Start by marking “A Dark Horn Blowing” as Want to Read:
A Dark Horn Blowing

A Dark Horn Blowing

A woman is spirited away to raise the sickly heir of the evil Erl King in this dark fantasy. “If you purchase only one book of fantasy this year, make it this one.”--School Library Journal
Published September 15th 1997 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published June 20th 1978)

To ask other readers questions about A Dark Horn Blowing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dark Horn Blowing

Miriam
Aug 18, 2008 Miriam rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mythology
Ipcar draws from the Child ballads and other folkloric sources to create an original story about a new mother who is bespelled away to Elfland to nurse the newborn prince. Her memories stolen, she forgets her husband and own baby, who in her absence suffer the attentions of the local witch.

The mythology is strong and even, and the prose, while not brilliant, has a pleasant feel and is mostly even (I felt the brief scenes in the human village broke from it a bit). However, for a story that hinges
Megan
May 03, 2013 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I have read this book so many times since I first was given a copy by my aunt when I was a teenager. And yet every time I read it, it's like the first time.

I've never known anyone else (besides my aunt) who has read this book, and I wish to goodness I did, because it is beautifully haunting and one of my favorite books. My copy is well-worn and hopefully isn't going to fall apart on me. I hope one day to give it to my children and watch as they (hopefully) enjoy it as much as I have.
Mary-Beth
Jun 06, 2008 Mary-Beth rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
I ended up liking this one more than I expected to from the beginning. It just seemed such an improbable opening, a mother being lured away from her son and husband into fairy land, but being completely unable to feel anything about it. Now, I understand that magic was the cause of her detachment, but I have to suggest that having an unemotional narrator for the beginning of the novel is probably not the best route to go.

However, the mythical world which the rest of the book creates is wonderful
Macha
May 23, 2012 Macha rated it liked it
high fantasy set in faerie land. a bit slight going in, but in the end it feels like it might belong on the shelf with Lin Carter's Ballantyne series of classic fantasies: pretty good company. based on various ballads collected by Child and others, which gives it a different look and, with a Russian Baba Yaga thrown into the field to meddle with outcomes, it offers up a few twists on that trad cold hillside end.
MaryAnn
Jul 10, 2008 MaryAnn rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books as an adolescent. The story, told from three points of view, is of Nora who is lured away from her husband and newborn son to become a wet nurse for an infant prince in another land. Full of magic and old-world flavor, I still haven't tired of rereading this book every few years. A definite read if you enjoy fantasy, but may be difficult to find.
Kristen
Mar 05, 2009 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Found in the Teen section – a lovely faery tale in the ancient tradition. It’s even based on some of the Child Ballads – amongst other things. This novel is a great, lyrical-but-not-highfalutin’ treat for anyone who likes faery tales.
Derek
Jun 04, 2011 Derek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful and strange. Cousin to Eudora Welty's The Robber Bridegroom in its use of folklore and ballads.
Ella
Ella rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2013
H. Sansculotte
H. Sansculotte rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2008
Jmjh
Jmjh rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2015
Talli Sharron
Talli Sharron rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2011
Meril
Meril rated it did not like it
Apr 21, 2008
Edward Lengel
Edward Lengel rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2013
Trista Weir
Trista Weir rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Kathleen Callahan
Kathleen Callahan rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2016
Evin Rogers
Evin Rogers rated it it was ok
Jun 09, 2011
Christina
Christina rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2012
Alice Ambrose
Alice Ambrose rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Nadine Peatfield
Nadine Peatfield rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2013
Sara
Sara rated it it was ok
Dec 31, 2013
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2013
Fantasy Literature
Fantasy Literature rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2012
Pam
Aug 11, 2012 Pam rated it liked it
3.5*
Keri Hall
Keri Hall rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2013
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2015
Beth Hudson
Beth Hudson rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2017
Renee
Renee rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2011
Bob Holliman
Bob Holliman rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2010
Suzy
Suzy rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2009
Thomas
Thomas rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Midgard
  • Fantasy Life
  • Strange Toys
  • The Black Corridor
  • A Fish Dinner in Memison
  • Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban (Film)
  • After Hamelin
  • The Folk of the Air
  • Coils
  • Levkas Man
  • Wheelers
  • Retief Unbound (Jaime Retief Series #10)
  • UNIX in a Nutshell: System V Edition: A Desktop Quick Reference for System V Release 4 and Solaris 2.0 (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly))
  • A Walk Out of the World
  • Daemonomania (The Aegypt Cycle, #3)
  • Monument
  • Sos the Rope (Battle Circle, #1)
  • Mother of Kings
Dahlov Ipcar was an American painter, illustrator and author.
More about Dahlov Ipcar...