Start by marking “Asperger's Syndrome, DVD: A Guide for Parents and Professionals” as Want to Read:
Asperger's Syndrome, DVD: A Guide for Parents and Professionals

Asperger's Syndrome, DVD: A Guide for Parents and Professionals

Whether you're a curious parent or a seasoned psychologist, this DVD offers introduction to Asperger's Syndrome. It describes case examples and offers practical strategies that worked for people with Asperger's. It provides a diagnostic description of a person with Asperger's. It offers a social curriculum that includes ideas and activities.
Published January 1st 1998 by Future Horizons (first published October 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Asperger's Syndrome, DVD, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asperger's Syndrome, DVD

Michael Jones
Dec 30, 2011 Michael Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is or who loves an Asperger's syndrome sufferer
Reading this book was an unexpectedly emotional experience for me. I checked it out from the library because my wife and I recently have begun to strongly suspect that although he has not been diagnosed and although he functions reasonably well in social situations, my son most likely is an Asperger's syndrome sufferer. As I read the book, I certainly saw my son in the pages, but I was not prepared for who else I saw there: myself. In every chapter, and sometimes on almost every page, I found so ...more
Kerry Kenney
Jan 28, 2013 Kerry Kenney rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autism
There is no getting away from this book if you have a child with Asperger's. It was the first book I bought when I was up at night googling it. I bought it because so many other people bought it--based on reviews and popularity. I'm not sorry I have it, but it is depressing. It's academic (again, that's okay). I prefer to read a book about Asperger's that was written by someone with Asperger's. I like Karla Fisher's writing much better. She is genuinely helpful.
Carriew
Jan 20, 2009 Carriew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Asperger's teachers, parents, family and friends
Recommended to Carriew by: Amazon
This is the book every parent should be handed when receiving their child's (or their own) AS diagnosis. It is a thorough description of the condition, using vocabulary appropriate for the newly initiated. The Asperger's "bible" in our home.
Christina
Aug 03, 2011 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is a great reference for parents. it has easy to understand descriptions of the syndrome and ideas for helping your child as well.
Kathie Hatch
Aug 12, 2009 Kathie Hatch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book for teachers and parents. Very comprehensive and interesting. It will help me a lot with my Aspie students (as Tony Attwood would say). LOVE THEM.
Peg
Sep 21, 2011 Peg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
A great help to families with a member who has Asperger's Syndrome.
Lorenzo Bovitutti
Utile punto di partenza per capire qualcosa della sindrome.
Io l'ho letto perché ho un allievo che ne è affetto. E penso che sia un bambino meraviglioso.

Principali caratteristiche cliniche della sindrome di Asperger:
⁃ mancanza di empatia
⁃ interazione naïf, inadeguata, unidirezionale
⁃ abilità scarse o assenti di fare amicizie
⁃ linguaggio pedante, ripetitivo
⁃ scarsa comunicazione non verbale
⁃ interesse spasmodico per certi argomenti
⁃ movimenti goffi e poco coordinati e posture bizzarre

Hum
Clinton Fales
A good book written plainly and easy to understand. The material is dated, unfortunately, as more is now known or more clearly understood about AS, particularly with regards to adults in the spectrum. This is a good introductory book that you can quickly get through, but definitely dont stop here; the author has a more comprehensive book of a similar title.
Frances Haynes
There are people better placed than me to discuss the content of this book, but what I can say is that the writing is really accessible and entertaining. The main thing I didn't like was the Bill Bryson excerpt, which I thought unkind.
Eva
Jun 28, 2011 Eva rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some observations and quotes I appreciated:

"There is also research and clinical evidence that the person [with Asperger's] may have knowledge about other people's minds, but they are unable to apply this knowledge effectively....the knowledge was available, but was not recognized as relevant."

"While other children often pretend to be the characters in favorite films and television programmes, the imaginative play of some children with Asperger's Syndrome includes becoming an object rather than a
Sally
Jul 09, 2016 Sally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant - easily digested and answers so many questions (including an extensive FAQ at the back). I now want to buy a copy for ourselves and ensure a certain school has copies - and reads them.

