Start by marking “A Student of Living Things” as Want to Read:
A Student of Living Things

A Student of Living Things

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Even in the confusion and dread of the post-9/11 world, the tightly knit Frayn family is fairly well insulated from the snipers, bomb threats, and natural disasters that plague Washington, D.C., a few years into the future.

Then, in the moment it takes Claire Frayn to dig for her umbrella while her brother Steven waits next to her on the library steps of their university, h
Published May 4th 2006 by Viking Adult (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Student of Living Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Student of Living Things

Fangirl by Rainbow RowellThe Secret History by Donna TarttThe Sorrows of Young Mike by John ZelaznyI am Charlotte Simmons by Tom WolfeThe Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides
Books About College Life
79th out of 87 books — 132 voters
Geek Love by Katherine DunnWater for Elephants by Sara GruenMuse Unexpected by V.C. BirlidisThe Meat Market by James ChalkWe Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
Best Quirky Dark Novels
114th out of 118 books — 173 voters

More lists with this book...

Maureen Neville
I liked the story (plot), however it is told backwards in time and by the end I'd actually forgotten some of what was written in the beginning of the story. The shift in time doesn't detract from the story and my faulty memory didn't cause too much of a problem in terms of comprehending what was going on.

The setting of the story is Washington, DC and a woman graduate student sees her brother killed right in front of her on the steps of a university library in this city. Along with this central
Melissa
This is the second book I read by Susan Shreve and I really, really liked it. The setting is post 9/11 civil war Washington D.C., which is like an alternate universe that could have happened. But the setting, while important, is not the emphasis of this book.

The best things about this book were:
- character development, interesting characters
- the little observations that Shreve tosses in at regular intervals
- the main character who is quirky but still real
- love letters written in music

Fun to
Stacy
Another book that I heard on NPR 90.9fm Philadelphia (NPR.org, summer reading 2006).
Intrigued by the story line about Claire, a student of biology at George Washington Univ in Washington, DC, and her brother, Steven.

The setting is post 9-11 and the current state of Washington, DC is 'high alert', because of the assination of law student and op-ed writer, Steven Frayn, on the steps of GWU with his sister just steps away. The death is a shock to the family. The family struggles to stay together,
Meghan Krogh
Noah W
It’s so rare to find a mystery or thriller that has real flesh-and-blood characters and intense emotional and psychological sensitivity, but that somehow maintains a fast-paced, stream-lined plot that is almost nail-bitingly suspenseful. This book is exactly that, and I loved it.

I have to start by saying this is one of the most tense and authentically suspenseful books I’ve read in a long time. The book starts off intriguing, stutters a bit, but then just keeps getting better and better. When 2
Mar 01, 2011 Sarah rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: NPR book review
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Interesting characters and some unusual plot twists. It's a mix of murder mystery, love story, and family drama. Fairly quick to read, with a bit of suspense and intrigue. The ending was believable, although a little too perfectly tied-up, which is rare in real-life.
Claire, the protagonist, was sweet and determined, but a bit naive and girlish for her age and education level, which made it hard for me to identify with her.
And the setting, post- 9/11 Washington D.C., with terrorist attacks occu
Elizabeth
It's a quick read and slightly depressing, about the murder of a brother and son, but the ending is good.
Kris
A perfect book for a long plane ride. But I never really connected to the main character, and intuited the perpetrator after the first mention.
Lori
Aug 18, 2008 Lori rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
This book was SO RAD and I couldn't put it down. What a suspenseful mystery. I didn't read the summary very well when I checked it out and didn't realize it was a mystery. This is a story about a family in MD that has a son that was murdered/assassinated/accidentally shot and his sister's quest to figure it out. I couldn't believe the ending. You'll have to read it to find out what happens. I did love the love story attached along with it. You never know who to trust.
Heather
Short, suspenseful, and full of references to familiar D.C.-area landmarks, this story takes place in the aftermath of the murder of a politically-outspoken law student as his grief-stricken and rather naive sister is drawn into a strange revenge scheme. The story was hampered, though, by a constant sense that something is a little bit off about the characters and scenarios --- not quite true-to-life enough to really draw you in.
Natalie
I did not really get into this book till the end. I was expecting something much more cynical, not hoping, just expecting. I was surprised by the conclusion. There is a nice tie in with 911, guilt, and forgiveness, which drags you through humanities ability to cope with tragedy. As a whole, I thought it all wrapped up just a little “too” perfect and with its many references to 911 its idealist tone felt too Pollyanna.
Tanya
it took a month to read first 120 pages, always having the feeling its time to drop the book and forget about it but there was still smth about it not allowing to drop. Having read it this morning, am not regretting. a good read in the end..and am now looking for someone who plays piano, to play the parts from the benj/claire-uncle letters to get the fuller sound of the story.
Michelle Tackabery
I finished this book on 2/25. It is a short but engaging read which sweeps you in. The protagonist attempts to distance herself from her life, but her actions have devastating consequences, and by the last three chapters I found myself completely unable to put the book down.

