Start by marking “The Complete Roman Army” as Want to Read:
The Complete Roman Army

The Complete Roman Army

The Roman army was one of the most successful fighting forces in history. Its organization and tactics were highly advanced and were unequaled until the modern era. Spectacular monuments to its perseverance and engineering skill are still visible today, most notably Hadrian’s Wall and the siegeworks around the fortress of Masada.

This book is the first to examine in detail
Published September 30th 2011 by Thames & Hudson (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Roman Army, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Roman Army

Sep 05, 2015 Conor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This was a really informative and concise overview of how the Roman Army functioned. This book broke it's analysis down into a of a number of convenient and accessible sections which ranged from 'The life of a Roman soldier' to 'The Roman Army at war'. I found both the greater picture about how an army at war functioned and the smaller picture examining the day-to-day lives of the soldiers who made up the army interesting. I also enjoyed the narrative approach Goldsworthy took to describing the ...more
Michael K.
Nov 17, 2014 Michael K. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author is an expert in Roman military matters with several previous works to his credit, and even though he’s an academic, his style is exceptionally readable without being oversimplified or talking down to the reader. He begins with the origins of the citizen army under the early Republic, made up of soldiers who volunteered as a matter of patriotism. This worked fine for several centuries, when Rome’s sphere of influence was still relatively small and campaigns were limited in time. As con ...more
A good solid general history of the Roman Army. Short history of Rome, how the Army developed through the years, day-to-day life of the soldiers, command structure and charts of a few of the most important battles. Since 2003 when it was published, I'm sure archaeologists and scholars have 'dug up' [pun intended] more and possibly more accurate information. There was not enough on the Late Imperial army to suit me [only 8 pp.]; I had a couple of questions the book did not answer so I might want ...more
Oct 25, 2015 Dimitrios rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This book is exceptionally good for a number of reasons.
First, it does not confine itself to text descriptions, as it provides an ample set of illustrations that demonstrate aspects like battle formations, weapons, and armour.
Second, it spans through all the time of the Roman dominance in Europe. That is, it starts from the early Roman Republic, it continues with the Roman Empire, and it concludes with the late Roman Empire.
Third, it gives a multi-dimensional perspective of the Roman army. It de
Jun 25, 2015 Cat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book for those who want to know how the Roman Army developed and was used as an expansionist force throughout the Mediterranean and beyond. As the concept of the Army changed, so did the concept of cultural identity for the Romans. Adrian Goldsworthy puts together a day to day view of what it was like to live as a professional soldier in the Roman Legions. This view of cultural history brings a more personal view to how they lived, their motivations, and how they interacted ...more
Timothy M
Jul 05, 2011 Timothy M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have an odd story with this book, which I bought awhile back after noticing that it was cited in one of my favorite military history books (and, for the life of me, I cannot remember which book that was--I just wrote the citation down in a planner/organizer without any other info...not very smart).

After being unable to find it at any bookstore, or check it out at the library, it became the "odd Roman army book" that I couldn't find anywhere, and I couldn't even remember that stupid citation t
Aug 10, 2016 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very informative and thorough look at the changes of the Roman army from the peasant soldier in the republic to the professional army of the empire all the way through, though to a lesser extent, The "Mercenary" armies of the late antiquity. It has really interesting chapters on the Roman navy and the life of a individual soldier.

My only complaint is that is more a reference book than anything else so it is a bit dry. Perfect for short reads on individual subjects but to read as comprehensive
Jun 20, 2016 Johnathon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dry but informative history on the Roman army & the life of the men who served in it. Adrian Goldsworthy's writing is solid but very textbook and doesn't bring the excitement of better history novels. Thankfully, the book is filled with maps, diagrams & pictures to keep it a lively read and well worth anyone interested in Roman & military history.
Jānis Būmanis
Jan 28, 2016 Jānis Būmanis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Šo grāmatu, kā atsauci uz literatūru bieži redzēju, tādēļ arī nolēmu izlasīt un nebiju vīlies. Autors izvairās no liekvārdības, valoda ir patīkama, grāmata sadalīta visnotaļ loģiskās nodaļās. Autors arī apzināti izvairās no liekiem vispārinājumiem un argumentos patstāvīgi atsaucas uz noteiktiem avotiem. Nedrīkst nepieminēt arī milzīgo ilustratīvo materiālu.
Īsumā, tiem, kam Romas armija interesē, un zināšanas par to ir salīdzinoši nelielas (piem. man :) )
Jun 13, 2016 Price rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well researched. Exceeded my expectations. Recommend as first book for researching and learning about this topic.
Jun 14, 2016 Bobby24 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Third Goldsworthy book and as usual its an excellent read and a book to learn from and keep.
May 20, 2008 Nathan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Serious Roman Completists
This book is by the same historian who wrote the book Roman Warfare, but isn't quite up to the same standards as the previous book.

