The Avatar

The Avatar

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  301 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In the immeasurable past a mysterious alien race known as The Others left mankind a challenging legacy, a 'gate' to the unexplored reaches of the stars. Humanity has utilized the gate to painstakingly colonize the Phoebus star system but has left the rest of the galaxy unexplored. In the midst of turbulent political upheaval on Earth, the exploratory ship Emissary leaves t...more
Published October 15th 1980 by Berkley (first published 1978)

Tracy Johnson
This is kind of an old-fashioned space opera novel in some ways. The politics are achingly libertarian, ala Heinlein and the very 70's new age free lovelifestyle/morals seems very laboured and forced in 2014. But this author has been one of my favourites and I was attraced to the book. Its very good in places and there are some great ideas, but it is very uneven. As and American living in Ireland for the past 10 years, I did enjoy the occasional Irish references -- although "Pegeen's" mannerism'...more
Seamus
I'd read a few Poul Anderson Novellas in Hugo / Nebula Collections during my freshman year in College and found his blend of Social Commentary with Hard Science rather nice.

That said, this book, his first "Large" book that I've read is a bit of a disappointment - not because of a lack of Sci Fi, but rather at the pacing of the plot, and how the book in general came together, I found it a little hard to keep my attention on the book.

The story itself is about Dan Broderson and a motley crew that...more
Rusty
Poul Anderson has written many science fiction books. I rather liked this story because of the political ramifications elaborated upon and thespeculation about an alien species he refers to as The Others. The protagonists, Rijn and David Falkayn and Dan Broderson set out to win the stars and an empire for earth. Broderson searches for the Emisary, a lost ship that has been captured by an alien. His goal: To rescue some of the explorers on the Emisary held by the alien. To do so, he must find The...more
Eric
This book is made up of two halves. The first half has a bunch of politics that I found extremely boring. The second half is a random exploration of time and space. I didn't care much for the cloying love theme throughout the book, but the discoveries along the way kept me interested enough to keep reading.
Miriam
It's my first book by this author and I really enjoyed it. the only thing I didn't like was that it was a tad too descriptive in useless moments (like who cares of three pages of description of a house we're going to see for five minutes of action in the book?)
Anne
Still one of my favorites by Poul Anderson. Not what you'd think from the cover at all, and the free love bit gets annoying after a while, but on the whole the story is good anyway.
Matt
I really enjoyed this book. The first one I've read of his works since school. Writes nice, clean English with intent. Thoroughly enjoyable characters and story line.
Charles
I have the hardback version of this. It's kind of a Stargate before there was a Stargate. Good stuff.
Robert
I really liked it when I was 14. Not quite as much since then.
Bruno Silva
Muito aborrecido. Uma desilusão
Foxtower
Good! (I have the 1978 edition)
Andy
AMERICAN EDITION - 'HIS MASTERWORK'
Peter
Just didn't quite gel for me
Jack Teague
science fiction
Nitu Claudiu
Nitu Claudiu marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Sandmancpp
Sandmancpp marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Luigi Coradduzza
Luigi Coradduzza marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Kit Fry
Kit Fry marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Estelle Le sausse
Estelle Le sausse marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Craig
Craig added it
Jun 25, 2014
Gerry Jordan
Gerry Jordan marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
  • The Exile Waiting
  • Special Deliverance
  • Starchild Trilogy
  • The Dark Light Years
  • The Ring of Charon (The Hunted Earth, #1)
  • The Winds of Change and Other Stories
  • Cold Cash War
  • Son of Man
  • Stardance
  • The Genesis Machine
  • Young Bleys (Childe Cycle, #10)
  • The Black Corridor
  • Needle (Needle, #1)
  • The Deceivers
  • The Unreasoning Mask
  • Uller Uprising
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Eighteenth Annual Collection
  • Starquake
Pseudonym A. A. Craig, Michael Karageorge, Winston P. Sanders, P. A. Kingsley.

Poul William Anderson was an American science fiction author who began his career during one of the Golden Ages of the genre and continued to write and remain popular into the 21st century. Anderson also authored several works of fantasy, historical novels, and a prodigious number of short stories. He received numerous a...more
More about Poul Anderson...
Tau Zero The Boat of a Million Years The Broken Sword Three Hearts and Three Lions The High Crusade