Attwood has really clarified the challenges faced, and ways to help the child - but, as he says, Asperger's kind of 'falls through the cracks'. The child may be achieving very well academically but be really unhappy in relationships with other children and have problems with some teachers, arising from p
Abby
Apr 24, 2008 Abby marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I have someone in my extended family who I am positive has Aspberger's Syndrome. POSITIVE. My husband disagrees and says I'm crazy, even though I have read a thousand books and articles on the topic and he has read zip. (He is not the crazy reading person that I am.) This is the only book my library seems to have on Asperger's Syndrome, and I kinda want to read it, but under the radar of my husband. There are a lot of cool books about Aspberger's Syndrome. I wish I could read them all but don't ...more
Mary Ann
Mar 27, 2016 Mary Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Asperger’s is a newer term for high functioning autism. Neither term is very well understood.
The author compares Asperger’s to a thousand piece puzzle without a defining picture. I will add that some of the puzzle pieces may be missing.
In the 1950’s when I was growing up, kids like me were described as different, eccentric, and unsociable. We were loners not because we wanted to be, but because we didn’t know how to join the play and friendships that surrounded us in the schoolyard. Conversa
Andrew Coltrin
Mar 26, 2011 Andrew Coltrin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aspie-books
I read this as a part of my voyage of self-discovery and self-diagnosis. I probably should have read this one first. It's a great introduction to what Aspergers is, and it's not prone to condescension the way the first book I read on the topic was. Is this me or is it not? I'm not a psychologist, but I sure feel like my personal experiences fall right in line with what I'm reading about. Anyway, Attwood's book is a must read for anyone with Aspergers or high functioning autism in their life or w ...more
Catharine
Though this book is now outdated, it does give a good overview of how Asperger's manifests itself in different spheres of a person's life and possible accommodations/treatments. Twelve years ago much of this information would have been new to me, but working in schools for nine years means it was all very familiar. Though I'm sure there are more current resources for parents who are unfamiliar with Asperger's and have a child with a recent diagnosis, or potential diagnosis, it is written in an a ...more
Jim
Aug 06, 2012 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ideas of exercises are great, but implementation is going to vary on a case by case basis. In our particular case, some of these work, some don't, and we're walking that road with professionals who can work within the ABA realm to support Asperger's.

I thought this provided a good sweeping overview of Asperger's Syndrome, however, it is a bit dated. Keep the year of publication in mind as you read it.
Diane
May 26, 2013 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
My sons therapist was kind enough to lend this to me when I approached her about our growing concern with how our 8yr old is relating to his peers. This book really opened my eyes to different views as to why he behaves so & is having difficulties. I also devoured the rest of the book that pertained to all the other struggles of those w/high functioning autism/asperger's. I've read many books on the subject & must say this one really had a lot of aha moments for me.
Joseph R.
May 08, 2012 Joseph R. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012, parenting
My son has been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, so I read this book to help understand the various aspects, symptoms, and effective means of support involved. It is fairly comprehensive and includes not only technical descriptions of various challenges, but also personal accounts from the author's patients of their experiences, thoughts, and feelings. The book has been helpful but is only a start on a long road for us.
Jane
Dec 22, 2007 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents/teachers dealing with children who have Aspergers Syndrome
Shelves: autism
This was a great starting point for me and for my son's teachers to gain understanding about how his world worked. Especially helpful to parents/teachers of those newly diagnosed. Now that my son is in his teens, I am finding there is less information available. However, I would like to stress that this was my 'Aspie' bible in the beginning.
Teena
Feb 12, 2008 Teena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book if you want to learn about Aspergers Syndrome. Tony Attwood is the expect on this disorder (mild form of Autism) and did an amazing job with helping lay people learn about Aspergers. I would suggest it to those with a family member suffering from Asperger's or parents of a child with Aspergers.
Cheryl
Aug 02, 2010 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was wonderful for us to read together. My son was able to articulate his thoughts and feelings better after reading this book. It also gave us as parents an understanding for the different place he was coming from with some unusual reactions.

