Start by marking “Creatures of the Night: In Search of Ghosts, Vampires, Werewolves and Demons” as Want to Read:
Creatures of the Night: In Search of Ghosts, Vampires, Werewolves and Demons

Creatures of the Night: In Search of Ghosts, Vampires, Werewolves and Demons

3.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  35 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Intrigued by some of the most sinister legends of Western civilization, Gregory Reece goes in search of answers to the question: why is our culture so obsessed by the eerie and the macabre? Why have the Twilight and True Blood series skyrocketed in popularity, with millions of readers and primetime television and movie adaptations? Whether tracking night-stalking werewolve ...more
Published May 8th 2012 by I. B. Tauris (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Creatures of the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creatures of the Night

Edwina Hall Callan
Nov 21, 2013 Edwina Hall Callan rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book, 2013
I don't like the comic book cover of this book as I find it very misleading about what this book is about.
The Author goes in search of Ghosts, Vampires, Werewolves, Demons, and Satanists.
This book is a History lesson, mixed with scary movies, mixed with facts and fables, mixed with creepy and sometimes downright silly. (He thinks "The Amityville Horror" is true even though it was revealed to be a hoax years ago. Research, dude.)
This book touches on everything from "The Wizard of Oz" to Aleister
James
Jan 28, 2013 James rated it liked it
I disagree with the other review. The author approached the modern vampires/werewolves/satanists in a scholarly fashion, i.e. he took what they said at face value and presented them as though what they said was at least true to them. That's not the same thing as believing them, or "pretending to believe" them. He has a PhD in religious studies, so I doubt he takes any religion seriously except in a scholarly way.

If you've read a lot about these sorts of topics you're not going to find anything n
Steve Wiggins
Mar 29, 2013 Steve Wiggins rated it really liked it
Fun, but somewhat serious look at paranormal creatures. A liminal book, not quite science, and not quite fiction. A creepy romp through territory best not walked alone. See more at: Sects and Violence in the Ancient World.
Robert
Jan 24, 2014 Robert rated it liked it
In this very brief book, Reece explores things which frighten us and how they are depicted in literature and cinema.

On the whole it is very well researched and I learnt a lot of things, but I found the writing style a bit mawkish at times and transitions from one topic to another are very messily executed. If you are a beginner to the world of vampires and werewolves etc, then this is the best place to start.

Plus it felt rather creepy reading this with a storm outside.
peaseblossom
Sep 07, 2012 peaseblossom rated it it was ok
Shelves: creepy
So, this book was already at a disadvantage with me because it's a fairly slim volume on a topic that I already know lots about, and there was very little new here; but it completely lost me when it started taking things like people who actually want to be vampires and werewolves (as opposed to people who occasionally like to pretend that they're vampires and werewolves) seriously. All of the modern day vampire/werewolf/exorcist/satanist parts seemed grafted on, cursory, and mostly stupid, like, ...more
Ruben Monteiro
Jul 06, 2015 Ruben Monteiro rated it did not like it
Probably the worse book that I ever read. It' was some good trivia details, but besides that, it's a drag.
Soukyan Blackwood
Jun 11, 2014 Soukyan Blackwood rated it liked it
Such a vast topic and such a narrow book...
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Traci Honda
Traci Honda marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Brazao
Brazao marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Russell
Russell rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Bookjunk
Bookjunk rated it did not like it
Aug 08, 2016
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Matt
Matt rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2015
Nocturnalux
Nocturnalux is currently reading it
Nov 11, 2015
Wendy
Wendy rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Richard De
Richard De rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2015
Grim
Grim marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Denny
Denny marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Simon
Simon rated it really liked it
May 06, 2015
Choco Fresa
Choco Fresa rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2015
Jen
Jen added it
May 16, 2015
Russ Addams
Russ Addams rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it did not like it
Jul 12, 2014
Mia
Mia marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Theresahpir
Theresahpir rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2014
Lydia Peever
Lydia Peever rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2014