It's not very interesting to read (although the pictures are pretty), and is a very generalist history of the Roman Army, with virtually no references to other works that would allow further pursuit of the subject matter.

I wasn't impressed with the book's organization and am honestly not sure that I made a very good purchase.

It's going to stay in my collection, but
Apr 22, 2012 Al rated it really liked it
This is an outstanding book with fantastic pictures and line drawings. Goldsworthy describes the Republican army and how it transitioned into the professional force used by the emperors. He describes how the army was recruited, how it trained, how it lived and how it fought. Almost all questions are answered. This is a really good resource with a comprehensive bibliography and sets the standard for works on the imperial Roman army.
May 01, 2012 Wayne rated it it was amazing
Great book. It was essentially a summary of eveidence and findings about how the Roman army was organized, lead, fought and marched over the centuries. A lot of it is conjecture based upon limited eveidence but it was well written summary and what we know and what we think was true. Very comprehensive and interesting.
Jul 30, 2007 Bob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a very thorough overview of the Roman Army, organisation, weapons armour etc. This volume not only covers well known ground with respect to the Republic and Early Imperial periods, but is also does a good job of providing insights into weapons and tactic of the late imperial period.
B.R. Stateham
Never read it. was the wrong book. How the Hades do you eject wrong choices in this place?
Mike Anderson
Dec 17, 2011 Mike Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in ancient warfare
Shelves: history-rome
Very comprehensive. A lot of good information.
Gary Johnson
Gary Johnson marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2016
FieryJack marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2016
Brandon rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2016
Gareth Griffiths
Gareth Griffiths marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2016
Brandon Obrien
Brandon Obrien marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2016
Craydon Burrows
Craydon Burrows marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2016
Kody marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2016
Jeffrey marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2016
Vlerk is currently reading it
Oct 13, 2016
Will marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2016
Antonio marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2016
  • Warfare in the Classical World: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Weapons, Warriors, and Warfare in the Ancient Civilizations of Greece and Rome
  • Soldiers and Ghosts: A History of Battle in Classical Antiquity
  • Legionary: The Roman Soldier's (Unofficial) Manual
  • Scipio Africanus
  • The Roman Revolution
  • The Day of the Barbarians: The Battle That Led to the Fall of the Roman Empire
  • The Grand Strategy of the Roman Empire from the First Century AD to the Third
  • The Ghosts of Cannae: Hannibal & the Darkest Hour of the Roman Republic
  • The Military Institutions of the Romans
  • Caesar Against the Celts
  • Warfare in Antiquity: History of the Art of War, Volume I
  • Handbook to Life in Ancient Rome
  • The Beginnings of Rome: Italy from the Bronze Age to the Punic Wars, Ca 1,000-264 BC (History of the Ancient World)
  • Legions of Rome: The definitive history of every Roman legion
  • A History of the Roman World 753 to 146 BC
  • The Fall of Rome And the End of Civilization
  • Julius Caesar: Man, Soldier, And Tyrant
  • Dividing the Spoils: The War for Alexander the Great's Empire
Adrian Goldsworthy was born in 1969 in Cardiff. He was educated in Penarth and then read Ancient and Modern History at St. John's College, Oxford, where he subsequently completed his doctorate in ancient history. His D.Phil. Thesis was the basis for his first book, The Roman Army At War 100 BC - AD 200, which looked at how the Roman army actually operated on campaign and in battle.

For several yea
More about Adrian Goldsworthy...