Start by marking “The Rose of the World” as Want to Read:
The Rose of the World

The Rose of the World (Hawkenlye Mysteries #13)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The new novel in the ever-popular 'Hawkenlye' series - Autumn, 1210. A year ago, King John was excommunicated - and now his men have come to Hawkenlye Abbey to take it over. Abbess Caliste, Helewise's successor, worries how she is to feed the nuns under her care, let alone conduct her usual good works. Meanwhile, Helewise has moved into Hawkenlye Manor with Josse, and thei ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Severn House Digital (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Rose of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rose of the World

Denise
The year is 1210 A.D. and John is the king of England. It is a time of social upheaval as the king plays a game of wits with the Catholic Pope which results in his excommunication. In retaliation, he strips the religious houses of their wealth and locks the doors of their churches. Now nuns, priests and monks are slowly starving and the common people no longer have the solace of their faith to support them in their hard lives.

Helewise, the former Abbess of Hawkenlye Abbey, has stepped down from
Anne Bannon
This is one of my seriously fave series - even among all my fave Medieval nun series (Fidelma, Priscilla Royal's series, etc.). While I thought The Joys of My Life was a worthy ending to the series, I am so glad Ms. Clare decided to continue it after all.

In the ongoing adventures of Helewise and Joss, King John has ascended the throne and is behaving the jerk he was. But the real problem is a body and Helewise's granddaughter, who is kidnapped. It's not got the traditional murder mystery structu
Jo
I have been a big fan of the Hawkenlye books for quite a while now, and was pleasantly surprised to see another title when I had thought Clare was finished with the series.
While it wasn't one of the best in the series it was lovely to revisit the characters I have grown to love and care about.
Hoping there may be another title to come.
A nice easy going read... Enjoyable without being taxing, which is exactly what I need sometimes.
Ma'lis Wendt
The Hawkenlye mysteries have now moved ten years into the future with Josse and his extended family living in the House in the Woods (Hawkenlye Manor) including the former Abbess Helewise. King John is collecting more unbearable taxes and then Helewise's granddaughter Rosamund disappears. There isn't as much action in this story and some if felt rather forced. but I always enjoy these medieval mysteries.
William
The best of the first 13 Hawkenlye Mysteries! There were several unexpected twists and I couldn't put it down.
Veronica Sanche
This was an okay novel although I found it slow at the beginning and the characters were confusing. On the whole it was easy to read and the author left the major plot solved although the minor plot was left open perhaps for the next book.
Terri
I think I needed to read the four books that came before it in the series to fully understand
what was going on. However, it was well written and kept my interest through out the whole
book.
Abcdarian
Took awhile to get into and ended on a to-be-continued note. I liked the Hawkenlye series better before the supernatural element became so strong, but it was ok.
Kelly
Never made it past page 36 despite several tries. If this is a sample of the other Hawkenlye mysteries, I don't understand how they were even published.
Anne
So convoluted, so plodding, no chemistry between characters... Makes me wonder if the same person who wrote the earlier books really wrote this one.
Terry
Abbess Caliste has succeeded Helewise.
Helewise blended family--Hawkenlye Manor.
child abduction.
France. politics.
Cathy
Maybe would have been better if I would have read some of the others in the series first.
Janet Brown
A different series but just as good. A gripping read.
Andrea Beaudin
slow moving but acceptable new-agey mystery.
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Sabrina The Book Lover
Sabrina The Book Lover marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Michael Drew
Michael Drew marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Carolynn R
Carolynn R marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Alys Clare is the pen name used by Elizabeth Harris for the Hawkenlye series of historical mysteries.

Alys Clare is the pseudonym of a novelist with some 20 published works to her name. Brought up in the countryside close to where the Hawkenlye Novels are set, she went to school in Tonbridge and later studied archaeology at the University of Kent. She lives for part of the year in Brittany, in a re
More about Alys Clare...

Hawkenlye Mysteries (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Fortune Like the Moon (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #1)
  • Ashes of the Elements (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #2)
  • The Tavern in the Morning (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #3)
  • The Chatter of the Maidens (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #4)
  • The Faithful Dead (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #5)
  • A Dark Night Hidden (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #6)
  • Whiter Than the Lily (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #7)
  • Girl in a Red Tunic (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #8)
  • Heart of Ice (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #9)
  • The Enchanter's Forest (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #10)
Fortune Like the Moon (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #1) Ashes of the Elements (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #2) Out of the Dawn Light (Aelf Fen, #1) The Tavern in the Morning (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #3) The Chatter of the Maidens (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #4)