June 20th 1978)

To ask other readers questions about A Dark Horn Blowing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dark Horn Blowing

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingSwitch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu by Karen  PrinceCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
Best Children's Fantasy
335th out of 482 books — 721 voters
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna ClarkeStardust by Neil GaimanSunshine by Robin McKinleyAnansi Boys by Neil GaimanHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. Rowling
Mythopoeic Fantasy Award Winners
61st out of 64 books — 207 voters

More lists with this book...

Megan
I have read this book so many times since I first was given a copy by my aunt when I was a teenager. And yet every time I read it, it's like the first time.

I've never known anyone else (besides my aunt) who has read this book, and I wish to goodness I did, because it is beautifully haunting and one of my favorite books. My copy is well-worn and hopefully isn't going to fall apart on me. I hope one day to give it to my children and watch as they (hopefully) enjoy it as much as I have.
Mary-Beth
I ended up liking this one more than I expected to from the beginning. It just seemed such an improbable opening, a mother being lured away from her son and husband into fairy land, but being completely unable to feel anything about it. Now, I understand that magic was the cause of her detachment, but I have to suggest that having an unemotional narrator for the beginning of the novel is probably not the best route to go.

However, the mythical world which the rest of the book creates is wonderful...more
Macha
high fantasy set in faerie land. a bit slight going in, but in the end it feels like it might belong on the shelf with Lin Carter's Ballantyne series of classic fantasies: pretty good company. based on various ballads collected by Child and others, which gives it a different look and, with a Russian Baba Yaga thrown into the field to meddle with outcomes, it offers up a few twists on that trad cold hillside end.
MaryAnn
This was one of my favorite books as an adolescent. The story, told from three points of view, is of Nora who is lured away from her husband and newborn son to become a wet nurse for an infant prince in another land. Full of magic and old-world flavor, I still haven't tired of rereading this book every few years. A definite read if you enjoy fantasy, but may be difficult to find.
Kristen
Found in the Teen section – a lovely faery tale in the ancient tradition. It’s even based on some of the Child Ballads – amongst other things. This novel is a great, lyrical-but-not-highfalutin’ treat for anyone who likes faery tales.
Derek
Beautiful and strange. Cousin to Eudora Welty's The Robber Bridegroom in its use of folklore and ballads.
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Skyril
Skyril marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Grignr
Grignr added it
May 15, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Emilie
Emilie marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Vivienne
Vivienne marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Annmarie Wise
Annmarie Wise marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013
Andreas
Andreas marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2013
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Cat at Night The Queen of Spells Hardscrabble Harvest My Wonderful Christmas Tree One Horse Farm