Start by marking “The Blackbirder (Thomas Marlowe, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Blackbirder (Thomas Marlowe, #2)

The Blackbirder (Thomas Marlowe #2)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In a blind rage, King James, ex-slave and now Marlowe's comrade in arms, slaughters the crew of a slave ship and makes himself the most wanted man in Virginia. The governor gives Marlowe a choice: Hunt James down and bring him back to hang or lose everything Marlowe has built for himself and his wife, Elizabeth.

Marlowe sets out in pursuit of the ex-slave turned pirate, str
Published March 19th 2002 by Harper Perennial (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Blackbirder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blackbirder

Treasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonPeter Pan by J.M. BarrieBloody Jack by L.A. MeyerPirates! by Celia ReesThe Princess Bride by William Goldman
Pirates!
361st out of 361 books — 492 voters

More lists with this book...

Jayne Tapscott
One of my favourite books, have read this at least three times, it's so full of adventure. In fact, I think it would make a marvellous film. The author has created a wonderful character in Marlowe and I also fell in love with Billy Bird. Elizabeth isn't your run of the mill 'oh woah is me, I'm a helpless woman', she has spunk is clever and loves her husband dearly. I could go on and on. If you want piracy, adventure and moments where you want to throw something at the mean characters then this i ...more
David
It seems that you can’t toss a brick these days without hitting some kind of pirate reference (especially in children’s books and tv), except in the world of fiction. James L. Nelson set out to change that with his “Brethren of the Coast” series.

Fi
I picked this up in a charity shop; it looked like a 'swashbuckler', which isn't my usual genre, but suffice to say that when I realised it was the 2nd in a series, I instantly bought books 1 & 3; am planning to read some of his other books as soon as I've whittled down my pile of unread books (and reduced the Kindle list)
Kevin
King James, a freed former slave kills a "Blackbirder," the captain of a slave ship filled with the dead and dying. James goes on the run knowing he is going to be hanged if caught. Suspenseful and accurate historical fiction of the early 18th Century.
Colin Macaulay
An excellent story and by all estimation thoroughly researched. The chief weakness is the characterisation, which I found a little unconvincing. However this is a thoroughly enjoyable read, and the author certainly knows his period and his subject very well.
Bonsaiforlife
I read this book in 2 days. I could hardly put it down. I enjoyed the different stories being told at the same time. You have Marlowe with his not so legal privateer, King James on his adventure, and Elizabeth on hers. I liked it.
Ignacio Zeleny
iTS OK, I EXPECTED MORE ACTION AND MA MORE VIVID STORY AND PLOT, I THINK ABOUT PIRATES THERE MUST BE A MORE INTERESTING NARRATIVE AND ACTION FILLED MOMENTS.
Pa
Jul 17, 2011 Pa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those interested in piracy, privateering, the slave trade, and sea battles.
A better than average tale of piracy and the slave trade in early 18th century America.
Leigh
Jan 17, 2010 Leigh added it
The Blackbirder: Book Two of the Brethren of the Coast by James L. Nelson (2002)
henry davis
henry davis marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Natalia Maruta
Natalia Maruta marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Elyssa
Elyssa marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Richard Radgoski
Richard Radgoski marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
Sep 01, 2014
A Chaos Fairy
A Chaos Fairy marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Vivianne
Vivianne marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Vesra (When She Reads)
Vesra (When She Reads) marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Kydd (Kydd Sea Adventures, #1)
  • The King's Commission (Alan Lewrie, #3)
  • Signal-Close Action! (Richard Bolitho, #14)
  • An Eye of the Fleet (Nathaniel Drinkwater, #1)
  • A Battle Won (Charles Hayden, #2)
  • Admiral Hornblower in the West Indies (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #11)
James L. Nelson (1962-) is an American historical nautical novelist. He was born in Lewiston, Maine. In 1980, Nelson graduated from Lewiston High School. Nelson attended the University of Massachusetts, Amherst for two years, and then transferred to UCLA, with the ambition of becoming a film director. Nelson, his wife, Lisa, and their daughter Betsy lived for two years in Steubenville, Ohio, while ...more
More about James L. Nelson...
The Guardship (Thomas Marlowe, #1) By Force of Arms (Isaac Biddlecomb, #1) The Only Life That Mattered: The Short and Merry Lives of Anne Bonny, Mary Read, and Calico Jack Rackam The Pirate Round (Thomas Marlowe, #3) Fin Gall