Start by marking “A Dark Horn Blowing” as Want to Read:
A Dark Horn Blowing

A Dark Horn Blowing

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A woman is spirited away to raise the sickly heir of the evil Erl King in this dark fantasy. “If you purchase only one book of fantasy this year, make it this one.”--School Library Journal
Published September 15th 1997 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published June 20th 1978)

To ask other readers questions about A Dark Horn Blowing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dark Horn Blowing

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlSwitch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu by Karen  Prince
Best Children's Fantasy
357th out of 537 books — 787 voters
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna ClarkeStardust by Neil GaimanSunshine by Robin McKinleyAnansi Boys by Neil GaimanHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. Rowling
Mythopoeic Fantasy Award Winners
61st out of 70 books — 224 voters

More lists with this book...

Miriam
Ipcar draws from the Child ballads and other folkloric sources to create an original story about a new mother who is bespelled away to Elfland to nurse the newborn prince. Her memories stolen, she forgets her husband and own baby, who in her absence suffer the attentions of the local witch.

The mythology is strong and even, and the prose, while not brilliant, has a pleasant feel and is mostly even (I felt the brief scenes in the human village broke from it a bit). However, for a story that hinges
Megan
I have read this book so many times since I first was given a copy by my aunt when I was a teenager. And yet every time I read it, it's like the first time.

I've never known anyone else (besides my aunt) who has read this book, and I wish to goodness I did, because it is beautifully haunting and one of my favorite books. My copy is well-worn and hopefully isn't going to fall apart on me. I hope one day to give it to my children and watch as they (hopefully) enjoy it as much as I have.
Mary-Beth
I ended up liking this one more than I expected to from the beginning. It just seemed such an improbable opening, a mother being lured away from her son and husband into fairy land, but being completely unable to feel anything about it. Now, I understand that magic was the cause of her detachment, but I have to suggest that having an unemotional narrator for the beginning of the novel is probably not the best route to go.

However, the mythical world which the rest of the book creates is wonderful
Macha
high fantasy set in faerie land. a bit slight going in, but in the end it feels like it might belong on the shelf with Lin Carter's Ballantyne series of classic fantasies: pretty good company. based on various ballads collected by Child and others, which gives it a different look and, with a Russian Baba Yaga thrown into the field to meddle with outcomes, it offers up a few twists on that trad cold hillside end.
MaryAnn
This was one of my favorite books as an adolescent. The story, told from three points of view, is of Nora who is lured away from her husband and newborn son to become a wet nurse for an infant prince in another land. Full of magic and old-world flavor, I still haven't tired of rereading this book every few years. A definite read if you enjoy fantasy, but may be difficult to find.
Kristen
Found in the Teen section – a lovely faery tale in the ancient tradition. It’s even based on some of the Child Ballads – amongst other things. This novel is a great, lyrical-but-not-highfalutin’ treat for anyone who likes faery tales.
Derek
Beautiful and strange. Cousin to Eudora Welty's The Robber Bridegroom in its use of folklore and ballads.
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Felicity Andrews
Felicity Andrews marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Elliot
Elliot added it
Apr 17, 2015
Anna
Anna added it
Apr 09, 2015
Glimmer
Glimmer marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Agent003
Agent003 marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Nadia
Nadia added it
Dec 30, 2014
Kimberly Hirsh
Kimberly Hirsh marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Shiv
Shiv marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Alena
Alena marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Grace Brock
Grace Brock marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Cat at Night The Queen of Spells Hardscrabble Harvest My Wonderful Christmas Tree Dahlov Ipcar's Maine Alphabet