Anyone who must work/live with someone with Asperger's Syndrome must read this book.
Katie
Mar 08, 2012 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2012
Decent read. This book helped me understand AS better and now has many looking at everyone around me and wondering if they have it. :)

It was a bit dry for me in parts and I didn't feel like I learned how to really handle a child with the syndrome. I do know more about AS so I'm glad I read it, and it was less than 200 pages so it's probably shorter than some other books I could have read.
Lex Graham
Jun 21, 2014 Lex Graham rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
I was personally able to relate to so many of the experiences outlined in this book. I also came to better understand myself and others with Aspergers. I do wish the author had provided accounts of experiences of people who had less severe manifestations of AS, as life for us is equally challenging but the difficulties are less conspicuous than someone with a classic presentation.
Amy
Jul 30, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is like a bible to me. It gives great ideas and understandings on Asperger's. Tony Atwood is great and it has exerpts from Carol Gray, known for her use of social stories. I recommend this for anyone who knows/loves someone with Asperger's Syndrome.
Kristin
May 29, 2008 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The easiest book I've found so far on understanding Asperger's Syndrome, both in what it's like for the person, and suggestions for appropriate therapies from infant to teen. I also liked the input that people who have AS shared.
Veronique
Feb 14, 2014 Veronique rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very informative and useful as a resource to dip into. Contains all the criteria for diagnosis offered by 4-5 different sources in the appendix. Highly recommended as I have come across other authors writing on the subject who can waste your time. This is by a world-renowned expert.
Lis
Jun 04, 2009 Lis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative. It has a lot of information about teenagers with Asperger's than children though. Still it was pretty good.
Hazel Richardson
Very helpful. Informative without being confusing or overly technical. A very good read for anyone interested in the condition.
Lisa
Mar 12, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Basically the book told me a lot about what I already know about my son. It was interesting, though kind of technical at points.

I wish I would have read this before my son was diagnosed.
Huong Doan
Aug 15, 2014 Huong Doan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autism
The book is the Bible of Asperger's Syndrome. I recommend the book for everybody who wants to understand carefully about the issue. It deserves 5 stars <3.
  • The Oasis Guide to Asperger Syndrome: Advice, Support, Insight, and Inspiration
  • Asperger Syndrome and Difficult Moments: Practical Solutions for Tantrums, Rage, and Meltdowns
  • Freaks, Geeks and Aspergers Syndrome: A User Guide to Adolescence
  • The New Social Story Book: Over 150 Social Stories that Teach Everyday Social Skills to Children with Autism or Asperger's Syndrome, and Their Peers
  • Pretending to Be Normal: Living with Asperger's Syndrome
  • 1001 Great Ideas for Teaching and Raising Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Lifesaver for Parents and Professionals Who Interact Children with Autism and Asperger's Syndrome
  • The Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships
  • A Parent's Guide to Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism, First Edition: How to Meet the Challenges and Help Your Child Thrive
  • Can I tell you about Asperger Syndrome?: A guide for friends and family
  • Mindblindness: An Essay on Autism and Theory of Mind
  • Asperger's From the Inside Out: A Supportive and Practical Guide for Anyone with Asperger's Syndrome
  • Unstrange Minds: Remapping the World of Autism
  • Thinking About You Thinking About Me: Philosophy and strategies to further develop perspective taking and communicative abilities for persons with Asperger ... Autism, Hyperlexia, ADHD, PDD-NOS, NVLD
  • All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome
  • Growing Up on the Spectrum: A Guide to Life, Love, and Learning for Teens and Young Adults with Autism and Asperger's
  • The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun: Activities for Kids with Sensory Processing Disorder
  • Aspergirls: Empowering Females with Asperger Syndrome
  • Asperger Syndrome and Long-Term Relationships
Tony Attwood is an English psychologist who lives in Queensland, Australia and is an author of several books on Asperger's Syndrome. He received an honours degree in psychology from the University of Hull, an M.A. in clinical psychology from the University of Surrey, and a Ph.D. from University College London under Uta Frith. His book, Asperger's Syndrome: A Guide for Parents and Professionals, pr ...more
More about Tony Attwood...