I have an extra copy ordered by mistake I'd be willing to swap with someone.
Meg - A Bookish Affair
The book follows the story of a family after their son is murdered on the steps of his university library. It takes place in the DC metro area and I enjoyed reading about places that I'm familiar with. The book drags in some places but the end is very good and puts everything together.
Dre
This was a quick story for me with a somewhat predictable ending but it still kept my interest nonetheless. Not exactly an upbeat book. It was a reminder of the fact that even when you think you know someone, you really don't.
Dana
I got this book at a library book sale because I really enjoyed the cover. This is the first book I've read by Shreve, but not her first -- I'm surprised I haven't heard of her sooner, but I plan on reading more of her books.
Lindsey
I really enjoyed the twist when the mystery was resolved, but I had a hard time getting into the characters or story line of the novel. It was nice to read an adult novel for a change; it's been a while.
Carolyn
Grief. Bewilderment. Bad decisions. Family ties. (Good. At one point, got worried, "I am NOT going to like where this is going." But the next chapter took a turn...for the BETTER, and I loved how it ended.)
Tori
The middle third of this book was really slow, but otherwise I liked it. The dad building a full size airplane hanger behind their normal suburban house really cracked me up.
Susan
While not a book about 9/11, this story of a fascinating family could only happen post 9/11. Loved the quirky characters and how they each work their way through tragedy.
Mel
A Student of Living things was nothing like I thought it would be. But it was lovely. Short, suspenseful, and ultimately heartbreaking in the most wonderful way, I loved it.
Mary
A story of a murder and it's aftermath. I was entertained reading it, but I wouldn't read it again.
Marla Glenn
Took me a long time to get through this b/c I don't usually read mystery-type books. But it was interesting.
Marsha
Oct 20, 2008 Marsha added it
Took me weeks to get through this, not sure why. I couldn't just give up on it, not sure of why not.
Wendy Thiessen
Sometimes this felt a little slow but is was a very good unique story.
I worked with the daughter of the author. great book, nice woman.
Lindsey
Favorite quote: My biggest success? I hope it hasn't happened yet.
Courtney
Great character development, intense mystery.
J
  • The Poker Bride: The First Chinese in the Wild West
  • A Blessing on the Moon
  • Deadly Slipper
  • The Devious Book for Cats: A Parody
  • The Prank List (The Dirt Diary, #2)
  • Here They Come
  • This Full House (Make Lemonade, #3)
  • The Secret of Laurel Oaks
  • The Master of all Desires
  • The Good Rat
  • Arkansas
  • Later, at the Bar
  • The Giant, O'Brien
Also know as Susan Shreve. Received the following awards: Jenny Moore Award, George Washington University, 1978; Notable Book citation, American Library Association (ALA), 1979, for Family Secrets: Five Very Important Stories; Best Book for Young Adults citation, ALA, 1980, for The Masquerade; Notable Children's Trade Book in the Field of Social Studies, National Council for Social Studies and the ...more
More about Susan Richards Shreve...
You Are the Love of My Life Kiss Me Tomorrow Blister Warm Springs: Traces of a Childhood at FDR's Polio Haven Under the Watsons' Porch